ThunderBolt Drivers

406 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, KGP-iMacPro said:

GC-Titan Ridge 40GB/S Intel Thunderbolt 3 Certified Add-in Card fully functional under macOS! 

GC-Titan Ridge working OoB under macOS 10.14 Mojave with SSDT-X299-TB3HP-TTR.aml and SSDT-X99-TB3HP-TTR.aml :superman:

307242-00f6ad24ada8fb002882c54b48853b4a.jpg.d78a3f367a85580f009157b4f522c78f.jpg

Unfortunately, I fear it is not backwards compatible with THB 2 devices, even using TB3 to TB2 adapters. Can you confirm or am I wrong?  :wallbash:

25 minutes ago, meaganmargaret said:

With or Without the THB_C cable connected?  Fantastic news, btw.....!!   Mine is expected to be delivered on Wednesday.....

For now with THB_C cable connected, but I am sure it works without, including HotPlug. 

BTW.. I cannot connect the attached USB cable to my mainboard of unknown reason -> shortcut 

27 minutes ago, lelet said:

Unfortunately, I fear it is not backwards compatible with THB 2 devices, even using TB3 to TB2 adapters. Can you confirm or am I wrong?  :wallbash:

Don't fear, it is not worth to fear.. :P

I have a TB2 HDD connected via Apple's TB3 ->TB2 adaptor... Works flawless.. :wink_anim: 

Edited by KGP-iMacPro
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KGP-iMacPro said:

GC-Titan Ridge 40GB/S Intel Thunderbolt 3 Certified Add-in Card fully functional under macOS! 

Awesome, where did you get yours, at what price?

Does it use the same cable as the Asus TB3 (or ASRock TB3), the GB TB3 motherboard cable is slightly different, their previous TB3 card came with a cable with both connectors, is that still the case?

Edited by jya

57 minutes ago, KGP-iMacPro said:

Don't fear, it is not worth to fear.. :P

I have a TB2 HDD connected via Apple's TB3 ->TB2 adaptor... Works flawless.. :wink_anim: 

I'm glad to hear this! :thumbsup_anim: 

I had read in the past that the latest firmware update for Alpine Ridge was the last to support the Thunderbolt 2 <_<

5 minutes ago, meaganmargaret said:

I got mine at Amazon, US.....$98.....

Cool.

I'll wait to see if it shows up in France over the next 3 weeks. After that I'm in the US, will buy one then if still needed.

Edit: Now having to wait for someone to make a 27" 5K screen, using a single cable. So I could use more than one 5K screen with my Vega Frontier Edition.

Edited by jya

There is something weird with the Titan Ridge onboard USB connector and its extension cable though, which seem mandatory for TB USB-C HotPlug.

When connecting the attached USB cable with the Titan Ridge USB header and a standard, internal USB2.0 header on my X99-A II, I observe a shortcut of the entire system.

When connecting the attached USB cable with the Titan Ridge USB header and the standard, internal USB2.0 header on my Prime X299 Deluxe, everything seems to work but there is suddenly a strong USB mouse and keyboard lag and wake from sleep breaks.

The Titan Ridge manual states that the Titan Ridge onboard USB connector should be connected with the mainboard F_USB header via the attached extension cable.

The question is if there is any difference between a standard USB2.0 mainboard header and a particular F_USB mainboard header mentioned in the Titan Ridge manual?

2 minutes ago, Tony Arnold said:

Looking at the manual for a Titan Ridge compatible motherboard like the H370 AORUS, the connectors look identical (although they are vertically inverted from each other). The "F" seems to stand for "Front Panel" on the Gigabyte boards.

Vertically inverted from each other? 

5 hours ago, Tony Arnold said:

When you say "shortcut" can you describe that in more detail? Are you saying that the system's power is shorted out?

As soon I plug the attached USB2.0 cable to the X99-A II onboard USB2.0 header, my Ring fans start to rotate (although slowly and with reduced led brightness) and the system turns on by itself and subsequently never turns off even if forced.

This just happens on case of the X99-A II. I do not observe this issue with my ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe. 

