[GUIDE] Lenovo T460/T470 macOS with Clover and OpenCore

tluck

1,289 posts in this topic

@superbboy

well does BT sometimes work after sleep? i recoded some of the timing in the Broadcom kexts to address this problem - maybe the kext needs some more tweaking. 

I updated the zip today with a revised AppleALC (and Lilu) build.

This version does all the kext patching for SkyLake Graphics Framebuffer (including the dreaded DVMT KP) as well for AppleHDA that was previously done via Clover kext patch.  I chose to add the AppleALC kext as this approach/method was already patching the SKL FB and adding a variety of extra patches was a lot easier than coding them into sherlocks DVMTFixup kext - credit to sherlocks as this gave me the inspiration! 

So with this new method, there is no need to add FakeID 12345678 for installing fresh etc. Just copy all these kexts to the ESP of your HD and your installer USB. It will use full SKL GFX during the installer phase now! I tested by installing 10.12.4 from scratch and then added the 10.12.5 beta updates. so far so good!

To move to this package:

use the new config.plist and merge/add your own custom items such as MLB/ROM item

install/replace the kexts in

1) ESP Other and

2) to your HD in /Library/Extensions

I made some more progress and tried and would like to share this:

Good news:

- This setup does work for an X260 also - exactly the same build and all that - so its as is compatible for T460 and X260 ( verified ). This includes all DSDTs, premade ones and self mades - thats pretty awesome!

Glichtes:

- you should make clear in your ACPI guide, that SSDT must _stiil_ be copied from the patched folder of your ESP, since they are not generated during the patching. Generating own ACPI tables and patching them does for now only generate a DSDT.aml, no SSDTs at all. That said, the system will not boot without the SSDTs, it will only boot with intelinject/fakeid eventhough the framebuffer patch is included. So those files are for now needed and that needs to be in that guide i guess

- your install_acpi.bash requires the EFI partition to be mounted in /Volumes/ESP, while you do automount using espmount.bash 0 - this does mount it as /Volumes/ESP-0 if any other ESP partition is found in addition, be it the boot stick, a seconds OS or whatever. That said, it should rather not automount but check that /Volumes/ESP exists ( so is mounted ) and require the user to do so otherwise (or install fail )

- SSDT would never be used for patching, they are never used from the ACPI-tables. Probably that is what you wanted?

Fixed scripts:

- Scripts have 'set -e' and have been made a bit more robust

- i moved the initial iasl -dl ... SS* DD* command into the create command and fixed some glitches with result folders not being there yet, so it can be removed from the tutorial to make it simpler

- if /Volumes/ESP does not exist, do warn the user and fail in install_acpi.bash

- do no longer require iasl to be local (./iasl), since iasl is required to be in $PATH by the patchmatic_auto_patch.bash script anyway

You find both scripts here https://gist.github.com/EugenMayer/0053f5ad70d8aaa4c7f720eefa29c983

I updated the zip today with a revised AppleALC (and Lilu) build.

This version does all the kext patching for SkyLake Graphics Framebuffer (including the dreaded DVMT KP) as well for AppleHDA that was previously done via Clover kext patch.  I chose to add the AppleALC kext as this approach/method was already patching the SKL FB and adding a variety of extra patches was a lot easier than coding them into sherlocks DVMTFixup kext - credit to sherlocks as this gave me the inspiration! 

So with this new method, there is no need to add FakeID 12345678 for installing fresh etc. Just copy all these kexts to the ESP of your HD and your installer USB. It will use full SKL GFX during the installer phase now! I tested by installing 10.12.4 from scratch and then added the 10.12.5 beta updates. so far so good!

To move to this package:

use the new config.plist and merge/add your own custom items such as MLB/ROM item

install/replace the kexts in

1) ESP Other and

2) to your HD in /Library/Extensions

I am kind of confused, AppleALC is for audio  right? how is that related to the Framebuffer issue / patch?

