[Guide] Surface Pro 1st gen El Capitan clean installation

JahStories

220 posts in this topic

For Virtual-Keyboard issues: Keyup (http://www.irradiatedsoftware.com) is a nice one too... and is free, and supported through the touchbase-driver (to trigger it).

I recently talked to the dev. And he will update it (with cool new look and "feel") in the near future.

my2ct ;)

EDIT:

Is anyone using another resolution than 1920x1080 or 1280x720 HiDpi? Since 10.11.4 it is refusing to use my good old 1366 x 768 HiDpi via switchresX...

Yup. Tried Keyup but really didn't like it. Maybe it'll work better once it's updated, but for for now I don't find it usable. It's too tall and in the way. Also it doesn't have predictive text.

I think the keyboard built in to the OS under Switch Control is 1000x better once customised, and it might also make it possible to make onscreen controls for games (like in iOS), since the keyboard can emulate mouse controls too. I've tested it out and works in theory, the only problem being that keys don't repeat once pressed.

I'm talking to the Touch-Base guys about adding support for it in UPDD Gestures.

Screenshot of keymap with high transparency in Stick of Truth: http://rhy.no/hackintosh/gaming%20keymap.tiff

(Not really usable because of the repeat issue, but working on a solution)

• Like 1

I did some testing and managed to modify JahStories DSDT from looking at myr1s to get BlueTooth working under El Capitan since when I used myr1s it seemed the display panel was not found correctly among other issues.

It is counter to most DSDT edits that I have usually done but it appears simply renaming the XHC and EHC* to USB* solved the issue. Obviously it is somehow related to the new USB stack in El Capitan, and while it does not make any sense it seems to work.

Attached are two modified DSDTs, DSDT_no_PWR.aml and DSDT_w_PWR.aml. DSDT_w_PWR.aml includes the _PWR Methods in the USB* devices, I am not sure if this will break sleep so if it does try DSDT_no_PWR.aml.

Good luck!

Yeah, big thanks. Got my BT back, works awesome. (...always on. Cant switch if off... but BT back, woot.)

Just to report: 

DSDT_no_PWR.aml : Fast Boot, battery fine, BT works, screen resolution as selected via SwitchresX, display no problems, shut down fast (<5sec.)  <-- this one "feels" very clean and snappy!!! Perfect!

DSDT_w_PWR.aml : Slow Boot (>2min.), no battery detected, BT works, screen resolution at 1920x1080, chobby grafx, shut down slow (>1min.)

Sleep doesnt work in both, the screen gets black but the led of my wifi-dongle is still active, blinking. I think this should stop while sleeping.

Edited by caleidosCope

I used the guide to install El Capitan on my SP1, and managed to get it booting from the internal drive, and got my USB Wifi working as well.  The display color and resolution seems more or less fine, but system animations, and lots of websites (especially sites like YouTube) are very choppy, as if there is no hardware acceleration in the graphics driver.

Is this as good as it's going to be right now, or have I missed something in my install?  I read the whole thread in addition to the original Mavericks guide but I got lost along the way and I'm not sure what I should be expecting here.

If anyone could point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it, thanks!

Hi. It seems to me that you did maybe "too much". After install of OSX, first boot install Clover on your HD, drop the kexts provided in the pack to the designated folder, drop your config.plist, dsdt and ssdt to the designated places. With Kextdrop or else just drop the AppleHDA.kext (i didnt need to erase/replace the ...capri.kext.) Reboot.

IMHO: Dont mess to much with kextdrop if you can use the kextinjection via Clover.

A Tipp: I am lazy, i copied some tools to the bootstick (...Clover Configurator, Kextdrop etc...) to a folder, including a copy of the EFI-Partition from the boot-stick (all the folders - copy, and paste ;) ). If i am on desktop after first boot, i copy the tools-folder over to my desktop. Open Clover Configurator, mount EFI. The EFI that is already there from OSX - Fine. now via copy and paste, merge your EFI-folder-copy-from-the-stick into the Osx-EFI (leave the Apple-folder where it is ;)). Now the AppleHDA.kext-Drop for Audio, Done. (This helps you get rid of the problem that you messed up something with the files - if it works on the stick, it works on the EFI-Partition on your HD - just copy and paste!!!)

Hope this helps you.

BTW: Any progress in the MiniDisplayPort-Discussion? (Then i would be fine...like on Yosemite).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just for those who do want audio input working, I installed the latest VoodooHDA and it now in and out work fine (noise reduction on input must be set to full in the voodoo preference panel, there is still some ambient noise, completely useable though. Don't know how good the mic is to begin with though). Volume button still works of course, don't know about input switching.

