macOS Mojave on Legacy PC ? Yes we can

PippoX0

27 posts in this topic

Well, macOS Mojave doesn't install on MBR/HFS+ partition / Enoch boot loader 

So i just found a workaround ....

1) Create USB pen with Clover

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ 10.14\ Beta.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/OSX --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ 10.14\ Beta.app --nointeraction

USB pen formatted in GUID /HFS+

and

Clover vers.4515  

2) Install on another 32 USB pen 

USB pen formatted in GUID /APFS

reinstall Clover vers.4515  

3) Clone Live Mojave installed USB  on MBR/HFs+ partition

Yeap, Carbon Copy Cloner vers 4.x and 5.x don't copy System files from APFS to HFS+

So, Damn it  How i can accomplish this task ???

Easy, i have used an old version of Carbon Copy Cloner version. 3.4.1. 

Sometimes old stuff are still useful ...

Cheers

Edited by PippoX0

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/12/2018 at 5:25 PM, Hervé said:

On the matter of Enoch, are you implying latest versions r290x boot Mojave ??? :blink:

Hi Hervé,

you are right, after I have cloned/Installed  macOS Mojave on MBR/HFS+ partition , now  I am able to boot it with Enoch Bootloader .

I have installed only FakeSMC.kext and nulCPUPowerManagement.kext in S/L/E and copied /Extra folder from HSierra

I'm using Enoch vers. 2725 and it boots from Lion to Mojave very well :thumbsup_anim:

I'm using my H67N-USB3-B3 mobo with Intel HD3000 ( Kexts from Sierra 10.12.6) 

but I have verified that I have no QE  enabled ( I'm think only some kind of openGL acceleration)

Cheers

PippoX0

1415217104_Screen2018-07-06.thumb.png.a6a26bd26e633e2dfefd9f24a92dd865.png

Edited by PippoX0

• 1 hour ago, pinarek said:

Herve good friend, please tell me if the Intel processor T9600 (2.8 GHz) can SSES 4.2 or only 4.1.
    And can Mojave walk with it?
    Thanks for an info

SSE 4.2 is available only on Nehalem and not on Penryn ; so T9600 don't have SSE 4.2

Thank you PippoX0 for your Answer.

I have in my old P55 Chipset Intel a Gainword GeForce 9500GT inside with 1GB VideoRam.

Boot with Mojave beta2 ok. Not full Screen only with a black border all around is probably on the VBios.

Can you still run this old PCIe card with QE/Ci in Mojave?

I was able to get dock/menu bar translucency with Mojave Beta 3 on my legacy XPS M1530 laptop (system no 3 in sig, Core2Duo Penryn with NVidia 8600M GT) after following @AsentientBot's instructions in post#2082 and using his patched GeforceTesla.kext from post#2125.  This stopped the kps after login when using HS Nvidia legacy kexts :thumbsup_anim:.

Note:  I also replaced /System/Library/UserEventPlugins/com.apple.telemetry.plugin

with the one from HS to prevent Mojave kp for Core2Duos.

Screenshot below shows the High Sierra kexts I used...

Mojave DB3 on XPSM1530.png

Legacy HS NVidia Kexts for QE:CI.png

Edited by fusion71au
Patched HS GeforceTesla.kext enables QE/CI for legacy NVidia cards in Mojave
  • Like 4

• 5 weeks later...

Wow. So you guys installed Mojave on non metal GPU's and QE is working fine? It works on my HD4000 which supports metal but it's not as smooth as High Sierra. You got the feeling that that Os needs more graphical resources, or maybe I done something wrong. I didn't try Mojave on my MacBook, I will wait for official release as I use it for work.

On 8/8/2018 at 9:44 AM, luki1979 said:

Wow. So you guys installed Mojave on non metal GPU's and QE is working fine? It works on my HD4000 which supports metal but it's not as smooth as High Sierra. You got the feeling that that Os needs more graphical resources, or maybe I done something wrong. I didn't try Mojave on my MacBook, I will wait for official release as I use it for work.

It seems they did, but I can not understand too much how to do it myself. I have got an ancient Nvidia 6200 GPU that works with High Sierra, I can boot the installer and go on with the install process but, when the welcome screen was suppose to appear, the OS restarts. It is not a DSMOS issue for sure, it gets through DSMOS to the Apple logo.

1 hour ago, Hervé said:

"an ancient Nvidia 6200 GPU that works with High Sierra" ??? :lol: I suppose it depends on your definition of "works"... Those cards were not supported beyond Leopard if I remember correctly. Even the 7xxx family were dropped after Lion.

The method used to get officlally unsupported GPUs like HD3000 or some older HighSierra-compatible nVidia models supported under Mojave was explained above. Very easy to do and it works as described.

@pinarek, sorry for the late reply but, yes, your T9600 will be fine for Mojave. My D630 runs it perfectly so far, with graphics acceleration on its nVidia Quadro NVS 135M (a derivative of GeForce 8400M GS, G86M chip) using above method for officially unsupported nVidia GPUs. It's fitted with a good old Penryn C2D T9300, FSB800 @2.5GHz.