Edited by KGP-iMacPro
  • Confused 1

As far as I know, the USB 2.0 header connector is only there to support USB 2.0 devices. I was able to connect half of the GC-TITAN RIDGE's 9 pin connector to a MacBook Pro's USB port to enable a mouse connected to a Thunderbolt port of the GC-TITAN RIDGE.

https://egpu.io/forums/thunderbolt-enclosures/list-of-intel-titan-ridge-thunderbolt-3-devices/paged/3/#post-43827

1 hour ago, joevt said:

As far as I know, the USB 2.0 header connector is only there to support USB 2.0 devices. I was able to connect half of the GC-TITAN RIDGE's 9 pin connector to a MacBook Pro's USB port to enable a mouse connected to a Thunderbolt port of the GC-TITAN RIDGE.

https://egpu.io/forums/thunderbolt-enclosures/list-of-intel-titan-ridge-thunderbolt-3-devices/paged/3/#post-43827

All TB3 chipset includes an USB controller (and 3.1 10gbit/s at that)

Why would it need a USB2.0 external connector. It's very puzzling.

I was too impatient and ordered one. It should arrive by Monday, will report then 

2 hours ago, meaganmargaret said:

Well, I got mine (the Titan Ridge card) today, and I'm not getting what I call hot plug.

Wwith the Titan Ridge card connected via the internal USB 2.0 port connection, the THB_C cable connected to the motherboard, the dual 6 pin power connectors connected, and the TB Titan Ridge aml file loaded (SSDT-X299-TB3HP-TTR.aml), I do not have hot plug, at least with my TB1 hard drive to Titan Ridge card. I just tried it and it didn't work.

Windows 10 shows two devices: my TB1 hard drive and my CalDigit TB dock (which is TB3), so I think the drivers are working. I don't see any place to set permissions, like I did in the past - I'm thinking they may have fixed that?

The drive works if I connect at boot (as it always has), but no hot plug.....:crazy:. Lets be clear about what I mean by hot plug: the ability to unmount a drive, physically disconnect it from the system and reconnect it at another time, and have it come up and mount or at least be mountable. Another version of what I call hot plug would be to connect the drive after booting and then have the drive up and mounted.  This is what I had when I owned a iMac (2012), and so in my view, that's what hot plug should mean.

I am not experiencing any anomolies with my fans, they seem to work normally, nor am I experiencing any other normalities (so far).

How are other folks doing?  Anybody else (other than kgp, I mean) managed hot plug so far?  If you have, how did you do it?   What did you connect that I didn't?

@meaganmargaret, in which PCIe slot of your ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe are you using SSDT-X299-TB3HP-TTR.aml? You know that the SSDT would only work with the GC-Titan Ridge in PCIe slot-4 from above and that else the SSDT needs to be adopted?

If the SSDT is not properly adopted to your system and slot population and crashes or is ignored during the boot of your system, you won't have any HotPlug at all.

Therefore, could you please upload an IOREG.sav and a "PCI" screenshot of Apple's system report for your system? Thanks in advance! 

BTW.. Both of your options are kind of "HotPlug" and work with the GC-Titan Ridge: I can boot my system with a TB device connected, unmount it, physically disconnect it from the system and reconnect it at another time. Boot I also can boot my system without any TB device connected, physically connect a TB device after boot and it would be automatically mounted and implemented by macOS.  

Edited by KGP-iMacPro

13 minutes ago, meaganmargaret said:

TBT Root por Selector                               PCIE16_3
Thunderbolt USB Support                             Enabled
Thunderbolt Boot Support                            Enabled
Wake From Thunderbolt(TM Devices)                   Off

".............."

So, based on your complete .AML file, which is it?  Because it used to be slot 16_3.  If it is now slot 16_4 for the Titan Ridge TB3 adapter, have you modified your complete .AML file?  Does the entire .AML file need to be changed for the Titan Ridge TB3 adapter so that it sits in slot 4 and is so referenced in the .AML file for the iMac Pro?

Or, are you saying we need to modify the SSDT-X299-TB3HP-TTR.aml for slot 16_4?  (And yes, I am using the SSDT-X299-TB3HP-TTR.aml file you posted on GitHUb).  If we did that, would it conflict with the current complete .AML file?  Or would modifying SSDT-X299-TB3HP-TTR.aml eliminate any conflict between the modified SSDT-X299-TB3HP-TTR.aml and the current complete .AML for the Imac Pro?

My TB-adopters always have been in the same PCIe slot, which I call Slot-4 for simplicity in my slot nomenclature but which is in fact PCIEX16_3 following the ASUS manual nomenclature :  

258101-35422b2791fd35bcfd93a81a00c3adeb.jpg.png.89e7b5ecf9ee1a6dff288e09cf881730.png

SSDT-X299-TB3HP-TTR.aml requires SSDT-DTPG.aml, or method DTPG implemented in the complete .AML for the Imac Pro, which anyway is obsolete as it has been split into device specific system amls in the meanwhile now available on Github

As I say, an IOREG.sav + "PCI" snapshot would clarify your current situation. 