I guess for all of us which just need to know how to import the changes into our own EFI installation :

- copy <zip>/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/AppleACL.kext to <OSX>/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/AppleACL.kext

Questions:

- Should the skylakeFB_patch.bash / skylakeFB_unpatch.bash be removed from the package then? (and you should remove it from the zip... i see it has been removed from the tutorial, great job)

- do i no longer need to patch the framebuffer after the installation at all? According to your statement, that FB is now available during the installation, i guess that is the case?

- did the Lilu.kext also change?

Do you mind to put the ZIP on a github repo so contribution and change-tracking is easier?

cool about X260.

I am not sure i understand what was not clear or broke in original script - all be it not very robust i in term so of checking. 

but sure i can put in more description to what this script does.

but i will take a closer look. seem like you added some check for the ESP mount?.

thank you.

$ cat install_acpi.bash

espmount.bash 0 -> mounts disk0s1 on /Volumes/ESP

compile all DSL files

copy all SSDT.aml  and DSDT.aml files to the ESP

#!/bin/bash
#mount esp
./espmount.bash 0
#compile
./iasl -ve *.dsl
#find product name
s=$( ioreg -c FakeSMCKeyStore | grep product-name | sed -e's/"//g' ) #"product-name" = "41786UU"
productname=${s#* = }
if [[ -e /Volumes/ESP/EFI/CLOVER/OEM/$productname ]] ;
then
rm /Volumes/ESP/EFI/CLOVER/OEM/$productname/ACPI/patched/*
cp SS* DS* /Volumes/ESP/EFI/CLOVER/OEM/$productname/ACPI/patched/
else
rm /Volumes/ESP/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/*
cp SS* DS* /Volumes/ESP/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/
fi

I am kind of confused, AppleALC is for audio  right? how is that related to the Framebuffer issue / patch?

I guess for all of us which just need to know how to import the changes into our own EFI installation :

- copy <zip>/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/AppleACL.kext to <OSX>/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/AppleACL.kext

Questions:

- Should the skylakeFB_patch.bash / skylakeFB_unpatch.bash be removed from the package then? (and you should remove it from the zip... i see it has been removed from the tutorial, great job)

- do i no longer need to patch the framebuffer after the installation at all? According to your statement, that FB is now available during the installation, i guess that is the case?

- did the Lilu.kext also change?

Do you mind to put the ZIP on a github repo so contribution and change-tracking is easier?

i will post on GitHub.

yes the AppleALC.kext is for Audio - the patching to make audio work touches a few kexts like AppleHDA.kext and AppleIntelSLKGraphicsFramebuffer.kext

although in our case in general the mods are in HDA. But since we need to have some other patches for SKL - we can use this same method.

Lilu does the hard work. 

so the manual SKL patch un-patch process is no longer needed. 

the fakeID 12345678 should not be needed anymore either

you can use _kext-install.command script or copy each kext to the ESP and HD

Hi

Having successfully installed each update that has been posted here on this thread, the last one has completely broken my setup. It won't startup without the FakeID and once it does, the graphics are jumpy and glitchy.

I think I'm going to have to restart from scratch :(

(BTW, I've made no other changes to the system, only installed updates) 

@thedeliveryboy

sorry this update is causing problems.

did you install the new kexts on the HD in /Library/Extensions and ESP/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other and update your config.plist?

the FakeID method will get you running with bogus/limited graphics.

if this new method of patching SKL is not working, then you can revert to the old method.

the old method:

1) boot clover with config.noSKL.plist (uses bogus ID)

2) patch the SKL FB with the skylakeFB_patch.bash script

3) reboot clover with config.patchSKL.plist (use Clover to patch SKL FB and AppleHDA)

4) un-patch the SKL FB skylakeFB_unpatch.bash script

@superbboy

well does BT sometimes work after sleep? i recoded some of the timing in the Broadcom kexts to address this problem - maybe the kext needs some more tweaking. 

