ThunderBolt Drivers

406 posts in this topic

Important Notification for all GC-Titan Ridge Users

Seems that it is pretty the same which TB BIOS settings you choose.

But there is one fundamental setting tough: 

Without "GPIO3 Force Pwr / ON"  the GC-Titan Ridge won't work !!

Below my actual TB BIOS settings:

TBT Root por Selector                               PCIE16_3
Thunderbolt USB Support                             Disabled
Thunderbolt Boot Support                            Disabled
Wake From Thunderbolt(TM Devices)                   Off
Thunderbolt(TM) PCIe Cache-line Size                128
GPIO3 Force Pwr                                     ON
Wait time in ms after applying Force Pwr            200
Skip PCI OptionRom                                  Enabled
Security Level                                      SL0-No Security
Reserve mem per phy slot                            32
Reserve P mem per phy slot                          32
Reserve IO per phy slot                             20
Delay before SX Exit                                300
GPIO Filter                                         Enabled
Enable CLK REQ                                      Disabled
Enable ASPM                                         Disabled
Enable LTR                                          Disabled
Extra Bus Reserved                                  65
Reserved Memory                                     386
Memory Alignment                                    26
Reserved PMemory                                    960
PMemory Alignment                                   28
Reserved I/O                                        0
Alpine Ridge XHCI WA                                Disabled

Everything works now flawless except wake from sleep with TB or USB-C devices connected. If I eject all TB and USB-C devices before sleep, the system will also wake from sleep without any issues. Subsequently I can once more hotplug all TB and USB-C devices. 

Thus, the remaining issue to be solved is to make the system wake from sleep with TB and USB-C devices connected.

In case that one plays with the TB BIOS settings and by chance selects a BIOS setting that drops the GC-Titan Ridge functionality under macOS, the GC-Titan Ridge must be once more reinitialised under Windows with correct BIOS settings before its further use under macOS! For the proper windows initialisation connect TB/USB-C devices to both TB3/USB-C ports of the adapter. 

EDIT and UPDATE: 

Further testing revealed that "GPIO3 Force Pwr / Off" is also valid but the GC-Titan Ridge must be reinitialised under Windows in this case. None of all possible TB BIOS settings seems to remove the Black Screen issue on wake with TB or USB-C devices connected.  
Edited by KGP-iMacPro
  • Like 1

On 9/26/2018 at 11:36 PM, meaganmargaret said:

The drive works if I connect at boot (as it always has), but no hot plug.....:crazy:. Lets be clear about what I mean by hot plug: the ability to unmount a drive, physically disconnect it from the system and reconnect it at another time, and have it come up and mount or at least be mountable. Another version of what I call hot plug would be to connect the drive after booting and then have the drive up and mounted.  This is what I had when I owned a iMac (2012), and so in my view, that's what hot plug should mean.

This is better than what I experienced. Windows would only see the TB3 card from time to time and even more rarely see if something was attached to it or not.

However, with Tb3 disabled in the BIOS and THB_C disconnected, the card would always be recognised and showing what devices were connected, including hotplug working.

The attached devices however would be non functional.

Edit: macos would always see the TB3 card, as well as the XHCI interface, even with TB3 enabled in the BIOS and THB_C cable connected. However, none of the attached device would work either, and no hotplug 

Edited by jya

Hello, my current setup is a Z370 Gaming 7 system running an GC-Alpine Ridge card, is it worth upgrading to a Titan Ridge? In addition, is it possible for me to gain hot plug functionality? I currently have to boot into windows 10 first with my devices already on, and then restart into OSX for any of my thunderbolt devices (specifically my UA Apollo Interface) to work.

12 minutes ago, imgarrett said:

Hello, my current setup is a Z370 Gaming 7 system running an GC-Alpine Ridge card, is it worth upgrading to a Titan Ridge? In addition, is it possible for me to gain hot plug functionality? I currently have to boot into windows 10 first with my devices already on, and then restart into OSX for any of my thunderbolt devices (specifically my UA Apollo Interface) to work.

Guess you will have to figure this out by yourself. In my case (X299), it was definitely worth the upgrade. 

On 9/24/2018 at 4:05 PM, KGP-iMacPro said:

GC-Titan Ridge 40GB/S Intel Thunderbolt 3 Certified Add-in Card fully functional under macOS! 

