[Guide 2018] Z820 - SIERRA, The great guide (Sucess)

bilbo

197 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, bilbo said:

Well , after this week with the site down,  let's go back with our bussiness.... ^_^

Yessss .. good news . :)

I was about to throw all away, and really sad thinking in my options , when reading some advice and some thing in HP forums, I decided do "jumper crisis" method: I thought that it's not useful in my case, but anyway,  I tried, and... bingo... the motherboard resurrected miraculously. It seems that the guilty was my raid pci card (lsi 9260): When the motherboard died, I was changing the graphic card and to do that, I have to unplug the lsi card too. Somehow, the card blocked the motherboard.

After do jumper crisis - method,  and the resurrection , trying to plugin the card again, I get an obscure "PCI ERROR on slot 1"  bios screen. So I decided throw the card to the garbage. Without it, the z820 boots normally. I passed all hardware test with the z820 utilities. More than 12 hours. The hardware seems ok. I bought a lsi card a few days ago.

I'm still testing , just in case, but everything seems ok.  It has been in a big scare

btw, crisis  recovery  jumper is not described in any official documentation. Only the threat linked above and even in that thread there is no any official answer  . HP is an absurd company.

hey hey hey !!  nice one .. glad to hear it all came good, didnt sound good for a bit there ... well done with the peristance and the ressurection !!

Hello to everybody and thanks for this great guide!

I was able to run Sierra on my Z620 with dual CPU (Sandy Bridge) and now, after a bit of struggling due to InsanelyMac's downtime, I'm writing from my brand new High Sierra 10.13.3 installation!

High-Sierra-20180312.png.feaa2c6b0747979def2e17221cc12265.png

Right now I've managed to install thanks to another source of information, this one:

https://github.com/NTT123/Hackintosh-HP-Z420-MacOS-High-Sierra-10.13

but I'd like to refine it a bit following bilbo's guide...

Anyone could please re-share bilbo's ZIP file? I can't manage to download (0 byte archive).

Edited by antonio.clb

re-uploaded

The new forum is a little unstable. It's an external link for the moment.

Btw, I forget thank to all people who message me by pm, with suggestions and advices ;)

Edited by bilbo
  • Like 1

Thanks a lot bilbo!

I confirm that, on my Z620, USB 3.0 ports are now working like a charm with your mXHCD.kext (no USB 3.0 show in system profiler but maybe it's a matter of those cosmetic fixes...)!

I'll try to optimize and summarize my settings and share them with the community in the next few days.

For now, I can tell you that audio is working really good with VoodooHDA.kext.

Thanks again for your

1 minute ago, bilbo said:

Sorry Antonio, but is your guide for 10.12 or 10.13 ? I find your guide and your clover folder a little confused. ;)

The original guide is for 10.12 but, on top of the page, you can notice a folder named "10.13.2" that contains a Clover configuration suitable for the installation of High Sierra 10.13.3:

1. created USB installer (I've used and old HDD attached to a USB 3.1 dock plugged, of course, in the USB 2.0 front connector of my Z620);
  2. installed Clover on this drive;
  3. copied the whole "CLOVER" folder fron the "10.13.2" folder of NTT's GitHub page;
  4. activate "Legacy ACPI CPU Tables" in BIOS (important!)
  5. installed High Sierra!

Then I've made a couple of steps from your old guide to enable MacPro 6,1 SMBIOS, PM and so on. Also installed NVIDIA web drivers.

I'll be glad to give you further details and my full configuration in a couple of days: busy at work right now, sorry!

BTW, AppleALC was updated to ver. 1.2.3:

v1.2.3
•    Added alcid=layout boot argument for testing purposes
•    Added automatic rename for HDEF device
•    Added ALC255 layout-id 18 for Aorus X5V7 by DuNe
•    Change Platforms18.xml.zlib for ALC255 by DuNe
•    Added ALC898 layout-id 101 by Andrey1970 (4 Line Out)
•    Added ALC262 layout-id 28 for HP Z800-Z600 series by MacPeet
•    Added ALC225 layout-id 33 by ChalesYu
•    Added ALC282 layout-id 127 No input boost Acer Aspire on IvyBridge by Andrey1970
•    Added ALC294 layout-id 13 by InsanelyDeepak
•    Added IDT92HD91BXX layout-id 13 for HP Envy 6 1171-SG by MacPeet

I have replaced version from Bilbo’s pack with new one and remove CodecCommander.kext
Seems like everything is OK. Test passed ;) 

oh yes, of course. When I made the guide, I though and thought about how the guide could be show the process. I decided that is better that people understand the complete process, the nature of the fixes. The quick guides , drag and replace-style, tend to give misunderstandings.

