Windows 11 - Discussion

naiclub

187 posts in this topic

Hi @all

That's it. I did a clean install of Windows 11 (with only Intel PTT enabled). So I can start Monterey (with Clover) on my other hard drive (and why not with Opencore). In addition, I installed Office 2021.

Pity. When starting the key, Microsoft left the old installer interface, for the selection of the disc, the choice of the version ...😪

"...Windows 11 requires a TPM 2 enabled device and Secure Boot capable UEFI by default. TPM2 enabled seems to be a must but Secure Boot can be enabled or disabled..."

Today I've done a fresh install of Windows 11 onto a blank disk with TPM2 and PTT enabled and UEFI Secure Boot disabled. All has gone well. Windows 11 works very fine although I've noticed minor cosmetics bugs related to the Spanish translation.

Edited by miliuco
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, miliuco said:

Today I've done a fresh install of Windows 11

I am about to do the same. I tend to opt for fresh OS installs when ever they are officially released to get rid of any potential conflicts or bugs being carried over from the previous installation. Yes I know it is a lot of work plus reinstalling all my apps as well, but it gives me piece of mind to know I started with a clean page.

• Like 2

I guess like me, you have no choice but to do a clean install, having used previews, the update only works from 10 to 11 with no data loss. I have postponed this for the moment ... It annoys me to reinstall everything again 🙃

• Like 2

15 hours ago, antuneddu said:

It annoys me to reinstall everything again 🙃

Yes Bro it's a burden I have to contend with, it is an annoyance but it gives me comfort like slipping in between nice clean bed line on a winters night. :hysterical: 

Here She is all dressed up in her finery, Living Wallpaper (Blue Fog) with Audio - this is some serious eye candy which I am partial to very much. :hysterical:

Screenshot 2021-10-06 114355.png

Edited by eSaF
  • Haha 2

From what I've read there seems to be some confusion about bypassing the TPM and Secure Boot checks using the registry edit. If you are performing a clean install (booting from a USB or ISO disk installer) you can use the registry hack in the installer itself while it is running.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/10/how-to-upgrade-to-windows-11-whether-your-pc-is-supported-or-not/2/#h2

(there are a bunch of other pages out there with the same info.)

Just skip half way down the page to the "Installing on a PC without Secure Boot or a TPM" section. The nice thing about this method is that the only edit to the registry is done to the "live" Windows installer environment running in memory. There's no questionable DLLs to use or installer files that have to be modified before hand, nothing is written to disk anywhere, it simply bypasses the checks at the beginning of the install process. No need to reboot.

These are the same registry edits linked earlier by Herve to Chris Titus Techs website, (https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/348126-windows-11-discussion/?do=findComment&comment=2762109) except the explanation above shows how to do it on the fly. It took me all of 90 seconds to do the edit while running the installer and get past the checks.

As has been stated elsewhere, there's no telling what running Win 11 without TPM or Secure Boot will do to the environment down the road, but for now it seems completely fine. Ultimately the best solution is likely a bootloader strategy that allows both Windows to see the TPM and Secure Boot and OSx to ignore it.

Now that I have a clean install my first disappointment is that I can't use small icons on the taskbar without breaking the clock display. Oh, Micro$oft . . . you never fail to let me down, or run an untested update that breaks my domain shares, or force an update that breaks my printers, or (insert bad Microsoft behavior here.)

• Like 2

On 10/6/2021 at 6:59 AM, eSaF said:

Yes Bro it's a burden I have to contend with, it is an annoyance but it gives me comfort like slipping in between nice clean bed line on a winters night. :hysterical: 

Here She is all dressed up in her finery, Living Wallpaper (Blue Fog) with Audio - this is some serious eye candy which I am partial to very much. :hysterical:

Screenshot 2021-10-06 114355.png

:lol: You managed to find it ... (for a moment, I had assumed it was my screenshot 😆)  yes it's very nice and pleasant in the meantime I armed myself with good will too and I reinstalled everything with final release

Edited by antuneddu
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, antuneddu said:

You managed to find it ... (for a moment, I had assumed it was my screenshot 😆)  yes it's very nice and pleasant in the meantime I armed myself with good will too and I reinstalled everything with final release

Yes Bro - even though I don't use Windows much these days, I decided to go the extra mile and make her look pretty. :lol:

• Like 1

Hi @all @eSaF

After clean install Windows 11 Pro, I have noticed for the moment, two problems on my Z390:

• numeric keypad is not locked automatically in session (solved with regedit).

• Above all, no screen standby, no PC standby mode. Power settings set display to 10 minutes, PC to 20 minutes.

Can you help me, i have never had this kind of problem with windows 10.

@Matgen84

I don't have numeric keypad problem, it's locked at login.

