470 posts in this topic

So what was the cause of the error?

The actual cause is still mostly unknown but I think it was having the Nvidia drivers installed then updating. I'll have to try another install to make sure.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The actual cause is still mostly unknown but I think it was having the Nvidia drivers installed then updating. I'll have to try another install to make sure.

So I guess we have to uninstall web drivers before each major update.

So I guess we have to uninstall web drivers before each major update.

Well I tried again today without Nvidia drivers, fresh install, downloaded update, installed but when trying to boot from updated install it tries to load second stage boot but just reboots, no error or kp just reboots. Need others to test.

• Like 1

Well I tried again today without Nvidia drivers, fresh install, downloaded update, installed but when trying to boot from updated install it tries to load second stage boot but just reboots, no error or kp just reboots. Need others to test.

I will give it a shot next week if I can, I'm little bit preoccupied with work.

Hopefully you get better results than me.

I'm using all the latest kexts Lilu AppleALC NvidiaGraphicsFixUp.

Thanks ;)

The thing is that I don't use nVidiaGraphicsFixup, I use the clover patch. nVidiaGraphicsFixup.kext is making OS crash upon boot every once in a while (almost 2 out 5 times)

@SavageAUS

Did you install the web drivers after the update or the reboot happens without the web drivers?

It happened with and without.

And with clover patch I still get black screen without NvidiaGraphicsFixUp.

I'll download your EFI and take a look. Is it updated to what you use now?

Well, it went OK on my end, I used the latest clover r4246 with the FakeSMC 3.5.0 and CSM is disabled in BIOS. I use NVWebDriverLibValFix in clover's EFI.

It happened with and without.
And with clover patch I still get black screen without NvidiaGraphicsFixUp.

I'll download your EFI and take a look. Is it updated to what you use now?

Use this one instead, I just used this EFI folder for the test and it worked without a problem.

Just remember I removed the Serial Number, MLB, open the config.plist and regenerate those values.

One more thing to remember, after the first reboot right after the update installation remember to select the right partition too boot from. The update will create a temporary partition which contains the update installer files.

GA-Z170X-Gaming 5 Clover r4246.zip

• Like 1

@SavageAUS

All good here, even with the patched nVidia web drivers I get full acceleration. after installing the patched drivers you need to replace the NVDAStartupWeb.kext inside /Library/Extensions and remember to fix the permissions.

Maybe it just doesn't like my 960. Don't know. I give up with the beta's on my desktop, I'll stick to official point releases I think. Saves the hassle with Nvidia drivers as well. Keep the testing for my laptop.

Edit: If I remove NvidiaGraphicsFixUp and just use NVWebDriverLibValFix and clover patch I get stuck on spinning white wheel.

Maybe it just doesn't like my 960. Don't know. I give up with the beta's on my desktop, I'll stick to official point releases I think. Saves the hassle with Nvidia drivers as well. Keep the testing for my laptop.

That's a good policy ;)

But I guess all you need to do is to install the patched version of the NVDAStartupWeb.kext inside /L/E, without it my system also rebooted on the second stage of the boot process. All I did was to simply replaced the original file from another OS and after that system booted normally. If you still have the 17B35a on your hdd/ssd give it a try.

• Like 1