I'm getting some kind of conflict with the touch-base drivers though, once they load the volume buttons stop working, and that happens regardless of voodooHDA or AppleHDA

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

mini display port is back on my system!!! (thanks to coasda!!!)

This is the solution that worked for me: HD4000 kext Surface Pro 1 El Capitan 10.11.1 1.0

Dont miss the screenshot in the post, you need to edit your DSDT. Then drop the KEXT. Reboot.

Just testet: HDMI Audio, works. 

@JahStories: maybe you have to edit the first post:  "[don't use this dual screen kext if you are on a version newer than 10.11.1]   Is not true!"    

Maybe you had a reason for this quote?! Let us now. ;)

• Like 1

...next and final on the todo (beside the internal wifi ;) ) are the Volume rockers... 

I use the touchbase-drivers. My VolumeRockers dont work. They state its not touchbase related. I have seen that it is touchbase related. The rockers used to work while i had some struggeling with TB-drivers and uninstalled them. I have no other clue... There are three devices to chose from (Amtel, Pen1, and Pen2 --> this is IMHO the attached keyboard).

My question now is: Are the VolumeRockers and the MS-Keyboard on the same USB?

I am seraching on my 2nd Surface (win10) for the "device", but there is nothing but HID-Keyboard and Surface Type Cover Filter Device.

...next and final on the todo (beside the internal wifi ;) ) are the Volume rockers...

I use the touchbase-drivers. My VolumeRockers dont work. They state its not touchbase related. I have seen that it is touchbase related. The rockers used to work while i had some struggeling with TB-drivers and uninstalled them. I have no other clue... There are three devices to chose from (Amtel, Pen1, and Pen2 --> this is IMHO the attached keyboard).

My question now is: Are the VolumeRockers and the MS-Keyboard on the same USB?

I am seraching on my 2nd Surface (win10) for the "device", but there is nothing but HID-Keyboard and Surface Type Cover Filter Device.

I dont have touchbase drivers and the volume buttons works fine.touch works but i dont have the gestures..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Double-click will not open files in finder

Hi. I got a strange thing happening here. If i try to open a file by double-clicking, it seems to, but will not open a .rtf or else.

If i Terminal this:

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user

everything is fine until reboot.

How can i fix this permanently?

I just tried a fresh install of 10.11.5. I keep getting stuck at "about a second remaining"... Looks like I will need to do an earlier 10.11 install and use the combo upgrade.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

I just tried a fresh install of 10.11.5. I keep getting stuck at "about a second remaining"... Looks like I will need to do an earlier 10.11 install and use the combo upgrade.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

I was able to successfully perform a clean install of 10.11.5, but could not get the display to work correctly (screen was washed-out). Going back to windows for now.

Hey,

I can not solve a problem (unknown to me). Here is a screenshot of the installation.

uyN9B7x.jpg

Just after my screen freezes with a new line "Still waiting for root device" and a logo "forbidden".

Thanks.

Hey,

I can not solve a problem (unknown to me). Here is a screenshot of the installation.

uyN9B7x.jpg

Just after my screen freezes with a new line "Still waiting for root device" and a logo "forbidden".

Thanks.

seems like you missed to drop some kext to your dsdt-Folder on the stick...and/or check the configplists that were posted here... don't use save mode to install. It should run ... straight of.

I was able to successfully perform a clean install of 10.11.5, but could not get the display to work correctly (screen was washed-out). Going back to windows for now.

What did you do (boot loader etc.) after your first boot?

Hello,

I think I did exactly as the tutorial. Here is how I did :

First, I move all files from the archive (left) to the key where clover is (right).

X0lcn7a.jpg

Next, I boot with to usb stick, one with clover and one with el capitan :

mvRX0s6.jpg

But i have always same error :

wVCx5KA.jpg

You told me of "kexts" badly injected, I found this:

I2IKSSY.png

So what can i do now ?

Thanks for your help..

Two sticks? Is that necessary??

Here is my bootstick. I used Diskmaker X5 (but you can find a bootstick-maker for windows).

post-1309344-0-68633400-1467918855_thumb.png

post-1309344-0-42640400-1467918872_thumb.png

post-1309344-0-64179500-1467918894_thumb.png

post-1309344-0-43596600-1467928221_thumb.png

Above you can see, which drivers to install with Clover!!!

Any differences?!

The "Tools"-Folder in the Install-Partition (non-EFI) is about my laziness... i wrote a couple of posts before.

! You need a Mac or a hackintosh to create the bootstick ! 

This is my SurfaXes-EFI (I used the Apple-EFI that was already there!!! And did not install Clover, just copied the folder from my stick):

post-1309344-0-44435100-1467929599_thumb.png