Marvell (Aquantia) 10 Gb Ethernet support thread

d5aqoep
498 posts in this topic

I can if you tell me how to. I received card today. I report that it did not work OOB. 😄

Also, wouldn't the chip be the Tehuti 4010? Er no? It is definitely Marvell though

After some research i am about 73% certain that this Trendnet has the same guts as the startech card here below

https://www.startech.com/en-us/networking-io/st10000spex

I have a solid lukewarm feeling that this was supported back for like 10.13 but not much further.

Edited by dovedescent7

14 hours ago, dovedescent7 said:

I can if you tell me how to. I received card today. I report that it did not work OOB. 😄

If you may start with Clover then press F2 in Clover GUI and then search for a file /EFI/CLOVER/misc/preboot.log

It contains enough information.

If you may start Windows then open Device Manager and search for compatible ID for this device.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2022 at 9:14 AM, badbrain said:

@dovedescent7 What happens when you load the attached kext, via your bootloader?

tn40xx.kext.zip 547.82 kB · 1 download

On 5/7/2022 at 2:41 PM, Slice said:

If you may start with Clover then press F2 in Clover GUI and then search for a file /EFI/CLOVER/misc/preboot.log

It contains enough information.

If you may start Windows then open Device Manager and search for compatible ID for this device.

So I Have the lastest opencore. i dont use clover. Can you tell me how to use this kext in opencore?

Another BIG question.. (since i cant find where to "search this thread")

• My friend said he would give me a great deal TODAY on a TP-link TX401 as listed in OP, but i cannot find ANYWHERE that says this works with ANY hackintosh! AND there are no Mac os Drivers for this on TP-link website!  
  • Why would OP list this as a card that is compatible if it is not? 
  • Is there a driver i could use for the tp-link tx401?
  • Does anyone know of anyone that has gotten the TPlink tx401 to work with big sur or Monterey?

@dovedescent7With OC 0.8.0 all u need to do is tick a box mentioning aquantia under kernel quirks. Make sure VT-d is enabled in BIOS. If you still have problems after this, try toggling DisableIoMapper.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/15/2022 at 12:02 PM, i0ntempest said:

@dovedescent7With OC 0.8.0 all u need to do is tick a box mentioning aquantia under kernel quirks. Make sure VT-d is enabled in BIOS. If you still have problems after this, try toggling DisableIoMapper.

ok thank you. so, i got mavericks installed with either   oc. 8 or like. 79 problem is i didnt it so long ago, and so infrequently, i dont know the steps on how to do what youre saying. could you pretty please give me the steps on what to do like in propertree and oc to accomplish this? ive had this card like a month now, and feel  like its a tall task to get this done. Would you please give me steps on this? Please? 

36 minutes ago, dovedescent7 said:

ok thank you. so, i got mavericks installed with either   oc. 8 or like. 79 problem is i didnt it so long ago, and so infrequently, i dont know the steps on how to do what youre saying. could you pretty please give me the steps on what to do like in propertree and oc to accomplish this? ive had this card like a month now, and feel  like its a tall task to get this done. Would you please give me steps on this? Please? 

... Mavericks? That's never gonna work, AQC107 does not even exist when that version was released.

8 minutes ago, i0ntempest said:

... Mavericks? That's never gonna work, AQC107 does not even exist when that version was released.

Did i say mavericks? Im sorry i meant Monterey the newest.  i've  been driving a bus all day with loud kids, in 98 degree heat and no AC on the bus, with walking pneumonia. Sorry

p.s. i have this aqc 107 card hope it works?

image.thumb.png.ae7f58cde1fcf7f35e036056620f3aca.png

Edited by dovedescent7

4 minutes ago, dovedescent7 said:

Did i say mavericks? Im sorry i meant Monterey the newest.  i've  been driving a bus all day with loud kids, in 98 degree heat and no AC on the bus, with walking pneumonia. Sorry

K, first you want to update OC to 0.8 if you're running anything lower than that. Then you do these:

1. OC Configurator, under Kernel section, Quirks panel, tick ForceAquantiaEthernet. Reboot, see if the card is working, if not continue.

