[pre-release] macOS Sonoma

1,844 posts in this topic

Hi guys;

Here we go again, Apple dropping support for many devices and the game starts to get them back. I'm sure in time OpenCore Legacy Patcher (many thanks to Acidanthera team) will add those kexts and will make our hackintoshes and Macs whole again but in the meanwhile what I have found out so far is:

There is no IO80211FamilyLegacy.kext inside SLE folder which explains the lack of WiFi support for BCM4360 chipsets (Mostly used on fenvi T919 cards) iMac 2019 uses BCM4364 chipset which has the device ID: 0x4464 I tried to spoof the device ID which didn't work or adding the IO80211FamilyLegacy.kext in OpenCore kext folder which resulted in Kernel Panic.

fenvi T919 uses BCM4360 so there's no wonder if we don't have WiFi.

So let's see if we can get the WiFi 

On a side note installation wen't fine on my KabyLake rig with AMD RX580 and MacPro7,1 SMBIOS.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It seems that the changes that Apple is making are being repeated. I remember that in the Monterey Developer preview, the bluetooth didn't work. It only came to work fully in the last DP's.

I think Apple is changing the structure of these wi-fi kexts. Let's see the next updates.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cyberdevs said:

I tried to spoof the device ID which didn't work or adding the IO80211FamilyLegacy.kext in OpenCore kext folder which resulted in Kernel Panic.

Yes I actually tried the same method, as Apple has the system files locked down so like you I tried the kext in OC Kext folder which resulted exactly as you reported.

I agree a work around will be found soon enough either that or the omission of the kext from Sonoma was an error by the Apple engineers and will be added back in another Beta release (insert wishful thinking here).

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, eSaF said:

Yes I actually tried the same method, as Apple has the system files locked down so like you I tried the kext in OC Kext folder which resulted exactly as you reported.

I agree a work around will be found soon enough either that or the omission of the kext from Sonoma was an error by the Apple engineers and will be added back in another Beta release (insert wishful thinking here).

I don't think they forgot
kext of our Broadcom 😄

Also, none of the official Macs supported by Sonoma already have these Wi-Fi devices...

• Sad 2

19 hours ago, aben said:

Successfully installed/booted on my Dell Skylake laptop spoofed to KBL (Yes! KBL drivers are still present). But sad to see Apple dropping Broadcom drivers - RIP Continuity.

image.thumb.png.23b4c350ecda113fdbf63cd5523c69b2.png

Can you please provide the fix? I tried to do the same on my Laptop but it Kernel Panics

• Like 3

@eSaF

I don'y think it was a mistake either but I might be wrong tho but what I'm sure of is that many thing will change in the next few months with the upcoming releases of Sonoma.

Apple doesn't need to support older devices so there is no point of keeping the kexts for those devices anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Cyberdevs said:

@eSaF

I don'y think it was a mistake either but I might be wrong tho but what I'm sure of is that many thing will change in the next few months with the upcoming releases of Sonoma.

Apple doesn't need to support older devices so there is no point of keeping the kexts for those devices anyway.

But in the worst case, if these cards that we have no longer work... could I buy one of the ones that the iMac 2019 or MacPro have???

Just now, PoMpIs said:

But in the worst case, if these cards that we have no longer work... could I buy one of the ones that the iMac 2019 or MacPro have???

I'm not sure if you can find any devices with the same chipsets as iMac19,1, as far as I know the WiFi chipset is soldered on the logic board in those iMacs.

• Sad 2

Ok so what about Macs that has these cards, is Apple willing to cast aside customers with this omission?

It's much too early to feel desperate and I think a solution will be found.

Edit - Ok I see maybe you answered my query with the last post above. Apple has really taken the price of progress to the extreme with this move.

Edited by eSaF
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Cyberdevs said:

I'm not sure if you can find any devices with the same chipsets as iMac19,1, as far as I know the WiFi chipset is soldered on the logic board in those iMacs.

Well, it seems that you are right, there is nothing at all on ebay... and neither is the MacPro 2019 😭

1 minute ago, eSaF said:

Ok so what about Macs that has these cards, is Apple willing to cast aside customers with this omission?

I think that none of the official Macs on which Sonoma can be installed none already have these BCM wiffi, so it's normal for them to be removed 😔

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, PoMpIs said:

I think that none of the official Macs on which Sonoma can be installed none already have these BCM wiffi, so it's normal for them to be removed 😔

In that case I am weeping already. 😢

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

1 minute ago, eSaF said:

In that case I am weeping already. 😢

The same thing happens to me, I have two laptops with these wiffi, and even the z790. I removed the integrated intel wiffi from the rear panel and put the BCM in the M.2 slot... if I have to change them I would have to disassemble everything, and laptops are even worse 🥴

• Sad 3

7 minutes ago, eSaF said:

If you look at post that @aben made on the first page you'll see there are no Macs in the list with older Broadcom WiFi modules, so our only hope is either OCLP adds the legacy kexts later on or Apple magically decides to add the legacy support for older WiFi modules which I seriously doubt :(

@PoMpIs

Yeah I was hoping for the Intel WiFI to replace the roll of our beloved fenvi cards. But honestly I haven't even upgraded my rig to Ventura so I doubt I'll upgrade to Sonoma anyways lol

But let's stay on topic for the time being.

• Like 3

If you look at post that @aben made on the first page you'll see there are no Macs in the list with older Broadcom WiFi modules, so our only hope is either OCLP adds the legacy kexts later on or Apple magically decides to add the legacy support for older WiFi modules which I seriously doubt :(

I suppose we can only hope for one or the other, the current wifi situation is pretty dismal.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, surenmunoo said:

We may need to look at usb wifi dongle options 

If ever a manufacturer like Fenvi comes up with a card native to Sonoma, the price will be quite prohibitive I can imagine but we will still buy it because the alternative will be a thousand fold if you catch my drift. :wink_anim:

• Like 5

And speaking of my other hack...

I have updated all kext and OC with the latest updates, and now I can start Sonoma without -lilubetaall ...

But RestritcEvents does not work at all... the previous version worked partially for me, but the last one nothing, the memory error appears, and the CPU as unknown 

1931561270_Capturadepantalla2023-06-06alas21_28_51.thumb.png.d3aaeab832d4d478f223d62310e8f7e9.png

Does it work well for you? 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, PoMpIs said:

I have updated all kext and OC with the latest updates, and now I can start Sonoma without -lilubetaall ...

Good call :thumbsup_anim: I was wondering that my self but was too scared to remove the boot-arg after updating OC and kexts with the latest. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

macOS 14 b1 installed on Z390 + i9-9900k + 6600 XT + latest OpenCore and kexts.

Issues so far:

• iMacPro1,1 with SecureBootModel j137 or j160 or x86legacy: KP when booting from macOS Installer, installation never ending, I can boot back to the current Ventura 13.4 disk.
  • iMac19,1 with SecureBootModel x86legacy: I can install Sonoma, installation ended successfully, no wifi (Fenvi T919), no Ethernet (Intel I219V7).
  • MacPro7,1 with SecureBootModel j160 or x86legacy: I can install Sonoma, installation ended successfully, no wifi (Fenvi T919), Ethernet works (Intel I219V7), but RestrictEvents not loaded so the old memory misconfiguration warning is displayed >> solved with RestrictEvents 1.1.2 fc446c5    @PMheart. @PoMpIs

Tried for the wifi (no success):

• DisableIoMapperMapping yes and not
  • DMAR table dropped and not dropped.

Moderately satisfied but network issue is a major drawback for me.

Edited by miliuco
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1