[Guide 2018] Z820 - SIERRA, The great guide (Sucess)

bilbo

197 posts in this topic

On 3/27/2018 at 12:19 PM, Cass67 said:

Interesting development here with this whining noise, its deffo coming from my PSU, but what seems to be the "cause" of the majority, if not all, of it is my mouse.  I have a Corsair M65 gaming mouse and when moving it around, moving windows, scrolling web pages etc, i get a whining noise... Spent the better part of a day trying to figure out how to disable c-states to remove the whine as from what i read this removes the problem, well masks it really.  But here is the fun part, when swapping the mouse out for an Apple one, the noise is gone... wtf!! Must have something to do with the frequency of the laser updating movement or something on the m65.  but for now on the Apple mouse its silent... 

EDIT -  Turns out its not perfectly silent.  Now the mouse noise is out the way im hearing the network traffic noise reported earlier.. This "appears" not to be coming from the PSU but from somewhere in the region of the rear ports. Pulled the 2nd cpu raiser out to get a good listen and it seems like this is it...  The coils nearby seem to have plastic/glue on them to stop vibration , maybe they need some more glue on .. i dunno for now... 

I have tried a few things to remove the whine but its still there slightly.  Added a PCI network card, removed a pci sound card, moved the power cable out from a 4 way adapter to a direct plug into the wall.  Its improved somewhat but not fully gone ..  

A small update to my whining issue in case someone somewhere comes across this post .. 

And here after all this time tonight i finally removed the $$^%$%$£ irritating whine that plagued me on this system on Windows and OSX but funnily enough not Linux .. I moved back to my E5-2640 cpus and its gone... its like the E5-2690's were too much for the system or something ... or the power management did something funky with them ... Now i have absolute silence not a squeak or squeal to be had ... 

In windows i was able to remove it for the most part on the 2690's by using ThrottleStop app and shutting off C1E cpu feature but this was less than ideal, could not find a way to do in OSX ... Ahh well i suppose i trade 4 cores and some boost clock for absolute silence, ;) i can live with that

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/4/2018 at 7:05 AM, ochja said:

maybe your z620 is similar to my z420 ?

i have to change the ports in the SSDT-UIAC-ALL with maciASL

my HP z420 USB Ports are

USB3
- PEX3
USB2
- EH02 PR21
-- HP22 (Front USB Card Reader - fully working ;-) )
-- HP23 (Front USB 2.0 Port)
-- HP26 (Front USB Card Reader)

- EH01 PR11
-- HP11
-- HP12
-- HP13
-- HP14
(the 4 USB 2.0 rear Ports)

regards

SSDT-UIAC-ALL.aml

Perfect!!! This ssdt is ok for my HPZ620 all my USB2&3 ports (front and rear) function perfectly

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Bilbo!! 

Great guide!!!! I have upgraded my old Asus P5KC with a Q6600 to a new (old) HP Z420 with a E5-2650. Almost everything on your guide works as well on the Z420.

The only three things which differs from your guide are the DSDT errors patch, the USBs SSDT, and the CPUs SSDT.

Now I have my Z420 fully working.

Thank you very much!!!

Regards!

EDIT: For everyone with the same specs as mine I have attached DSDT, CPU SSDT for E5-2650 @ 2.00 GHz, and USB SSDT. Copy these files to EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched.

patched_Z420_E5-2650_aml.zip

Edited by Domingo Minola
Added patched files

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has had any luck with the the 26xx cpu's? I see there is a special call out about them, but not information on how to deal with them? 

My system has two, and am wondering if I should even bother trying this? (First Hackintosh). 

If anyone has any pointers or comments, that'd be great. 

FWIW I have two 2697v2's

Edited by nulluserid

Hi,

not sure it will help but I hope it will.

I have a Dell T5600 (quite similar to Z620).

I fixed wake from sleep problem with bios mod by enabling Intel Management Engine.

https://www.win-raid.com/t3769f39-DELL-T-BIOS-A-amp-A.html

On the other side, no way to fix Intel Raid controller integrated (1d6b)?

Trying to play with freebsd isci -- Intel C600 Serial Attached SCSI driver but too complicate for me.

I only have 2 working sata port (I have to use a PCI-E controller for additional).

Any idea?

Edited by vedovatod

Hi guys ...

Just a warning to not update your bios.

BUT if you do so you actually can downgrade to whatever bios version you want. You have to pull the so called password jumper (the green one on the right side of the motherboard (no41) next to the front fan connectors).

Now after downgrading back to .91 bios I get a kernel panic.

Any clue why ?

IMG_20180821_223521.jpg

On 8/21/2018 at 8:43 PM, amadeusex said:

Hi guys ...

Just a warning to not update your bios.

BUT if you do so you actually can downgrade to whatever bios version you want. You have to pull the so called password jumper (the green one on the right side of the motherboard (no41) next to the front fan connectors).

Now after downgrading back to .91 bios I get a kernel panic.