For someone who is familiar with this kind of things seems fairly easy, for someone who has not tried such things by far seems very hard. I know the feeling. I need step by the step guide. 

GeForce Tesla kexts would probably not work with my GPU. High Sierra supports it, anyway. Maybe it sound unbelievable, but it is true. It works out of the box.

I am not that advanced to edit the kexts myself. Perhaps putting old Mountain Lion GeForce 6200 into the Clover EFI folder alongside FakeSMC shall do, but probably not.

If High Sierra supports this old GPU, Mojave does it well, at least in a way. The installer boots. This means that the kexts are already there, somewhere. But one these two happens:

1) Once the desktop needs to loaded, something that requires Metal is executed and it crashes the system;

2) The kext that supported the GPU during installation is deactivated once the desktop is loaded. If so, some patch to keep the kext support active could probably be easily created by someone who is more advanced then me. This is probably the case, since others made the Mojave desktop run on non-Metal hardware.

Edited by Vyzantion

Just discovered this http://dosdude1.com/mojave/ It seems really interesting. I Wonder if it will work on my lagacy machine. I know this developer„s tools have been discussed over on this board. Has anyone tried them on a lagacy (bios) machine? 

11 hours ago, PippoX0 said:

Dosdude1 tools are for unsupported Macs, but they could work fine for hackintosh as well ...
Cheers

sent from my iPhone

First successful install of Mojave PB using Dosdude1„s tools. It is a little tricky, but it is much simple then what was recommended earlier in this thread.

MacOS_Updater

Script to download macOS Mojave updates. Particularly for those who are still using HFS+. (Now Mojave with HFS+ is not able to receive system updates from Mac App Store/System Preferences)

https://github.com/Gengik84/MacOS_Updater

Very interesting script

Thanks to Gengik84 , CrazyBird, Piker Alpha, PMheart

Edited by PippoX0
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

@herve good friend have you ever tried on an unsupported Mac, how to update my imac 10.1 on hfs + partition with the macos_updater (for install on hfs+ Partition) from the 10.14.1 (18B75) to the 10.14.2 beta ? wanted to know if then even after a successful update then the Apple Apps such as Mail, Photo, iMessage and others do not work.

With my other Hackis who are supported, there are no problems with APFS but with hfs + partitions the same thing that almost no Apple apps work.

The update itself from 10.14.1-Final to 10.14.2 Beta1 runs normally without problems ... only then comes the said problem. What could be the problem ?

In the console what is displayed with the frameworks, do you have something more specific?

Pippox0 .. no, it is not because, have the update 10.14.2 Beta1 on 2 PC and a laptop again downloaded down and installed properly on APFS partition.

Only with the tool "macOS_Updater", despite the fact that the developer gingek84 has updated it a day ago, although now the installation works fine,

but just after that, the Apple programs like Mail, Photo, iMessage, Safari and others do not start. In the console, I found referrals that some frameworks

are not found in S / L / Private Framewoks, although they are present when looking.

Yes, I'm not surprised, that Apple tries to put stones in the way again to use the damn APFS. I have a large SSD and therefore I have both ready,

an APFS partition for Mojave and just continue to test, a hfs + Mojave partition.

On 11/4/2018 at 8:55 AM, pinarek said:

Pippox0 .. no, it is not because, have the update 10.14.2 Beta1 on 2 PC and a laptop again downloaded down and installed properly on APFS partition.

Only with the tool "macOS_Updater", despite the fact that the developer gingek84 has updated it a day ago, although now the installation works fine,

but just after that, the Apple programs like Mail, Photo, iMessage, Safari and others do not start. In the console, I found referrals that some frameworks

are not found in S / L / Private Framewoks, although they are present when looking.

Yes, I'm not surprised, that Apple tries to put stones in the way again to use the damn APFS. I have a large SSD and therefore I have both ready,

an APFS partition for Mojave and just continue to test, a hfs + Mojave partition.

Good news from gengik84

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleMediaServices.framework

Replace it with 10.14.1, all Apple apps work fine with MBR HFS+ on 10.14.2 18C31g here.

I wish the final release will fix the beta bug issue:yes:, if it's a bug, not a OOXX.:(

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for any tips to solve this problem. Everything is going now again.

But why did Apple change this? just to annoy us with hackintosh or is it something else on it?

i have testet Apple.Media.frameworks from a updatet 10.14.2 Beta1 from APFS Partition replace in hfs+ Partition,  many Apple Apps work only NOT Safari works not.

Edited by pinarek
  • Like 1

@pippox0 my Friend:

yes, if I replace all Apple.Media.frameworks from 10.14.1 in 10.14.2 Beta1 in hfs + partition is ALL (even Safari) only I have tried,

from the updated 10.14.2 Beta1 in the APFS partition Apple.Media. replace framworks in the 10.14.2 Beta1 in hfs + partition and then Safari will not work.

It was just a test.

Now that I know that the Apple.media.frameworks from the 10.14.1 Final work, then I can then at the next Beta2 then as always "macOS_Updater" for hfs + run

and then again from the 10.14.1 Final these files ( Apple.Media.frameworks) in hfs + partition replace and everything is ok.