OpenCore General Discussion

dgsga
8,759 posts in this topic

I used secure boot, fast boot, CSM disable, Windows 8/10  HQ, Above 4G disable, and never had issue...boot in 11 seconds...never fail! 

On 12/18/2022 at 8:00 AM, SavageAUS said:

I have seen some videos on making OpenCore to be able to boot with UEFI secure boot, which it seems would need to be done with every update in OC.
What I am wondering is if a tool can be created to automate this process? Select OpenCore.EFI > make sure bootable > reboot > success?

Anyone got something like this on the radar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OCAT tool is easy to use, but I preferred manually....

EDIT: After completing the Monterey 12.6.2 installation, I copied my EFI to the SSD, changed Secure Boot Model back to Default and rebooted from the SSD EFI.  Monterey 12.6.2 boots fine with Secure Boot Model = Default.  I only needed Secure Boot Model = Disabled for Monterey 12.6.2 installation.

EDIT2: Reinstalled Big Sur and confirmed that Secure Boot Model = Disabled is not required on my HackBookPro15,2 for a clean installation of Big Sur 11.7.2.

=========================================

Why would I need to set Misc > Security > Secure Boot Model = Disabled in order to install Monterey 12.6.2 on a KabyLake-R / UHD620 laptop (SMBIOS MacBookPro15,2)?  Details below...

I am performing a from-scratch reinstallation of Monterey 12.6.2 on a Kabylake-R  (i5-8250U / UHD620) laptop.  I started my clean installation of Monterey with the OC 0.8.5 EFI that I previously used without issues for a Big Sur installation and then a Monterey upgrade (from Big Sur).  My original EFI includes Misc > Security > Secure Boot Model = Default and has worked without problems with Big Sur and then Monterey.

The first phase of the Monterey 12.6.2 installation from USB flash drive proceeded without any problems; however, when the installer rebooted for the second phase of the installation, I found that the installer was stuck in a boot loop, where the boot failed early in the boot cycle with the last verbose line [EB | LOG RESET : RECOVERY] 2022-12-23T1437:41

I made a very lucky guess and changed MIsc > Security > Secure Boot Model from Default to Disabled.  After making this change, the second phase of the Monterey 12.6.2 installation proceeded without issues

Prior to this re-installation of Monterey, I have always performed installations and upgrades on this KabyLake-R laptop with Secure Boot Model = Default.  Can someone explain why a fresh install (not upgrade) of Monterey 12.6.2 required Secure Boot Model = Disabled for the second phase of the installation?

Thank you.

EDIT: After completing the Monterey 12.6.2 installation, I copied my EFI to the SSD, changed Secure Boot Model back to Default and rebooted from the SSD EFI.  Monterey 12.6.2 boots fine with Secure Boot Model = Default.  I only needed Secure Boot Model = Disabled for Monterey 12.6.2 installation.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 2

OpenCore now can hide (or make auxiliary) boot entries

We know that OpenCore hides its own EFI, it means that the EFI of the booting macOS system isn't shown in the picker.

But other EFI of not booting macOS systems are always shown in the picker, despite of many users don't like this behaviour and prefer to hide all EFI partitions.

Last commit of OpenCore 0.8.8 has added .contentVisibility to hide boot entries: exclude entries if there is a .contentVisibility file near the bootloader or inside the boot directory with Disabled content (ASCII). The entry will become auxiliary if its .contentVisibility file contains Auxiliary.

Spoiler

contentVisibility.thumb.jpg.ed11bf5df816aee3337662ddb2ad729a.jpg

By default the .contentVisibility file containing the text Disabled is already placed next to the BOOTx64.efi file. So, you don't have to do anything extra if you want to hide the macOS EFI partitions.

Spoiler

hidden-efi.jpg.e4c45b06ae782afab410589ca0223d92.jpg

Edited by miliuco
  • Like 5

On 12/24/2022 at 2:55 PM, nerox said:

Hi Guys, 

I'm trying to install Ventura on a bootable USB with OPENCORE 0.8.7, but it crashes on this screen. Can anybody help me?

Are you reset your NVRAM before boot? Checked your config.plist with ocvalidate? Don't use 2 EFI (like one on SSD/HD AND on USB). Choose only one method. Backup your files. 

Hi all

I can't build latest commit ca9a501 (Opencorepkg). Maybe there is something new in ocbuild with mtoc ! My system is under Catalina.

Processing meta-data .
Architecture(s)  = X64
Build target     = DEBUG
Toolchain        = XCODE5

Active Platform          = /Users/mathieu/OC/OpenCorepkg/UDK/OpenCorePkg/OpenCorePkg.dsc

build.py...
/Users/mathieu/OC/OpenCorepkg/UDK/OpenCorePkg/OpenCorePkg.dsc(54): error 000E: File/directory not found in workspace
	/Users/mathieu/OC/OpenCorepkg/UDK/MdePkg/Library/BaseOverflowLib/BaseOverflowLib.inf

EDIT: I remove UDK to have a clean directory. Then new message: Finished building BaseTools C Tools with HOST_ARCH=X64

SOLVED: Remove both mtoc and nasm in /usr/local/bin. Using build_oc.tool, I reinstall this two files automatically. I can build now 😅

See txt file

Résultat de Terminal

Edited by Matgen84
  • Like 2

On 12/29/2022 at 2:45 PM, Matgen84 said:

Hi all

I can't build latest commit ca9a501 (Opencorepkg). Maybe there is something new in ocbuild with mtoc ! My system is under Catalina.

