[Guide 2018] Z820 - SIERRA, The great guide (Sucess)

bilbo

197 posts in this topic

First of all a BIG THX to bilbo. Great guide you made here!

I did all settings according the guide but i got stuck with macOS utilities.

Disk utility is working fine. I can format and whatever. As soon i go back and hit “Install OS” and “continue” the process hangs up. Screen remains normal, continue is greyed out and nothing happens.

Has anyone an idea what could be the cause?

thx for any help :)

10 minutes ago, Schmudi said:

First of all a BIG THX to bilbo. Great guide you made here!

I did all settings according the guide but i got stuck with macOS utilities. 

Disk utility is working fine. I can format and whatever. As soon i go back and hit “Install OS” and “continue” the process hangs up. Screen remains normal, continue is greyed out and nothing happens.

Has anyone an idea what could be the cause?

thx for any help :)

Maybe something wrong with filesystem? Do you format your SSD HFS+ or APFS?

8 minutes ago, Schmudi said:

SSD is formatted in HFS+

Could you please post a screenshot of Disk Utility's informations about your drive? have you double-checked that it's connected to an AHCI SATA-3 port?

The Z620 has a 6-channel SATA interface with its first 2 ports (ports 0 and 1) having SATA III speed capacity, and the 4 added ports (ports 2-5) have SATA II speed capacity.

image.png.6e7a1fc00d4dfe5e6067b34099febc69.png

Also take a look at macOS installation log:

https://scriptingosx.com/2018/02/show-the-installer-log-during-high-sierra-installation/

Edited by antonio.clb

14 hours ago, antonio.clb said:

Could you please post a screenshot of Disk Utility's informations about your drive? have you double-checked that it's connected to an AHCI SATA-3 port?

image.png.6e7a1fc00d4dfe5e6067b34099febc69.png

Also take a look at macOS installation log:

https://scriptingosx.com/2018/02/show-the-installer-log-during-high-sierra-installation/

Disk is connected on Port 0. During the initial start (verbose mode) i can see that the disk gets mounted correctly and shows also the file system type HFS+

What i can check is your suggestion to have a look on the log.

Thanks for the hint!

9 minutes ago, Schmudi said:

Disk is connected on Port 0. During the initial start (verbose mode) i can see that the disk gets mounted correctly and shows also the file system type HFS+

What i can check is your suggestion to have a look on the log.

Thanks for the hint!

Keep us informed!

Seems that i found something.

Can it be that the interface for USB and SATA doesn't come up properly?
IMG_0604.thumb.PNG.e67a6d04afae4c41c4052e8da5c7158d.PNG

installer is working. had to replace the build. first one was version 10.12.0. build 16322. now i tried 8v.... version 10.12.6

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Schmudi said:

installer is working. had to replace the build. first one was version 10.12.0. build 16322. now i tried 8v.... version 10.12.6

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Glad to hear this!

Please note that High Sierra guide is out HERE. Additionally, since you've a macOS native supported video card, Mojave could worth a try too!

Best regards.

AC

• 5 months later...

Hi There,

First, thanks for this guide.  It was a huge help in getting my z820 up and running on Sierra.  I was saved a lot of grief because of this guide.

I do have one issue, and at this point I'm kind of stuck, so hopefully the community might have some answers or think of something I may have neglected.

I've been trying, in vain, to get DaVinci Resolve to be stable on my hackintosh, but unfortunately it crashes within a few minutes of boot.  I've been checking out crash logs, and I'm pretty determined that it has something to do with my graphics card.  I run a z820, 2X 6-core 2.5ghz cpu Intel Xeon, and I've got a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 in there.  I have never been able to successfully install the NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext without kernel panics, so I'm not entirely convinced the web drivers are running properly.

