123 posts in this topic

On 6/27/2021 at 8:32 AM, Hervé said:

So my conclusions are that, with the current beta/dev version made available (build 21996.1):

1. Win11 needs TPM On/enabled to install
  2. Win11 does not need TPM On/enabled to boot & run
  3. Win11 does not need TPM v2.0 minimum as stated in several places by several people
  4. Win11 does not need Secure Boot as stated in several places by several people
  5. no impact whatsoever to expect for Hackintosh
  6. macOS is still able and will most likely continue to be able to boot and run whether TPM is on or off

In other words, no worries to have.

I no longer have anything older than Ivy Bridge but looking at Dell Latitude laptops going back to Sandy Bridge, 1st gen Arrandale E Series or even old Merom/Penryn D Series, most of them have TPM option in BIOS; as such I reckon that many old systems will still be able to run Win11 and OS X/macOS, as long as the hardware remains supported of course, especially the graphics.

I agree with all of @Hervé's comments above. 

I downloaded the publicly released Windows 11 21H2 (Build 22000.51) via the UUP method ---> converted to ISO ---> clean installed with Install.wim/DISM from my Windows 10 partition on my legacy BIOS GA-P55aUD3.  In the example below, I was booted into Windows 10 on Disk0 and installing/applying the Windows 11 install.wim onto Disk1 (assigned letter W: to the Windows 11 partition, disk1 partition number3, and letter S: to the Windows 11 system partition, disk1 EFI partition number1).  Note install.wim was located on USB disk2, drive F:\sources\install.wim.

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19042.508]
(c) 2020 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>diskpart

Microsoft DiskPart version 10.0.19041.1

Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.
On computer: DESKTOP-2LR5UL1

DISKPART> list disk

Disk ###  Status         Size     Free     Dyn  Gpt
  --------  -------------  -------  -------  ---  ---
  Disk 0    Online           32 GB      0 B        *
  Disk 1    Online           60 GB      0 B        *
  Disk 2    Online           59 GB      0 B        *

DISKPART> sel disk 1

Disk 1 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> list part

Partition ###  Type              Size     Offset
  -------------  ----------------  -------  -------
  Partition 1    System             199 MB    17 KB
  Partition 2    Reserved           128 MB   200 MB
  Partition 3    Primary             59 GB   328 MB

DISKPART> sel part 1

Partition 1 is now the selected partition.

DISKPART> assign letter=S

DiskPart successfully assigned the drive letter or mount point.

DISKPART> sel part 3

Partition 3 is now the selected partition.

DISKPART> assign letter=W

DiskPart successfully assigned the drive letter or mount point.

DISKPART> exit

Leaving DiskPart...

C:\Windows\system32>F:

F:\>cd sources

F:\sources>Dism /Get-ImageInfo /ImageFile:F:\sources\install.wim

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.22000.1

Details for image : F:\sources\install.wim

Index : 1
Name : Windows 11 Pro
Description : Windows 11 Pro
Size : 18,257,537,525 bytes

The operation completed successfully.

F:\sources>Dism /apply-image /ImageFile:F:\sources\install.wim /index:1 /ApplyDir:W:\

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.22000.1

Applying image
[==========================100.0%==========================]
The operation completed successfully.

F:\sources>bcdboot /?

Bcdboot - Bcd boot file creation and repair tool.

The bcdboot.exe command-line tool is used to copy critical boot files to the
system partition and to create a new system BCD store.

bcdboot <source> [/l <locale>] [/s <volume-letter> [/f <firmware>]] [/v]
                 [/vbcd] [/m [{OS Loader ID}]] [/addlast] [/p] [/c]

source     Specifies the location of the windows system root.

/l         Specifies an optional locale parameter to use when
             initializing the BCD store. The default is US English.

/s         Specifies an optional volume letter parameter to designate
             the target system partition where boot environment files are
             copied.  The default is the system partition identified by
             the firmware.

/v         Enables verbose mode.

/vbcd      Enables BCD logging.

/m         If an OS loader GUID is provided, this option merges the
             given loader object with the system template to produce a
             bootable entry. Otherwise, only global objects are merged.

/d         Specifies that the existing default windows boot entry
             should be preserved.

/f         Used with the /s command, specifies the firmware type of the
             target system partition. Options for <firmware> are 'UEFI',
             'BIOS', or 'ALL'.

/addlast   Specifies that the windows boot manager firmware entry
             should be added last. The default behavior is to add it
             first.

/bcdclean  Clean the BCD Store. By default, simply removes any duplicate
             entries in the BCD. Can be followed by 'full'. In this case,
             each entry is scanned. If the corresponding device for that entry
             does not exist, the entry is deleted.

/p         Specifies that the windows boot manager firmware entry
             position should be preserved. If entry does not exist,
             new entry will be added in the first position.

/c         Specifies that any existing objects described by the template
             should not be migrated.

Examples: bcdboot c:\windows /l en-us
          bcdboot c:\windows /s h:
          bcdboot c:\windows /s h: /f UEFI
          bcdboot c:\windows /m {d58d10c6-df53-11dc-878f-00064f4f4e08}
          bcdboot c:\windows /d /addlast
          bcdboot c:\windows /p

F:\sources>bcdboot W:\Windows /s S: /f UEFI
Boot files successfully created.

Basically Windows 11 is like a "feature update" of Windows 10 (actually designated as 21H2)...