About standby, I don't know if I understand you. I have the same as you in Configuration. But in Control Panel > Energy I can go into advanced settings and set more options.

Edited by miliuco
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, miliuco said:

@Matgen84

I don't have numeric keypad problem, it's locked at login.

About standby, I don't know if I understand you. I have the same as you in Configuration. But in Control Panel > Energy I can go into advanced settings and set more options.

@miliuco
Strangely, I've numeric keyboard lock at windows login screen, but not in  the session.
About standby, I find advanced settings. Why are necessary to set them ! On Windows 10, I don't use these advanced settings.

EDIT: Randomly, Windows 11 restart alone 😪

Edited by Matgen84
  • Like 1

@Matgen84 - Hi same as @miliuco (I don't have numeric keypad problem, it's locked at login).

I will check - (no screen standby, no PC standby mode) - and let you know.

The attached is how my Power Settings are, let me know if you want me to dig a bit further.

Spoiler

609825431_Screenshot2021-10-12105118.thumb.png.544962bb2aa09472e7bedbdc3effa2bf.png

Edited by eSaF
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, eSaF said:

@Matgen84 - Hi same as @miliuco (I don't have numeric keypad problem, it's locked at login).

I will check - (no screen standby, no PC standby mode) - and let you know.

The attached is how my Power Settings are, let me know if you want me to dig a bit further.

Reveal hidden contents

609825431_Screenshot2021-10-12105118.thumb.png.544962bb2aa09472e7bedbdc3effa2bf.png

@eSaF  - Hi, I have the same Power settings. Thanks to let me known about your system (problem or not with standby).

As I edit before: Windows 11 restart alone randomly. On my Z390 Aorus Master BIOS, I use only Intel PTT (no secure boot) !

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Matgen84 said:

I use only Intel PTT (no secure boot) !

Yes, same setting as on mine.

Windows 11 restart alone randomly. Yes I noticed this behaviour a few times on my rig as well, it's like the OS X disk went missing in the Boot Menu with only the Windows disk available but a clean of NVRAM usually fixes the problem. I cannot pin down why that happens, would love to find out with a possible solution.

Edited by eSaF
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Matgen84 said:

@eSaF  - Hi, I have the same Power settings. Thanks to let me known about your system (problem or not with standby).

As I edit before: Windows 11 restart alone randomly. On my Z390 Aorus Master BIOS, I use only Intel PTT (no secure boot) !

I haven't noticed this behaviour of random restart. Mine doesn't do.

In BIOS I have PTT enabled + TMP2 enabled + Secure boot disabled.

2 minutes ago, miliuco said:

I haven't noticed this behaviour of random restart. Mine doesn't do.

In BIOS I have PTT enabled + TMP2 enabled + Secure boot disabled.

@miliuco I don't have TPM2 module. In BIOS, my Z390 Aorus Master can only activate PTT + SecureBoot disabled

I don't know why there is a random restart.

Since few minutes (strangely), standby works: for display with screen saver. Waiting for standby the PC, now 😂

10 hours ago, Matgen84 said:

@miliuco I don't have TPM2 module. In BIOS, my Z390 Aorus Master can only activate PTT + SecureBoot disabled...

In my Z390 Aorus Elite there is a PTT option, as in your Aorus Master. When enabled, it also enables TPM2 that's under Trusted Computing.

Entering Trusted Computing, I see TPM2 enabled using PTT as TPM2 interface type.

So, although I can plug an external specific TPM2 device (no one for now), PTT (when activated) acts as TMP2 device.

I think your BIOS must look like mine, is it so?

ptt.jpeg.9dabd1dd09b3186e86b9fe990b5f664b.jpeg

tpm2.jpeg.c0f21bef480deb71a07e8a7b0d7c65a5.jpeg

Edited by miliuco
  • Thanks 1

On 10/13/2021 at 12:19 AM, miliuco said:

In my Z390 Aorus Elite there is a PTT option, as in your Aorus Master. When enabled, it also enables TPM2 that's under Trusted Computing.

Entering Trusted Computing, I see TPM2 enabled using PTT as TPM2 interface type.

So, although I can plug an external specific TPM2 device (no one for now), PTT (when activated) acts as TMP2 device.

I think your BIOS must look like mine, is it so?

Thanks @miliuco

My BIOS looks like yours. Yes, the Aorus Master Z390 (rev. 1.0) motherboard has TPM 2.0 support. Right, PTT emulate as TPM2. I don't want to buy TPM2 module for now. GC-TPM2.0_S module

Now I have black screen of the death with stop code 0xc000021a 😪 Instead of randomly restart.  Maybe, I have to reinstall Windows 11. But I don't remember how to format the hard disk after I remove the partition via the installer (if it is possible).