Yes, BT sometimes work several minutes after sleep and then got not available.

Little update:

After putting in the BCM94352Z DW1560 Wifi chip

- WiFi works, after sleep and hibernate

- BT works, after sleep and hibernate

In general, its very robust over all, not having any crashes or issue at all, that baby is running like a very nice device.

@tluck i happy to help you with the scripts but not using a ZIP file. Choose bitbucken/gitlab or github and i will happily provide you pull request so you can track and understand changes. In a forum, thats just nonsense.

A soon as you have it on github, tell me the link and a join you there.

Great work so far, really!

Hello! I have an broadcom 94350zae ngff with device ID 43a3

No luck ar all!Tried all methods possible on earth spend 2 full days trying methods and combined between ...

I have some pictures with errors but i can not correlate them with the method used...

My version of t460 has i3-6100u cpu and 1366x768 with last version of sierra installed.

Is there any way you could help me?   

Here is ioreg copy

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B88igM0kQ0zvV3dwbzFSY3JSNVk

Evrything ealse is working fine!

Thx for your work!

It seems it tries to load at start up but no success.With or without or combinations between methods...Tried also on el capitan. The card was present and recognized but can not turn on to find networks.What card are you using now?By the way...I think fn keys are on SB.PCI0.LPC.KBD not on SB.PCI0.LPC.PS2K...Could you chek?

A piece of advice and a request for help here in the same message...

Dual boot with Windows 10 has been a pain since the beginning.

First I used Paragon HFS+, bad idea, it corrupted my OS X partition and had to re-install from zero. It seems to be a known issue, it can mess your OS X drive tomorrow or in a year, which is not comforting at all. Stay away from that software.

Second I inadvertently updated Windows 10, the bloody thing started downloading stuff and rebooting the computer without me doing anything, and messed the EFI partition so I had to boot from the usb install disk and fix the EFI. 

Big problem comes here. I had been using the Huawei M906S WWAN following @barrrt instructions (thank you!), it worked flawlessly. Just before updating Windows 10 I had tested the WWAN card and it worked perfectly. After rebooting and fixing the EFI partition the Huawei no longer works on OS X

I've tried everything to no avail (uninstalling and installing kexts again, even physically removing the WWAN card, and several combinations of the former). The card is somehow locked, it is detected by the system but I get an error message every time I try to connect (phone line is not detected, it connects and disconnects very quickly). 

I know @thedeliveryboy and @barrrt are using this card. Have you had any problem with Windows messing with your card? Any ideas? It's really annoying, I'm erasing the Windows partition and using Virtual Box instead. I don't actually use Windows at all.

Thank you for reading this.

---------------

SOLVED: It's really simple, do not disconnect the wwan modem before exiting windows it somehow shuts down the modem and doesn't allow it to work properly on OS X. That's about it. I hope it helps anyone, I was going crazy...

P.S. If you want to get rid of those pesky automatic updates in Windows 10 set on tour Wi-Fi metered connection so it won't force downloads over a metered network.

well good to know.

as a note, i have not had issues a lot with Windows 10.  i dual boot on several laptops. They way i configure my ESP is to have Microsoft along side Clover. and they leave each other alone. BIOS is set to boot Clover and not windows manager.

the ESP layout is this:

Windows10

/Volumes/ESP/EFI/Microsoft/Boot (BCD, bootmgrw.efi...)

OSX

/Volumes/ESP/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.efi (which is what is actually booted by UEFI)

/Volumes/ESP/EFI/CLOVER ....

Note: i put my UUID info for the ESP into the config.plist to custom identify the partition as my Windows option (see config.plist for placeholder)

my disk layout is very simple - i create the "windows" partition with GPT to keep the PBMR in place.

I just resize my disk to create space.... the new sierra disk tools are a bit brain-dead.

but you can create a OSX partition, remove it and then remake as NTFS.

