macOS Unlocker V3.0 for VMware ESXi

90 posts in this topic

Verision 3 of the macOS Unlocker for VMware ESXi. Supports versions:

• ESXi 6.5 and 6.7

https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/964-macos-unlocker-v30-for-vmware-esxi/

https://github.com/DrDonk/esxi-unlocker/releases/download/3.0.0/esxi-unlocker-300.tgz

https://github.com/DrDonk/esxi-unlocker/

readme.txt

Please note that this will not work if Secure Boot is enabled on the ESXi host. This is by design where VMware restricts what can be run when booted using Secure Boot.

Edited by Donk
  • Like 4

Donk,

Thanks for releasing the new ESXi unlocker, apologies for not keeping you updated, has been working fine for me since you sent me the pre-release version.

Cheers,
MSoK.

• 2 weeks later...

I did update to 6.7U1 just yesterday and 3.0 continues to work.

I shut down my macos VMs, uninstalled unlocker, rebooted, updated ESXI, rebooted, re-installed unlocker again, rebooted and finally ... macos Mojave VM is back running ;)

Thanks

• Like 1

The unlocker cannot make this work. AMD macOS kernels are needed because macOS does not support AMD CPUs. You will find the details on the forums for setting up an AMD Hackintosh.

I may add a warning to the unlocker installer but it is still useful if you have AMD macOS setup available.

1 hour ago, Donk said:

The unlocker cannot make this work. AMD macOS kernels are needed because macOS does not support AMD CPUs. You will find the details on the forums for setting up an AMD Hackintosh.

I may add a warning to the unlocker installer but it is still useful if you have AMD macOS setup available.

I have had hackintoshes in the past, I am not a fan. The reason I am using VMware is to load it without hacks (at least no Mac hacks).

Are there any Intel chipsets that also don't agree? I am thinking in the server dual socket arena.

Edited by sunborn
grammar

Intel chipsets shopuld not matter as VMware has a "virtual chassis" that it emulates, unklike the CPU which iit virtualises. Just make sure you get a CPU with VMX Unrestricted Guest mode, as that is a new dependency for VMware products. Of course needs, VT-x and EPT as well.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, i.r. said:

@Donk Please add to readme chmod +x "filename". And most importantly a small bugreport: if you run ESXi on a server with Secure Boot ON, the scripts won't work.

What is missing +x? I just took a look at the archive and it was OK.

Yep - none of this will work with secure boot, which is a VMware design decision. No way around it but will add to readme for next release.

Edited by Donk

28 minutes ago, Donk said:

What is missing +x? I just took a look at the archive and it was OK. 

Yep - none of this will work with secure boot, which is a VMware design decision. No way around it but will add to readme for next release.

I mean in the readme, before this step

"Run the command from the terminal:

./esxi-install.sh"

there should be

"chmod +x esxi-install.sh"

56 minutes ago, i.r. said:

I mean in the readme, before this step

"Run the command from the terminal:

./esxi-install.sh"

there should be

"chmod +x esxi-install.sh"

I am still confused. The readme is correct you should not need the chmod command. The archive is uploaded to ESXi and use SSH or Tech Support Console to login and extract the contents. The permissions are correctly set in the gzipped tar file. Don't extract on another system and upload.

[root@vm-esxi670:/vmfs/volumes/5b41f592-268e512b-943f-000c29347f00] tar tzvf esxi-unlocker-300.tgz 
-rw-r--r-- dave/staff      4125 2018-09-27 07:02:45 unlocker.tgz
-rwxr-xr-x dave/staff       336 2018-09-27 07:02:45 esxi-install.sh
-rwxr-xr-x dave/staff       341 2018-09-27 07:02:45 esxi-uninstall.sh
-rwxr-xr-x dave/staff       189 2018-09-27 07:02:45 esxi-smctest.sh
-rw-r--r-- dave/staff      2629 2018-09-27 07:02:45 readme.txt

[root@vm-esxi670:/vmfs/volumes/5b41f592-268e512b-943f-000c29347f00/esxi-unlocker-300] ll esxi-*.sh
-rwxr-xr-x    1 501      20           336 Sep 27 07:02 esxi-install.sh
-rwxr-xr-x    1 501      20           189 Sep 27 07:02 esxi-smctest.sh
-rwxr-xr-x    1 501      20           341 Sep 27 07:02 esxi-uninstall.sh

On 11/9/2018 at 9:58 PM, Donk said:

I am still confused. The readme is correct you should not need the chmod command. The archive is uploaded to ESXi and use SSH or Tech Support Console to login and extract the contents. The permissions are correctly set in the gzipped tar file. Don't extract on another system and upload.

Yeah you are right, i must have read the readme for the different version that also includes windows executables

I am reporting that this fails for me when trying to apply to ESXI 6.7 U1 specifically ESXi-6.7.0-20181104001-standard

• Testing with esx-smctest.sh returns smcPresent = false
  • It appears that ex-install.sh runs cleanly with no errors, the fixup just does not appear to be loaded
  • esxcli system visorfs tardisk list | grep custom.vgz returns nothing

@Donk, let me know what you need to troubleshoot. 

On 11/20/2018 at 2:06 PM, Donk said:

I will take a look when I have some time, but unfortunately not at the moment.

Fresh install of 6.7u1, same problem for me. smcPresent=false

Works fine on another host which was 6.7 upgraded to 6.7u1.

I figured out the problem. 

It turns out the previous install of Unlocker (208) was still on the system despite my having run the uninstall script. After running the 208 uninstall script, rebooting, running the 300 install script then rebooting, things appear to be working again. This is with a Mojave VM.

PS. I upgraded from 6.0 to 6.7...

Edited by rteiouyr

• 4 months later...

Hi folks, i've been banging my head against a wall with this one. I had to change my servers due to CPU support with vmware. I'm now running HP Proliant DL360 Gen8's and have tried 6.7 and 6.7u1 and was getting nowhere until i spotted this brief message which flashes up for a second on boot.

I tried googling it and saw something about secure boot but cannot find secure boot on these servers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

image.thumb.png.047e1fa7fed5dcfdb8a7de147f3d456b.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm happy to report that, this morning, I got a MacOS Mojave 10.14 VM running on ESXi 6.5 Update 3 (July 2019).    I had no issues with Unlocker 3 - followed the instructions in the README, rebooted my VMWare host.... worked first time.

Edited by KSandbergFL