Sinetek's Driver for Realtek "RTSX" SDHC Card Readers

Sinetek
335 posts in this topic

On 6/22/2020 at 1:45 AM, MacKonsti said:

Hi @cholonam thank you very much for putting effort in this driver/kext, for me I had totally forgotten the microSD card reader existing on my Intel NUC8i7BEH2 as I had the device disabled in BIOS. Your latest version 2.3-beta release build seems to load and detect fine my device (PXSX under RP15). What would be your target macOS? Will it include 10.13.x and above for example?

I am compiling the code using the 10.13 SDK, so the binaries should load on 10.13 and higher. You may be able to use the kext on 10.12 or lower, but you would have to compile it from the source and maybe make some changes.

My details in lspci:

6e:00.0 Storage controller [ff00]: Realtek Semiconductor Co. Ltd. RTS522A PCI Express Card Reader [10ec:522a] (rev 01)
IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/RP15@1D,6/IOPP/PXSX@0
PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1D,0x6)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

Note that my chip is RTS525A. I don't know if this driver will work with RTS522A. If it does, please let others know. I recommend you DO NOT use the -rtsx_mimic_linux boot parameter (since that does some RTS525A-specific initialization) and use -rtsx_ro instead first, if you have any important data on the card you are using to test.

Mojave log on Terminal and kextload status (I loaded it manually for now):

2020-06-21 18:28:08.09 kernel[0]: (Sinetek-rtsx) rtsx:    Sinetek_rtsx::init                  : ADMA enabled
2020-06-21 18:28:08.09 kernel[0]: Sinetek_rtsx::probe(PXSX)
2020-06-21 18:28:08.09 kernel[0]: (Sinetek-rtsx) rtsx:    Sinetek_rtsx::findMSI               : MSI interrupt found at index 1
2020-06-21 18:28:08.10 kernel[0]: (Sinetek-rtsx) rtsx:    Sinetek_rtsx::start                 : Driver started (version 2.3-beta release build)

146    0 0xffffff7f8363b000 0x30000    0x30000    com.sinet3k.Sinetek-rtsx (5) 6F5BE4E9-94C3-34AE-91C8-FEE1F9477DAB <32 13 8 6 5 3 1>

IORegistryExplorer: Device found and driver attached as expected. The only thing I am not getting is the card-reader icon on the top-menu bar, is this normal? Is anybody else getting that icon in Mojave?

I've never seen any card-reader icon on the top menubar. What you should get is an external disk icon on the desktop when you insert a properly formatted card.

I have perfect sleep and will check if the sleep is impacted by having your driver loaded with and without a card inserted (gotta find myself a card now). Thanks again!

Thanks for the feedback:)

1 hour ago, cholonam said:

I am compiling the code using the 10.13 SDK, so the binaries should load on 10.13 and higher. You may be able to use the kext on 10.12 or lower, but you would have to compile it from the source and maybe make some changes.

Note that my chip is RTS525A. I don't know if this driver will work with RTS522A. If it does, please let others know. I recommend you DO NOT use the -rtsx_mimic_linux boot parameter (since that does some RTS525A-specific initialization) and use -rtsx_ro instead first, if you have any important data on the card you are using to test.

I've never seen any card-reader icon on the top menubar. What you should get is an external disk icon on the desktop when you insert a properly formatted card.

Hi @cholonam Thanks for compiling for 10.13 and above!

OK so seeing the driver attaching to my IOReg device, that means that [10ec:522a] is supported by your kext, yes?

The card-reader icon does exist but not sure under what conditions it appears, I have to search for an image for you. Perhaps it was only on High Sierra and not Mojave... please see attached (found on-line).

So -rtsx_ro is to make read-only, right? I think this is somewhat safe to test for cards, thanks for the tip.

Havin the kext loaded did not break my working sleep on my hack, so for what I am concerned, it works great.

Please can you post an image of your IORegistryExplorer on what we are supposed to get for a working driver WITH a card inserted? Just to have for reference.... Thanks!

screen-shot-2017-10-24-at-8-48-53-pm-png

(P.S. This image may show ExpressCard but I am sure normal SD users may have gotten it :D )

Edited by MacKonsti

15 hours ago, MacKonsti said:

Hi @cholonam Thanks for compiling for 10.13 and above!

OK so seeing the driver attaching to my IOReg device, that means that [10ec:522a] is supported by your kext, yes?

I can only support RTS525A, which is my chip. The code forked from (Sinetek's original driver) included a list of many devices from the same Realtek family (they are very similar, but require slightly different initialization). In your case, as for many others with similar Realtek card readers, the driver will attach, but it MAY o MAY NOT work. There is nothing guaranteed. I am very open to accept pull requests from users with other chips in order to make them work (it's not difficult, since the Linux kernel supports all these variations), but I do not plan to do any development regarding any chip other than mine.

The card-reader icon does exist but not sure under what conditions it appears, I have to search for an image for you. Perhaps it was only on High Sierra and not Mojave... please see attached (found on-line).

First time I see that icon :) I don't think it can be shown using this driver...

So -rtsx_ro is to make read-only, right? I think this is somewhat safe to test for cards, thanks for the tip.

Right.

Havin the kext loaded did not break my working sleep on my hack, so for what I am concerned, it works great.

Please can you post an image of your IORegistryExplorer on what we are supposed to get for a working driver WITH a card inserted? Just to have for reference.... Thanks!

Here it is:

1429063322_ScreenShot2020-06-24at3_06_09PM.thumb.png.b2bbec2adc1c037fae51a47e8b45fb22.png

(P.S. This image may show ExpressCard but I am sure normal SD users may have gotten it :D )

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

For those interested, I've released a new version of this kext (here). I have added more code from the Linux driver, which will improve stability with RTS525A and may help with other chips too, since some code is common to all chips (it may also introduce some regression, please let me know if it does).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/20/2020 at 2:11 AM, cholonam said:

For those interested, I've released a new version of this kext (here). I have added more code from the Linux driver, which will improve stability with RTS525A and may help with other chips too, since some code is common to all chips (it may also introduce some regression, please let me know if it does).

cholonam, I created an account just to say THANK YOU!  This worked on my HP Spectre X360 13-AP0013DX.  Thanks again!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The new version copies stuff faster, but it's way more buggy, like the very first versions sometimes it loses connection to the card which interrupts copying and then you cannot eject it properly. On version 2.2 you don't have those problems (at least I don't) but it's working maybe on half the speed of 2.3. Anyways I'm very happy this is being still developed as this is the only way making this work and for many hackintosh users this is the only thing which doesn't work on their laptops, so keep up with the good work. If you need anything, I can try to help 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Stay tuned for a new driver that unleashes the full potential of your SDXC UHS-I cards. 😀

Preview: (Read Speed = ~75MB/s; Write Speed = ~60MB/s; Throttled by the hardware instead of the card. 🙃)

FWRTSX.thumb.png.7d0bda2a02633c84935ca11668c93fc8.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1