GUIDE: Z77MX-QUO-AOS Migrating from Ozmosis to OpenCore

IronManJFF

235 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, IronManJFF said:

Are you using HDMI/DisplayPort Audio or the motherboard built-in audio ?

I am using the built-in audio, but running video via HDMI.

11 hours ago, IronManJFF said:

If you don't already have it (since you have a RX580)...in NVRAM section.

I added this to my config file, and it seems to have worked! I'll come back in a couple of days with an update to say if it's all working fine, but there's no reason it shouldn't, thanks @IronManJFF.

Later today, I'll probably try and upgrade to OC 0.5.8, so I'll let you know how that goes too!

EDIT: okay, not completely true, theres a better chance of it not happening, but once in a while it does still stop other app audio, or a video from playing. I'll still keep a look out for anything else...

Edited by Casm101

3 minutes ago, IronManJFF said:

Now is the time to put in your feature requests :).. can't promise they will all be implemented tough.

Maybe an option to add boot arguments that apply on the next boot.

Since EFI doesn't allow file version control, when you make a change, it creates a copy of you config to a backup folder you can revert to? 

Aaaand a selector to choose from different versions of you backups, if you want to revert to an old config.

I can't think of anything else really, I'm pretty sure you would have thought of the first one. :lol:

3 minutes ago, IronManJFF said:

Now is the time to put in your feature requests :).. can't promise they will all be implemented tough.

Since EFI doesn't allow file version control, when you make a change, it creates a copy of you config to a backup folder you can revert to? 

Aaaand a selector to choose from different versions of you backups, if you want to revert to an old config.

I can't think of anything else really, I'm pretty sure you would have thought of the first one. :lol:

3 hours ago, Casm101 said:

My plan was to set the boot-args according to some checkbox like Verbose

3 hours ago, Casm101 said:

Creating a backup might not be too hard but the reverting part gets more complicated .. nothing tells me is the backup is from the same OC Version.

I am also making some assumptions :

1. You are using my Migration Kit (that is all element from my config_template are present, and the EFI folder has not been tampered)
  2. When iMac13,2 is selected there is a GPU present
  3. When MacMini6,2 is selected there is no GPU
  4. Assuming Catalina or Mojave for now 
Edited by IronManJFF

1 hour ago, IronManJFF said:

My plan was to set the boot-args according to some checkbox like Verbose

Sounds pretty good.

reverting part gets more complicated

An idea would be to append a tag to the end of the file you backup with the version which its meant for, so when you go to restore it, it can either be greyed-out, or you get a warning saying that it may not be compatible. Ex: configBackUp_310520_[OC_058].plist

So basically the naming system could be: fileName + backUpDate + ocVersion.plist. And then detecting the version by reading the file name and getting the substring of where the tag is located, I can't help with the syntax in ApplescriptObjC, but an example in JS would be:

var fileName = 'configBackUp_310520_[OC058].plist';

var versionTag = fileName.substring(fileName.length - 13, fileName.length - 6);

// Process to add the file to restore

Probably completely different in objC, but you've inspired me to start learning it with you tool, so, hopefully in the future I might be able to contribute something useful.

• When iMac13,2 is selected there is a GPU present
  • When MacMini6,2 is selected there is no GPU

I cant remember why, but I changed to the macMini defaults.plist, and I have a GPU, what is the main differance? Should I change back?

I'm trying to upgrade my OC to 0.5.8 using you script, but I'm having a problem, the folder is on my desktop which is on a secondary HDD called "Macintosh HDDS" (I think this is what is causing the problem, the hard drive name), here is the error I get:

1114823590_Screenshot2020-05-31at18_42_25.png.963ab14624b9048501c15a59bcaddaba.png

And this is the folder with the script, I've left it as is, apart from changing the info inside of PlatformInfo:

1429290848_Screenshot2020-05-31at18_48_42.png.ade9caa35af995641d453f06c3fec5fc.png

Any ideas?

EDIT: FIXED: I temporarily renamed my data HDD, to a name without any spacing, and the script was able to find the necessary files and modify them. Tested on a USB, all good, updated my SSD EFI, and booted too, the auto select timing is a little fast for my liking, so I'll change that, but apart from that, all good!

PD: the new OC update seams to have fixed my system audio problem, so even better!!

Edited by Casm101
Info duplicated and added new information

2 hours ago, Casm101 said:

I cant remember why, but I changed to the macMini defaults.plist, and I have a GPU, what is the main differance? Should I change back?

It mostly about Graphic PowerMangement and some WhateverGreen goodies.

Before Catalina some USB internal header ports were disabled under iMac13,2

2 hours ago, IronManJFF said:

Before Catalina some USB internal header ports were disabled under iMac13,2

So in theory, all USB headers for case IO should work with iMac13,2?

On 5/31/2020 at 12:49 PM, Casm101 said:

EDIT: FIXED: I temporarily renamed my data HDD, to a name without any spacing, and the script was able to find the necessary files and modify them. Tested on a USB, all good, updated my SSD EFI, and booted too, the auto select timing is a little fast for my liking, so I'll change that, but apart from that, all good!

Migration Kit has been updated to handle blanks in path the script is run from

22 hours ago, Casm101 said:

So in theory, all USB headers for case IO should work with iMac13,2?

Haven't tested it but what there in the USB kexts that prevented those ports to be recognized is not there anymore.

