OS X x86 10.4.3 DVD

domino

89 posts in this topic

i read this thread but must have missed something...can someone get me caught up?

are you saying that you are actually able to use the 10.4.3 install dvd despite the TPM?

why would using it under pear or vmware make 1 bit of difference regarding the TPM?

also i dont get the part about installing 10.4.3 on a real PPC mac external drive, then moving it to a PC to just blow it over again with darwin...why?

i read this thread but must have missed something...can someone get me caught up?

are you saying that you are actually able to use the 10.4.3 install dvd despite the TPM?

why would using it under pear or vmware make 1 bit of difference regarding the TPM?

also i dont get the part about installing 10.4.3 on a real PPC mac external drive, then moving it to a PC to just blow it over again with darwin...why?

You can install the 10.4.3 DVD through 10.4.1, but you can't boot it.

There's no difference about the TPM installing it in pearPC or in VMware, as PearPC is considered a PowerPC emulator so it installs OS X 10.4.3 while in VMWare it installs it on the disk and a HELL OF A LOT quicker.

You don't put Darwin over it as OS X already includes Darwin as the underpinnings of it.

There's no difference about the TPM installing it in pearPC or in VMware, as PearPC is considered a PowerPC emulator so it installs OS X 10.4.3 while in VMWare it installs it on the disk and a HELL OF A LOT quicker.

You don't put Darwin over it as OS X already includes Darwin as the underpinnings of it.

Hi,

here is my first attempt for a try-to-native-install:

I made an iso, copied over some files, the old utilities, and burned it. I took the 10.4.1 CD, made a boot,

pressed F8, then I changed the CD to the new 10.4.3. I must have missed something. I boot with the -v flag,

to see what happens, and it quits me out with an [4220a20] error. (Did not found that string in any source of

the whole DVD.) it is looking for the com.apple.Boot.plist.

But what is very strange: it looks also for a com.apple.lreBoot.plist in the same folder (lib/prefs/sysconfig),

that does not exists :P

Well, I really did not expect it to work, but if I missed something, please tell me. :)

I think its funny that people come forward with all of these assumptions - just gives Apple new ideas for future releases. With all the speculation that people have made and publicly posted on the board, we're handing ideas right into Apple's hands.

Until we actually know what is going on, is it really that good for the life of the project to post what we *THINK* their methods may be?

I think its funny that people come forward with all of these assumptions - just gives Apple new ideas for future releases. With all the speculation that people have made and publicly posted on the board, we're handing ideas right into Apple's hands.

Until we actually know what is going on, is it really that good for the life of the project to post what we *THINK* their methods may be?

It's quite fine, do you REALLY think Apple, with thousands of professional programmers, couldn't figure out something this simple?

Eh. I highly doubt they'd think up every little thing that we have - they'd think of other things, that MAY be less effective.

I dunno. I'm just thinking in the longterm. Don't mind me.

BTW, is there a way to take a PearPC image and get VMWare to recognize it as a second hard disk? I just get an error that its not a snapshot and what not.

thanks...are you saying that people are using pear on x86 to emulate a ppc mac, which CAN run the 10.4.3 installer just like a real mac could, but then somehow they are getting the 10.4.3 installer to write out an x86 image and not a ppc image ( thats the part thats throwing me), and that this resultant image, is not bootable?

and this is the part i don't get that macgirl posted...i cant figure out the rationale below..

Another method of mine also worked, install with a Mac on an external disk, then made an image of that installation, then put the disk on a PC, format the disk with Darwin to enable boot, then attahc the disk again to a Mac, copy back the image to the disk. The thing with this method is that disk formated with Mac wont boot on PC, so you need to format the disk on a PC and copy the contents of OS to it.

1043upg11on.th.png1043upg27la.th.png

:( Ive just tried to instal 10.4.3 on my lappy,(Compaq Evo N1000v) up till now has worked seamlesly with every other install, 10.4.1 and Deadmoo. But with this disk when i boot from the 10.4.3 install disk straight away i get a message sayin (This Hardware Configuration is not Supported by Darwin/x86. (3)) This is wierd dont you all think? :(:(:(:(:(

P.S Just browsing the disk and found Ati driver bundle. This isn't for graphics is it. ill attach it below.

pps wont let me attach to big.

