Tracing back the AMD GPU wakeup issue to its origin

Mieze
368 posts in this topic

@cyberdevs

there is a thread around about patching old gpu bios with an uefi addition.

Yes I know about that. I'm not talking about the GPU BIOS. What I'm saying is that the Legacy BIOS on the mainboard is the problem.

P.S.

This mainboard is ancient :D (GA-EP45-DS3R)

@cyberdevs

Didn't look at your signature until now.

My advice would be to upgrade to a newer board mainly due to your DDR really limiting your 7790 in any case. If that is practical for you, that is.

I upgraded my rig from DDR3 1600 to 2133 and there is a definite gain. My 390 was definitely bootle necked by the RAM-CPU bandwidth. In your case it would be quite "magical";)

@cyberdevs

Didn't look at your signature until now.

My advice would be to upgrade to a newer board mainly due to your DDR really limiting your 7790 in any case. If that is practical for you, that is.

I upgraded my rig from DDR3 1600 to 2133 and there is a definite gain. My 390 was definitely bootle necked by the RAM-CPU bandwidth. In your case it would be quite "magical";)

Yeah, I plan to do an upgrade as soon as the Coffee Lake gets the proper support in macOS, but in the meanwhile I'll be playing with that old rig just to see if I can get it to work or not.

Yes I know about that. I'm not talking about the GPU BIOS. What I'm saying is that the Legacy BIOS on the mainboard is the problem.

P.S.

This mainboard is ancient :D (GA-EP45-DS3R)

This means that you are definitely in the wrong thread because my patch doesn't apply to your problem. It solves exactly one problem but it's far away from being a cure-all medicine for all GPU related problems.

Mieze

Edited by Mieze
  • Like 1

This means that you are definitely in the wrong thread because my patch doesn't apply to your problem.

Mieze

Thanks for clearing that up and with all due respect I already asked the question in post #19 but you never answered. :blush:

Thanks for clearing that up and with all due respect I already asked the question in post #19 but you never answered. :blush:

I'm sorry but I must have overlooked that post. Too much work... :(

Mieze

• Like 3

I'm sorry but I must have overlooked that post. Too much work... :(

Mieze

No worries :)

I know how busy you guys are with your life and work and regardless you take the time to improve our lives and give us joy with our hackintoshes, and I am personally thankful to all of you guys for the great job that you are doing for this great community. 

I was just curious to know if there's another solution for that problem, It's not a big deal because I don't use that PC that much. 

• Like 3

@Mieze and/or IM in general:

Is there a way to have something like approved solutions tags in a thread linking to the specific posts and/or file on the top or bottom?

Like:

7790 SSDT
R9 390 SSDT
RX580 SSDT

etc.?

And +1000 for cyberdevs comment: You guys/gals rock! :thumbsup_anim:

EDIT:

I am thinking of a programmatic solution where this stuff is added if the OP or a MOD sees a worthy post and can just tag it and it will be highlighted. Not some poor soul doing that by hand.

• Like 3

@Mieze and/or IM in general:

Is there a way to have something like approved solutions tags in a thread linking to the specific posts and/or file on the top or bottom?

Like:

7790 SSDT
R9 390 SSDT
RX580 SSDT
etc.?

And +1000 for cyberdevs comment: You guys/gals rock! :thumbsup_anim:

EDIT:

I am thinking of a programmatic solution where this stuff is added if the OP or a MOD sees a worthy post and can just tag it and it will be highlighted. Not some poor soul doing that by hand.

+1 for creating a depository for AMD SSDTs for specific cards, it’s a great idea.

• Like 4

No worries :)

I know how busy you guys are with your life and work and regardless you take the time to improve our lives and give us joy with our hackintoshes, and I am personally thankful to all of you guys for the great job that you are doing for this great community. 

I was just curious to know if there's another solution for that problem, It's not a big deal because I don't use that PC that much. 

Ya, I have the same blank screen issue in old ASUS P5Q PRO MB with AMD Radeon HD 5770 or 6870 GPU at High Sierra only.

At Sierra there is no such an issue at all.

Rollback with 10.12.6's 4 AMD-related kexts got display with 7 MB RAM (No QE/CI functions).

Hope someone can find a solution for this issue.

• Like 2

+1 for creating a depository for AMD SSDTs for specific cards, it’s a great idea.

Bad idea.

This SSDT-AMD is not for specific card. It is for specific DSDT.

Ya, I have the same blank screen issue in old ASUS P5Q PRO MB with AMD Radeon HD 5770 or 6870 GPU at High Sierra only.

At Sierra there is no such an issue at all.

Rollback with 10.12.6's 4 AMD-related kexts got display with 7 MB RAM (No QE/CI functions).

Hope someone can find a solution for this issue.

Not related to this topic.

Bad idea.

What I mean by card specific is the card ID or proper naming edited into it.    Will this work or do we need to generate our own individual card naming edit for each user?

@Mieze and @Slice thank you so much for your work, i just want to report that my sapphire r9 290x is working great (sleep, wake, full acceleration) with just SSDT-AMD.aml in ACPI/patched. High Sierra 10.13.1

post-598874-0-59358000-1510228173_thumb.png

@Mieze and @Slice thank you so much for your work, i just want to report that my sapphire r9 290x is working great (sleep, wake, full acceleration) with just SSDT-AMD.aml in ACPI/patched. High Sierra 10.13.1

@Pabloesc

without additional kexts or without rollback to (lower) Sierra kexts??

• Like 1

Plz explain ur process .......

if i injectATI = ioscreengotlocked 

If i don't injectATI then 4mb Vram.

Plz explain ur process .......

if i injectATI = ioscreengotlocked

If i don't injectATI then 4mb Vram.

Do you have the same configuration as in my signature? I didn't do anything special related to gpu, just using latest clover. Check what bios is in your gpu (legacy/UEFI)

Bad idea.

Not related to this topic.

How is this a bad idea? Having a repo of different SSDT/DSDT settings for different types of AMD GPUs is exactly what is needed. The GPU section of both are generally the same.
  • Like 3