2. Go to your BIOS, find VT-d and enable it. Reboot, see if the card is working, if not continue.

3. OC Configurator, under Kernel section, Quirks panel, try toggling DisableIoMapper, that is check it if it's not checked or uncheck it if it's checked. Reboot and observe.

If you still have problem after these the most likely it's a problem specific to you system.

Real quick,

I dont recall if im on .8 or .79 or whatever..

Can i find that out which opencore i used in my usb ? WHere? How?

Secondly i read that Monterey breaks aquantia and needs pacthing.. Is this true?

And can OC configurator be used on windows?

Edited by dovedescent7

13 minutes ago, dovedescent7 said:

Real quick,

I dont recall if im on .8 or .79 or whatever..

Can i find that out which opencore i used in my usb ? WHere? How?

Secondly i read that Monterey breaks aquantia and needs pacthing.. Is this true?

And can OC configurator be used on windows?

Bottom right of opencore boot picker has the version

The quirks are exactly those patches aggregated

OC configurator is macOS only

29 minutes ago, i0ntempest said:

Bottom right of opencore boot picker has the version

The quirks are exactly those patches aggregated

OC configurator is macOS only

ok got oc configurator in mac  and it appears from here that i have .8 see below image.

all i did is point to my config plist on usb, then check that aquantia box, then hit save, is this correct? thats what i did, also enabled vt in bios

Im assuming i am editing the config plist on the flash (installer) drive? Then once i check the quirk in kernel for aquantia do i reinstall from usb?

Im not understanding the concepts.  when i reboot to i boot from usb? do i boot from usb or my opencore install on ssd?

image.thumb.png.9a7e736107510bc9179247d1358caf67.png

Edited by dovedescent7

yes i have internal efi, no i dont need usb to boot.

Sorry i should have explained, that you would need to be VERY detailed with me, ive only did this once, though successful.

If you could put you kid gloves on with me that would be great.

So i assume i have to do this with my internal efi... What do i use to mount internal efi?

And with oc configurator, is it like propertree where i need to point to config.plist AND OC folder?? OR just point to efi then config plist, make changes, then hit save?

Edited by dovedescent7

Then you should boot from and edit that, assuming it is also 0.8. If not, you edit the EFI on your flash drive, boot from it, once you confirm everything is working you should copy your external EFI folder in to your internal ESP and replace that EFI folder.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, i0ntempest said:

Then you should boot from and edit that, assuming it is also 0.8. If not, you edit the EFI on your flash drive, boot from it, once you confirm everything is working you should copy your external EFI folder in to your internal ESP and replace that EFI folder.

OMG YOU ARE AWESOME!!!!!  You fixed it!  Now all i have to do is get this direct connected to my synologies 10gbe port. Ive configiured on synology side to connect to the mac.

But when i put in address in mac under go>server it just keeps spinning. Its the correct address. Why cant i connect to my nas 10gbe port!

image.thumb.png.271c9c4fd59c5c4fad082819623cc320.png

14 hours ago, i0ntempest said:

Try connecting from the 10GbE port to your router, see if you get an IP. If you only get a 169.254 address, continue from step 2.

Yeah so I've done all the steps, and i dont think those are the issue. I Did toggle the DIsableIoMap thing too. 

I'm 99% sure the IP addresses and network settings are wrong for the 10Gbe, because i don't know what to set them too. (i know how to in windows, but not mac I'm not a mac guy, and im told that for 10Gbe direct connect with Mac, the settings are different then if it were windows.

If the card weren't working i'm assuming i wouldnt see the adapter showing as green, and wouldn't see anything for addresses like in the below image. Also since i changed the kernel settings in OC Config, the light is now on, on the 10Gbe Card.

Could someone provide me the correct network settings/addresses for the 10Gbe Direct connect on Mac and My Synology please?

syno.PNG

Edited by dovedescent7

25 minutes ago, dovedescent7 said:

Could someone provide me the correct network settings/addresses for the 10Gbe Direct connect on Mac and My Synology please?

Off-topicish, but there's not really a difference between IP settings across different platforms other than where the screens are.  Assuming you want to use the network 192.168.54.0/30 (192.168.54.1 for the Synology and 192.168.54.2 for the Mac), you would configure the Mac to look something like this:

image.png.6b02cc543d8d9fd41b0858a80458703e.png

Note: You do not want to add a "Router" setting or alter anything else.  Conversely, the Synology would be configured with 192.168.54.1 255.255.255.252.

