[Guide] Clean 10.12.2 Sierra installation on the Surface Pro 1

Savoury.Monkey

76 posts in this topic

Introduction 

I basically wrote down everything i did the last few days to get Sierra working on my Surface Pro. 

To safe you guys the hassle i've been trough i wrote this "little" guide.. Hope you enjoy it.

Access to a real Mac or Hackintosh needed for the next 5 steps!

1. Download those 3 Files:

- Sierra EFI files, Kexts & Kextdrop

- OS X Sierra installation App

- latest Clover

2. Prepare the USB Stick using Disk Utility in OS X, format the Stick to HFS and name it „SierraStick“ (necessary for the next step).

post-1873467-0-78104200-1482053040_thumb.png

3. Apply the Installer to the Stick using this Command:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/SierraStick/ --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/ --nointeraction

4. Install Clover, Choose the SierraStick as location, click on Customize and tick exactly what is shown below (there’s no need for themes, as there’s one in my EFI folder).

post-1873467-0-33485200-1482052945.png post-1873467-0-25840100-1482052947.png post-1873467-0-66905900-1482052947_thumb.png

- Make sure Clover Created the EFI Partiton!

5. Copy My EFI folder you downloaded from the Link above straight to the Root of the EFI Drive (replace/merge the files/folder if needed).

Now insert the clover’d SierraStick into the Surface!

6. Make sure the Surface is turned off, press the Volume down and the Power button - keep the Volume down one pressed.

7. Once booted to Clover start the Setup by simply pressing enter.

8. Once the Setup ran trough the Surface reboots, make sure you booted clover again (like 2 steps before) - choose the Drive you installed OS X to and press enter.

9. Setup continues…

10. Reboot once again, boot into the OS X partition and make sure everything works as it should.

If everything worked like it should you should now have a fully working Sierra installation now, congrats. 

Place Clover to the Mac EFI:

"If it runs on your stick its runs on your disc" - caleidosCope

1. Download Clover Configurator and mount the EFI Partition of the Setup Stick.

Clover Configurator

post-1873467-0-14428800-1482052942_thumb.png

2. Copy the EFI folder to your desktop.

3. Reboot OS X (that’s just to be sure you’re not messing the EFI partitions, if you’re careful enough you can skip that).

4. Remove the Stick once OS X booted and run the Configurator again, this time mount the Mac EFI.

5. Copy the EFI folder from the desktop to the Mac EFI partition (replace/merge the files/folder if needed).

6. Reboot to make sure it boots clover.

The journey just began.. No, really.. We’re not fully done yet!

Whats up next?

As you may or may not noticed there seem to be some things not working:

- Bluetooth

- Audio

- Appstore (partially works, installing doesn’t while updates do)

Just follow the following steps to get the above things working:

1. Run the Kext Drop you downloaded in my EFI package at the first post and „kextdrop“ the 3 files included right next to it. (NullEthernet.kext, AvastarFwLoader.kext & AppleHDA.kext)

2. Run Clover Configurator you downloaded before, mount your EFI as described above and open the EFI partition 

post-1873467-0-58007700-1482052944_thumb.png

3. Navigate to EFI/Clover/ and open the „config.plist“ by double clicking it - Clover Configurator should now pop up.

4. Within the Configurator navigate to SMBIOS on the lift side and click on the magic wand button on the right side.

post-1873467-0-28024000-1482052941.png

5. Now choose the MacBook Air (no matter which one, its up to you), and press „ok“ in the next appearing window. Save the changes with cmd+s and reboot the system.

post-1873467-0-79925900-1482052940.png

Congratulations, now everything stated above should work, Appstore will allow you to download apps, sound will play and the microphone should work now too. Its up to you now, be wise with what you do next!

Last but to least, special thanks to:

caleidosCope (danke für deine „nerven“ ;) )

ClaudesTech (initial inspiration to write this guide)

JahStories (some files here and there)

Whoelse I might missed (please PM me)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Clover is not creating a EFI partition on my USB stick at all it has some instructions when you check the ESP box saying..