GTP will list the location, size or space available and i just plug into the script

$ diskutil list

/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *512.1 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS macOS                   459.7 GB   disk0s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3
   4:       Microsoft Basic Data C                       51.5 GB    disk0s4

$ sudo gpt -r show disk0
       start        size  index  contents
           0           1         PMBR
           1           1         Pri GPT header
           2          32         Pri GPT table
          34           6        
          40      409600      1  GPT part - C12A7328-F81F-11D2-BA4B-00A0C93EC93B
      409640   897856512      2  GPT part - 48465300-0000-11AA-AA11-00306543ECAC
   898266152     1269536      3  GPT part - 426F6F74-0000-11AA-AA11-00306543ECAC
   899535688   100679488      4  GPT part - EBD0A0A2-B9E5-4433-87C0-68B6B72699C7
  1000215176           7        
  1000215183          32         Sec GPT table
  1000215215           1         Sec GPT header

boot recovery from USB or boot from and run this create script (cannot be main disk but 2nd option disk)

#!/bin/bash
# add 2nd windows partition - to keep PMBR
if [[ $1 == "" ]]; then
echo usage: $0 disk
exit
fi

index=4
start=899535688
size=100679488

# make partition
diskutil unmountDisk $1

# remove if partition is already present.
# sleep 5
# sudo gpt remove -i $index  $1

sleep 5
sudo gpt add -b $start -s $size -t EBD0A0A2-B9E5-4433-87C0-68B6B72699C7 $1
sleep 3
diskutil unmountDisk $1
sudo gpt label -i $index -l "Windows" $1
sleep 3
diskutil unmountDisk $1
sudo gpt -r show $1
  • Like 1

A piece of advice and a request for help here in the same message...

Dual boot with Windows 10 has been a pain since the beginning.

First I used Paragon HFS+, bad idea, it corrupted my OS X partition and had to re-install from zero. It seems to be a known issue, it can mess your OS X drive tomorrow or in a year, which is not comforting at all. Stay away from that software.

Second I inadvertently updated Windows 10, the bloody thing started downloading stuff and rebooting the computer without me doing anything, and messed the EFI partition so I had to boot from the usb install disk and fix the EFI. 

Big problem comes here. I had been using the Huawei M906S WWAN following @barrrt instructions (thank you!), it worked flawlessly. Just before updating Windows 10 I had tested the WWAN card and it worked perfectly. After rebooting and fixing the EFI partition the Huawei no longer works on OS X

I've tried everything to no avail (uninstalling and installing kexts again, even physically removing the WWAN card, and several combinations of the former). The card is somehow locked, it is detected by the system but I get an error message every time I try to connect (phone line is not detected, it connects and disconnects very quickly). 

I know @thedeliveryboy and @barrrt are using this card. Have you had any problem with Windows messing with your card? Any ideas? It's really annoying, I'm erasing the Windows partition and using Virtual Box instead. I don't actually use Windows at all.

Thank you for reading this.

---------------

SOLVED: It's really simple, do not disconnect the wwan modem before exiting windows it somehow shuts down the modem and doesn't allow it to work properly on OS X. That's about it. I hope it helps anyone, I was going crazy...

P.S. If you want to get rid of those pesky automatic updates in Windows 10 set on tour Wi-Fi metered connection so it won't force downloads over a metered network.

Hi Espamac

I will try your suggestion. My WWAN modem just stopped working one day and all attempts to revive it have failed.

Thanks

TDB

• 2 weeks later...

im having a couple of issues with this install. first of all thank you so much tluck.

i have a t460s, so i have patched and compiled my own dsdt and ssdt hopefully correctly.

however, my graphics hd520 is reporting 7mb and i am trying all i can, but i am unable to correct this. i know its to do with dvmt, but as you cant change that in bios, it has to be minstolensize patch, and ive used your config file but its not working.

also, i cannot get brightness sorted no matter what i try. i have no brightness slider and therefore f5 and f6 brightness keys arent working.

ive looked at ssdts, but im lost a bit there. i cant inject applebacklight as i cant get my edid even though ive tried ioreg commands.

thanks for helping. ive attached my clover file.im pretty sure there are a few things wrong in it, but you never know what you could find and suggest.