Any clue why ?

IMG_20180821_223521.jpg

Had no issue like this on my Z620 updating to 3.92 rev A i think it was, latest one for Spectre and Meltdown patch .. Updated bios and booted as normal..  I see there is a 3.94 bios available now, not tried that yet .. this is the version you used ?

Yes. 

The update to 3.92 went smooth.

3.94 is to avoid though - at least in my case :)

The good news ist though that a downgrade is possible.

The newer versions have some kind of a lockdown built in that prevents downgrade. You get the 0x00 unknown error after flashing.

With the 41 jumper removed you can downgrade again.

I guess I have to fiddle around with clover and the additional kexts to get it up and running again.

Edited by amadeusex
Syntax

I got kernal panic after used for half year. And I have no idea what is going on so I re-install again but the problem remain timout kextd wait "IOfirewireLocalNode". 

I found that when i patch "Fixing IRQ and HDEF in DSDT" or place AppleALC.kext , I got kernel panic I don't whether my z820 motherboard is broken. :wallbash:

Ive made it to near the end of the guide ( working fine, but the cpus seem to be running really warm.  They are all hovering around 60c but presumably, this last power management step will help with that.  I am at a loss as to how to do this step or what utility I should use.  Assuming I find the right utility how should I fix the permissions?   I will save the file most likely initially to the desktop if someone could help me out with commands: 

– One last step, Download and install the 10.11 X79PlatformPlugin.kext of the link. (or from my stuff) to S/L/E , with your favorite utility. (It works for 10.12, of course)

-That’s all. Ignore step 4 and step 5 from the link.

IMPORTANT >>>>> Fix permissions and rebuild cache with your favorite utility <<<<<

-The clover patch, “Asus AICPUMP kernel patch“ is now redundant. So deselect it in clover.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.  

58 minutes ago, capnspunky said:

Ive made it to near the end of the guide ( working fine, but the cpus seem to be running really warm.  They are all hovering around 60c but presumably, this last power management step will help with that.  I am at a loss as to how to do this step or what utility I should use.  Assuming I find the right utility how should I fix the permissions?   I will save the file most likely initially to the desktop if someone could help me out with commands: 

– One last step, Download and install the 10.11 X79PlatformPlugin.kext of the link. (or from my stuff) to S/L/E , with your favorite utility. (It works for 10.12, of course)

-That’s all. Ignore step 4 and step 5 from the link.

IMPORTANT >>>>> Fix permissions and rebuild cache with your favorite utility <<<<<

-The clover patch, “Asus AICPUMP kernel patch“ is now redundant. So deselect it in clover.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.  

Kext wizard by itself is everything You need.

https://mac.softpedia.com/get/Utilities/Kext-Wizard.shtml

https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/31741/permissions-reset

Edited by amadeusex

Awesome thanks.  I think I may have made it past that part.  If you could help with the final step that would be sweet.  What is It Im supposed to do here?  Am I supposed to be editing the ssdtPRGen.sh file ? 

As I said, with last clover’s versions, the SSDT with the ACPI Processor declarations is now well defined. So pike’s script no returns the error “No ACPI Processor declarations found in the DSDT!”. The step to fix this, to copy the ssdt code to DSDT now is not necessary.

30- The Pike’s script has changed from the days of El Cap’s guide: There is an important argument with a different syntax.

The script is now (for me).

./ssdtPRGen.sh -p 'E5-2690 v2' -b Mac-F60DEB81FF30ACF6 -c 3 -x 1 -cpus 2 -l 40

The argument -w is now -c. Silly, but with the corruption of the script, this almost drives me crazy to figure out. With the old argument, the script gave me a KP)

You have to adapt the -p cpu model, (open Ivybridge or Sandybridge cfg file into ssdtPRGen folder to find the right syntax of the model), and the right -cpus (cpu numbers, 1 or 2) and -l (the number of cores). c is for a “workaround” to generate the script. For me, if it’s not “3” I get a KP. And x (xcpm) is 1 for our platform, but I’m not sure 100%

I appreciate the link to that page,  but I  for me atleast its not helpful.  That seems to be if you have an issue with the acpi.  I cant even get to that point because Im not sure what I need to do.  The guide seems to imply that I have to create something out of that ssdtPRGen.ah file, but I dont know if Im supposed to edit it in something to put my settings in via a text editor or what the next steps are.  

Edited by capnspunky

11 hours ago, capnspunky said:

I appreciate the link to that page,  but I  for me atleast its not helpful.  That seems to be if you have an issue with the acpi.  I cant even get to that point because Im not sure what I need to do.  The guide seems to imply that I have to create something out of that ssdtPRGen.ah file, but I dont know if Im supposed to edit it in something to put my settings in via a text editor or what the next steps are.  

In case of general confusion about the procedure involved to get power management going i suggest to read the instructions again carefully - they are pretty well written and easy to follow.

