OpenCore General Discussion

dgsga
8,759 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, pkdesign said:

I had ClearNvram.efi in my Tools folder but I disabled that. I guess I can go ahead and just delete it and the config entry.

Yes, if you have ResetNvramEntry.efi into Drivers folders you must remove ClearNvram.efi from Tools folder. It's since 0.8.1.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Beta 4 installed from Software Update without any trouble. Z390 + RX 6600 XT + i9 9900. Trying 6600 with softPowerPlayTable without WEG and without agdpmod boot-arg. iMacPro1,1. All went fine.

• Like 2

Important! Latest 0.8.3 commit has changed UEFI >> Drivers: changed Enabled (true / false) to Load (Early / Enabled / Disabled), we must update config.plist if using this build.

EDIT: NVRAM >> removed LegacyEnable key also.

Edited by miliuco
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Guest 5T33Z0
3 hours ago, miliuco said:

Important! Latest 0.8.3 commit has changed UEFI >> Drivers: changed Enabled (true / false) to Load (Early / Enabled / Disabled), we must update config.plist if using this build.

I wonder what "Early" might be useful for.

3 hours ago, 5T33Z0 said:

I wonder what "Early" might be useful for.

Looks like it is specifically for the emulated nvram driver, which needs to be loaded before OpenCore sets up NVRAM. The configuration pdf otherwise recommends using Enabled.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, miliuco said:

And changed back again already, after some user feedback. Feature still exists, but on a separate flag. Apologies to any early adopters or testers who may have had to change, then change back again!

The LoadEarly feature is to let the new emulated NVRAM driver load early enough to do its job. (And the main use case for the emulated NVRAM driver is for machines which have old and fragile NVRAM implementations, such as cMP5,1.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, miliuco said:

Changing back to Enabled, adding a new key LoadEarly specifically designed for OpenVariableRuntimeDxe.efi (emulated NVRAM driver) and machines which have old or incompatible NVRAM implementations, such as cMP5,1. Other drivers must have LoadEarly false by default.

https://github.com/acidanthera/OpenCorePkg/actions/runs/2756630976

These early builds can have throwbacks so stay tuned.

Thanks @Bmju

Edited by miliuco
  • Like 2

Info about the new driver OpenVariableRuntimeDxe.efi.

UEFI >> Drivers: added a new key LoadEarly specifically designed for OpenVariableRuntimeDxe.efi (emulated NVRAM driver) and machines with fragile (e.g. MacPro5,1) or incompatible NVRAM implementations.

Other drivers must have LoadEarly false by default.

Notes from PDF config file:

• OpenRuntime.efi specified after OpenVariableRuntimeDxe.efi in the Drivers list
  • OpenVariableRuntimeDxe.efi loaded using LoadEarly=true
  • LegacySchema populated
  • ExposeSensitiveData with at least bit 0x1 set
  • NVRAM values are loaded from NVRAM/nvram.plist
  • Reset NVRAM option installed by the ResetNvramEntry driver removes NVRAM/nvram.plist instead of affecting underlying NVRAM
  • CTRL+Enter in the OpenCore bootpicker updates or creates NVRAM/nvram.plist.

OC developers try to to bring emulated NVRAM closer to native NVRAM as much as possible.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, odemolay said:

hello is the quirk RequestBootVarRouting=yes/true still valid?  I have to hand-select the correct entry when updating Ventura.  I may be wrong but I don't remember it with previous OS

You can find this kind of information into docs folder in Opencore Release (Github) consulting configuration.pdf ans Sample.plist. And you can check your config.plist using ocvalidate (utilities folder) 😊

Edited by Matgen84
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, odemolay said:

hello is the quirk RequestBootVarRouting=yes/true still valid?  I have to hand-select the correct entry when updating Ventura.  I may be wrong but I don't remember it with previous OS

For Misc -> Boot -> LauncherOption = Full you needRequestBootVarRouting = yes.

"RequestBootVarRouting is required to reliably use the Startup Disk preference pane in firmware that is not compatible with macOS boot entries by design" (from configuration PDF).

I have it true. I think it's still valid.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, miliuco said:

For Misc -> Boot -> LauncherOption = Full you needRequestBootVarRouting = yes.

thank you I have checked, these are my settings, I also tried at the beginning of ventura with: Misc -> Boot -> LauncherOption = disable, it does not change anything finally, except if we reset the nvram, the windows disk will not be the first choice in the boot order in the Bios.
ocvalidat will validate the config.plist regardless of the option chosen (I think).
but on your side do you need to select the right choice in the open core menu during ventura updates?
I know that Clover's "lastBootedVolume" option does not exist to get closer to real macs when pressing the "option" key at startup.
it must be age or alcohol, but maybe I'have a fake souvenir, that before ventura the choice was made alone.

Edited by odemolay

5 minutes ago, matgeo said:

Do you use Hfsplus.efi on the drivers folder or the OpenHfsPlus.efi?
Is there any difference?

Most users have Hfsplus. It’s Apple proprietary and faster than OpenHfsPlus, this is free software. Both are valid. 

@odemolay

Pressing Control and Enter when desired disk is selected in the picker makes it the default boot disk. 

About LauncherOption, all values are valid, it depends of what you want, read about it in the Configuration PDF downloaded in the OpenCore package.

Edited by miliuco
  • Like 2

Anybody with a fully working efi please share it, I'm trying to track down a freeze then reset problem I have with intel wifi/bluetooth

Thanks🤠

@miliuco, @matgeo, Note that the HFS driver is not needed unless you need opencore to boot an HFS partition. Apple has switched to APFS a few versions of MacOS ago so unless you are running an older version of MacOS, you likely won't need that efi driver. My own efi doesn't have it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, rafale77 said:

Apple has switched to APFS a few versions of MacOS ago so unless you are running an older version of MacOS, you likely won't need that efi driver. My own efi doesn't have it.

That's interesting. Will have to test that on my machine.

38 minutes ago, eSaF said:

That's interesting. Will have to test that on my machine.

And if you want to dig deeper 😁, my EFI also no longer has a "Boot" folder. At some point (I can't remember when) OpenCore became independent from the bootx64.efi as well. I see a lot of people still carrying it in their EFI but it is no longer being used.😉

Edited by rafale77
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Guest ricoc90
3 hours ago, rafale77 said:

Note that the HFS driver is not needed unless you need opencore to boot an HFS partition

USB installers still format as HFS+j, right?

At some point (I can't remember when) OpenCore became independent from the bootx64.efi as well

OpenCore 0.6.6 :wink_anim:

Edited by ricoc90

Good point. Didn't think of the USB installer... guess I have to admit I have not used one in years as I have been using updates only since before Catalina... even moving from one machine to another...

Now I am also looking at eliminating SSDT-USBX since it is redundant with the USBmap kext. I will remove the power injection in one of the two, just have not decided which one...

Edited by rafale77

On 7/30/2022 at 4:24 PM, matgeo said:

Do you use Hfsplus.efi on the drivers folder or the OpenHfsPlus.efi?
Is there any difference?

HFSplus.efi is Apple's private driver. It is fast and good for our purpose but it is not licensed to distribute on GitHub.

So why there is opensource analog OpenHfsPlus.efi. But it is slow. 

You may choose private driver for own use. You must choose opensource driver if any law fear.

You should not choose both driver simultaneously. 

• Like 1