OpenCanopy Icons

blackosx
1,484 posts in this topic

OpenCanopy_Pick_and_Mix_Icons_1 (Previously Alt_Icons_Resources_v0.1)

Spoiler

icons-preview1.jpg

EDIT:

Removed preview image of drives with labels as they have started to become real icons as of Pick_and_Mix_Icons_3.

Edited by blackosx
Removed download link as all icons are now available in the GitHub repository. Put image in a Spoiler
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

OpenCanopy_Pick_and_Mix_Icons_2 

These use the same icon models as OpenCanopy_Pick_and_Mix_Icons_1 but have different lighting and altered textures. There are now only light and dark internal images as I've dropped the mid grey. Shadows have been added to the light devices. The internal drive icons include extra variations with a subtle macOS image from 10.12 thru 10.16. There are three sets of recovery images with each set showing a different world region on the map, Americas, Europe, Asia. The Selector and Selection images are available in 9 different transparency levels.

Then complete set of icons in OpenCanopy_Pick_and_Mix_Icons_2

Spoiler

Open-Canopy-Pick-and-Mix-Icons-2.jpg

Edited by blackosx
Removed download link as all icons are now available in the GitHub repository. Put image in a spoiler
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

OpenCanopy_Pick_and_Mix_Icons_3

Building on the last set and slowly adding to the collection I've included the missing, non-mandatory, Other and External icons that OpenCanopy looks for. There are now also some white external drives, some Microsoft and Microsoft Windows 10 ones and a preliminary few internal drives with labels.

I think it may be good to eventually have some kind of visual repository for these where it will be easy to scroll through and maybe just download the ones of interest... Anyway thats for later, for now I'll just keep posting a handful as I create them.

Spoiler

Open-Canopy-Pick-and-Mix-Icons-3.jpg

Edited by blackosx
Removed download link as all icons are now available in the GitHub repository. Put image in a spoiler
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

OpenCanopy_Pick_and_Mix_Icons_4

I have generated dark and light Microsoft Windows 10 and Apple HardDrive icons with stronger desktop images to give the user choice over the more subtler ones posted previously.

There are now some internal and external generic Linux icons and also light and dark HardDrive icons for 15 Linux distro's.

Open-Canopy-Pick-and-Mix-Icons-4.jpg

Edited by blackosx
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

OpenCanopy_Pick_and_Mix_Icons_5

HardDrives with overly large OS icons (possibly too big, but trying to give the user choices).

Also, OS icons on their own without the drive image.

Open-Canopy-Pick-and-Mix-Icons-5.jpg

Edited by blackosx
Removed download link as all icons are now available in the GitHub repository. Put image in a spoiler.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, pkdesign said:

Does OpenCanopy even discern between other OSs?  

It doesn't need to. The user can take any .icns file, rename it to .VolumeIcons.icns and place at the root of the volume, then set PickerAttributes in config.plist to a value that reads them.

* Check OpenCore documentation for correct details.

Edited by blackosx
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

OpenCanopy_Pick_and_Mix_Icons_6

Add some HardDrives with large macOS Roundels, and then the roundels without the drives underneath them to match the sizes of the large Linux ones in pack 5 (I think when they're on the drives they are definitely too large and will have to address that later on).

I then realised the OS logos didn't have shadows so went back to re-made those. And then I noticed older External icons also didn't't have shadows so went back and re-made all those. So this pack has many duplicates from previous packs, but with shadows.

Open-Canopy-Pick-and-Mix-Icons-6.jpg

Edited by blackosx
Removed download link as all icons are now available in the GitHub repository. Put image in a spoiler.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, luky35 said:

Andrey1970 hi,

How do I add your latest (Image.zip) Basic icons and BigSur style icons to the Resources folder?

Thanks

Copy / Replace to the Resources/Image folder :)

Edited by Matgen84

• 2 weeks later...

Argh, I've been a this forever. Am I missing something in my command?

icnspack /Users/pkdesign/Desktop/Selected1x.png /Users/pkdesign/Desktop/Selected2x.png Selected.icns

It says "Missing file Selected.icns" and deletes the Selected1x.png file.

Doesn’t running the command take *1x.png and *2x.png and make *.icns?

I've been generating colour variations of the Set3 icons and just uploaded 456 new icons to the repo.

Each icon is made from two renders in Cinema4D, one for 128px and another 256px. I do this to achieve the highest quality image rather then scaling the larger image down. The renders are then loaded in to Photoshop before finalising and saving out to PNG files. These are then optimised using pngquant before building the final .icns files using icnspack.

There are still some missing icons to complete but I'll get to those when I get more time...

Edited by blackosx
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I've not posted here few a short while but just wanted to show that I been slowly expanding the Set3 range of icons when time allows.

As well as the original dark and light range I created, there are now a range of 12 different colours, each with their own selections, selectors and cursors all available at the repository.

Here are some links to preview icon sheets (on a grey background): 

Original Light and Dark (1/3)

Original Light and Dark (2/3)

Original Light and Dark (3/3)

Aqua

Blue

Cardinal

Green

LightBlue

Lime

Orange

Pink

Purple

Red

Violet

Yellow

Edited by blackosx
  • Like 1

I've been playing around with OpenCore's font support and think how it's currently done is great, though it limits the possibilities of customisation (maybe by design to keep it more in line with Apple's UI)

Font size cannot change much as the lineHeight must be 12 or 24 (if x2) for OpenCore to accept it.

Fonts PNGs can only be mono, so no coloured fonts, and shading will prove difficult due to the tight random placement of the glyphs in the AngelCode BMF.

Having said that I've generated some different ones to maybe give the UI a slightly different look, if wanted.

Here's an image showing different slices of a selection to show each font looks in the UI

Spoiler

Fonts.thumb.png.5d68f4abd36f728b6fde5a79271c3a46.png

EDIT (27th Feb 2021)

It’s become apparent that these fonts do not work properly with recent versions of OpenCore and may cause a hang.
** only use these with caution **

EDIT (28th Feb 2021)

Please use the newer font files with fixed kerning found here

Edited by blackosx
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1