Jump to content

macOS Unlocker V3.0 for VMware ESXi


89 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi Donk and MSoK, huge thanks for your continued hard work. Worked perfectly for me on 6.7 (DellEMC Customized Image ESXi 6.7 A01, based on ESXi VMKernel Release Build 8169922). I did have to chmod the script but simply ran the installer, rebooted and setting up 10.14 now!

Nathan

Edited by nathanbuck88
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

G'day!

 

Thank you for this script, I'm really hoping to get some good use out of it.

 

My VMs, no matter how I configure them, just boot loop halfway through the initial loading screen. I tried the steps/script in the blog post here on InsanelyMac, as well as the ones here in your post, (one disc is ~6gb, one is close to 9gb) but they both loop :(

 

Is there a way to be able to see the logs when MacOS is attempting to load so I can see where it's failing?

 

ESXi 6.7u2

Unlocker 3.0

Mojave 14.6 (JUST created them)

 

Cheers!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For those of you that want to try this on the newly-released VMware Workstation Pro 15.5, you have to change lines 103 and 104 in gettools.py to:

urlpost15 = 'http://softwareupdate.vmware.com/cds/vmw-desktop/fusion/11.1.0/13668589/packages/com.vmware.fusion.tools.darwin.zip.tar'
urlpre15 = 'http://softwareupdate.vmware.com/cds/vmw-desktop/fusion/11.1.0/13668589/packages/com.vmware.fusion.tools.darwinPre15.zip.tar'

You also cannot use the compiled binaries. You have to use the Python files directly. Additionally, this patch only makes existing macOS VMs work. The component of the UI to make a new macOS VM is missing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, David-B said:

For those of you that want to try this on the newly-released VMware Workstation Pro 15.5, you have to change lines 103 and 104 in gettools.py to:


urlpost15 = 'http://softwareupdate.vmware.com/cds/vmw-desktop/fusion/11.1.0/13668589/packages/com.vmware.fusion.tools.darwin.zip.tar'
urlpre15 = 'http://softwareupdate.vmware.com/cds/vmw-desktop/fusion/11.1.0/13668589/packages/com.vmware.fusion.tools.darwinPre15.zip.tar'

You also cannot use the compiled binaries. You have to use the Python files directly. Additionally, this patch only makes existing macOS VMs work. The component of the UI to make a new macOS VM is missing.

 

thank you. 

 

I just tested Workstation 15.5 won't allow you to create Apple Mac OS X virtual machines anymore. You need to use Workstation 14.x's Player to create VM, and use VMware Workstation 14 Pro to continue the rest of the activities. (tested on 14.1.3). Once you have got it setup, you can upgrade to Workstation 15.5. I just did this as I am typing.

 

The only issue I had was unlocker302 had issues with VMware Tools, and i manually extracted darwin.iso from fusion in the virtual machine to install it.

 

 

Edited by charlesgalla
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, charlesgalla said:

 

thank you. 

 

I just tested Workstation 15.5 won't allow you to create Apple Mac OS X virtual machines anymore. You need to use Workstation 14.x's Player to create VM, and use VMware Workstation 14 Pro to continue the rest of the activities. (tested on 14.1.3). Once you have got it setup, you can upgrade to Workstation 15.5. I just did this as I am typing.

 

The only issue I had was unlocker302 had issues with VMware Tools, and i manually extracted darwin.iso from fusion in the virtual machine to install it.

 

 

So basically VMware patched out some sort of exploit that the unlocker script was utilizing and this method will no longer work anymore? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Blood-PawWerewolf said:

So basically VMware patched out some sort of exploit that the unlocker script was utilizing and this method will no longer work anymore? 

 

The steps are legit for Workstation 14 for setting up of OS-VM. That feature setup was all that was removed in version 15. It ditched all support for illegally setup of MacOSX, everything is speculation until we know it officially. :/

 

I'm running Workstation 15 Pro right now with Mac OS X.

Edited by charlesgalla
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, charlesgalla said:

 

The steps are legit for Workstation 14 for setting up of OS-VM. That feature setup was all that was removed in version 15. It ditched all support for illegally setup of MacOSX, everything is speculation until we know it officially. :/

 

I'm running Workstation 15 Pro right now with Mac OS X.


wont be surprised if Apple told VMware about it since Apple has been slowly closing the walls in more and more ever since iOS 11.

 

yet I’m running macOS 14 fine on workstation 15.5, yet I wonder if this completely destroys any chance of any upgrades to MacOS 15 soon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Blood-PawWerewolf said:


wont be surprised if Apple told VMware about it since Apple has been slowly closing the walls in more and more ever since iOS 11.

  

 yet I’m running macOS 14 fine on workstation 15.5, yet I wonder if this completely destroys any chance of any upgrades to MacOS 15 soon.

 

let's see how it goes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Blood-PawWerewolf said:


wont be surprised if Apple told VMware about it since Apple has been slowly closing the walls in more and more ever since iOS 11.

 

yet I’m running macOS 14 fine on workstation 15.5, yet I wonder if this completely destroys any chance of any upgrades to MacOS 15 soon.

What does iOS have anything to do with macOS & VMware?
iOS and macOS are two separate, very different matters.

Of course, unless at some point Apple chooses to merge them into 1 OS for all - mobile & laptops/desktops - but for now, this is a long way away and only speculation. :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Naki said:

What does iOS have anything to do with macOS & VMware?
iOS and macOS are two separate, very different matters.

Of course, unless at some point Apple chooses to merge them into 1 OS for all - mobile & laptops/desktops - but for now, this is a long way away and only speculation. :) 


I was saying that Apple was making it’s software more locked down in general.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/21/2019 at 12:47 PM, charlesgalla said:

 

thank you. 