CLOVER.zip

@Munzab - 

your config.plist has a broken structure that maybe part of the problem. perhaps start from the original version in the zip to see what patches you need add.  i suggest PlistEditor Pro.

i just pushed a new release 4077 that uses RehabMan's DVMT patch frame buffer method in AppleALC. or you can manually patch the frame buffer as outlined in the guide to get up and running and then fine tune the patch method later.

@Munzab - 

your config.plist has a broken structure that maybe part of the problem. perhaps start from the original version in the zip to see what patches you need add.  i suggest PlistEditor Pro.

i just pushed a new release 4077 that uses RehabMan's DVMT patch frame buffer method in AppleALC. or you can manually patch the frame buffer as outlined in the guide to get up and running and then fine tune the patch method later.

thanks for your help, ill give 4077 a try later on and rebuild acpi etc then.

can i ask you what part of the config appears damaged?i might be able to go from there.

the NVME kext patches you added seem to have bogus characters. cut them out and put then into a editor to generate pure ascii

Thanks for the suggestion. Ill try that athough i copied them from pike's site straight. Will see what it can do if i put hem straight in clover configurator

the NVME kext patches you added seem to have bogus characters. cut them out and put then into a editor to generate pure ascii

Thanks for the suggestion. Ill try that athough i copied them from pike's site straight. Will see what it can do if i put hem straight in clover configurator

ive redone the config.plist (i figured it was broken as i couldnt open it with clover configurator. all values are the same and it now opens in clover configurator. 

Now it wont boot and stops at the given image. as far as i can see, both config.plist are the same, but i am open to correction for any glaring misses.

thanks

ive attached the clover zip with the current kp and the image.

post-66673-0-88135500-1495622659_thumb.jpg

CLOVER.zip

post-66673-0-49171300-1495630300_thumb.jpg

well it seems gfx is not coming up!?

perhaps download the 4077 zip - which now uses AppleALC kext  to do all the Graphics patching ( and Audio patching. )

the corresponding clover patches are disabled.

so

boot up with gfx id 0x12345678

and download install the latest 4077 kexts in /L/E

replace the config.plist with the attached file in ESP

reboot

attached is a config.plist with the NVME patches you added to the orig config.plist in the zip

note: i am not a user of cover configurator (as it adds quite a bit of stuff)

thank you, that did not work. i believe looking for root device is coming up now. however, since its gone so messy, i will restart from scratch. in your zip, clover is 4076, not 4077. will that make an issue?

i can boot without any problems at all using the usb made from your guide. graphics has become an issue while it wasnt before, and also i appear not to be able to write to the usb disk from the booted os x, which means something went wrong with sata somewhere.

thank you very much tluck. the newest files are working. i gave up on using the nvme ssd and using a normal ssd m2 now so its booted fine. i believe the graphics and the nvme were not working which resulted in the issues.

acpibacklight appears to work as well following your script so i am grateful for such detailed expertise.

next step is now imessage and facetime. thanks!

• Like 1

can someone help me out. im a total noob to this stuff. ive been reading for last 2 days and finally managed to get what i think is a bootable usb w/ sierra and clover on it. i have a t460 non touch screen display with an i5 6200u processor. when i boot off the usb i get the follow error 

i would get a circle w/ a line and adding a -v for verbose it spits the following message out: 

"this version of mac os x is not supported on this platform"

internet says you can use no_compat_check and i can get into the osx sierra installer. after partioning my ssd, sierra install will say that os is already installed on it. people are saying its because im booting on the no_compat_check that could be causing it. 

any ideas? the instructions are a bit confusing, and im not sure if i'm missing steps. any help would be greatly appreciated!