As far as I am aware, OS X x86 contains unibins of the system architecture.

This means that you can install a PPC installation and it will still have x86 support built in. Is this correct? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

ok...i can't imagine this is true.

yes, apps can now be compiled as unibins... but these are bundles and inside the bundle folder you will likely see 2 different binaries one for each platform.

frameworks, kernels, etc, are a whole different story.

if what you say is true [outside of any TPM], i could literally ditto, dd, or otherwise copy my entire G5 PPC 10.4.3 install from my powermac g5 and have it happily run on x86, which strikes me as *very* farfetched.

rather, i would think the installer would install x86 kernels, libraries, and frameworks or ppc ones.

maybe this is indeed what this thread has been about and why i have been so confused, because this does seem to be what you guys are talking about...very strange...

Ok, sry4 my last post, i already found the hex entrys for the uuid. I think this may be

no biggie 4 the real skilled here, the only thing differs from x.1 is that this nasty little

f*cker is 422a20.

btw. has s.o. tried just 4 the fun of it to make a lre.boot with the uuid? It is nasty to allways

pay attention not to convert the dmg with non ntfs...

yes, apps can now be compiled as unibins... but these are bundles and inside the bundle folder you will likely see 2 different binaries one for each platform.

if what you say is true [outside of any TPM], i could literally ditto, dd, or otherwise copy my entire G5 PPC 10.4.3 install from my powermac g5 and have it happily run on x86, which strikes me as *very* farfetched.

rather, i would think the installer would install x86 kernels, libraries, and frameworks or ppc ones.

maybe this is indeed what this thread has been about and why i have been so confused, because this does seem to be what you guys are talking about...very strange...

With the x86 releases you can take the install (from the x86 DVD) off of a G5 and put it on your P4 and it'd boot and run just fine.

With the x86 releases you can take the install (from the x86 DVD) off of a G5 and put it on your P4 and it'd boot and run just fine.

wow, too cool. i am really surprised and amazed.

so then is the TPM hack needed on SSE3? maxus 0.5 oah750 or no?

everything works?

this is actually the full darwin 8.3 with all of its open source goodies compiled for x86?

http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/10.4.3/

including ALL NEW DRIVERS?!

just sounds too easy man...

If I knew what bender and them did to make it work on non-915 chipsets then we could do the same here as I wouldn't doubt that they just changed what it checked for, rather then a broad chipset it's a certain motherboard.

here is another one for the hex, only available in the google cache, so save it ;)

http://66.249.93.104/search?q=cache:ivx7vo...lient=firefox-a

thanks...are you saying that people are using pear on x86 to emulate a ppc mac, which CAN run the 10.4.3 installer just like a real mac could, but then somehow they are getting the 10.4.3 installer to write out an x86 image and not a ppc image ( thats the part thats throwing me), and that this resultant image, is not bootable?

images are not PPC or X86, they are some kind of universal.

The thing about installing with PearPC is that you got a clean install to work with.

Yo you have a working image in VMWare, then another new and clean image of 10.4.3, what you can patch with any file you want and instead of opening with transmac or macdrive (that sometimes caus problems in the image) you attach the the new image as second disk on vmware and work with it.

Why Mac formatted disks wont boot is because PPC Mac use a different scheme of partition for hard drives, so if you install a HD with a Mac it has the Mac scheme, the need to put Darwin to the HD is for write the MBR and the PC scheme partition, without it, it wont boot.

No, only if you made a fresh install with DevKit DVD

I installed 10.4.1 with PearPC (deadmoo take my method for creating his image), I ran Software Update with PearPC and it was upgraded to 10.4.2 but the vesrion change from Dev to normal PPC and it wont boot on VMWare any more.

My 10.4.1 PearPC method was faster than intalling with a Mac because the reformat/copy back process, but with 10.4.3 took much time, I think installing with Mac is faster now.

Yo you can install Tiger X86 with a Mac but do not upgrade because it loses the unibins.

wow, too cool. i am really surprised and amazed.

so then is the TPM hack needed on SSE3? maxus 0.5 oah750 or no?

everything works?

After install you need to patch the files to run on a standard PC, so TPM hack is needed, and if you don't have SSE3 it needs patched Rosetta for SSE2.