ATI mobility X1300/X1400 -only

weichen

153 posts in this topic

I myself tried this, along with backing up every file I replaced. Seems to load normally, but something came up with the loginwindow application that crashes it. It may be that my loginwindow application wasn't backed up and replaced by the 10.4.9 combo update I had, I'm not sure, but I do know that it doesn't work for my X1400.

• 4 months later...

Really, there's going to be no solution at all unless someone is smart enough to implement LVDS detection for the Caretta driver in the ATInject kernel extension.

The Wormy driver is the only driver that has this capability of LVDS detection, which is the function that detects a laptop's internal LCD screen. However, that only works for the X1600 models and up. It has no backwards compatibility, otherwise, this problem would have been solved by now.

If anyone wants to try that, go ahead. I'd love to see something more than a stretched 1024x768 on my Tablet PC.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

the only thing i managed to obtain tryin different solutions and both the toh and brazilmac distros is that i'm still stuck with no widescreen ( 1024x768 max9 and minor mouse tearing...). X1400 is a damnation...ATI IS A DAMNATION and not only for osx86 users..................

3d acceleration works fine though =) oh dear..eheheh

has anyone ever thought of combining code from different drivers?

i personally have everything "working" by editing the ATIRadeonX1000 kext.

but i think since there is a X1300 kext out there, why not add in the LDVS detection from another kext?

just sounds reasonable.

of course, i dunno much about coding. jsut a thought though.

has anyone ever thought of combining code from different drivers?

i personally have everything "working" by editing the ATIRadeonX1000 kext.

but i think since there is a X1300 kext out there, why not add in the LDVS detection from another kext?

just sounds reasonable.

of course, i dunno much about coding. jsut a thought though.

Perhaps, but that requires the source code of the ATY_* drivers, none of which I've been able to find. Otherwise, I'd have tried for the LVDS implementation myself.

Perhaps, but that requires the source code of the ATY_* drivers, none of which I've been able to find. Otherwise, I'd have tried for the LVDS implementation myself.

Your signature says that you have x1400 fully functional with NatitX1300.kext? Is this true?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm really pleased with x1400 working after editing ATIRadeonX1000.

Quartz & CI enabled, mouse locator cures tearing, but:

1) no any screen saver working

2) can't start windows under parallels - parallels window begin to glitch... but as I guess windows stars under it, but could not be shown in that window due to graphic card errors...

screen saver is not a true problem, but parallels is...

any1 managed to run XP under it (or may be VMWare), while using x1400?

Crossover does not help, because I offten need Microsoft Visual Studio...

Another dissapointed gateway osx86 user. Followed every guide on the internet and cannot force 1280x768x32 res. Enabled quartz with artifacting. Currently using gateway cx210x. No sound, no wireless, no power management. None of this bothers me until I can get the resolution to change to be correct as I cannot stand 1024x768 default. I have tried just about everything but cannot get resolution to be forced with x1400...if anyone can get this working properly I would gladly donate 20$ to their paypal account for their efforts. My email is 87boosted@gmail.com if anyone gets this working properly or can explain to me how to force the resolution...

• 3 weeks later...
Your signature says that you have x1400 fully functional with NatitX1300.kext? Is this true?

The card is fully functional to the extent of the Caretta drivers, which doesn't do much. You'll notice I put my LCD screen in there under partial support, seeing that it only has VESA mode.

This is perhaps a dumb question, but I am wondering whether one could extrapolate from Linux solutions to ATI problems. I currently have XP and Ubuntu and I had to fiddle quite a bit to get my x1400 to work at 1680x1050 under the latter. Previously, I had a ATI 200M, which caused even more problems. What makes the OSX case vastly different from Linux? I know there are additional layers in OSX, but does the driver interact with the operating system at these levels rather than the base Unix level?

I have been following the thread for a while. Thanks to everyone who advanced the debate.

Darwin is Unix, not Linux. The way that a Linux kernel and Darwin kernel handle drivers are different (Darwin using kernel extensions).

To fiddle with the Caretta driver is to pretty much rewrite it, as you can't put in any values into the plist to enable an LVDS feature it doesn't have.

one little update here...

i didnt use my leopard on the dell inspiron 6400(x1300 mobility) for a month or so.

in this time i think i did a bios update which does now a nice trick :-)

after i booted up into leopard now my screen is stretched to fit the screen. its still 1024x768 BUT there are no black bars on both sides ;-)

Anybody has the ability and interest can try to port the linux driver RaedonHD to OSX. The major work should be figuring out how to replace the xf86 functions with IOKit stuff. As read and write to display via i2c is not very clear for ATI card, we may not be able to fulfill this part of function, but the possibility of porting the resolution switch part should be large.