ATI mobility X1300/X1400 -only

weichen

153 posts in this topic

I have a ATI X1400 running on a Dell 1505 / 6400 laptop, my screen is 1680 x 1050 pixels, I haven't been able to run a resolution higher than 1400 x 1050, no 3D acceleration, OpenGL doesn't work.

Hasn't anybody been able to port ATI Linux driver into Mac? As far as I know Leopard is based on BSD, in theory a driver working for BSD or FreeBSD should work on Leo.

Can u pls tell me how did u manage to run 1400x1050 resolution pls??

I just want 1280x800 but i cant find an way to run it...

Why is so hard writing some drivers for X1300/x1400?

What exactly have to be done?

Are there any differences between mobility and desktop versions?

Why the X1600 solutions doesn't work?

Is it possible to upgrade the firmware of X1300/x1400 to X1600? Or at least to change the ID of the card to match one of the x1600 series.

The fact that no one has figured out how to get full support for the x13/1400 in the last two years says to me that anyone still trying ought to probably just purchase and install a graphics card that is compatible.

The fact that no one has figured out how to get full support for the x13/1400 in the last two years says to me that anyone still trying ought to probably just purchase and install a graphics card that is compatible.

It's called a "mobility" card, because it's used in laptops.

And I guess it isn't really an option for most of us to change the graphics card in our laptops.

x1400 mobility is also my problem. I tried to learn IOKit but still has many problems when start to write a framebuffer driver based on linux radeonHD source code as you have no idea what should be set correctly in mac environment. At the moment, I succeeded in reading LVDS EDID and making available resolutions shown in display preference. Nothing beyond that yet. Anybody have an interest can test this kext to see if the same limited things work or not.RadeonHD.kext.zipTo test, put it in /System/Library/Extensions/ and repair ownership. If it does anything wrong, boot with -s and remove it.

At the moment, I succeeded in reading LVDS EDID and making available resolutions shown in display preference. Nothing beyond that yet.

Are you able to change resolution or does your screen mess up? In this case it happened also with Callisto.

Identifying resolutions is a start. All I can think of is having some mask over the LVDS to identify it as an external monitor and a translator in the backend that would convert the analog signal into an LVDS signal.

But that's just me.

x1400 mobility is also my problem. I tried to learn IOKit but still has many problems when start to write a framebuffer driver based on linux radeonHD source code as you have no idea what should be set correctly in mac environment. At the moment, I succeeded in reading LVDS EDID and making available resolutions shown in display preference. Nothing beyond that yet. Anybody have an interest can test this kext to see if the same limited things work or not.RadeonHD.kext.zipTo test, put it in /System/Library/Extensions/ and repair ownership. If it does anything wrong, boot with -s and remove it.

sorry I'm a noob. so I successfully installed 10.5.2 using the latest Kalyway. I have the ATI Radeon x1400 mobility video card. I went back to windows bc I couldnt get any of the video drivers on the install disc to work (although I was able to get a clear picture if I didnt install any).

If I use the kext above what will it do for me? How do I install it. Im an ultra noob so dont skip any baby steps.

Also I was unsure on what kernal to use, whats the best, performance wise?

> Mainboard : Acer, Inc. Bodensee

> Chipset : Intel i945PM

> Processor : Intel Core Duo T2300 @ 1666 MHz

> Physical Memory : 2048 MB (2 x 1024 DDR2-SDRAM )

> Video Card : ATI Mobility Radeon X1400

> Hard Disk : TOSHIBA (120 GB)

> DVD-Rom Drive : MAT{censored}A DVD-RAM UJ-845S

> Monitor Type : QUANTADISPLAY - 15 inches

> Network Card : Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG

> Network Card : Broadcom Corp BCM5789 NetLink Gigabit Ethernet

> Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.01.2600 Service Pack 2

> DirectX : Version 9.0c (July 2007)

• 2 weeks later...

well after doing a lot of research on the ati x1400 it seems that entering the device id in the kext file while under Leopard will not work to enable QE/CI and the forced display will not go higher then 1152x864. So we will have to wait for a fix for us Leopard users. If anyone knows otherwise, please let us know. Currently running 10.5.3 on a dell 1505 and ATI X1400 installed.

• 2 weeks later...