Processing meta-data .
Architecture(s)  = X64
Build target     = DEBUG

Active Platform          = /Users/mathieu/OC/OpenCorepkg/UDK/OpenCorePkg/OpenCorePkg.dsc

build.py...
/Users/mathieu/OC/OpenCorepkg/UDK/OpenCorePkg/OpenCorePkg.dsc(54): error 000E: File/directory not found in workspace
	/Users/mathieu/OC/OpenCorepkg/UDK/MdePkg/Library/BaseOverflowLib/BaseOverflowLib.inf

EDIT: I remove UDK to have a clean directory. Then new message: Finished building BaseTools C Tools with HOST_ARCH=X64

SOLVED: Remove both mtoc and nasm in /usr/local/bin. Using build_oc.tool, I reinstall this two files automatically. I can build now 😅

See txt file

Résultat de Terminal 269.01 kB · 4 downloads

On systems where I use xcode-14.2 the compilation succeeds. On systems with Xcode-11.3.1 - there are problems with compiling open core from the master

LogSuccessfulCompileOC-ca9a501__Xcode14.2.zip LogErrorCompile_XC113.1-Os10.14.6:11.7.3.zip

• Sad 2

Clarification about ReservedMemory properties…

3. Size
Type: plist integer
Failsafe: 0
Description: Size of the reserved memory region, must be page-aligned (4 KBs).

Is size the total number of bytes reserved or the number of 4KB pages to reserve ?

General question : Can numbers be expressed in hexadecimal in config.plist ?

Thanks.

On 12/29/2022 at 9:45 AM, Matgen84 said:

Hi all

Processing meta-data .
Architecture(s)  = X64
Build target     = DEBUG

build.py...

See txt file

Résultat de Terminal 269.01 kB · 9 downloads

I am on BS 11.7.2 with Xcode 10.3 (10G8) and have the same problem compiling since latest commit.

I tried what solved it for you ( even tried various mtoc / nasm versions ) but unfortunately Terminal always stops with "Finished building BaseTools C Tools with HOST_ARCH=X64"

I hope one of the developers may find some time and have a look into it...

Problem solved with latest commit !

Thanks

Terminal-output

Edited by polkaholga
typos

1 hour ago, polkaholga said:

I am on BS 11.7.2 with Xcode 10.3 (10G8) and have the same problem compiling since latest commit.

I tried what solved it for you ( even tried various mtoc / nasm versions ) but unfortunately Terminal always stops with "Finished building BaseTools C Tools with HOST_ARCH=X64"

I hope one of the developers may find some time and have a look into it...

Terminal-output 248.37 kB · 1 download

Hi @polkaholga I used nasm and mtoc from ocbluid/external. How? After  I remove previous version, the script build_oc.tool proposes to install automatically (from ocbuild/extrnal) by answering with Y

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matgen84 said:

Hi @polkaholga I used nasm and mtoc from ocbluid/external. How? After  I remove previous version, the script build_oc.tool proposes to install automatically (from ocbuild/extrnal) by answering with Y

@Matgen84

Thanks for suggesting but I have already tried all options...

Manual installation and automatic from script build_oc.tool

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, pananning said:

Hi all, how can I use .contentVisibility to hide and disable boot entries?

Hi @pananning

Configuration.pdf page 41

• Exclude entries if there is a .contentVisibility file near the bootloader or inside the boot directory with
Disabled contents (ASCII).

30 minutes ago, Matgen84 said:

Hi @pananning

Configuration.pdf page 41

• Exclude entries if there is a .contentVisibility file near the bootloader or inside the boot directory with
Disabled contents (ASCII).

Thanks for your reply, how do I do it exactly?
I created the .contentVisibility file and put it in the \EFI\Microsoft\Boot directory, but it didn't block the Windows startup items

37 minutes ago, pananning said:

Thanks for your reply, how do I do it exactly?
I created the .contentVisibility file and put it in the \EFI\Microsoft\Boot directory, but it didn't block the Windows startup items

I don't use it. I think that you have to write Disabled inside the .contentvisibility file.

EDIT: I determined that the LegacyBoot utility included with OC0.8.8 does not load HFSPlusLegacy.efi.  Reverting to the LegacyBoot included with OC0.8.7 resolves the issue.  For now, I have upgraded to OC0.8.8 while retaining the LegacyBoot provided with OC0.8.7.

EDIT2: This problem has been reported here.

============================================

I tried upgrading my HackBookPro6,2 to OC0.8.8, but found that OC0.8.8 claims incompatibility with HFSPlusLegacy.efi.  For now, I have reverted to OC0.8.7.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so, how did you resolve the incompatibility?  Thank you.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 2

Can Anyone Give Me A Working OC 0.8.8 EFI, Had A Huge Computer Crash and LOST Everything.

Typing This on ONE Of My MacBook Air

6 hours ago, Stefanalmare said:

HP xw4600, Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Extreme CPU X9650  @ 3.00GHz, AMD Radeon HD 7750 1 GB, OC 0.8.8, HfsPlusLegacy.efi, no issue.

If you are not experiencing any issues with OC 0.8.8 LegacyBoot and HfsPlusLegacy.efi, it might help the Acidanthera developers if you post your configuration here.

1 hour ago, STLVNUB said:

Can Anyone Give Me A Working OC 0.8.8 EFI, Had A Huge Computer Crash and LOST Everything.

Typing This on ONE Of My MacBook Air

I'm not sure how this could possibly help you unless you have the identical hack, but my posted EFIs for OC 0.8.8 are here and here.  

• Like 1

Just now, deeveedee said:

I'm not sure how this could possibly help you unless you have the identical hack, but my posted EFIs for OC 0.8.8 are here and here.  

thanks, i'm just lazy and can tinker it to my system