Asus P5W DH Deluxe thread for JAS 10.4.8

622 posts in this topic

there should be a jumper on the mainboard for bios reset......you could also take out the battery for a while. to find what´s wrong take everything out what´s not necessary to start:

try only one ram after the other..... one hardisk....have a look what happens.if it still doesn´t start, your cpu could be damaged - intel´s recommended cpu temperature limit for the q6600 (B3 stepping) is around 62°C (G0 stepping might be a little bit higher) :P

Tried to disconnect everything step by step (HD, RAM, Fans etc.) - but it didn't powered up till i disconnected the IDE cable of the DVD Drive. Now only the mainboard LED is working nothing else.

I didn't mentioned that in the posting before: i also was not able to shut it down with the power button. My last hope is that the power button itself has a problem and that this failure is now completely . But if so why could i turn it on since the error occured?

Last thing i did when the computer worked fine was pushing the power button because of the kernel panik during shutdown after i exchanged the kernel.

did exactly what you wrote to install the kernel - repaired permissions and rebooted.

during shutdown of the system kernel panik appeared. i pressed the power button and screen went black.

nothing happened - no bios screen came. pressed several times but no changes. then i pulled the plug and waited 30 seconds.

pluged power in again and pressed power button - light is burning and lamp on the motherboard, HD running but CPU fan and other fans are not running - black screen.

is there a way to reset the motherboard like on a real mac?

if not then i fear my new hackintosh didn't survived for much longer than 24 hours :o:unsure::unsure:

. . Hi, sorry to read this.

Looks like you've cooked your CPU: it is difficult to tell from your post whether you ran the thing without thermal compound; but with or without the reason appears likely to be that you've plugged a variable-speed aircooler [see this review] into one of the P5W-DH's fan headers, all of which by default also have 'Q-Fan' enabled, which varies header voltage according to onboard temperature measurement, which in turn depends on the motherboard having the correct firmware to correctly decode the temp signals from the CPU's onboard sensors.

. . so in short a variable-speed fansink [defaulting to running the thing as slow as possible] has been plugged into a header which also defaults to supplying the minimum possible voltage to get a fan running.

(FWIW the first thing I do on initial setup & after a BIOS update with this or similar mobos is to disable 'Q-Fan' for any headers with a low-speed or variable-speed device attached).

From the temperatures you have given, it looks likely that your 85~90W CPU was running at least 40C over local ambient [the temperature of the air inside your PC's enclosure]: this fits well with Frostytech's findings in the above link where they ran the CF-900 at its lowest fanspeed under this sort of load.

Are/were you running a sufficiently up-to-date firmware in the P5W-DH? - see this link & input: 'Motherboard' then S775, then your mobo model: you should be running 2205 (or later: current is 2302) with the revs of Q6600 currently on sale.

To check things out, try your Q6600 in another motherboard [with support for this CPU]. If it is dead you can *try* to return the CPU, if a boxed retail Q6600; but bear in mind Intel are rumoured to have an onboard sensor on their CPUs which can detect the more dramatic forms of abuse the thing may have suffered.

Yes i updated to the newest bios from the asus ftp.

Temperature of the CPU was 50°C when running windows without performing any hard tasks. Last things i did was surfing and installing the new kernel. Hard to belive that it overheated when it had 50° at normal tasks. I googled and found out that a lot of P5W DH Deluxe Boards had such problems.

I have a new Celeron D326 (533 MHz bus, Socket 775) at hand - does it work with the P5W DH? I've read that some people used this processor to flash their BIOS before they installed a core 2 duo - the P5W has a minimal bus clock of 800 so how can it work??

Well I moved the drive, I don't like it sitting there, but whatever. I am currently trying to install it right now. It complained about my cable not being 80 wires, so I need to replace that. I just replaced it and the bios shows that it in UDMA mode, and the install still says it not a 80 wire cable.

Tested it with another PSU - working!

Well, at least the fans are finally spinning now and i can shut it down with the power button!

I can't connect it to a screen because i have no power cable for the 8800GTS on this PSU.

I hope PSU failure didn't damaged something else.

i got a kernel panic too at my first try to install it

if you made 2 partitions on the HD make sure that both are primary

look in the bios if "max cpu id limit = off"

in the installer select:

the intel stuff

and

apple azalia in "most common hardware"

also make sure that your installer contains the Jas ICH7R patch - my install disk is named "Mac OS X 10.4.8 [JaS AMD-Intel-SSE2-SSE3 with PPF1].iso"

creation date of the image is "tuesday 27. march 2007 10:58" changed "wednesday 28. march 2007 01:03"

if you can boot into the installation then first thing you should do is to install:

"JaS.10.4.9.Combo.Update.Intel.SSE3.zip"

when you unpack the zip file check "JaS.10.4.9.Combo.Update.Intel.SSE3.pkg" mine had creation date "monday 19. march 2007 03:16"

this worked absoluteley hassle free for me.

check this thread for other patches to install - i don't remember them and have the files on the hackintosh which can't boot because of the failed PSU

I finally got it installed and almost everything going, but havent got around to the sound card yet. I just did realize something weird. I am only pulled like 5-10kb/s on downloads. My laptop which is connected to the same wifi is getting about 100kb/s. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

It's running fine again with a new Coba Nitrox PSU - NEVER BUY be quiet! !!! The guy in the shop told me they have a lot of trouble with these PSUs at the moment.

