[Guide 2018] Z820 - HIGH SIERRA, The great guide (Sucess)

bilbo

606 posts in this topic

wait wait, too fast... do you mean that you could install High sierra ?  :huh::huh:   WTF!!  Great news :)

I said that the ssdt is only a v1. For PM it needs another patch. But I didn't expect that you be able to go so far. Please, post what you did to have your current PM .

Edited by bilbo

11 hours ago, bilbo said:

wait wait, too fast... do you mean that you could install High sierra ?  :huh::huh:   WTF!!  Great news :)

I said that the ssdt is only a v1. For PM it needs another patch. But I didn't expect that you be able to go so far. Please, post what you did to have your current PM .

thank you so much. because of you :D

i will do it.

Edited by nanim

18 hours ago, bilbo said:

hi bilbo

i sent patched.zip and photo

could check it? 

is this PM???

test3.png

test4.png

patched.zip

Edited by nanim

Try this. Replace your current SSDT-1.

About PM, I assume that you followed all steps of my guide. 

First , check that you don't have KP :whistle:

Second , check your PM. Just repeat the steps with AppleintelInfo and check the output.

If you don't have PM, maybe you have to repeat the of SSDT creation with ssdtprgen. I think that you did it , but  pay special attention with the tip of drag ssdt-1 and epic.aml to desktop, renaming (this new and patched) ssdt-1 to dsdt.aml and add the argument  -mode custom to ssdtprgen script. 

SSDT nanim test v2.zip

Got some good news Guys :)

PM now fully working here with a Sandy Bridge Dual setup (2xE5 2670 v1).

Geekbench 3 score (32-bit) is around 35000 and Cpu speed step is working from 1.2 up to 3.3 GHz.

What did the trick was

./ssdtPRGen.sh -cpus 2 -p 'E5-2670' -x 1 -target 0 -turbo 3300 -c 3 -mode custom

Whatever else i've tried didn't work (I tried a lot :hysterical:).

My EFI folder for High Sierra z820v1 Dual E5 2670v1

23 hours ago, bilbo said:

Try this. Replace your current SSDT-1.

About PM, I assume that you followed all steps of my guide. 

First , check that you don't have KP :whistle:

Second , check your PM. Just repeat the steps with AppleintelInfo and check the output.

If you don't have PM, maybe you have to repeat the of SSDT creation with ssdtprgen. I think that you did it , but  pay special attention with the tip of drag ssdt-1 and epic.aml to desktop, renaming (this new and patched) ssdt-1 to dsdt.aml and add the argument  -mode custom to ssdtprgen script. 

SSDT nanim test v2.zip

hi Bilbo 

I followed your Post (Part V: Power Management)

1. install Hwsensors.

2. Fix AppleIntelInfo.kext

3. sudo  perl AICPMPatch.pl /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext /Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement  --patch

4. cp Legacyx86PlattformPlugin.kext /S/L/E

5. uncheck Asus AICPUMP (AppleIntelCPUPM) on clover

6. reboot 

7. curl -o ~/Library/ssdtPRGen.zip https://codeload.github.com/Piker-Alpha/ssdtPRGen.sh/zip/Beta 

8. chmod +x  ssdtPRGen.sh 

9. copy your ssdt-1(v2) to desktop and rename DSDT.aml

10. APIC.aml in origin, copy desktop

11. ./ssdtPRGen.sh -mode custom -b Mac-F60DEB81FF30ACF6 -p 'E5-2667 v2' -c 3 x 1 -cpus 2 -l 36

12. enable on clover "-xcpm"

13. reboot

14. sudo kextload AppleIntelinfo.kext

15. sudo cat /tmp/AppleIntelInfo.dat

test6.png

2 hours ago, nanim said:

hi Bilbo 

I followed your Post (Part V: Power Management)

1. install Hwsensors.

2. Fix AppleIntelInfo.kext

perfect, you only forget copy the ssdt-1 v2 file to your efi folder, in /acpi/patched/  replacing the current ssd-1 (v1).  This ssdt-1 is not only to generate the ssdt with pike script. For you, is mandatory keep it in the EFI folder. First version allowed boot (and install) in High Sierra. This version , if I'm not wrong, should allow you get a right PM. When you report the result, I'll extend the guide with a more elaborated explanation. 