Understanding the complete process, maybe after follow the guide at least once, everybody can make it shorter. Almost in a single step, using the right version of config, dsdt, and kexts files after the first boot. That is because I included into the stuff, one final folder called FINAL STEP :) . (This doesn't include PM process). After installation, only replacing files, it can take only a few minutes to complete the guide. 

• Like 1

On 3/15/2018 at 1:12 AM, bilbo said:

I decided that is better that people understand the complete process, the nature of the fixes. The quick guides , drag and replace-style, tend to give misunderstandings.

Yes, I finished my own Sierra last Summer. Follow your El Capitan guides :rolleyes:

Yes, I'm not using z820 :thumbsup_anim:

I tried High Sierra recently, it still very difficult. :( 

Edited by wham17wham

Thanks for bilbo. I successfully transfer from 10.11 to 10.12 with dual E5-2670 v1 and bios 3.91. 

But I got a problem which is I can't really shutdown my computer. It is always restart instead of shut down. Anyone know how to fix this minor problem.

I just directly use the file(06 CLOVER FINAL -NO-PM) provided from billbo. Of course, I fixed PM later.

On 17/3/2018 at 9:59 PM, ho520726 said:

Thanks for bilbo. I successfully transfer from 10.11 to 10.12 with dual E5-2670 v1 and bios 3.91. 

But I got a problem which is I can't really shutdown my computer. It is always restart instead of shut down. Anyone know how to fix this minor problem.

I just directly use the file(06 CLOVER FINAL -NO-PM) provided from billbo. Of course, I fixed PM later.

Same problem here with my Z620 on High Sierra: reboot or shutdown fail with a "929-Fatal MCA error". Pressing F1 will continue the boot process.

On 3/17/2018 at 10:59 PM, ho520726 said:

Here's my Siera EFI folder (I have the same cpu's) give it a shot (after you've adjusted everything to Your specs of course) and let us know if it works.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uyrw0FaqrIoBa8HZlBdxRQdjpHXyj8n8

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1B1d2EfQJ213d6cQizfa8195f8RsoIHrS (Kexts in S/L/E)

I patched aicpupm but used the cloverpatch 

post-885315-0-36028900-1519330312.png

1. ( for ho520726 ) Newest Clover configurator has a shut down patch. Try to enable it.

2. (for bilbo) About High Sierra, there are one DSDT patch to prevent quick rebooting at very beginning. Then, you can finished the installation. I believe.:)

Edited by wham17wham

@amadeusex Thank for your help. I fixed the shutdown problem with clover configurator "shutdown" path. Actually, I fixed pm by follow the way how bilbo listed and finally put your dsdt file and it works. Thank for sharing your file. Glad I have the same cpus as you.

@wham17wham Thank for your help. It did work.

Another problem, I just find out a very annoying problem, I don't know is it my motherboard is going down. When I am downloading file from Internet the lan port or motherboard make some noise(especially down as high speed like 10MB/per sec, it would be more noise). I didn't realize that problem when I installed my pc with mac 10.11 in my workplace(a more noise environment), but now I moved my pc to my home. The noise is more visible. Anyone is same?????

In this problem, I also find out one problem is that the IntelMausiEthernet.kext can't support two lan port even I used the dpci manager to check it can show two network controllers. I can only use the upper lan port. The bottom one can't use. so I replace it with Appleintele1000e.kext and it works. (I also dun know is it my own problem as well, just to mention what I experienced)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ho520726 said:
[mention=885315]amadeusex[/mention] Thank for your help. I fixed the shutdown problem with clover configurator "shutdown" path. Actually, I fixed pm by follow the way how bilbo listed and finally put your dsdt file and it works. Thank for sharing your file. Glad I have the same cpus as you.
[mention=2137512]wham17wham[/mention] Thank for your help. It did work.
Another problem, I just find out a very annoying problem, I don't know is it my motherboard is going down. When I am downloading file from Internet the lan port or motherboard make some noise(especially down as high speed like 10MB/per sec, it would be more noise). I didn't realize that problem when I installed my pc with mac 10.11 in my workplace(a more noise environment), but now I moved my pc to my home. The noise is more visible. Anyone is same?????
In this problem, I also find out one problem is that the IntelMausiEthernet.kext can't support two lan port even I used the dpci manager to check it can show two network controllers. I can only use the upper lan port. The bottom one can't use. so I replace it with Appleintele1000e.kext and it works. (I also dun know is it my own problem as well, just to mention what I experienced)

Noise i suspect is the PSU coils or chokes.. I have it also.. it's normal and often referred to as coil whine. I suspect it's due to the PSU / system not using much power. I do not get it when PM is off.

I have it bad on Windows and OSX. Under Linux it's silent... Pain in the ass and prevents me using OSX. Some fixes for this online appear to be squirt hot glue on the PSU coils but it did not work for me.

Edited by Cass67
cleanup double quoting from tapatalk post