[Pre-Release] macOS Big Sur 11.2

bisdak4920

83 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, eSaF said:

Hi Pavo if I understand your statement correctly, are you sure and if you are what version is this on my machine? Also listed in the 'Feedback Assistant' app albeit the Developers edition, maybe that is the answer.

Hi @eSaF 

@Pavo talk about Big Sur 11.2 Beta 2, not yet ready. December, 16 Apple published Big Sur 11.2 Beta (alias Beta 1). :)

• Thanks 1

@Matgen84 I am still confused, so my version and post is incorrect by way of not BS version 11.2 Beta (20D5029f) or 11.2 is not ready yet as it is still Beta?

Aha just spotted my error - Large Slice of Humble Pie Please and pass my reading glasses meanwhile. :D

Edited by eSaF
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, eSaF said:

Hi Pavo if I understand your statement correctly, are you sure and if you are what version is this on my machine? Also listed in the 'Feedback Assistant' app albeit the Developers edition, maybe that is the answer.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure

MTNIbFV.png

Edited by Pavo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, MrGreen said:

I found the culprit... but how to resolve it? Any ideas?

You'll have to install the full sized update. Removing snapshots breaks the ability to get the smaller delta updates from Software Update.

When you run the full update it will create a new snapshot and if you leave that alone you will be able to get the smaller delta versions in future.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Riley Freeman said:

You'll have to install the full sized update. Removing snapshots breaks the ability to get the smaller delta updates from Software Update.

When you run the full update it will create a new snapshot and if you leave that alone you will be able to get the smaller delta versions in future.

OK I reinstall 11.1 full update (over 12 GB), I stopped Time Machine before doing that.

Didn't touch snapshots but the problem still exists. Since there is a bug in software updater I did it directly in terminal - same result (picture)

Stucked.jpg

14 hours ago, Riley Freeman said:

I rechecked and they were not removed, see picture...

Snapshots.jpg

• Like 1

That looks like an update snapshot. The delta updates expect the system to be booted from a system snapshot. This happened to me with the second developer beta of Big Sur. I deleted the snapshots to see if it fixed the sluggish menubar but it didn't. Instead it broke the next beta update.

I thought I installed the next full sized update but perhaps I had to grab the full installer for it and run that. I don't know if there is a full installer for 11.2 b2 yet. If there is, just run that and let it upgrade the system. That should recreate the snapshot.

Seeing as you can delete snapshots I wonder if there is a way to manually recreate the system snapshot. I haven't looked into it but I would imagine it's possible.

Update: Try the steps here to mount the system volume and create a new snapshot then see if Software Update works.

Edited by Riley Freeman
  • Like 1

On 1/8/2021 at 11:36 AM, Riley Freeman said:

Update: Try the steps here to mount the system volume and create a new snapshot then see if Software Update works.

When checking with "tmutil listlocalsnapshots /Volumes/" I received a list:

com.apple.TimeMachine.2021-01-11-153923.local

com.apple.os.update-MSUPrepareUpdate

So I thing that I don't have system snapshot at all..

Ah that "resource busy" error ...I can't mount the container to create new system snapshot...

Maybe the problem is another instance of BS in other drive?

I noticed that I forgot to disable that second drive in TM backups..corrected now.

I also noticed that none of the snapshots are sealed.

Maybe sealed system snapshot is necessary to perform delta updates?

MSUPrepareUpdate is a snapshot from which system updates are performed?

It looks that Apple is moving toward the same file access like IOS...hot good for us...

• Like 1

Update done, don't know how much time it took, because I went eat super and then the light went out during one hour, but the update was made... yayyyyy... LOL

Captura de ecrã 2021-01-13, às 21.43.52.png

Captura de ecrã 2021-01-13, às 21.44.29.png

Edited by MorenoAv
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, eSaF said:

45 Minutes from start to finish and I'm done. :thumbsup_anim:

as a windows95 installation with a pentium 133 and 40MB mechanical HD
when you say progress :hysterical:

jokes aside, updated hack Z68, Z97, Z370 and X570 with Clover 5128

Edited by iCanaro
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Did all of you guys have Big Sur freshly installed? Most probably....

I found that since I updated from Catalina, that I don't have neither snapshot container, neither my System container is sealed...

Any thoughts on this?

Now I also have a problem with App Store. Updates or anything installing: The progress bar jumps to 75% and than stays there...

A couple of questions:

- Where is the history of updates performed?

- Location of partial system updates (Library/Updates has only Index.plist and ProductMetadata.plist)?

- How to write to System drive, since mounting like "sudo mount -o nobrowse -t apfs /dev/disk5s5 ~/livemount" is not working / Resource busy?

- I would like to create Snapshot by myself....

As suggested by Installing update with full installer to resolve snapshot issue - reinstalled latest full update - unsuccessful....