Install Clover in the ESP (EFI System Partition) of the target volume

Need to format ESP as Fat32 on Mac first.

For Fat32 use commands like:

diskutil list

newfs_msdos -v EFI -F 32 /dev/rdisk9s1

any help would be appreciated because my Surface refuses to boot off the usb with or without secure boot enabled.

• 2 weeks later...

Clover is not creating a EFI partition on my USB stick at all it has some instructions when you check the ESP box saying..

any help would be appreciated because my Surface refuses to boot off the usb with or without secure boot enabled.

Try another clover version? another boot stick? It will never boot with secure boot "on", if it is not a windows or a certified OS(?).

Try another clover version? another boot stick? It will never boot with secure boot "on", if it is not a windows or a certified OS(?).

did you get this to work? can you send me your clover? I have tried the clover he linked and several sticks from, Patriot/Sandisk/SiliconPower.. all no go reguardless of surface secure enabled or not.

As i recall... it is no magic... partition your stick into two partitions... FAT (300MB) for EFI ... the rest for the install of OS X ... GUID Mac OS Extended (Journald). Then copy the EFI folder you got from your previous attempts copy it to the FAT. 

This MUST work... sometimes it doesn't why i don't know.

Look also in the other threads that cover the Surface1 ... the guides are a little different... same tools.

The same files you load out of the web... i loaded too... so "my"version is the version from the devs... ask them also.

PERHAPS: You already have a EFI-partition... maybe you don't "see" it... use cloverconfigurator (or EFI-mounter) to mount the EFI (double check which one to mount... if you are on a real mac or hack - they have EFIs too)

Switch "off" your secure boot, and leave it. Switch it back "on" if your going back to Windows!!! 

And now a little "sidehacking": It won't boot if you didn't feed your clover on the stick with the necessary files mentioned here and in all the other SF1 threads...i assume you are a bloody hackintosh beginner (correct me if i am wrong)... As i told the thread-owner ;) ... "You dont read enough!" Go on and read the other threads also... this is no hit and run. you will have a learning curve. So i still learn.

One more thing: There is no straighter way as described here. IT IS ALREADY THE ESSENCE OF THE ESSENCE. No need for "purification". And it works. (And read the other threads...didi i mention that? ;) )

• 3 weeks later...

Nice Tutorial, I successfully installed Mac OS in my SP1. One step is critical that we need to change the language, by default, it is "It" or 'en".

A small issue, keyboard needs to disconnected and connected back for every reboot. Appreciate any help here. 

Thanks a lot!

• 2 weeks later...

I am not new to OSX or Hackintoshing but if i have to do extra steps like creating multiple partitions before the guide then it needs to say that.. I have checked with diskutil there is only a single partition on the USB drive so there's nothing to un-hide to copy files to. it also says make sure clover created the EFI partition.. which it is not doing. with the files and instructions provided on this thread that "just works", it is not. I am using a REAL mac to create the USB installer and follow the letter of the instructions to a T and its not working. Besides the glaring typo in the write up since as soon as you use the createinstallmedia command in step 3 it renames the USB from SierraStick To Install OS X Sierra so in step 4 it says to select SerriaStick that volume no longer exists. But I did make the ENORMOUS leap to just selecting my USB stick. I am also unable to partition the USB stick in Disk Utility under El Cappy no idea why this is and none of my USB sticks will allow partition to be selected regardless of mounted partitions or selecting either the device name or partition name.

So as you may at some point wanted to attempt to be helpful your none of your replies where and actually derailed the thread and request for help. You may think me an impatient person with little knowledge but I am neither and as easy as this guide looked I assumed I would need to do more digging than a 5 step guide. But that said if your not going to deliver full instructions for the task at hand or mention that they will need to do extra then you should EXPECT QUESTIONS. ESPECIALLY if you bother to cover the USB prep but never mention you need to make your OWN EFI partition or that Clover might fail and you would have to.

