[Guide] Clean 10.12.2 Sierra installation on the Surface Pro 1

Savoury.Monkey

76 posts in this topic

On 3/29/2019 at 10:44 AM, dindu5678 said:

Hi, i'm noob, but is there any step by step guide, how to install Mojave on Surface Pro (first Surface Pro ever), like on this screenshot? Thanks in advance.

same guide works with two modifications. 1. change the word "Sierra" to "Mojave", 2. when format the hard disk, format it to apfs. everything else is the same to me.

On 4/6/2019 at 2:51 PM, xflier said:

same guide works with two modifications. 1. change the word "Sierra" to "Mojave", 2. when format the hard disk, format it to apfs. everything else is the same to me.

Thanks, but there is broken links in OP, how can i download Mojave or Sierra install files (Mojave.app?)?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest ricoc90
On 6/29/2019 at 11:33 AM, dindu5678 said:

Is it safe to update to Catalina (beta)?

I'd say try it out and share your findings :lol:

On 7/9/2019 at 9:05 AM, ricoc90 said:

I'd say try it out and share your findings :lol:

I tried update to Catalina beta3, but i cannot even update to Mojave or High Sierra... so i'm stuck at Sierra. Anyway everything is working as it should, even Bluetooth and display brightness (with Brightness app in tray).

Guest ricoc90
1 hour ago, dindu5678 said:

I tried update to Catalina beta3, but i cannot even update to Mojave or High Sierra... so i'm stuck at Sierra. Anyway everything is working as it should, even Bluetooth and display brightness (with Brightness app in tray).

Hmm. High Sierra and Mojave ran fine on mine. I'll see if I am able to run Catalina later tonight

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2019 at 7:10 PM, ricoc90 said:

Hmm. High Sierra and Mojave ran fine on mine. I'll see if I am able to run Catalina later tonight

So any news? Can you post your EFI folder? Every time I'm trying something newer then Sierra it will never boot... Thanks dude

Guest ricoc90
5 hours ago, dindu5678 said:

So any news? Can you post your EFI folder? Every time I'm trying something newer then Sierra it will never boot... Thanks dude

Sorry bud, I'm having issues with my volume rocker (it's not responding to volume down) which means that I'm unable to boot from USB. 
I'll look into it later today

edit: Installing Mojave as we speak

Edited by ricoc90

Guest ricoc90
16 hours ago, dindu5678 said:

Mojave 10.14.6 installed in a breeze. I do have a couple of issues that I need to look into, but in short:

1. Download Mojave
  2. Create the USB installer (see post #1)
  3. Download the latest Clover and install it onto the ESP of the USB
  4. Copy over your config, kexts, DSDT et cetera
  5. Boot the USB
  6. Install Mojave

I've not encountered a single issue while installing.
The only issues I'm currently having is:

1. Bluetooth not working
  2. Brightness slider not working (Fixed)

Once I figured these out I'll post my EFI folder and write a more detailed guide.

Edited by ricoc90

Guest ricoc90

@dindu5678 I can't manage to get Bluetooth working.
Also I had to remove EAPDFix.kext otherwise my audio would not work.

When I have the time I'll look into it but sadly that won't be anytime soon.

The steps are identical to the one from #1 with only minor differences:

1. The recent Clover has changed it's directory structure. All drivers should be under \Drivers\UEFI as seen in the attached CLOVER folder
  2. Instead of using the patched AppleHDA I am using Lilu + AppleALC
Spoiler

446723433_Schermafbeelding2019-07-26om05_53_33.png.d65798d44343b5108fdb2221ef5452c9.png

CLOVER.zip

Edited by ricoc90

On 7/22/2018 at 3:44 PM, RayFlower said:

First of all, thank you very much for your guide, it was very helpful. It's been a few months since I've hackintoshed it and I did manage to dig up a dsdt that supports bluetooth. From which thread, I am not certain but I will attach it for posterity. However for those of you that struggle with the lack of reliable sleep on your surface, which essentially renders it useless as a tablet, there is great news, as hibernation now works with clover and osx. I've attached lilu.kext and hibernationfixup.kext which will enable you to take advantage of the hibernation functionality. Place them in your EFI/kext/'osversion' folder. For this to work it is however essential that you don't have EmuVariableUefi-64.efi installed as a efi plugin as it relies entirely on native nvram. Proceed by opening your terminal and input: 

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 25

Put your surface to sleep, it will suspend your surface and save your memory into /private/var/vm/sleepimage and shut down. Once it has been properly shut down, push the power button and let it boot up 'Macos (hibernated)'. You'll be presented with a black screen, but don't panic, just push and hold the power button for two seconds and your session will be restored. 

