Pandora's Box III

Micky1979

247 posts in this topic

Wait, I want to do a test.. I'll add the video to a normal html page... some seconds (40 sec)

EDIT

Restart Webkintosh and select the video under "Usefull links". Let me know..

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask. But I am following the Youtube guid and I was able to successfully install OSX into my USB stick and I then installed Clover afterwards.

But I'm a confused with the next next step. After installing Clover, an EFI "drive" appeared in my  Desktop (same as the Youtube guide). But my EFI drive is empty. The one on the video is not. I did have a looked at the USB stick and there is an EFI folder there. During clover installation though, I choose the legacy option (legacy BIOS here - x58 motherboard).

Also I was running Pandora on 2 Macbooks. One running Yosemite and the other running El Capitan.

Thanks for the reply :)

update:

1. tried installing clover using the package file from sourceforge. a. UEFI option gave me an EFI "drive" with an EFI folder inside it. b. legacy option didn't create an "EFI" drive but it did have an EFI folder in main USB partition.

2. I then tried UEFI option using Pandora and it also created an "EFI" drive but it's empty.

In all testing, I erased my drive and created the USB installer using Hermes.

Thanks again

2 possibilities for the legacy

-1 Tick ESP

this allows to write in EFI

-2 Uncheck ESP

this allows to write to standard partition

can you please explain ESP?

from what I can see when installing clover using the sourceforge package, I cannot select ESP unless I also select UEFI option.

thanks again! :)

Sir can I have the "Clover_Install_Log.txt" you can find inside ~/InsanelyBox folder?

The differences beteween Ares.app and the Clover package is big:

Ares has an entire and advanced framenwork to handle disks and volumes, so can install directly to the EFI partition. The fact that you can see the EFI partition mounted is because Ares check it and instantly try to mount it before do anything. This way know in advance if something goes wrong.

A .pkg file is not an app nor a program, but simply a xar archive used by the built-in installer.app coming with OS X. Inside this archive you can find the "Distribution" file that is an xml file where installer.app can find info and make it appear some options to be selectable. Also, the creator of the package can insert some Java functions to retrieve some info about your system... and the Clover package has this one:

function systemHasGPT(){		var obj = system.ioregistry.matchingName("EFI System Partition");		if (obj)			return true;		return false;	}
it looks inside your registry to ensure if the current start-up disk is GPT or otherwise (ie has an EFI partition or not). Not sure this is the problem for you, because here I can select "Install Clover in the ESP" w/o selecting the UEFI only option.

Regarding Ares, the app should be able to install in the ESP ...if you have checked the relative option, otherwise it should install in the selected partition. OR you can select the ESP directly, thing that the official package can't do due to installer.app that disallow this. Clover package use a workaround (symlink).

If this does not happen is a bug, but I need for the log, Thanks

EDIT

ESP = EFI System Partition

let me try it again and get the log. what's the recommended clover installation for a legacy setup (x58 board using legacy BIOS. at least I believe it is legacy)

thanks again

update: I am trying to install clover via Aries and I cannot select ESP on it's own (just like Clover package in sourceforge). It can only be selected if UEFI booting is available.

If Ares can't and Clover pkg can't... then you have a problem with your System or device (the target disk). Can you show me a screen capture of Ares after selecting your drive like below?

post-674334-0-61946300-1460658640_thumb.png

maybe I can see something..

I thought the same thing, but there may be other problems with AMD kernel. From Ares screen I can see if there were trouble mounting it, if the filesystem is correct, if the volume uuid is correct etc..

Also I can see if the ESP is the slice nr 1 (do not assume that it is always)

• 2 weeks later...

Having an issue running the app. After entering password to install the helper I can't run "Create Installer". Seems the helper didn't install as this is in Console,

25/04/2016 22:13:45.721 smd[29518]: App "com.InsanelyMac.Pandora" did not pass helper check "com.InsanelyMac.PandoraHelper".
25/04/2016 22:13:45.722 Pandora[29554]: The operation couldn’t be completed. (CFErrorDomainLaunchd error 4.)

Hi Shaneee this is the same error experience by spakk during internal beta testing using a patched AMD kernel. BTW was happening only on the older AMD cpu he had, I guess.

Sorry but I don't have a cure since I'm just using the reccomended API by Apple to install the helper tool... but in this case the helper is not trusted by the kernel...

maybe is a timeout error so try to reinstall the helper tool (look at the menu) more than one time consecutively  ..a lot of times..

That's a shame. It worked in the testing but I've changed the kernel I'm using since then. Do you have a copy of an older version? I will try that too.

Edit: Is it possible to manually install the helper? 

The Helper tool is a server that communicate with Pandora and other apps bundeled inside it and can perform privileged tasks because trusted by the OS after comparing the code signature of the helper and the apps. No way to manually install it sorry.

No AMD kernel here, I've deleted everything about, sorry

• 3 weeks later...