[Release] macOS Big Sur 11.2-11.2.1-11.2.2-11.2.3

130 posts in this topic

Since these posts show updates, I am looking for some pointers as to why updates are not showing in Big Sur system preferences.

Csrutil enable and csrutil authenticated-root enable in recovery console modifies NVRAM csr-active-config in config.plist to 10000000 and booting is enabled but no updates.

Cannot boot Big Sur with SIP completely enabled 00000000 in config.plist due to kernel panic.

Any specific pointers as to where and what to look for with boot args set to:

no_compat_check  keepsyms=1 -lilubetaall -v debug=0x100 lapic_dont_panic=1

What specific log files to look at?

What specific boot files to look at?

Edited by HenryV
typo
  • Like 1

You know, I was ready a few hours ago to make a joke about Apple releasing the 11.2.3 update tonight, but I thought it would have been a little mean... But here we are, it seems I was right.

Unlike 11.2.1 and 11.2.2, at least the published the full installer at once, I can download it from Apple via Gibmacos tonight. After I re-create the installation usb drive with 11.2.3 , since I would probably not be able to update it properly, would you advice me to make an in-place upgrade using the Big Sur install app from Applications, in order to avoid a clean install? Or the latter seems safer?

Edited by Vyzantion

@HenryV, if you use the -no_compat_check + SMBIOS of an unsupported Mac model, you won't get any updates offered. You need SIP enabled (usually) AND a supported Mac profile.

With this update the network section in finder does not recognize any SMB servers on the network. It was working fine till 11.2.2

Anyone with this issue?

• Like 1

Everything seemed to work OK in installation, but now I have sound interruptions at every about 30 seconds. Is anyone else experiencing this? I replaced the kexts in EFI, i rebooted. The problem persists.

11 hours ago, XanthraX said:

Everything seemed to work OK in installation, but now I have sound interruptions at every about 30 seconds. Is anyone else experiencing this? I replaced the kexts in EFI, i rebooted. The problem persists.

Sorry, it was my only fault. After the update, a VST plugin lost its license data and ran in demo mode. Can be ignored or deleted.

16 hours ago, Cyberdevs said:

macOS Big Sur 11.2.3 direct download link if anyone is interested.

Thanks for your help and now I can boot Big Sur 11.2.3 in my three old hackintoshs including P6TSE (Sandy Bridge, i7-920 CPU), P5Q PRO (LGA775, Intel Core 2 Extreme X9650) and GA-965P-DS4 (LGA775, Intel Core Duo 2 E8400).

Edited by jsl2000
  • Like 2

On 3/8/2021 at 8:33 PM, HenryV said:

Since these posts show updates, I am looking for some pointers as to why updates are not showing in Big Sur system preferences.

Csrutil enable and csrutil authenticated-root enable in recovery console modifies NVRAM csr-active-config in config.plist to 10000000 and booting is enabled but no updates.

Cannot boot Big Sur with SIP completely enabled 00000000 in config.plist due to kernel panic.

Any specific pointers as to where and what to look for with boot args set to:

no_compat_check  keepsyms=1 -lilubetaall -v debug=0x100 lapic_dont_panic=1

What specific log files to look at?

What specific boot files to look at?

Try 67080000 for Big Sur. FF0F0000 as provided by the Dortania Install Guide has been proven to not work under Big Sur for a lot of people, which is why you will no longer be offered updates. In Big Sur, authenticated root has been added to the SIP, resulting in a new value of 0x867 for csr-active config. This corresponds to hex-swapped for OpenCore 67080000.

SOURCE: https://github.com/dortania/bugtracker/issues/32

Edited by 5T33Z0
  • Like 1

It really depends on what one wants to disable in SIP but, indeed, it appears Apple Internal must be kept disabled (it is by default) for updates to be offered and 0x867 is a good value in that respect just as 0x67, 0x267, 0xA67 or 0xFEF are too.

At time of writing, csr.h header file available in Big Sur's XNU source code posted at Apple's OpenSource site contains the following entries for 12 x SIP flags (i.e. 12 x bits):

/* CSR configuration flags */
#define CSR_ALLOW_UNTRUSTED_KEXTS               (1 << 0)
#define CSR_ALLOW_UNRESTRICTED_FS               (1 << 1)
#define CSR_ALLOW_TASK_FOR_PID                  (1 << 2)
#define CSR_ALLOW_KERNEL_DEBUGGER               (1 << 3)
#define CSR_ALLOW_APPLE_INTERNAL                (1 << 4)
#define CSR_ALLOW_DESTRUCTIVE_DTRACE            (1 << 5) /* name deprecated */
#define CSR_ALLOW_UNRESTRICTED_DTRACE           (1 << 5)
#define CSR_ALLOW_UNRESTRICTED_NVRAM            (1 << 6)
#define CSR_ALLOW_DEVICE_CONFIGURATION          (1 << 7)
#define CSR_ALLOW_ANY_RECOVERY_OS               (1 << 8)
#define CSR_ALLOW_UNAPPROVED_KEXTS              (1 << 9)
#define CSR_ALLOW_EXECUTABLE_POLICY_OVERRIDE    (1 << 10)
#define CSR_ALLOW_UNAUTHENTICATED_ROOT          (1 << 11)