When I run kextstat | grep nvidia, I get the following:

129    2 0xffffff7f819f7000 0x637000   0x637000   com.nvidia.web.NVDAResmanWeb (10.1.8) FADE0121-55EE-3178-8CD3-768052136F20 <128 123 112 12 7 5 4 3 1>
  130    0 0xffffff7f82042000 0x19a000   0x19a000   com.nvidia.web.NVDAGP100HalWeb (10.1.8) E489B3EA-E302-33F7-B0A6-FF45CF2E60FA <129 12 4 3>
  132    0 0xffffff7f82aa8000 0xa3000    0xa3000    com.nvidia.web.GeForceWeb (10.1.8) 566BB373-664D-32D5-9F12-F555A0818F5F <131 129 123 112 12 7 5 4 3 1>
  143    0 0xffffff7f815a8000 0x2000     0x2000     com.nvidia.CUDA (1.1.0) 4329B052-6C8A-3900-8E83-744487AEDEF1 <4 1>

So that leads me to believe that perhaps they are running, but I'm unsure how that would be possible.  In my config.plist, I'm using boot flags nvda_drv=1, and npci=0x2000.  Under graphics, the only thing I have switched on is Load VBios, and in System Parameters, I have NvidiaWeb switched off.

At this point, I'm at a loss as to why NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext is causing kernel panics, and why the Resolve is constantly crashing.  I get the feeling if I could get around the KPs, then maybe Resolve would be stable.

If you have any thoughts, I'd greatly appreciate the help.

1 hour ago, richardskrip said:

I have switched on is Load VBios, and in System Parameters, I have NvidiaWeb switched off

Graphic drivers are always a headache. But I have 1080ti with no problems. I have installed resolve too, just for play, no intensive use, but it runs. Running candle test I get nice results. I still on Sierra.

Most important I would say firstly is with Nvidiaweb option checked off in clover, your are not using nvidia driver. Sure. Easy to check it out. Just take a look into nvidia icon in the bar menu.

Second, you don't need Load Vbios option (not sure 100%, but I would say sure at 95%). Do you have KP before or after of install nvidia driver? Only with resolve?

This is the Sierra thread, so I guess that you are running Sierra. Post exactly your os version and graphics driver version.

Anyway, without nvidia driver, the system should be stable.  The rest are weird. You shouldn't have problems with NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext. And anyway, you can´t no use this kext. It 's essential to up graphics with macpro 6.1. So , there is something miss here.

And again, are you sure that the problem is NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext? My only experience with random KP minutes after boot were with a wrong dsdt patch (HDEF patch). Maybe your suspect is not right.

With this kind a big issues with so many aspects to check, I always follow the strategy of separate and check.

My first advice would be:

-uninstall completely nvidia webdriver . Not sure right now how do it. Search in google. Remember clear in clover all settings related with nvidia options.

Then, you could focus in the KP and the NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext. If KPs continue, post as info as you think be useful. I'll try to help.

System Version: macOS 10.12.6 (16G1036)

NVIDIA Web Driver: 378.05.05.25f03

I've verified through the NVIDIA toolbar icon that it is running web drivers.

I will go ahead and disable Load VBios.

As for the KPs, they occur when I install NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext into the EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/other folder.  For whatever reason that always triggers the KP.

So I went ahead and uninstalled both the nvidia web drivers and cuda drivers and then tried reinstalling the NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext.  Still got the same KP.  I attempted to grab a screenshot of the KP so you could see what was going on there.

image1.thumb.png.e77f46edf5198ed24402d31976e0bc14.pngimage2.thumb.png.01b4f10e7ec5f63a7d9e3c48a0c0059a.png

Ok. That's really weird.

Please, tell me:

-Thats means that before "to install" NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext, you didn't have this kext in your clover folder? (that make no sense)

-When you uninstall the NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext, do you have KP?

-Why are you using "kernel=/System/Library/Kernels/kernel" bootflag in clover?. That make no sense, either.

edited- I didn’t see your first post.

could attach your clover folder?

Edited by bilbo

I've just take a look to your clover folder. I've seen some error into drivers uefi folder ( duplicated OsxAptioFixDrv version, which is a big problem,) but I'm not sure because I'm seeing the driver folder for non uefi boot. Are you using legacy or UEFI boot?

Check the dsdt is a bit more complex and I'll need more time. What is your bios version? How many patches did you apply? (Did you follow my guide to patch the dsdt, or maybe are you using one of the templates, or...)

With a bit of more time, I'll try to say something more.

I've been searching about kernel=/System/Library/Kernels/kernel options. No idea. It seems to be a chameleon (or Enoch bootflag) :surprised:

Edited by bilbo

Ok. I think I got something. Checking your dsdt, you have a wrong fix of irq conflict.