I am all for supporting peoples work and I am glad and thankful he took the time to do it. But my request for help being answered with derailing remarks about my intelligence level on the subject and a go read more, are unwarranted and unwelcome. 

As i recall... it is no magic... partition your stick into two partitions... FAT (300MB) for EFI ... the rest for the install of OS X ... GUID Mac OS Extended (Journald). Then copy the EFI folder you got from your previous attempts copy it to the FAT. 

This MUST work... sometimes it doesn't why i don't know.

Look also in the other threads that cover the Surface1 ... the guides are a little different... same tools.

The same files you load out of the web... i loaded too... so "my"version is the version from the devs... ask them also.

PERHAPS: You already have a EFI-partition... maybe you don't "see" it... use cloverconfigurator (or EFI-mounter) to mount the EFI (double check which one to mount... if you are on a real mac or hack - they have EFIs too)

Switch "off" your secure boot, and leave it. Switch it back "on" if your going back to Windows!!! 

And now a little "sidehacking": It won't boot if you didn't feed your clover on the stick with the necessary files mentioned here and in all the other SF1 threads...i assume you are a bloody hackintosh beginner (correct me if i am wrong)... As i told the thread-owner ;) ... "You dont read enough!" Go on and read the other threads also... this is no hit and run. you will have a learning curve. So i still learn.

One more thing: There is no straighter way as described here. IT IS ALREADY THE ESSENCE OF THE ESSENCE. No need for "purification". And it works. (And read the other threads...didi i mention that? ;) )

Trunk'd for space

I am going to attempt to ask for help again..

So after doing much more reading it seems as though el cap will not allow clover or DiskUtil to create any partitions on an MBR formatted USB stick.. if you format it as an GUID Clover is able to created the EFI partition and allow for a bootable media with EL Cap but I have not tried with sierra just yet. Can I ask what version of OSX you used when preping your USB stick for Sierra? Also Any extra steps no matter how little you might have had to perform as I Think my surface is a trouble maker it is also one of the very first produced.

Hi can the Sierra EFI files, Kexts & Kextdrop files be used on a Surface Pro 2?

My Surface Pro 2 (SP2) can initialize can the setup part but can't complete it and I'm not sure if this guide would work with SP2. I hope that I can find a way to get it work soon and then I can test those files.

Update: I used different guide and worked with my SP2! I tested and confirmed that AastarFWLoader kext and Kext Drop works on SP2. I will test two other kexts soon.

Successfully installed on the microSD card of my Surface Pro 1. Some trouble with the Graphique Card, washed white and artefacts, just change the injectedid from 0x0a006601 to 0x0a006604 in the config.plist.

Thanks for the Guide

• 1 month later...

Couldn't get the installer to work. I followed all the steps exactly, and managed to boot the Surface (with -v) to a flickering gray screen with a beachball. I've let it sit there for 40 minutes, and it just hangs on that screen. I can't get it to boot with -x, and disabling InjectIntel doesn't stop the flickering. i5 128GB model.

Edit: This DSDT.aml is broken and doesn't let the machine boot. The ones present in the El Capitan thread work. Still can't reliably get the white halo to not show, it usually takes a couple of restarts to get a fully working display.

• Like 1

Hello guys.

This guide is very good. My Surface Pro runs very well.

The only problem is the Bluetooth. The internal Hardware is recognized with the DSDT from the El Capitan thread.

Searching for devices works without problems.

But when I want to connect it says "It was not possible to establish a connection" (in german).

I tried a Bluetooth mouse and my iPhone 6s.

Any advice what to try next?

My Surface Pro 2 (SP2) can initialize can the setup part but can't complete it and I'm not sure if this guide would work with SP2. I hope that I can find a way to get it work soon and then I can test those files.

Update: I used different guide and worked with my SP2! I tested and confirmed that AastarFWLoader kext and Kext Drop works on SP2. I will test two other kexts soon.

Would you happen to have a link to the working guide? Struggling to get the sp2 to load into the installer.

• 2 weeks later...