Edited by bilbo

4 hours ago, amadeusex said:

Got some good news Guys :)

PM now fully working here with a Sandy Bridge Dual setup (2xE5 2670 v1).

Geekbench 3 score (32-bit) is around 35000 and Cpu speed step is working from 1.2 up to 3.3 GHz.

What did the trick was

./ssdtPRGen.sh -cpus 2 -p 'E5-2670' -x 1 -target 0 -turbo 3300 -c 3 -mode custom

Whatever else i've tried didn't work (I tried a lot :hysterical:).

My EFI folder for High Sierra z820v1 Dual E5 2670v1

Glad to heard that!!! :yes: Did you read my answer? I've seen your new ssdt and now it's right. I think that trick was to generate  pike's ssdt loading the new ssdt-1. The ssdt that you were trying was obsolete. 

1 hour ago, jack.avenger said:

As I know, "-xcpm" bootarg is obsolete and doesn't work in 10.13. I saw information about it on reddit

Yes you are right. ^_^ nvd_drv_1 boot flag is deprecated also from Sierra, and I'm still using it. It's silly, I know. It's like kinda a personal superstition. You can ignore them if you want ... :P

Amadeussex, I've take a look to your config.plist. Some patches have payed my attention. "make disable \_SB.SCK0 _STA to XSTA" . I think that you saw this thread . If I'm not wrong, we are lucky with our bios , because the legacy option of our bios, load the acpi cpu tables exactly in the way that this patch does. I mean, those patches are useless for us.

Also, those patch are for DSDT. People from that thread have the cpu tables in their dsdt. Our dsdt don't have it. Well , not if we don't copy manually the code to the dsdt. And your dsdt doesn't have it. So basically your are not patching nothing. 

But , I'm not sure 100%. I would like to confirm it . Could you tell me how are you using these patches and if they work or not?

56 minutes ago, bilbo said:

Amadeussex, I've take a look to your config.plist. Some patches have payed my attention. "make disable \_SB.SCK0 _STA to XSTA" . I think that you saw this thread . If I'm not wrong, we are lucky with our bios , because the legacy option of our bios, load the acpi cpu tables exactly in the way that this patch does. I mean, those patches are useless for us.

Hi Bilbo !

If You look closer they are disabled - As i stated above I tried a lot of things to get to the point to have fully working PM.

They are completely useless.

Piker's script had some weird behaviour (sometimes ... maybe depending on the used flags).

Let me elaborate further:

The first time i got PM partially working was with the wrong (/old) Scope SSDT.

Every other attempt (with the correctly generated SSDT/new Scope) was a failure and would either cause a kernel panic, or cause the Cpu to run constantly at 3.0 GHz (mind You that the script's output was always without errors and all states were correctly listed in the SSDT). 

What did the trick was finally to use the Syntax stated above ...

It's fun though even if it drives You crazy some times :)

Thanks again for Your hard work man :)

3 hours ago, jack.avenger said:

Hi, amadeusex. Can you show Cinebench R15 results?

Sure my friend - Im cloning the High Sierra Installation to an SSD right now.

If i remember correctly it was a score around 1900-2000 but i'll rerun it and post a screenshot.

Geekbench 3 32 bit was 35000 (ish) and Geekbench 4 64 was around 28000

1033741929_ScreenShot2018-10-16at21_58_26.thumb.png.703eb6d22c11e2e15bc15d839a3d83ac.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-16 at 21.59.19.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-16 at 22.12.04.png

Edited by amadeusex
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, bilbo said:

perfect, you only forget copy the ssdt-1 v2 file to your efi folder, in /acpi/patched/  replacing the current ssd-1 (v1).  This ssdt-1 is not only to generate the ssdt with pike script. For you, is mandatory keep it in the EFI folder. First version allowed boot (and install) in High Sierra. This version , if I'm not wrong, should allow you get a right PM. When you report the result, I'll extend the guide with a more elaborated explanation. 

I copy ssdt-1(v2) ==> pached directory

could you watch test7.png? 

test7.png

Well, it seems , it's all right ... :) . Don´t forget disable AppleIntelInfo.kext  typing "sudo kextunload AppleIntelinfo.kext" after your tests. I assume that you can see differents freqs in your regular use... from 12 to 33 with some higher peaks... right? You can do more extensive test with geekbench (check my folder) to see more detailed graphs. Btw, HWSensors always shows info in single-cpu mode. But you have 2 cpus working, of course.