It's easy to overlook/skip some important step in the process.

• Like 1

I guess for me they werent very straight forward, but Im kind of new to all of this.  It doesnt matter now anyway, because apparently I made a setting change that killed it.  Now I get the joy of starting over and doing this all again lol.  I tried to boot into safe mode, but its still failing, so whatever I did wasnt liked.  I was just hoping you could have given me the starting off point to the script, and then I assumed I could have maybe figured it out from there.  Maybe its straight forward, but if so Im just missing it ;)

Ok, I have made it back to the point where I jacked up the system last time.  This time I think I have a better understanding of what I have to do at the power management step.  Prior to running the script though, I thought I would run it by you guys to see if you think it looks kosher. 

My specs are:  E5-2620 v1 ( I presume its 2.0ghz so I think its v1)  12 cores.  

If someone wouldnt mind peaking at the script below prior to me attempting it I would appreciate it!!

Proposed script: 

./ssdtPRGen.sh -p E5-2620 v1 -b Mac-F60DEB81FF30ACF6 -c 3 -x 1 -cpus 2 -l 12

Looks like I finally got it.  I guess doing everything over again worked.  Thanks for the guide Bilbo.   My geekbench looks low compared to yours, but probably just processor speed.  Im happy that everything is working now.  *edit - the sound went away for some reason but I will look back into that 

Edited by capnspunky

Does anyone succeed update to high sierra and work stable as sierra. It is time to upgrade to high sierra, since the new version 10.14 will be released soon.

Also, I am planning to upgrade nvme ssd(like samsung 970 evo). Since z820 motherboard does not natively support nvme ssd, I planed to install it with PCIE adapter. Anyone tried that before, I am not sure whether I can boot with nvme ssd.

12 minutes ago, ho520726 said:

Does anyone succeed update to high sierra and work stable as sierra. It is time to upgrade to high sierra, since the new version 10.14 will be released soon.

Also, I am planning to upgrade nvme ssd(like samsung 970 evo). Since z820 motherboard does not natively support nvme ssd, I planed to install it with PCIE adapter. Anyone tried that before, I am not sure whether I can boot with nvme ssd.

Hello!

My actual setup is really similar to your desired one: Z620, 2 x E5-2670 (v1), High Sierra (installed from scratch), NVMe SSD on a PCIe adapter (960 Pro 512 GB) and a SATA HDD (WD Black 3 TB) for slow datsa storage.

The trick is to install Clover on the SATA HDD and let it boot from there.

Here's a list of my CLOVER folder with drivers and kext expanded:

image.thumb.png.e6a55e697b04b159f9caccac4c781a83.png

Just follow this guide and you'll be able to install High Sierra without problems, IMHO reinstalling from scratch is the best solution for a major macOS upgrade. As always, be careful with updates!

I've noticed that, in case of BSOD on boot after an update (e.g. 10.13.5 to 10.13.6), I have to drop the generated SSDT during boot (losing PM) and recreate it.

Happy Hackintoshing!

AC

Edited by antonio.clb

15 hours ago, antonio.clb said:

Hello!

My actual setup is really similar to your desired one: Z620, 2 x E5-2670 (v1), High Sierra (installed from scratch), NVMe SSD on a PCIe adapter (960 Pro 512 GB) and a SATA HDD (WD Black 3 TB) for slow datsa storage.

The trick is to install Clover on the SATA HDD and let it boot from there.

Here's a list of my CLOVER folder with drivers and kext expanded:

image.thumb.png.e6a55e697b04b159f9caccac4c781a83.png

Just follow this guide and you'll be able to install High Sierra without problems, IMHO reinstalling from scratch is the best solution for a major macOS upgrade. As always, be careful with updates!

I've noticed that, in case of BSOD on boot after an update (e.g. 10.13.5 to 10.13.6), I have to drop the generated SSDT during boot (losing PM) and recreate it.

Happy Hackintoshing!

AC

Please if u can upload all clover files :)

( for z620 )

Thanx!

9 hours ago, adiif1 said:

Please if u can upload all clover files :)

( for z620 )

Thanx!

Hello!

Attached you can find my CLOVER v4617 folder in ZIP format. I've regenerated both serial number and board serial number with Clover Configurator, feel free to use it as is!

Let me know about your progress in this quest!

Best regards.

AC

CLOVER_v4617_Z620_20180905.zip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/16/2018 at 6:34 PM, nulluserid said:

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has had any luck with the the 26xx cpu's? I see there is a special call out about them, but not information on how to deal with them? 

My system has two, and am wondering if I should even bother trying this? (First Hackintosh). 

If anyone has any pointers or comments, that'd be great. 

FWIW I have two 2697v2's

Maybe this will help...

When I issue a shutdown in OSX (to turn off the computer purposely), the Z820 shuts down fully, but then turns back on again, and boot up. Do you guys have this issue? Could it be the BIOS setting. I looked all over.

Edited by Dr Droid