Edited by KGP-iMacPro
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, meaganmargaret said:

I have followed your outlines almost exactly.  I have the same motherboard, I inserted the TB EX 3 in slot 16_3 (which you call slot 4) 2039847042_ScreenShot2018-09-26at5_41_36PM.png.9b75d25d4d52f618c3ebf32d36664e5d.png2039847042_ScreenShot2018-09-26at5_41_36PM.png.9b75d25d4d52f618c3ebf32d36664e5d.png63195210_ScreenShot2018-09-26at1_48_19PM.thumb.png.098f0e3e87c6198b3d93c401c270386d.png1117662036_ScreenShot2018-09-26at1_47_49PM.thumb.png.5d5fb2ae2f84aef3938b488e99c7208a.pngas you did.  So, I inserted the Titan Ridge TB 3 card in the same slot, slot 16_3.   I loaded the complete .aml file, with the SSDT-DTPG aml file and the SSDT-X299-TB3HP-TTR file.

I can't give you the IOREG file anymore because I already pulled the Titan Ridge card and re-installed the old Asus TB EX3 card. 

In case you don't know who you are conversing with, on the other forum, you would know me as:  mm2margaret.

I know with whom I am conversing with here and there :wink_anim:..

I don't know why you give up that quickly.. something is obviously missing at your side. You have the same GC-Titan Ridge and the same ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe as I do. TB HotPlug and TB USB-C HotPlug must also work on your system, using SSDT-X299-TB3HP-TTR.aml

As I said in the other forum, 2:48 a.m. here in Berlin.. I need to go back to sleep.. see you tomorrow, lady.. ;) 

The proof - GC-Titan Ridge TB HotPlug + TB USB-C HotPlug under macOS Mojave 10.14.0 

GC-Titan Ridge + ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe + SSDT-X299-TB3HP-TTR.aml +TB HotPlug TB + TB USB-C HotPlug successfully verified under macOS Mojave 10.14.0

1728868063_Screenshot2018-09-27at07_20_25.thumb.png.bcbf99b75ddf3b99bc9b01abf33496e8.png

Klick the link below to see the video:

https://youtu.be/8P0X5Z7giEg

Like always, I verified TB HotPlug with my  5 TB Lacie Rugged Thunderbolt 2 HDD (+ Apple TB3 -> TB2 adapter) and TB USB-C HotPlug with my Transcend JetFlash 850 USB 3.1 Type-C Stick.

kgp.png.26af3d6a9fdd7bf1450c09cf32425555.png

Edited by KGP-iMacPro

GC-Titan Ridge - Further Confirmations

In the meanwhile, I also successfully verified GC-Titan Ridge + ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe + SSDT-X299-TB3HP-TTR.aml +TB HotPlug TB + TB USB-C HotPlug under macOS High Sierra 10.13.6

I also successfully verified the GC-Titan Ridge DisplayPort 1.4 and DisplayPort 1.4 HotPlug functionality 

image.png.494136e19ea7086c837c9b9bd37c23ed.png

image.png.c11dd9e0a754b89c19a642e2b4b2e2a0.png

as well as the Kanex Premium USB-C -> HDMI 4K Adapter and  Kanex Premium USB-C -> HDMI 4K Adapter HotPlug functionality.

image.png.23fddc9e2353435de5689d941e01f33b.png

image.thumb.png.634288dbcaf0059c0fff6b42d0f52a47.png

kgp.png.dc73ab39b1d9a5f7a794e1ea9aa8d900.png

Edited by KGP-iMacPro

13 hours ago, meaganmargaret said:

Posted elsewhere, but provided here for the sense of completeness......

The IOREG file from my computer after re-installing the Titan Ridge TB card. Also included are some screen shots, and a copy of my config.plist (minus the stuff in SMBIOS), (all of which is provided elsewhere, but not on this post).

My motherboard hardware is virtually identical to yours. As I have a 7940x, some differences can be noted, but they are minor. My bios is the iMac Pro modded 1503. My TB configuration in the bios is identical to what you've posted on the first post here. My TB hardware is a GTC TB enabled external disk and the Apple OEM TB 3 to TB 2 cable. The TTR card and the Asus TB EX3 card were both installed in slot 16_3, and no settings in the bios were changed for either card. Also note that for the TTR card, I had all three cables connected (the additional power cables, the THB_C cable and the USB 2 cable).