You have:

Device (HPET)
            {
                Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0103"))  // _HID: Hardware ID
                Name (CRS, ResourceTemplate ()
                {
                    IRQNoFlags ()
                        {0,8,11}
                    IRQNoFlags ()
                        {0,8,11}
                    Memory32Fixed (ReadWrite,
                        0xFED00000,         // Address Base
                        0x00000400,         // Address Length
                        _Y32)

You have duplicated IRQNoFlags line. It should be only:

Device (HPET)
            {
                Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0103"))  // _HID: Hardware ID
                Name (CRS, ResourceTemplate ()
                {
                    IRQNoFlags ()
                        {0,8,11}
                    Memory32Fixed (ReadWrite,
                        0xFED00000,         // Address Base
                        0x00000400,         // Address Length
                        _Y32)

This make sense completely about random KP minutes after boot. I had exaclly same issue with this patch and the fix of HPET device (both are related) when I was finding out how fix it (in El Capitán's times). Not sure 100% but lets try fixing this. I attach the dsdt fixed. I added the extra patch to rename devices, too. It's the last of my dsdt patches. Not essential, but tidier.

Also:

A "drivers64" folder (for clover) with drivers for EFI boot. I don´t know if you use legacy or efi boot, yet, but I guess that you use efi boot. Delete the "drivers" folder. This fix the double foulder, (no sense) and fix the duplicate OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi versions. It's important only use one of them. For our Z820, OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi works. This fix maybe solve the KP at boot. If you use legacy boot, don't use it yet.

And also:

A more recent version of SSDT-UIAC-ALL ssdt, for fix usb ports. It a better version we made in HighSierra Thread. It covers better the internal usb ports, if you use internal usb2 cards.

Let me know, and we will see if we will be able to see what's going on with nvidiafix.

DSDT-fixed-by-bilbo.zip

SSDT-UIAC-ALL-new-version.zip

drivers64UEFI.zip

Edited by bilbo
  • Like 1

I installed the fixed DSDT and SSDT.  I also installed the drivers64UEFI folder.  The system booted smoothly.

However, when I installed the nvidiagraphicsfixup kext, I still got a KP.  I'm attaching a photo of the KP.

To answer your previous question, I have disabled legacy booting from my bios and have always been booting EFI.

IMG_0833.thumb.jpg.95991c37e51709540bb4578a9b9e4710.jpg

A quick answer would be  "don't use it". :D.

But before of this. Have you tested it for a while after boot? Is it stable? Are you still having random KPs?

Returnig to  nvidiagraphicsfixup kext, both results don't make sense. Without this kext you would get a black screen. And there is no reason for the KP using it.

So, my guess is that, probably, in your tests, you applied the fix manually. This could cause a conflict.

Please,go to system/library/extension. Copy AppleGraphicsControl.kext to your desktop.Go to contents of this kext (righ click) >plugins>AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext/Contents/ . Open Info.plist. Search line related to SMBIOS 6.1 to see if you have this one:

<key>F60DEB81FF30ACF6 </key>

<string>Config2</string>

or this one

<key>F60DEB81FF30ACF6 </key>

<string>none</string>

If you fixed manually and you have the second one, you can forget the nvidiakextfix kext and be happy. If you have the first maybe your version is incompatible .We can fix that using other version, or simply, change to the highsierra fix.

Anyway, the smbios in your config.plist seems a bit messy. Begin to regenerate it with clover configurator and reboot. You should see in apple system profiler "macpro 6,1"

Then, tell me the result of your AppleGraphicsControl.kext test and we will see how continue.

Edited by bilbo

So I dug into that AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext and while I was searching around in S/L/E I noticed a whole slew of kexts that look like they were residual from perhaps a past chameleon install.  At that point I decided a fresh re-install of the OS was probably going to be the only way to get around the issues I was having.

So I did that, following this guide step by step and the process was flawless, until the very last step.  When generating the SSDT with Pike's script, I must have done something and now the audio is coming out of only the internal speaker in the z820, even when choosing "line out" in OSX.

Everything else is working great.

I think it has been a good decision. Chameleon was too much invasive on S/L/E. And if you tried with it, I'm absolute sure that some kind of chameleon's fix was redundant and/or incompatible with nvidiafix kext. I'm glad everything is allright now.

About audio panel control incongruency, it's normal!!! Macpeet , the author of the patch explained it here: I'll edit the guide to clarify it.

Edited by bilbo