Spoiler

1587502638_Windows1121H2.thumb.png.0e3443cf4dac8a1f1369dc6ab9c82b57.png1288854833_Windows11oldhardwaresupportedandWindowsUpdateOK.thumb.png.bcdd077bcd61d673118f5668e4fb3821.png

Notes

• My >10 year old hardware does not have UEFI firmware (it is emulated by booting with Clover r5137), nor does it have Secure Boot
  • TPM2 requirement for install was bypassed with the Install.wim/DISM method linked above
  • My ATI HD 5770 graphics card is not DX12 capable but still OK in Windows 11 (using the Windows 10 DX11 driver).  Also my old printer/scanner, TV tuner card continue to work with Windows 10 drivers
  • During setup, I disabled internet to enable creation of a local account (don't want M$ spying)
  • HWID Activation works like in Windows 10.  If your machine was already activated for Windows 10 with a HWID digital license, it will automatically activate for Windows 11
  • Windows 11 update still working, even on my unsupported system

Obviously, things can change in the future (and Microsoft may incorporate further hardware checks beyond the installer) so I wouldn't recommend this as your main/only Windows installation on unsupported hardware.  If your hardware is fully supported, then go ahead...it works very much like Windows 10 but looks nicer/fresher 😀

Edited by fusion71au
corrected typo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Windows 11 Clean install. Download iso file from net, copied install.wim to a latest Windows 10 USB Installer and everything installed smoothly bypassing TPM and CPU requirements.

win11.jpg

• Like 1

Is there a link for a reliable and clean untouched version of Windows 11 insider? Since i don't have a PC with supported CPU, and i'm already years ago insider members, they only let me download Windows 10 insider. So unless i have a hardware capable in my PC for Windows 11, i can't download it from microsoft. Or if a gentle guy can upload he's clean ISO and send the link, i will be very grateful ^_^

Edited by ammoune78

Ok, so I did a fresh install on an Ivy Bridge system (IGPU only), of course with TPM bypassed. After the installation was complete and a search for updates, I had a fully working Windows 11. I think it downloads the Windows 10 drivers. Let's see what happens in the future. BTW. BCD still recognize Win11 as Win10.

I've downloaded one from the net, and can't clean install, only i was able from Windows 10 drive. Bypassed the TPM with the appraiserres.dll from windows 10 ISO, after clicking I don't have product key, the message saying can't ...... appeared. My Z87X-UD3H have secure boot enabled and it's status also enabled, the TPM 2.0 is supported, but not present. I think the processor made the message to appear or i'm missing a think?

Edited by ammoune78

Hello.
I use Windows on my main computer for work, so I can't make that computer an Insider preview.
So I used Insider preview to install Windows 11 on a laptop that I don't use for work.
Since it's an Insider preview, I installed it using the upgrade path from Windows 10. Unlike the CPU requirements of the alpha version of Windows 11, I was able to run it on Skylake (6th gen). I will report it.
Thank you.

Win11-1024x576.jpg

• Like 2
Useful link provided by our good friend [mention=697561]bronxteck[/mention]:
https://christitus.com/update-any-pc-to-windows11/
Is it possible for USB installer for during first check on clean install procedure? Cause i only can install it as upgrade but never clean one.

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

55 minutes ago, ammoune78 said:

Is it possible for USB installer for during first check on clean install procedure? Cause i only can install it as upgrade but never clean one.

For a clean install, there is appraisers.dll method. I don't try.

How To Replace appraiserres.dll in Windows 11 Setup

• Like 1

For a clean install, there is appraisers.dll method. I don't try.

How To Replace appraiserres.dll in Windows 11 Setup
This method doesn't seem to work, i already tried it, even with my own windows 10 iso using it's appraisers dll in clean install. But as @Hervé link, i think this if possible to do before the check process on the clean install, it will for sure work.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, ammoune78 said:

This method doesn't seem to work, i already tried it, even with my own windows 10 iso using it's appraisers dll in clean install. But as @Hervé link, i think this if possible to do before the check process on the clean install, it will for sure work.

The @Hervé link requires to modify the base registry: how to do that for a clean install !

For a clean install you can use the Windows console. After Windows-setup complains that your computer does not meet the requirements, press shift+F10, open write or notepad, file open, then navigate to the location where you saved the bypassReg and merge it. Then you can continue the installation.

• Like 1
For a clean install you can use the Windows console. After Windows-setup complains that your computer does not meet the requirements, press shift+F10, open write or notepad, file open, then navigate to the location where you saved the bypassReg and merge it. Then you can continue the installation.
Interesting, thanks! Can you explain the steps in other words please from notepad step to the end

• Like 1

But how to merge the registry linked from the install screen when doing clean install

I already installed windows 11 with your iso using only as upgrade from windows 10, and it's simple with appraisers dll from windows 10 iso. Now on clean install, even using that dll, it doesn't work for me

41 minutes ago, ammoune78 said:

But how to merge the registry linked from the install screen when doing clean install

Copy the file from the attachment to the USB-Stick. If you have already started Notepad.exe go to file open, search for bypassTPM.reg and double-click it.

Notepad shows you only TXT as file extension but you can type in the dialog box  *.reg, so that you can see the bypassReg.

bypassTPM.reg.zip

• Like 2

Dumb question, do you mean by open the bypass.reg in notepad, to copy it's content as txt then to run it in CMD to be merged

Or would it be possible to: shift F10 => CMD Regedit => file-open-bypasstpm.reg?

1 hour ago, ammoune78 said:

Or would it be possible to: shift F10 => CMD Regedit => file-open-bypasstpm.reg?

Right click then merge. Like on the screenshot.

merge.jpg

• Like 2