Bottom line: Sadly, for me, the Hot Plug did NOT work in the macOS. To make sure it was not a hardware issue, I tried it in Windows. With the TB EX3 card in Windows numerous times, I disconnected the TB drive and reconnected it, and it worked. With the TTR card, I got sporadic results, it would connect, and then other times it wouldn't. Some times it would show the drive was connected when it was not.

But this is not about Windows. In macOS (and I am running 10.14.0), the TTR card was also erratic. It negatively affected my Sapphire Nitro + Vega 64 card, and it would start to spin wildly, until I applied the old usual fix of running an MP4 file in the background. If I didn't connect the TB drive before startup, it would not connect and mount at all. So, all in all, it had some negatives and it didn't seem to be any different than the Asus TB EX3 card in terms of loading and mounting my TB drive. In both cases, the appropriate .AML files were loaded for the cards.

Don't know what to say about this. I respect that for you, kgp, it worked. Maybe its a bios issue and I'm happy to send you a text file of mine, but I tend to think that it's the card itself that may be the issue. Some odd firmware revision or modification on the TTR cards we get in the US that you didn't get there. Not sure about that, of course.

I, as all of us who follow you, do appreciate all the hard work you have put in on this thread and the builds you've made possible. I do wish I had better results to report, but I can't. Too bad....

Your TTR should work solid at least under Windows.. if it does not, you might have a severe problem to be fixed anyway.. Following recent news somewhere else, you now seem also to be the only one left (out of 3 people currently using the GC-Titan Ridge on their macOS systems) with non-functional TB HotPlug under macOS.  

Let me check your BIOS settings and EFI-Folder and come back to you in case I find something suspicious that prevents the proper function of the GC-Titan Ridge even under Windows. 

Yet we have to learn und understand the proper function and behaviour of our GC-Titan Ridge on our systems, which requires a lot of patience, positivism and experimenting.. :wink_anim:

Don't forget that we are kind of pioneers in this new endeavour and nothing works the first day without solving remains issues. :sorcerer:

At this point and after reading issues with GC-Titan Ridge I will stay with my Asus TB EX3 :

- hot plug through USB_C connected in my screen works perfectly 

- hot plug on USB 3,1 type A works perfectly

( it's not a legend :) even if implementation of IOThunderboltController is not fully achieved on IOREG )

I may be buying an Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt 3 because it offers a second USB C port for my future LG 4K display.

1 minute ago, Loloflat6 said:

At this point and after reading issues with GC-Titan Ridge I will stay with my Asus TB EX3 :

- hot plug through USB_C connected in my screen works perfectly 

- hot plug on USB 3,1 type A works perfectly

( it's not a legend :) even if implementation of IOThunderboltController is not fully achieved on IOREG )

I may be buying an Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt 3 because it offers a second USB C port for my future LG 4K display.

That my GC-Titan Ridge also works flawless including TB HotPlug und USB-C HotPlug even with THB-C connected is also not a legend that I distributed for fun. Sad that some people are not able to set their things as required and moreover scare others with their comments.

Anyway, everybody's decision with what to go for..  :wink_anim:

11 minutes ago, KGP-iMacPro said:

That my GC-Titan Ridge also works flawless including TB HotPlug und USB-C HotPlug even with THB-C connected is also not a legend that I distributed for fun. Sad that some people are not able to set their things as required and moreover scare others with their comments.

Anyway, everybody's decision with what to go for..  :wink_anim:

Humor is not excluded and you know that...:)

Yes of course I know that in your build it works flawless and I will wait for other perfect achievement on others builds. :yes:

Edited by Loloflat6

For some reason, I just can't seem to get hotplug to work.  I've made some progress with the SSDT - although, to be honest, I'm not real familiar with what I'm doing while editing it.  It came from a base I found, which I've attempted to modify to get it to work.

I've managed to get the Focusrite to show up under PCI devices, so I think that's a step in the right direction.  Just missing this last piece of the puzzle.   I do have the cable connected on my Alpine Ridge.  It doesn't seem to work well without it.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get hotplug working properly on this config?  Thanks!

Focusrite Discovered.png

IOJones.png

John’s iMac.iojones

SSDT-TB3.aml