ASK For It !

Prasys

44 posts in this topic

Hey guys and gals,

Since this is a new project , I would like your input. Thats right , just say what is your need and we might able to get that working , thus making your life easier. I am focusing on stuff that people do require [Please do not ask me for drivers and stuff like that] such as easy Kernel Updater and stuff like that. That makes our lifes even easier

So if you need something , dont panic , dont run around in circles. Just post it here and I will see if I could help you out with that

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

hi. i have an PPTP internet connection throught VPN.

and i've made easy script what allow me to auto connect vpn after boot.

here's the code:

• tell application "Internet Connect"
  • launch -- starts in background
  • try
  • connect
  • end try
  • quit
  • end tell

i make application with this code and just put it in dock and right-click - open at login, and remove it from dock.

i need a script, which will alllow me to reconnect my vpn, when disconnected.

can you help?

I would like to see a generic installer that would allow the insertion of kexts specific to your system. For example the kext for your specific network card or audio. I have been playing around with adding packages to my install disk and this would be great. I have no idea how to implement something like this or if it's even possible but I envision something like and installer that you could select "show package contents" and have a user kexts folder that you could drop in all the kexts you wanted to install.

The way the install DVD works, it would be hard to make it simple and elegant for all users, but there might be an ugly approach.

I have been conceiving of an installer for newbies whereby you place files you want installed into a folder and run the install application. It looks at the folder and if it can tell where the file(s) go(es) (like a kext), it backs up the old kext and installs the new one and cleans up whatever (kext caches, permissions, etc). If it can't figure out where to install, it leaves the file in the folder and gives an error message. Alternately, it could ask the user where to put the file.

Now, real install packages run a script after installation called a postflight script. The postflight script could be modified to call my unelegant installer which then installs anything it finds in a particular folder. There would be no GUI involved - if it is in the folder, it gets installed.

A user or another app could open an iso file as read/write, add the command to the postfilight script, add the new install script to the iso in a particular location and add the folder of files to be installed in a particular location. Then save the iso. When the new DVD is run, the regular install takes place and then during the postflight cleanup phase, the other files get installed.

that last suggesttion put me in mind of an idea I had a while back.. no idea how feasible, but if it were possible to have multiple kextcaches on the boot DVD, that could be selected by an option at bootup (or better still a menu) this would allow much wider hardware support for booting (& installing from) the DVD..

I have no clue how such a thing would be written, whether it could be integrated into com.Apple.boot.plist or whether it would have to be integrated into the bootsector...

I don't think this would qualify as a script, but since I see the kernel heavy hitters are here, please I beg of you help us ATI x200 users get the video card working! There is a large user base that has the x200 on their laptops and for most of us we have everything BUT the x200 working. I am sorry but without QE/CI it just isnt a very functional OS. Even simple DVD playback is a major issue.

If there are any of you kings of the kernel out there who would be willing to take up the challenge, PM me and I can point you to all the information we have compiled so far.

The way the install DVD works, it would be hard to make it simple and elegant for all users, but there might be an ugly approach.

I have been conceiving of an installer for newbies whereby you place files you want installed into a folder and run the install application. It looks at the folder and if it can tell where the file(s) go(es) (like a kext), it backs up the old kext and installs the new one and cleans up whatever (kext caches, permissions, etc). If it can't figure out where to install, it leaves the file in the folder and gives an error message. Alternately, it could ask the user where to put the file.

Now, real install packages run a script after installation called a postflight script. The postflight script could be modified to call my unelegant installer which then installs anything it finds in a particular folder. There would be no GUI involved - if it is in the folder, it gets installed.

A user or another app could open an iso file as read/write, add the command to the postfilight script, add the new install script to the iso in a particular location and add the folder of files to be installed in a particular location. Then save the iso. When the new DVD is run, the regular install takes place and then during the postflight cleanup phase, the other files get installed.

I love it.

Rammjet could an exsisting installers postflight script be modifeid to add kexts to the install disk and is this something you are currently working on?

Yes, the postflight is only a shell script stored in the Resources folder of the package. It is not even in the compressed archive so it is easy to get to. An app would only have to add a single line to the shell script to call the new script that does the additional installations and cleanup.

I am not currently working on the installer I mentioned. It is a concept I have considered and put it on my list of possible things to do.

• 3 weeks later...

Idea: Homebrew Software update

Description: A custom version of Apple's Software Update for HAckintosh users that uses a server to check for the latest updates (JaS 10.4.8 or new kernel for example) then the software downloads them via an integrated bittorrent client - ease of use to stop people using the official OS updates and hosing their system.

Just an idea... thoughts?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

First I'll start by saying that I know very sub-basic stuff about apple scripting. I was wondering if this would work. Would it be possible to write a script as part of the install DVD that could look at your hardware specs and automatically chose the right install packages for you? I was thinking that maybe the script could autorun system profiler and read your specs (can scripts read?) and then choose custom install items based on what system profiler said. Is this possible? If so, how hard would it be to integrate it into an install/live DVD?

• 4 months later...

I'm with errandwolfe and 2nd the motion for x200 support. Tons of these laptops are floating around. Also it appears some new kext's from 10.4.10 circle around the ATI mobility's. Possibly help with the whole memory sharing thing?

I pray to the mac dev gods!

Thank u!

I don't think this would qualify as a script, but since I see the kernel heavy hitters are here, please I beg of you help us ATI x200 users get the video card working! There is a large user base that has the x200 on their laptops and for most of us we have everything BUT the x200 working. I am sorry but without QE/CI it just isnt a very functional OS. Even simple DVD playback is a major issue.

If there are any of you kings of the kernel out there who would be willing to take up the challenge, PM me and I can point you to all the information we have compiled so far.

ONE MORE petition please......

X200.... we need QE/CI badly

thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i would like to see a page here [or in the wiki]

with 3 columns only:

Hardware_Component........... use_this_kext............. find_it_here.....................

[for example]

Intel 2011 wifi card ..............IO80211family.kext................................................

............................................from 10.4.7 update......... http://www.foo.com/downloads

imho this will be a real time saver! :)

• 6 months later...

I would like someone to port a kext for the Creative's X-Fi Cards. Failing this, could someone direct me to a location where I might learn how to write and modify kexts? I'll do it myself, but I can't find anywhere that gives a good tutorial. Gracias