macOS Unlocker V3.0 for VMware ESXi

90 posts in this topic

Hello, regardless of whether or not the process involves a migration from 6.7 to 7.0. Can anyone confirm or deny if this works on 7.0? I'm about to install ESXi on some new hardware in 2-3 days and need to figure out which version to install. And since this is for homelab use the ability to run MacOS is pivotal for my decision. 

Thanks for the work on this btw! Very much appreciated!

• Like 1

On 4/19/2020 at 1:03 AM, hanz_zimmer said:

Hello, regardless of whether or not the process involves a migration from 6.7 to 7.0. Can anyone confirm or deny if this works on 7.0? I'm about to install ESXi on some new hardware in 2-3 days and need to figure out which version to install. And since this is for homelab use the ability to run MacOS is pivotal for my decision. 

Thanks for the work on this btw! Very much appreciated!

Confirmed NOT working on 7.0.

• Like 1

Ok. How to I change the permission of that file (If in fact that is needed)? or do I just replace the one in the unlocker.tgz of the 3.0 release.

Please advise me to the proper way (I like the other user realized that we downloaded there was no unloicker.tgz found when the install was run.

update:

I am sorry. I had downloaded the WRONG files. There is actually a package what stays v3.01 (esxi-unlocker-301.tgz). Use this and it worked for me. I watched the host boot and the last line was running the script of the package. All went well. ESXi 7 can NOW be used!

Edited by installdemo

Hi folks, I just updated the repo, as there is a non-sense about the .tgz file missing :

do it BEFORE installing unlocker :)

Create the unlocker.tgz file :

tar zcf unlocker.tgz etc/

Just to confirm, I have installed Catalina on multiple ESXi hosts without any issues :) Thank you so much for making this happen, it is literally the main reason I switched my main workflow over to virtualized guests on a server. I can do my editing from any computer anywhere no matter how crappy it is as long as I have internet and this seals the deal! Is there anywhere I can make a donation to you and the team?

osx.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/4/2020 at 6:02 PM, Musicims said:

Just to confirm, I have installed Catalina on multiple ESXi hosts without any issues :) Thank you so much for making this happen, it is literally the main reason I switched my main workflow over to virtualized guests on a server. I can do my editing from any computer anywhere no matter how crappy it is as long as I have internet and this seals the deal! Is there anywhere I can make a donation to you and the team?

osx.jpg

Can you encode a movie with iMovie? Want to see if the GPU carried over as the OSX VM looks like it reports 128MB Video Memory or less.

• 3 weeks later...

wierd.... i had it working for one boot then after some days i did a fresh boot os ESXi and all of a sudden i can not boot macOS anymore....

Weird completelky crashes and starting a boot loop from crashing to rebooting. etc

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Has anyone been able to run MacOS on ESXi with Ryzen CPU? I've tried a bunch of different methods (clean ISO, recovery VMDK, bootable USB, export from Workstation), just stops on Apple logo, logs show The CPU has been disabled by the guest operating system. Wondering if I should give up on this or keep attempting. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/1/2020 at 11:39 PM, hugepants said:

@installdemo @hanz_zimmer @jackharvest

I fixed Unlocker to support ESXi 7.0, you can download version 3.0.1 here:

https://github.com/hugepants/esxi-unlocker

I've tested on ESXi 7.0

only one problem ESXi UI not started, forced from SSH with command: /etc/init.d/esxui start

image.thumb.png.7e40db531b7813eb80ddb0c568deb252.png

Edited by Flying_Disk

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, 

I wanted to thank @hugepants for updating this for esxi 7. I'm completely new to this so there were a few things that took some googling to figure out. But for anyone else that's looking to do this, my experience took 2 install/reboots before I could get esxi to not crash 75% through the macOS boot. I was able to just select 10.15 OSX to get it to install and I had to use the disk utility to format the drive to APFS before it got through the prompt.

I appreciate all the help and suggestions everyone had put in here. Thank you all

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 8/15/2020 at 4:55 PM, xilex said:

Has anyone been able to run MacOS on ESXi with Ryzen CPU? I've tried a bunch of different methods (clean ISO, recovery VMDK, bootable USB, export from Workstation), just stops on Apple logo, logs show The CPU has been disabled by the guest operating system. Wondering if I should give up on this or keep attempting. Thanks.

You can virtualize MacOS with AMD CPU, but you have to use the new bootloader OpenCore.  Here's an example for workstation:  https://github.com/Ken5998/OpenCore-VMware-Workstation-AMD

There's a TON of guides and repos, if you Google it you'll probably find something that fits your situation.