GC-Titan Ridge working OoB under macOS 10.14 Mojave with SSDT-X299-TB3HP-TTR.aml and SSDT-X99-TB3HP-TTR.aml :superman:

Can confirm that GC-TitanRidge is working flawlessly OOB on my rig and exact as KGP point out in earlier posts using SSDT-X299-TB3HP-TTR.aml.

The only hiccup for me is that I need to eject connected THB and USB-C-disks before sleep otherwise my rig will wake up to a black screen.

As I understand this is a "normal" behaviour for everybody with a connected GC-Titan ridge card.:graduated:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, obus said:

Can confirm that GC-TitanRidge is working flawlessly OOB on my rig and exact as KGP point out in earlier posts using SSDT-X299-TB3HP-TTR.aml.

The only hiccup for me is that I need to eject connected THB and USB-C-disks before sleep otherwise my rig will wake up to a black screen.

As I understand this is a "normal" behaviour for everybody with a connected GC-Titan ridge card.:graduated:

Cool, many thanks for this important confirmation!  :thumbsup_anim:

Let’s see if we are able to remove the last issue of a black screen on wake with TB or USB-C drives connected to the GC-Titan Ridge :wink_anim:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tony Arnold said:

Got my Titan Ridge AIO card and installed it without issue in an X299 system today. Works as described by @KGP-iMacPro (although for the first time, I can see the on-board USB-C interface with my LG 5K display connected).

:thumbsup_anim:.. also the LG 34WK95U-W works without issues? :drool:

Edited by KGP-iMacPro

Oh, no, I have the LG 5K Ultrafine (the dud that Apple sold when it retired the Cinema Displays). It works fine, so long as you don't disconnect and reconnect it. If you do that, the internal ThunderBolt hub in the monitor doesn't come back up and you lose brightness/volume controls, and the attached USB hubs. 

Same old, same old, sadly.

On 10/3/2018 at 1:39 PM, KGP-iMacPro said:

Guess you will have to figure this out by yourself. In my case (X299), it was definitely worth the upgrade. 

upgrade? So were you on a z370 system before? also, is there not a hot plug not fix available to me then?

36 minutes ago, imgarrett said:

upgrade? So were you on a z370 system before? also, is there not a hot plug not fix available to me then?

well you asked  if it is worth upgrading to a Titan Ridge, right? I answered. I can only confirm the function of the GC-Titan Ridge for the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe. Whether or no it behaves the same way on z370 you will have to figure out yourself. You will be able to use SSDT-X299-TB3HP-TTR.aml after adopting ACPI path and ACPI replacements inside the SSDT, if necessary. 

Clear enough? 

On 10/3/2018 at 4:25 PM, imgarrett said:

I too was curious if my Z370 Gaming 7 would support the Titan Ridge card.   However, my understanding of it was that the z370 only supported the Alpine Ridge and not the Titan Ridge card, and that the x299 was required to support the Titan Ridge chipset?   Maybe I'm incorrect in this assumption?   I'm definitely curious to know if it works on this motherboard or not.

10 hours ago, Haive_Music said:

I too was curious if my Z370 Gaming 7 would support the Titan Ridge card.   However, my understanding of it was that the z370 only supported the Alpine Ridge and not the Titan Ridge card, and that the x299 was required to support the Titan Ridge chipset?   Maybe I'm incorrect in this assumption?   I'm definitely curious to know if it works on this motherboard or not.

In fact the GC-Titan Ridge is also not supposed to be compatible with X299, following the compatibly statements of Gigabyte:

The GC-TITAN RIDGE is compatible with GIGABYTE motherboards of that include a Thunderbolt™ header on below:
Intel platform: H370/B360-series

* Supported status may vary depending on motherboard specifications.

But like the  GC-Alpine Ridge, it also seems to work with chipsets and and brands different than H370/B360 and Gigabyte. 

Thus you have to check yourself if the GC-Alpine Ridge would work with Z370 as it also works with X299. 

Edited by KGP-iMacPro

10 hours ago, KGP-iMacPro said:

In fact the GC-Titan Ridge is also not supposed to be compatible with X299, following the compatibly statements of Gigabyte:

The GC-TITAN RIDGE is compatible with GIGABYTE motherboards of that include a Thunderbolt™ header on below:
Intel platform: H370/B360-series

* Supported status may vary depending on motherboard specifications.

But like the  GC-Alpine Ridge, it also seems to work with chipsets and and brands different than H370/B360 and Gigabyte. 