#define CSR_VALID_FLAGS (CSR_ALLOW_UNTRUSTED_KEXTS | \
	                         CSR_ALLOW_UNRESTRICTED_FS | \
	                         CSR_ALLOW_TASK_FOR_PID | \
	                         CSR_ALLOW_KERNEL_DEBUGGER | \
	                         CSR_ALLOW_APPLE_INTERNAL | \
	                         CSR_ALLOW_UNRESTRICTED_DTRACE | \
	                         CSR_ALLOW_UNRESTRICTED_NVRAM | \
	                         CSR_ALLOW_DEVICE_CONFIGURATION | \
	                         CSR_ALLOW_ANY_RECOVERY_OS | \
	                         CSR_ALLOW_UNAPPROVED_KEXTS | \
	                         CSR_ALLOW_EXECUTABLE_POLICY_OVERRIDE | \
	                         CSR_ALLOW_UNAUTHENTICATED_ROOT)

Here are SIP status in Big Sur 11.2.3 with various values applied to csr-active-config:

• 0x3E7 (old value often used for High Sierra) -> 0011 1110 0111 in binary (from bit #12 to bit #1)
:~ admin$ csrutil status
System Integrity Protection status: unknown (Custom Configuration).

Configuration:
Apple Internal: disabled
Kext Signing: disabled
Filesystem Protections: disabled
Debugging Restrictions: disabled
DTrace Restrictions: disabled
NVRAM Protections: disabled
BaseSystem Verification: disabled

This is an unsupported configuration, likely to break in the future and leave your machine in an unknown state.

• 0xFFF (value recommended in the Dortania documentation) -> 1111 1111 1111 in binary (from bit #12 to bit #1)

Configuration:
Apple Internal: enabled
BaseSystem Verification: disabled

This is an unsupported configuration, likely to break in the future and leave your machine in an unknown state.

• 0x867 (as mentioned above and when Big Sur was in beta versions) -> 1000 0110 0111 in binary (from bit #12 to bit #1):

Configuration:
Apple Internal: disabled
BaseSystem Verification: enabled

After verification, Apple Internal appears to be the key flag in relation of Big Sur updates being offered and it needs to be kept disabled (as it is by default) for that. So, when trying to totally disable SIP, the best value to use would be 0xFEF rather than 0xFFF.

Edited by Hervé
Modified after testing and validating Apple Internal is the key flag for updates
  • Like 4

Why would you disable SIP?  It's unnecessary to update macOS

On 3/11/2021 at 1:44 AM, ellaosx said:

If i install kexts in /L/E and leave /S/L/E alone,

please, don't.

It's also called heresy here on insanelymac.com

we leave those stuff to... t0ny... cough cough... ehm..

Heresy? Not quite... There's always been debate on the matter but some folks consider it better to cache add-on kexts rather than inject them. I certainly do even though it's not exactly applicable with OpenCore.

16 hours ago, 1Ale1 said:

3-16-2021 at 2:20 PM - PDT

As far as I know, it IS necessary to disable SIP to keep 3rd Party Kexts, (Lilu, Whatevergreen, etc.), functioning.  IF SIP is Enabled,

these Unsigned Kexts are locked down/kept from running by MacOS.

SIP MUST be AT LEAST partially disabled with 67080000 for Big Sur.  I'm thankfully still on Mojave 10.14.6 with latest Security

Update.  My SIP IS partially Disabled in Clover 4359 with 0x67 in config.plist Clover Configurator.  Prior to that, in High Sierra 10.13.6 with latest

Security Update, same clover, in config.plist Clover Configurator was 0x3 to partially Disable SIP.

Lilu and Whatevergreen are just 2 Examples of Unsigned Kexts, there are MANY other Kexts that require SIP to be partially

Disabled.

TimeLord04

Edited by TimeLord04
Clerical Corrections.

@TimeLord04, this is a Big Sur 11.2 thread so your comments about other macOS versions are off-topic. It is true that it's no longer necessary to disable SIP in Big Sur when you use OpenCore. Different story with Clover and kext caching of course.

1 minute ago, Hervé said:

@TimeLord04, this is a Big Sur 11.2 thread so your comments about other macOS versions are off-topic. It is true that it's no longer necessary to disable SIP in Big Sur when you use OpenCore.

3-16-2021 at 2:29 PM - PDT

Well, at last glance, MANY people are STILL on Clover.  That is, NOT everyone runs OpenCore.  I've studied OpenCore, and see the advantages, but

still don't trust myself to configure OpenCore for my Hackintosh.  I read all over these Forums and Threads, and have seen pluses and minuses to

both Boot Loaders.  I'm in the group that chooses to stick with Clover.

To each his/her own.  ymmv.

TimeLord04

21 hours ago, 1Ale1 said:

please, don't.

It's also called heresy here on insanelymac.com

we leave those stuff to... t0ny... cough cough... ehm..

TotalFinder will not work without SIP disabled. I will not give up TF until the bitter end!

• Haha 1