That's a great news for the owners of the 26x7 users. This has been always the main issue reported for the users of z820. I'll add the info to the guide (and the right credits).

5 hours ago, bilbo said:

Well, it seems , it's all right ... :) . Don´t forget disable AppleIntelInfo.kext  typing "sudo kextunload AppleIntelinfo.kext" after your tests. I assume that you can see differents freqs in your regular use... from 12 to 33 with some higher peaks... right? You can do more extensive test with geekbench (check my folder) to see more detailed graphs. Btw, HWSensors always shows info in single-cpu mode. But you have 2 cpus working, of course.

That's a great news for the owners of the 26x7 users. This has been always the main issue reported for the users of z820. I'll add the info to the guide (and the right credits).

yes i watched peaks

my p-states 22~33     (E5 2667 v2 : 12 ~40)

not found C-states....

and your geekbench broken... cant start geekbench app

how can i fix it?

18 hours ago, amadeusex said:

Sure my friend - Im cloning the High Sierra Installation to an SSD right now.

If i remember correctly it was a score around 1900-2000 but i'll rerun it and post a screenshot.

Geekbench 3 32 bit was 35000 (ish) and Geekbench 4 64 was around 28000

In Cinebench R15 I have ~1980 on my Z820. But Geekbench 3 (32 bit) shows only ~33800. 

Have tried with yours SSDT file on my Z820, results are the same.

I think my low Geekbench result related to NUMA. My DDR3 modules are mixed 1333MHz / 1600MHz with different timings.  

2 hours ago, jack.avenger said:

In Cinebench R15 I have ~1980 on my Z820. But Geekbench 3 (32 bit) shows only ~33800. 

Have tried with yours SSDT file on my Z820, results are the same.

I think my low Geekbench result related to NUMA. My DDR3 modules are mixed 1333MHz / 1600MHz with different timings.  

They're close enough my friend, and Yes the mixed Ram may be the culprit but no one gives a f... about benchmarks :) 

32000 vs 35000 is not too much in geekbench 3. And yes,  It could be because of memory modules, indeed.  Your whole ram will work so fast like the slower module. 1333 vs 1600 can give you the difference, but , anyway, it´s a slight difference.

Hi. I would like complete the info, and the files patched included in the guide. Does anyone have 3.92 bios? I would like collect original dsdt and ssdt files of this bios versions. If anyone could send them to me, I'd appreciate. (with F4-clover - tip) Thanks.

1 hour ago, bilbo said:

Hi. I would like complete the info, and the files patched included in the guide. Does anyone have 3.92 bios? I would like collect original dsdt and ssdt files of this bios versions. If anyone could send them to me, I'd appreciate. (with F4-clover - tip) Thanks.

Sorry, recently my Z820 was downgraded to 3.91. Reason - v3.92 have microcode update related Meltdown/Spectre vulnerabilities.

• Updates Intel processor microcode to 0x42C for Ivy Bridge-EP processors, 0x713 for Sandy Bridge-EP C2/M1 processors and 0x61C for Sandy Bridge-EP C1/M0 processors.
• Includes enhancement to address CVE-2017-5715. 
• Improves security of UEFI code and variables.
• HP strongly recommends promptly transitioning to this updated BIOS version.

Beside this, v3.92 isn't latest version for Z820. There is v3.94 already

Version:3.94 Rev.A

The following fixes have been made in BIOS version 03.94:
-Fixes an issue where system could fail to boot after upgrading to Windows 10, version 1803. 
The following enhancements have been made in BIOS version 03.94:
-Updates Intel processor microcode to 0x42D for Ivy Bridge-EP processors, 0x714 for Sandy Bridge-EP C2/M1 processors and 0x61d for Sandy Bridge-EP C1/M0 processors.
-Includes enhancement to mitigate CVE-2018-3639 and CVE-2018-3640. 

So I think users must use v3.91 like I, or latest version, but not 3.92. By the way, bilbo, why you use v3.90?

On Sunday I can temporary upgrade to v3.92 and do what you want. Please PM me if it will be still actual.

got v3.92 and v3.94 dumps

origin_3_92.zip

origin_3_94.zip

Edited by jack.avenger