x86 version of 10.2

Dragon

166 posts in this topic

if anyone knows where a copy would be available could they please help us out?

ALSO, would the same source modifications semthex used on the 10.4.8 kernel work on the open source version of an earlier OS X that doesn't rely on sse2? that would be an osx86 breakthrough if that was possible.

i know where to get it. you go to apple's headquarters (1 infinite loop, cupertino, california). make sure you enter via the back door as there are guards with machine guns at the front door. turn left at the first hallway. right at the next. right again. go down the stairs straight ahead. turn left. go down the other flight. turn right. go to the safe. the code's 8-90-24. careful. move too fast and it'll set off the alarm. there's 351 dvds in that safe. one of them contains mac os x jaguar x86 edition. if you can, just take them all since they only have dates on them. good luck getting out of there, though. they have silent alarms everywhere and if you set one off there's no way to know without having a machine gun pointed at you.

Edited by CyBrian

well this : http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsour...nx86-141.iso.gz

is 10.0 darwin binary (x86)

and this : http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/10.0/

is the 10.0 darwin source

i found out that older versions of darwin don't require sse2 but most os x applications require sse2 to run. still... getting os x to run would be an accomplishment.

I don't think it would need to be patched and it should support SSE2 CPU's. 10.2 was introduced in 2002 and SSE3 was introduced in 2004.

It was an internal development build to be used on "ADP" machines, which basically were regular PC's, I suppose.

So,

Finding it should be sufficient.

If this had leaked, wouldnt it have been a similiar situation to the release of OSx86? What I mean is we would have had the same situation as we had last november, only a 3 years ago. OS X on x86 would have been huge even 3 years ago.... I might be wrong of course.

it did leak to the internet... http://www.mymac.com/showarticle.php?id=1048

it did leak... Marklar-Tiger.iso :) so, all i have to do now is find that {censored}

well, that wasnt hard, i found it, just gotta check if it has seeds :D cant wait to share!

found two copies, an iso copy and an .dmg, im downloading both and cant wait to get them done for you guys ;)

mcskywalker: the 10.2 darwin kernel (x86) runs on sse-only pc's. I had it running on my p3 laptop a while ago.

EDIT: The Marklar build of Tiger was the first build to be leaked to the public. I think that if Jaguar was leaked it would be a very rare find.

we have the darwin kernel source for the x86 10.2 build but we don't have the rest of the jaguar intel files. if we can't get the jaguar x86 build then the only other option would be to try and use the jaguar kernel with tiger, but still most of tiger probably relies on sse2.

The latest version of darwin that does not require SSE2 is OS X 10.4 - darwin kernel version 8.0.0.

8.0.1 is the first version that requires SSE2.

the kernel version in marklar-tiger.dmg is 8.1 (10.4.1), so it may be possible to use the earlier tiger kernel in the marklar-tiger image with a bit of modifying.

please correct me if any of this info is wrong.

EDIT: remember, we got every version of OS X from 10.4.4 to 10.4.8 running on 8.4.1 kernel. And also got leopard running on the tiger 10.4.8 kernel.

cant we just use a 10.2 install dvd?

No, we can't.

We haven't got ANY 10.2 install DVD that works on Intel processors, we only have the PPC version of Jaguar.

And still if we can make 10.4.1 running on processors without SSE2 instructions, it seems to be pointless, because almost every universal binary actually shipping requires at least Mac OS X 10.4.3/4.

But... I just saw somewhere that the internal 10.4.2 build of Mac OS X x86 was hacked to allow the applications built with it or further releases of Mac OS X run on previous Mac OS X x86 releases too, so... Maybe we can make a lot of applications work even without 10.4.3 and even without SSE2.

Sherry Haibara