In other news, I've purchased the touch-base drivers. They were kind enough to weed out the clip on keyboard issue at my request. For the most part, the touch experience with these drivers is 'okay', however the lack of a proper pop-up on screen keyboard makes the experience a little tedious.

Surface.zip

20 hours ago, ricoc90 said:

Mojave 10.14.6 installed in a breeze. I do have a couple of issues that I need to look into, but in short:

1. Download Mojave
  5. Boot the USB
  6. Install Mojave

1. Bluetooth not working
  2.  Brightness slider not working (Fixed)

Once I figured these out I'll post my EFI folder and write a more detailed guide.

Dude RayFlower posted on second page, his Surface.zip archive with proper .dsdt (with working Bluetooth module), you can take a look, I am using it on Sierra without any problems. Anyway thanks.

Guest ricoc90
21 minutes ago, dindu5678 said:

Dude RayFlower posted on second page, his Surface.zip archive with proper .dsdt (with working Bluetooth module), you can take a look, I am using it on Sierra without any problems. Anyway thanks.

I know but it does not work under Mojave

On 7/26/2019 at 9:59 AM, ricoc90 said:

I know but it does not work under Mojave

Too bad :(. Anyways i have used your clover folder to boot High Sierra (I have just replaced dsdt to bluetooth one to make BT work), everything is working, expect white washed screen (tint over screen). I cannot fix it, seems like it is related to backlight or AppleIntelFrameBufferCapri...

Guest ricoc90
8 hours ago, dindu5678 said:

Too bad :(. Anyways i have used your clover folder to boot High Sierra (I have just replaced dsdt to bluetooth one to make BT work), everything is working, expect white washed screen (tint over screen). I cannot fix it, seems like it is related to backlight or AppleIntelFrameBufferCapri...

I'll install High Sierra later to day to take a look

Edit: Installed High Sierra and I don't have that issue. In case you installed ACPIBacklight kext then remove it. I'm using WhatEverGreen.

I do seem to miss something because also in High Sierra I do not have Bluetooth working.

Edited by ricoc90

On 7/29/2019 at 11:59 AM, ricoc90 said:

I'll install High Sierra later to day to take a look

Edit: Installed High Sierra and I don't have that issue. In case you installed ACPIBacklight kext then remove it. I'm using WhatEverGreen.

I do seem to miss something because also in High Sierra I do not have Bluetooth working.

interesting... so I have managed to install Catalina beta 4, thanks to your CLOVER folder, bluetooth not working on any dsdt. Audio works out of the box, without post install via kext dropping. Any way screen have white tint also... It was always my problem with any OS newer then Sierra.

On 7/30/2019 at 2:59 PM, dindu5678 said:

interesting... so I have managed to install Catalina beta 4, thanks to your CLOVER folder, bluetooth not working on any dsdt. Audio works out of the box, without post install via kext dropping. Any way screen have white tint also... It was always my problem with any OS newer then Sierra.

Running Mojave, with 0x0166000a (this is the only way how to avoid washed screen, no brightness and battery sadly) + Lilu + Whatevergreen, without Intel GFX Inject. BT not working. Our main problem is proper DSDT missing, with BT and correct HD4000 implementation. I have no idea how to patch DSDTs.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm trying to configure the USB stick, but the version of Clover has been updated to a point where I can't find where I should make the customizations. 

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Lance

I'm trying to configure the USB stick, but the version of Clover has been updated to a point where I can't find where I should make the customizations. 

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Lance

• 1 month later...
On 5/21/2020 at 1:11 AM, Technology & more said:

My Surface Pro 1 hangs at either a white screen, or a white screen with a spinning beachball. I have tried other platform id's, but with no success.

Help would be appreciated—Jonas

hi can you give me a copy of your full EFI i'm looking at?

On 5/21/2020 at 1:11 AM, Technology & more said:

My Surface Pro 1 hangs at either a white screen, or a white screen with a spinning beachball. I have tried other platform id's, but with no success.

Help would be appreciated—Jonas

8 hours ago, enfilator37100 said:

I discovered the issue was that I had Sierra 10.12.6, and 10.12.4 introduces the graphics issue. I have Sierra 10.12.2 installed, and I am typing this on that computer. Thank you for responding though.

On 7/25/2019 at 2:32 PM, ricoc90 said:

1. Download Mojave
  5. Boot the USB
  6. Install Mojave

1. Bluetooth not working
  2. Brightness slider not working (Fixed)

I used this with macOS Mojave, and the uploaded CLOVER folder, but it has a white tint. Any suggestions?

Thank you—Jonas