 

I just tested Workstation 15.5 won't allow you to create Apple Mac OS X virtual machines anymore. You need to use Workstation 14.x's Player to create VM, and use VMware Workstation 14 Pro to continue the rest of the activities. (tested on 14.1.3). Once you have got it setup, you can upgrade to Workstation 15.5. I just did this as I am typing.

 

The only issue I had was unlocker302 had issues with VMware Tools, and i manually extracted darwin.iso from fusion in the virtual machine to install it.

 

 

You're welcome! The change that I gave above should have worked around the VMware Tools issue. The reason that the script was failing, at least in my case, was because the files that it was trying to download did not exist on the remote server, so I just pointed it at an older version of the files since a newer version does not appear to be available.

 

23 hours ago, Blood-PawWerewolf said:

So basically VMware patched out some sort of exploit that the unlocker script was utilizing and this method will no longer work anymore? 

 

23 hours ago, charlesgalla said:

 

The steps are legit for Workstation 14 for setting up of OS-VM. That feature setup was all that was removed in version 15. It ditched all support for illegally setup of MacOSX, everything is speculation until we know it officially. :/

 

I'm running Workstation 15 Pro right now with Mac OS X.

This was likely not intentional. This same scenario has happened in the past with previous VMware Workstation upgrades: the unlocker continues to work for supporting existing macOS VMs, but the ability to create a macOS VM via the user interface is gone. I am sure that when he gets a chance, @Donk will patch it up and get a new Unlocker version out in no time. No need to panic. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Donk said:

I will take a look at the new version. It shipped whilst I was on holiday and having a break from computers, internet etc.

Glad to see you back! :) Note issue is with older VMware Workstation versions too now, due to the server changes.

I.e. latest macOS Unlocker fails not only with Workstation 15.5, but with the older 15.1 too, for example. :) 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Donk said:

I will take a look at the new version. It shipped whilst I was on holiday and having a break from computers, internet etc.

FYI, take look at this thread if you haven't. Someone created a patch that seems to be working as far as giving the option to create a macOS guest on 15.5. 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, biGdada said:

hi guys.

i just tried to use the unlocker on 6.7U3, and i dont see an option to create 10.15 (catalina) guest. the latest version is 10.14. is this supposed to happen?

 

There is no specific Catalina option in ESXi. You will have to use Mojave 10.14.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2019 at 1:53 PM, t11chb said:

Hi folks, i've been banging my head against a wall with this one. I had to change my servers due to CPU support with vmware. I'm now running HP Proliant DL360 Gen8's and have tried 6.7 and 6.7u1 and was getting nowhere until i spotted this brief message which flashes up for a second on boot.

I tried googling it and saw something about secure boot but cannot find secure boot on these servers.

 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

 

 

 

image.thumb.png.047e1fa7fed5dcfdb8a7de147f3d456b.png

 

I am getting the exact same problem, will try to disable secure boot now and see if that helps...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've also been having problems

On 9/13/2019 at 10:46 PM, area51tazz said:

G'day!

 

Thank you for this script, I'm really hoping to get some good use out of it.

 

My VMs, no matter how I configure them, just boot loop halfway through the initial loading screen. I tried the steps/script in the blog post here on InsanelyMac, as well as the ones here in your post, (one disc is ~6gb, one is close to 9gb) but they both loop :(

 

Is there a way to be able to see the logs when MacOS is attempting to load so I can see where it's failing?

 

ESXi 6.7u2

Unlocker 3.0

Mojave 14.6 (JUST created them)

 

Cheers!

I've been having this problem recently as well. I had a 10.14 VM that had been rock solid for a long time (upgraded in place back from probably 10.9 or so). Upgrading to 10.15 results in it looping. Figuring it might have been a versioning, issue, upgraded hose to U3. Still no joy. Tried creating a fresh .15 vm and same issue. And then tried 10.14 vm and same thing. Trying a reinstall of Unlocker now. It looks like some people have found a string with what appears to be some Anti-Non-Mac hardware detection in it so I wonder if some recent updates are to blame.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Reapplying the Unlocker seems to have fixed it. It doesn't make any sense (and maybe some other combination of things actually would have fixed it). All I can't think is that the wackiness of setting the VM to Windows 10 64-Bit was required, but the upgrade to U3 was not. And the U3 upgrade messed up Unlocker (which the previous Updates hadn't).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Kapaaian said:

Reapplying the Unlocker seems to have fixed it. It doesn't make any sense (and maybe some other combination of things actually would have fixed it). All I can't think is that the wackiness of setting the VM to Windows 10 64-Bit was required, but the upgrade to U3 was not. And the U3 upgrade messed up Unlocker (which the previous Updates hadn't).

thanks for the update, dooes that mean that it works with U3? or did you downgrade?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

sorry but i'm on ESXI 6.7 U3

i have launch Unlocker 3.0 (the SMCPRESENT is TRUE)

and i have boot loop

 

i have put my mojave.iso  and try a mojave.vmdk too

i have try with my usb bootable of mojave.is

 

i see the apple logo and when just start to load, the machine restart...

 

i forgot something ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BDisp said:

@edem2302 I don't know if that solves the problem with ESXI 6.7 but it doesn't hurt to try. Here is the link https://github.com/BDisp/unlocker/releases/tag/3.0.3

thanks man !

i can't install it, maybe it's for Workstation ?

i am on esxi 6.7

ESXi-6.7.0-20190802001-standard (VMware, Inc.)

 

the script don't find a file and stopped, you can see the picture

 

Workstation.JPG

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...