OS X x86 10.4.3 DVD

domino

89 posts in this topic

Hmm... Macgirl, is it really all that viable in PearPC? I've not used PearPC much. In fact, I couldn't even install 10.4.1 in PearPC - it hung on the disk utility - but it appears you have it running?

it's only a way to install the files from dvd to a partition or hd image, but you will still need an anti-tpm patch. deathchills method is easier if you have a running 10.4.1 or a patched install dvd.

so i've been playing around a little bit more. Seems like unless I run safari in ppc mode, I can't use WMP extension files, though that was probably the same before. The real kicker is that I can't use Quicktime at all in any of the sites that I visit.

I didn't really use the "Video" section of iTunes before, so I'm feeling like it wouldn't be that big of a deal for me to try and revert back to the older version of iTunes that came with 10.4.1. I was going to use Pacifist to transplant the old Quicktime.app file over the new one. This has worked for Textedit, Mail, and Dictionary (all of which stopped functioning for me in native mode after the update), but I'm wondering if it would also work for Quicktime? Many users have reported quicktime changes breaking their installation.

Any hints/tips/thoughts/suggestions guys?

edit: scratch that last post guys. It looks like oddly enough, Quicktime is working now.

I still can't get my iTunes to play any video (all i get is a blank grey box and a play indicator moving along as if it were playing the file) and in Safari I still can't access sites that require or use quicktime (tested on iFilm.com)

it's genuine

there's the multilanguage support.

and other stuff too :P

Multilanguage support.... It will be great to share the language packages(specially spanish :D ).

Using PPc packages produces some language remix and "spanglish" effect...

Greetings from Spain.

Hi,

a suggestion to hack around the kernel:

Wouldn't it be possible, to run Softice or any other deep kernel debugger

while running VMWare? This would make it possible to set a breakpoint at

the request and let it jump to the next point behind it.

I do not think that the TCPM is fully implemented by now. So it will possibly

just ask once for the protection.

Well just an idea, now tell me, if it's possible 4u or not :P

xtraa

Hi,

a suggestion to hack around the kernel:

Well just an idea, now tell me, if it's possible 4u or not :)

xtraa

In 10.4.1 TPM checks were in oah750 and in a kext, right? Are you sure now it's in the kernel?

Are you sure now it's in the kernel?

I am really far away from what I would call sure :)

Don't let me confuse you, this was just a suggestion, according to the post of linuxguru

...in fact it makes sense to me that this is probably where the kernel is quite possibly looking for a TPM chip at

that point and VMware probably doesnt know how to deal with it...

What method was used to do it in 10.4.1?

Would not be better to use a debugger for Mac OS X running under PearPC, or Re-routing System Calls (http://www.kernelthread.com/mac/apme/syscall/)?

Just another idea...

Hmm... Macgirl, is it really all that viable in PearPC? I've not used PearPC much. In fact, I couldn't even install 10.4.1 in PearPC - it hung on the disk utility - but it appears you have it running?

Indeed, deadmoo installation was based on my method, install with PearPC, attach that image to VMWare, patch files, then dd to physical disk and run natively.

If PearPC appeared as runnig it was, the thing with PearPC is that it emulates PPC Mac, but it is very slow, yesterday it took more than 6 hours to install 10.4.3, and in some PCs with a slower processor it took forever. So expect Disk Utility to run very slow also.

Install 10.4.1 with PearPC took me one hour, so this is weird.

Another method of mine also worked, install with a Mac on an external disk, then made an image of that installation, then put the disk on a PC, format the disk with Darwin to enable boot, then attahc the disk again to a Mac, copy back the image to the disk. The thing with this method is that disk formated with Mac wont boot on PC, so you need to format the disk on a PC and copy the contents of OS to it.

Right now I'm upgrading Mac OS X with the 10.4.3 DVD, here are some pics:

1043upg11on.th.png1043upg27la.th.png

After leaving it to its devices all night, it installed and it runs.

I had to turn off AltiVec in order to get the first boot to go but it seems that after that, emulating with AltiVec works without any issue other than graphics, which is related to the video driver, not the CPU mode.

One thing... when the installer opens, it asks what language you want to use. The button is missing at the bottom of the screen... you have to click right in the center or it doesn't go anywhere. Just a tip for those who install it.

But in any case, it ran just fine. I did a fresh install on a blank .img and while its DEFINITELY slow... it is usable.