On 5/29/2020 at 1:19 AM, IronManJFF said:

Checking something ..I think it might want to push a firmware upgrade .. Silent Knight tells me that it expect 291.0.0.0.0

Confirmed: It will attempt to push a firmware upgrade for both MacMini6,2 and iMac13,2

What does it (firmware version) mean for me? Can I somehow prevent it? Thank you :) 

Basically it means that you need to have enough free space on your EFI partition to store the firmware.

Of course, you could never successfully apply this firmware update as it is meant for a real Mac.

OpenCore should skip the 'apply part'.

• Thanks 1

Yes, I will and it is one of the reasons I released my OCPostConfig utility as it was there are some big changes in the config.plist so I did not want to invest too much time on stuff that would be broken and having too maintain too many versions.

Just need a boring rainy day to get going.

• Like 1

Hey, @IronManJFF - great work.  Just upgraded to OpenCore 0.5.7 and upgraded to Catalina after running High Sierra for what seems like forever.  Also added a 2nd drive and dual-boot to Windows 10 and both work well, except for one issue.  The front audio (green headphone and pink microphone) ports no longer work, and I get odd behavior with the rear ports.  The green port seems to map to 'Internal Speakers' and seems to work consistently.  However, the pink port maps to Internal Microphone and only works intermittently under MacOS.  It doesn't work at all under Windows.   Not a huge big deal, but any thoughts on what's going on with that?

Thanks again for all your effort.

In all honesty I haven't deeply tested audio. I was quite happy when I got the 'boot chime' to work. More stuff to do on a raining, boring day.

Green = Internal Speakers in Sound Control Panel , when connecting headphones in the front panel , Internal Speakers will become Headphones (this works for me and tested again just now). I don't have a 'legacy' microphone to test.

In Audio MIDI Setup .. verify the sample rate of the input device .. should look like:

image.png.b32f14eb0b3720997271317ef5836c29.png

Port not working under Windows is weird, you could test by totally disabling OC at startup by holding F12 at startup and selecting your Windows drive to boot from and see if it make any difference.

Edited by IronManJFF

hi, thank you for all your work @IronManJFF , with your guide i’ve set up opencore 0.5.8 with your latest bios. I have a standard ssd with latest catalina and another ssd with windows 10. However i have i little problem, i think with bios, i just want to know if every body else have it to and it can be fixed. The problem is with wake on lan, i don’t want to use this feature, so in bios i have ENABLED erp and DISABLED pme event wake, in cataline under energy settings i have the feature turned off and same thing under windows in the network card properties. Both with windows or mac, every time i use a vnc app like jumpdesktop or screens (both have builtin wol enabled, so when they try to access the pc they send a magic packet i suppose) when i turn off the computer, after 2 second it restart. If i try the same thing outside my lan no problem, the computer stay turned off. If i remove the ethernet cable from the motherboard, so using just wifi, again it works normally and stay off. For this reason i think is the wake on lan command that those 2 app use before access that wake the computer again when i turn it off. Is it possible that the ERP and PME event wake switch in bios are not working? Any help would be welcome, thanks

EDIT: another information: days ago, i tried to USE wake on lan in order to turn on my computer and than use vnc app. So i disabled ERP and enabled PME event wake. Wol was working, sending magic packet the computer woke up but again, the moment i turned off, after 2 second, started again. If i turned on normally with the power button no problem. I read online that some botherboard have a kernel bug that cause this behaviour, i don’t know if this quo aos has it too. So i don’t use wol anymore, i have a smart plug connected to the power supply, in bios i have the funcion AC back always on and with this trick i can turn on the computer with no problem and after i shut down it stay off. The problem is now with jumpdesktop or screens that i really like that i think send the wol command and make my pc boot again.

Sorry for my english ;)

Edited by Haydar

I don't like to mess with firmware settings unless I have to ... and I merely assembled some firmware modules together ..I did not write any of them; so if there is a bug I don't have the required skill to fix it.

Normally when you disable ERP ..it will turn off PME Event Wake Up, Power On By Mouse, Power On By Keyboard, and Wake On LAN.

Now PowerNap is not exactly WOL. ANd Wake-up for admin acess is not exactly WOL either

On MacOS, there is stuff you can specify in Energy Saver preference pane but for more control, you might want to look at the pmset command (remember on a real Mac there are no firmware setting screen).

To me the simplest way to prevent wake on lan is to prevent the magic packet from ever reaching the target machine ...which is probably what happens when you try to reach your computer from outside your LAN, the magic packet is not formwarded.

Thanks for your suggestion, i was thinking the same thing but unfortunately my router can’t block port inside lan. However in the end i just bought an usb3 gigabit network card, with this i can have full internet speed and no more reboot. Thanks :)

I also want to report that I’m testing smbios imacpro1,1 and until now I’m pretty fine with it. I know, probably cpu power management is not optimal with it, but videoproc now recognizes hevc capability with dGpu and I can reproduce drm content like prime video in safari using shikigva=80 (with shikigva=128 or nothing I had red screen with audio). Sidecar obviously is not working. Regarding cpu power management e I can see in intel power gadget the right frequences and power consumption going together with usage. If someone can tell me some test I can do in order to test if it working right or no. I’m just using the 2 ssdt file of this guide and the kext in the OC folder.

i also tempted to try smbios imac19,1 in order to achieve sidecar. My fear is that with igpu enabled probably mac os with that smbios prefer to use that instead of my dgpu. If i can test it i will post it here