Thus you have to check yourself if the GC-Alpine Ridge would work with Z370 as it also works with X299. 

Hmmm... very interesting.  I didn't realize that (and, more-so, that I had my supported chipsets mixed up).   I very well may have to give this Titan Ridge card a shot on the Z370 and report back.  It would be nice to see if I can get hotplug working with it, since...so far, I've been unsuccessful in my attempts with the Z370 and the Alpine Ridge :(

* Edit - Just ordered up a Titan Ridge card to try.  Hopefully it works, fixes hotplug, and also works under Windows.  Will report back with further details when it comes.

Edited by Haive_Music
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Haive_Music said:

No dice on getting the Titan Ridge to work on my Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7 motherboard.  It isn't detected at all under Bios.

Sad.  I had high hopes to finally get hotplug working.  Really wish I could get it working on my Alpine Ridge.

Did you install the attached drivers under windows and properly initialise the GC-Titan Ridge before configuring the BIOS?  

4 hours ago, Haive_Music said:

No dice on getting the Titan Ridge to work on my Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7 motherboard.  It isn't detected at all under Bios.

Sad.  I had high hopes to finally get hotplug working.  Really wish I could get it working on my Alpine Ridge.

Did you try with an Alpine Ridge card?

The Aorus Gaming 7 is the only motherboard I played with that gave me out of the box hotplug capabilities and full USB-C support (I tested with both the Asus TBEX3 and ASRock TB3 card). All I needed was the SSDT that added the two PCI properties.

So I'm surprised it wouldn't work for you.

4 hours ago, KGP-iMacPro said:

Did you install the attached drivers under windows and properly initialise the GC-Titan Ridge before configuring the BIOS?  

The GB board doesn't show the thunderbolt option in the BIOS unless the card is plugged in and connected using the THB_C header.

I'm guessing the BIOS disable the Thunderbolt option with the Titan Ridge.

58 minutes ago, jya said:

The Aorus Gaming 7 is the only motherboard I played with that gave me out of the box hotplug capabilities and full USB-C support (I tested with both the Asus TBEX3 and ASRock TB3 card). All I needed was the SSDT that added the two PCI properties.

The GB board doesn't show the thunderbolt option in the BIOS unless the card is plugged in and connected using the THB_C header.

In any case, I would install the windows driver and see if the Titan Ridge starts working with it on the Gaming 7. It can’t harm to try this option, right? 

So, I'm read the whole topic about Thunderbolt 3 support.
I'm a studio guy with currently a Z77-UD5H system and thinking about upgrading the computer to a new one with Thunderbolt 3 support so I can put my Avid HDX card inside a Sonnet Thunderbolt 3 bay.

What motherboard / cpu are you suggestion to get it working ?

2 minutes ago, BerndVP said:

So, I'm read the whole topic about Thunderbolt 3 support.
I'm a studio guy with currently a Z77-UD5H system and thinking about upgrading the computer to a new one with Thunderbolt 3 support so I can put my Avid HDX card inside a Sonnet Thunderbolt 3 bay.

What motherboard / cpu are you suggestion to get it working ?

I can confirm the GC-Titan Ridge to work with Skylake-X/X299 apart from a remaining black screen/KP issue on wake from sleep with TB devices connected. The latter issue is not apparent when employing the GC-Alpine Ridge. TB and USB-C HotPlug works flawless with both adaptors. 

I hope others can confirm GC-Titan Ridge/GC-Alpine Ridge functionality for platforms different from X299 and brands different from ASUS. 

21 hours ago, KGP-iMacPro said:

No, it wouldn't have accomplished anything.  If BIOS is unable to detect the card, nothing past it on the OS side is going to detect it either.  Windows showed no reference to the card being detected, nor did my devices I tried at a raw hardware level.

17 hours ago, jya said:

Yes, I'm currently using the Alpine Ridge card - which works great under Windows.  Under OSX it works, but ...I have no hotplug support.  I basically lost sleep and always have to leave the computer and the thunderbolt devices on 24/7 now.  I don't mind giving up sleep - I expected to lose that, but it'd be great to be able to turn my audio interface on and off.  It works perfect on a real mac, and also under Windows with the Alpine Ridge.  There has to be something I'm missing with my SSDT.  