Dong,

Great work! I have 1680x1050 resolution now with T60 8744-5BU ATI X1400. The mouse tearing is quite bad, like markings all over the screen. The preferences shows 1680x1050 as my only choice, and its being used, display isn't stretched. Best of luck to you in developing this, its promising to finally see 1680x1050 on a X1400.

I will likely have to run the regular X1400 driver until the tearing improves a bit, but would love to keep this on because of the correct resolution for my wide display.

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Hehe, interesting stuff, this X1400. :)

Ok, i just took my sisters lapy (Thinkpad T60 8743 CTR - Radeon X1400 - 1680x1050) installed Leo 10.5.4 and played around a bit. I got it managed to get 1680x1050x32 with QE/CI and resolution change "ON A EXTERNAL DISPLAY" without mouse artifacts and also without Natit, ATIinject or any other injecting kexties. So this just tells me it must be possible to get it running on the intertnal LCD, i just don't know how to manage it, yet. Eather it can be made with a hardware hack or a soft patch.

Jurek hit the nail on the head. It doesn't matter what you do with what's available, changing resolutions with the x1400 on the internal LCD is just not possible. You can't support a function that doesn't and will never exist in OSX Leopard for this video card. It works for external displays, and external displays only.

Unless you work for Apple and want to release the source illegally, we're left in the dark without a light switch.

This can't be true, there's allways a solution, we just need to find it. I'm atleast glad that card is fully supported, well... just no internal LCD (YET! :dev: ).

Archangel

I just recently upgraded my laptop. I sold the D520 for an E1705 with, you guessed it, an ATi Mobility Radeon X1400!!!

Yay! Then, I read that full CI/QE support (with mouse artifacts) and no resolution change is only possible on JaS 10.4.8 and Uphuck 10.4.9. Of course, everyone with an E1505/1705 has seen that guide, so I'm sure you've all seen that already. (devilhoods guide.)

If you are an ATI X1400 Mobility user, you currently only have the choice to enable limited Resolution change, QE/CI in 10.4.8 and 10.4.9:

Firstly, load up Terminal (Applications/Utilities/) from within OS X, then type:

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX1000.kext/Contents/info.plist

Scroll down to where it says <key>IOPCIMatch</key> and replace the <string></string> section so that it looks like this:

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>

<string>0x71451002</string>

Press CTRL+O and then Enter to save the file, after which you can safely close the session by pressing CTRL+X.

Next step is to set permissions and rebuild the kextcache

sudo -s

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX1000.kext

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX1000.kext

rm -r /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

rm -r /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

To set your maximum screen resolution (this is entirely dependant on what screen you have):

WXGA supports a maximum of 1280x800

SXGA+ supports a maximum of 1400x1050

WXGA+ supports a maximum of 1440x900

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

Add this new section and change the screen resolution according to the panel type:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1400x1050x32</string>

Now when you restart your system, you should have QE/CI enabled with the resolution automatically set.

You can also manually set the refresh rate to 60 Hz: 1400x1050x32@60 but this isn't recommended because it can cause a garbled display or hang the boot process.

Unfortunately you will not be able to set a higher resolution than 1400x1050 until DiaboliK or someone releases a dedicated kext to utilize the full features of this card.

I've gone ahead and done all that, with limited results. CI/QE does indeed work, but my resolution won't hit my maximum. (WXGA, res only hits 1024x768)

I'm not about to beg someone to sit around and write a driver for this card. I hate beggers. I will however work with someone to help get this thing on the roll. We all have the {censored} card, so between all of us, we should be able to get something going. (I have no experience coding in anything other than Visual Basic. I'm a network administrator, not a coder.)

Hey folks,

I need some help with getting QE/CI support on my x1300 mobility. I've followed the example for adding the string value ID+Vender to the IOPCIMatch key. I've also fix permissions, but I'm still not getting kext loaded. The odd thing is when I ran this: rm -r /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache it said that the file or direcotry did not exist, I've also tried booting with the -f to no avail.

Ok I just rebooted again this morning and the changes finally toke, I now have QE/CI.

Hi FishYaker, is that working on the LCD or only external display?

If on the LCD could you please post the steps as I have a T60 with the same X1300.

Thanks

Russ