Hope that helps!

Edited by roddie

36 minutes ago, roddie said:

Off-topicish, but there's not really a difference between IP settings across different platforms other than where the screens are.  Assuming you want to use the network 192.168.54.0/30 (192.168.54.1 for the Synology and 192.168.54.2 for the Mac), you would configure the Mac to look something like this:

image.png.6b02cc543d8d9fd41b0858a80458703e.png

Note: You do not want to add a "Router" setting or alter anything else.  Conversely, the Synology would be configured with 192.168.54.1 255.255.255.252.

Hope that helps!

Awesome, ok i put these settings in.. What next?   Do i simply go to GO>CONNECT TO SERVER  on the mac?

Just now, dovedescent7 said:

Awesome, ok i put these settings in.. What next?   Do i simply go to GO>CONNECT TO SERVER  on the mac?

Best idea is to try to ping the Synology's IP address to see if your configuration is good, then you can try to connect with Finder.  One thing I forgot to mention that might not be obvious, is that the network you use between the two devices needs to be different than your general network so that there are no conflicts.  So if you're using 192.168.1.0/24 in your regular network, 192.168.54.0/30 is safe to use.

11 minutes ago, roddie said:

Best idea is to try to ping the Synology's IP address to see if your configuration is good, then you can try to connect with Finder.  One thing I forgot to mention that might not be obvious, is that the network you use between the two devices needs to be different than your general network so that there are no conflicts.  So if you're using 192.168.1.0/24 in your regular network, 192.168.54.0/30 is safe to use.

I used your settings and it works! SUCCESS!!!  I'll have to tweak some things because the max from Synology is 450MB/s but that's a feat in itself! Transferred a 60GB video in 2 minutes from nas to mac.

So can we update the OP now to show that the Trendnet card is now tested?? (image below)

Man im SO GRATEFUL FOR YOUR HELP!!! Thanks a million..

FINAL question i swear..   Do you think that toggling the DIsableIoMapper thing could possibly make this connection even faster?

The reason i wonder is because from this nas i get 1GB/s to windows.

And the mac im using has a fast nvme ssd, the nas has all ssd's in raid 0, technically should be faster but....

Any ideas on how to improve these network transfer speeds?

image.thumb.png.0eeebf787bced05448512b04f65b5e03.png

Oh and PS transfer FROM mac TO the Synology im getting 1GB/s 

image.png.a0d51dad28a469254d140958636bf533.png

Edited by dovedescent7

3 hours ago, dovedescent7 said:

I used your settings and it works! SUCCESS!!!  I'll have to tweak some things because the max from Synology is 450MB/s but that's a feat in itself! Transferred a 60GB video in 2 minutes from nas to mac.

So can we update the OP now to show that the Trendnet card is now tested?? (image below)

Man im SO GRATEFUL FOR YOUR HELP!!! Thanks a million..

FINAL question i swear..   Do you think that toggling the DIsableIoMapper thing could possibly make this connection even faster?

The reason i wonder is because from this nas i get 1GB/s to windows.

And the mac im using has a fast nvme ssd, the nas has all ssd's in raid 0, technically should be faster but....

Any ideas on how to improve these network transfer speeds?

image.thumb.png.0eeebf787bced05448512b04f65b5e03.png

Glad you got it working!  3.6Gb/s on a point-to-point connection isn't actually bad for a 10Gb/s NIC on a PC.

There are a few factors that can impact throughput (protocol, cable quality, CPU on either side, network card quality, MTU, drivers, software, etc.) and it's really hard to guess where improvements could be made.  An obvious one for me as a networking person is to try to set the MTU on both sides to something higher than the default of 1500 (9000 is a standardish setting), but both NICs need to support it and you need to make them match.  Also, a good way to measure throughput is to use a tool like IPERF that can run on both devices.

As for EFI/Mac-specific tweaks, I'll let the smart folks in this thread comment - I'm just a dumb network guy who generally just follow the guides here 🙂