That's interesting you tried the other 2 cards without success.  I read a lot of reviews saying the Alpine Ridge just simply worked "better", so that was what I went with and the only one I tried.  I'd be very interested in trying your SSDT to see if it fixes my hotplug issues since it sounds like you have the same board as me?  Perhaps there's something wrong with my DDST and/or Clover config as well?  I wish I knew more about these, but... still trying to learn.  You wouldn't mind sharing your Clover config, DDST, and hotplug SSDT with me to try would you?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Haive_Music said:

No, it wouldn't have accomplished anything.  If BIOS is unable to detect the card, nothing past it on the OS side is going to detect it either.  Windows showed no reference to the card being detected, nor did my devices I tried at a raw hardware level.

Yes, I'm currently using the Alpine Ridge card - which works great under Windows.  Under OSX it works, but ...I have no hotplug support.  I basically lost sleep and always have to leave the computer and the thunderbolt devices on 24/7 now.  I don't mind giving up sleep - I expected to lose that, but it'd be great to be able to turn my audio interface on and off.  It works perfect on a real mac, and also under Windows with the Alpine Ridge.  There has to be something I'm missing with my SSDT.  

That's interesting you tried the other 2 cards without success.  I read a lot of reviews saying the Alpine Ridge just simply worked "better", so that was what I went with and the only one I tried.  I'd be very interested in trying your SSDT to see if it fixes my hotplug issues since it sounds like you have the same board as me?  Perhaps there's something wrong with my DDST and/or Clover config as well?  I wish I knew more about these, but... still trying to learn.  You wouldn't mind sharing your Clover config, DDST, and hotplug SSDT with me to try would you?

Can you upload an IOREG.save and "PCI" screenshot of Apple's system report with the TB-SSDT supposedly successfully implemented? 

Edited by KGP-iMacPro

1 hour ago, Haive_Music said:

Sure, here you go.  I included a copy of the SSDT as well.  Maybe you will know why hotplug isn't working for me.  *fingers crossed*

IOReg.iojones

PCI Screenshot.png

SSDT-TB3.aml

1.) Your are not using SSDT-X299-TB3HP.aml but some strange modified and shortened derivate.

2.) Please download SSDT-X299-TB3HP-test.aml and SSDT-DTPG.aml and copy both files to /EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched. Remove any other TB-SSDT.

SSDT-DTPG.aml you only need if you do not have implemented Method DTPG in any other of your SSDTs. 

SSDT-X299-TB3HP-test.aml is already adopted to your system and should else work OOB. 

3.) However, to make SSDT-X299-TB3HP-test.aml work on your system you also need at least the following ACPI replacements in your config.plist in section ACPI of Clover Configurator. 

a.) PC00 -> PCI0

b.) _DSM -> XDSM

4.) Test it and let me know about the result. I am not familiar with IOJones. In case of further issues please upload an IOREGExplorer-Save of your ACPI Table, a new "PCI" screenshot of Apple's System report and your entire EFI-Folder. 

Good luck, 

KGP

SSDT-X299-TB3HP-test.aml

SSDT-DTPG.aml

11 hours ago, KGP-iMacPro said:

1.) Your are not using SSDT-X299-TB3HP.aml but some strange modified and shortened derivate.

2.) Please download SSDT-X299-TB3HP-test.aml and SSDT-DTPG.aml and copy both files to /EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched. Remove any other TB-SSDT.

SSDT-DTPG.aml you only need if you do not have implemented Method DTPG in any other of your SSDTs. 

SSDT-X299-TB3HP-test.aml is already adopted to your system and should else work OOB. 

3.) However, to make SSDT-X299-TB3HP-test.aml work on your system you also need at least the following ACPI replacements in your config.plist in section ACPI of Clover Configurator. 

a.) PC00 -> PCI0

b.) _DSM -> XDSM

4.) Test it and let me know about the result. I am not familiar with IOJones. In case of further issues please upload an IOREGExplorer-Save of your ACPI Table, a new "PCI" screenshot of Apple's System report and your entire EFI-Folder. 

Good luck, 

KGP

SSDT-X299-TB3HP-test.aml

SSDT-DTPG.aml

That definitely did something.  My Alpine Ridge now shows up as a Titan Ridge (although, that may just be cosmetic).  My PCI section is definitely different/shorter.   

Unfortunately, hotplug still does not work.

Here's a new IOReg (with both those .amls applied), my EFI folder, and my PCI Screenshot.   I had to remove the files in the 'APPLE' folder from my EFI.  They were huge for some reason (24mb)?

IOReg.zip

PCI.png

EFI.zip

Edited by Haive_Music