Some BIOS related questions:

"Memory Remap" - for OS X (esp. later Leopard) to 64 bit?

and what about speedstep? better to turn it on?

more BIOS questions

@shoarting (or who ever can help :( )

BIOS still shows 50°C CPU Temp. for the Q6600 B3 stepping (I used new thermal grease today from Zalman)

Fan settings:

AI Quiet: Disabled

CPU Q-Fan Control: Disabled

(Zerotherm CF900 was running at 950 RPM while in BIOS)

Chassis Q-Fan Control: Disabled

(Arctic Cooling Pro TC 80mm was running at 1430 while in BIOS)

PWR Q-Fan Control: enabled

PWR Fan Profile: Optimal

(Silenx Ixtrema Pro Series IXP-64-14 92mm running @ 1800 RPM while in BIOS)

VCORE Voltage: 1,264

EDIT: windows shows me 41°C when idle and 59° maxed out (cinebench multiprocessor test)

2nd edit:

core temperatures measured by "hardware monitor" download -> http://www.bresink.com/osx/216202/download.html

during cinebench:

Core 1 80°C

Core 2 79°C

Core 3 75°C

Core 4 78°C

5 minutes later:

Core 1 66°C

Core 2 60°C

Core 3 57°C

Core 4 60°C

are these temperatures normal now? i want to know if i could risk to overclock it a bit :mellow:

your temperature is still too high:

my idle temp shown in windows is between 25°C - 28°C

I´m using also bresink´s temperature monitor - still remember: it shows you the temperature of the single cores,not the cpu temp - this could be 20°C lower!

the maximum core temp my system reached during cinebench was 63°C. at the end it needed around one minute to get back to 44°C.my cpu is oc´d to 3 ghz.

I´m using this cooler http://www.alternate.de/html/product/detai...rticleId=195322

I guess that you shouldn´t oc with the cooler you have in your system! did you use the thermal grease the right way? this could make big differences as well ;-)

2nd edit:

core temperatures measured by "hardware monitor" download -> http://www.bresink.com/osx/216202/download.html

during cinebench:

Core 1 80°C

Core 2 79°C

Core 3 75°C

Core 4 78°C

5 minutes later:

Core 1 66°C

Core 2 60°C

Core 3 57°C

Core 4 60°C

are these temperatures normal now? i want to know if i could risk to overclock it a bit :D

. . as peach-os says, your displayed core-temps in OSX seem very high indeed - certainly too high to think about overclocking.

Do you have access to/can you borrow a known-effective 120mm s775 fansink like a Scythe Ninja or Thermalright Ultra-120? - your fansink has roughly the same performance as the retail Intel fansink, so *should* be OK at default settings given adequate caseflow.

My setup is passively watercooled [ie no fans] but doesn't goes over a displayed temp of 60C under continuous load in OSX86 even in a non-airconditioned environment in mid-Summer running overvolted with a 1GHz overclock. A Ninja even with a low-speed Nexus fan *should* give better figures than passive watercooling

. . . P5W-DH BIOS temps under the same conditions are in the high-30s C [they are 'corrected' to show something nearer to case-junction rather than core temp & are fairly meaningless]

Wireless just started working faster again, don't really know why. I have now ran into some weird issues that are making me very frustraded. I am unable to use my ipod touch, since it requires 10.4.10 according to iTunes, and I cant find a patched update of 10.4.10. I just updated itunes and for some odd reason after reboot, I had no wireless or sound and Had to reinstall the drivers.

EDIT:

I just located the update for the 10.4.10, so I am going to spend the next 5 days downloading( I HATE MY INTERNET). also a weird thing was my audio card some how got disabled in the bios.

yes i will buy a Apack Zerotherm BTF90 - i hope to be able to overclock it a bit then.

All tests i saw say it is the new no# 1 of all non watercooled CPU coolers

http://www.hartware.de/review_641_7.html

. . . . A review from a respected source liked both Apack BTF models as of Aug2006; If the real deal is you have limited room [esp height] for a fansink, this thread at silentpcreview might be worth reading for firsthand experiences.

Well if it aint broke why fix it? 10.4.9 is working great for me. Wel you could ask the pirate (owning the)the bay organisation for some help.

think he knows where you can get uphucks 10.4.10 update of just 100 mb.

Hmm well i dont know about buying a quad now :S was getting me one this year but now im just thinkg of getting me a new Imac, they just look so cool :S or in sted or a nice toschiba a200 (its fully works ecept wireles)

well im a mac man bin using amac for years now. but hackintosh it works great but updating risking al my data time and time again realy is beginning to bug me. still use the Imac G5 to store all my photo's and documents :S.