[Guide] Surface Pro 1st gen El Capitan clean installation

JahStories

220 posts in this topic

You all try out the TOUCH BAR... GitHub 

You need the virtual keyboard or an external apple keyboard to trigger the fn-key. The needed OS X update is safe, breaks Audio.

thank you for the touch bar tip caleidosCope,will try it and report back  :)

Edit :

hi caleidosCope

i have tried for the external screen but no success

can you plz upload the IOGraphicsFamily.kext (ver 2.4.1)

thank you 

• 2 weeks later...

thank you for the touch bar tip caleidosCope,will try it and report back  :)

Edit :

hi caleidosCope

i have tried for the external screen but no success

can you plz upload the IOGraphicsFamily.kext (ver 2.4.1)

thank you 

no i can't , sorry. this file is not allowed...

@caleidosCope So do you have the external display working with Sierra? Using your AppleIntelFrameBufferCapri.kext from post #176 and 

"AAPL,ig-platform-id", 
                        Buffer (0x04)
                        {
                            0x04, 0x00, 0x66, 0x01
                        },

in the DSDT only the internal display works. 

Setting the ig-platform-id to 

0x09, 0x00, 0x66, 0x01

allows the external display to work but causes the internal to fail with a severe backlight problem in which I feel left running too long might actually damage the display. (I get a halo affect on the screen on reboots if I do not let the device cool down a bit).

So if it is working for you, a few questions.,

1.) What is the ig-platform-id set to in the DSDT you are using?

2.) Can I confirm the AppleIntelFrameBufferCapri.kext you are using is the one from post #176.

3.) I see you mention you are using IOGraphicsFamily.kext (ver 2.4.1). This appears to be the same version I see in my install of Sierra (even though there is a size different form El Capitan). So assuming yours is different and you can not post it, do you know what modifications were to it to make it compatible? Do you know if it is vanilla which version of OSX it came from?

4.) Which kexts do you currently have in your 10.12 folder for CLOVER?

5.) In your config.plist do you have any binary patching settings implemented that might be related to this?

Any useful information you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks!

@caleidosCope So do you have the external display working with Sierra? Using your AppleIntelFrameBufferCapri.kext from post #176 and 

"AAPL,ig-platform-id", 
                        Buffer (0x04)
                        {
                            0x04, 0x00, 0x66, 0x01
                        },

in the DSDT only the internal display works. 

Setting the ig-platform-id to 

0x09, 0x00, 0x66, 0x01

allows the external display to work but causes the internal to fail with a severe backlight problem in which I feel left running too long might actually damage the display. (I get a halo affect on the screen on reboots if I do not let the device cool down a bit).

So if it is working for you, a few questions.,

1.) What is the ig-platform-id set to in the DSDT you are using?

2.) Can I confirm the AppleIntelFrameBufferCapri.kext you are using is the one from post #176.

3.) I see you mention you are using IOGraphicsFamily.kext (ver 2.4.1). This appears to be the same version I see in my install of Sierra (even though there is a size different form El Capitan). So assuming yours is different and you can not post it, do you know what modifications were to it to make it compatible? Do you know if it is vanilla which version of OSX it came from?

4.) Which kexts do you currently have in your 10.12 folder for CLOVER?

5.) In your config.plist do you have any binary patching settings implemented that might be related to this?

Any useful information you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hi there. All infos you are looking for, are a couple of pages away... the DSDT (Post #172) i use , the intelframebuffercapri (is the one i uploaded here). The IOGraphicsFamily.kext is IMHO not the necessary thing. I had some audio probs and black external screen on my Surfaxe. So i just kextdropped ONLY the Intelframebuffer...REBOOT... and it works again.

For the rest of your questions ... lets give the day a nite... ill be back.

Hi there. All infos you are looking for, are a couple of pages away... the DSDT (Post #172) i use , the intelframebuffercapri (is the one i uploaded here). The IOGraphicsFamily.kext is IMHO not the necessary thing. I had some audio probs and black external screen on my Surfaxe. So i just kextdropped ONLY the Intelframebuffer...REBOOT... and it works again.

For the rest of your questions ... lets give the day a nite... ill be back.

@caleidosCope I ended up getting it working. I think a kext in my 10.12 folder might have been causing a conflict the the display port. I am working on putting together a little snapshot of my EFI folder and other kexts and will attempt to pull together a short guide. It would still be useful to know what kexts you have in your 10.12 folder since I think some from the original El Capitan package may no longer be needed anymore.

Thanks again for the response. 

• Like 1

Has anyone found a way to enable screen rotation?  

Everything else is working great but I'd love to be able to rotate the display 

Edit:    rotating it in the display does work but the touch doesn't rotate making it somewhat useless..

@caleidosCope I ended up getting it working. I think a kext in my 10.12 folder might have been causing a conflict the the display port. I am working on putting together a little snapshot of my EFI folder and other kexts and will attempt to pull together a short guide. It would still be useful to know what kexts you have in your 10.12 folder since I think some from the original El Capitan package may no longer be needed anymore.

Thanks again for the response. 

post-1309344-0-07155400-1480153050_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

I just can't get any further then this, maybe I am just too stupid?!

Here's what I did so far:

-created a 10.12 installation Stick on a real Macbook

-disabled secure boot on the surface pro

-assigned a driveletter to the EFI partition

-copied over the latest Clover from the iso

-copied and replaced the files from the archive of the 1. Post

-modified the UEFI entry to 1. Boot Clover instead of the Bootmanager

-reboot, selected the OSX installation Stick and tried to boot it without injected keks

Any help would be appreciated.

post-1873467-0-02375700-1481060609_thumb.jpg

I just can't get any further then this, maybe I am just too stupid?!

Here's what I did so far:

-created a 10.12 installation Stick on a real Macbook

-disabled secure boot on the surface pro

-assigned a driveletter to the EFI partition

-copied over the latest Clover from the iso

-copied and replaced the files from the archive of the 1. Post

-modified the UEFI entry to 1. Boot Clover instead of the Bootmanager

-reboot, selected the OSX installation Stick and tried to boot it without injected keks

Any help would be appreciated.

... i never did "assigning a drive letter for the EFI partition"  ... from which "iso" you copied clover? ... 

to get further... what are your actual partitions on the surface/stick????

While booting with your USB-stick (that is partitioned into two partitions...FAT32 for EFI and Clover, and the OS X-Install-Partition... look for my posts in this thread) what do you see? Clover? 

What do you choose (in Clover) to boot?

I think your Bootstick isn't proper!!!

... sorry, but i love brackets () ;)

EDIT:

First you boot with your usb-stick (clover) and install from that stick OS X to your System-Harddisk. Then you will boot again with your stick, and run OS X from your disk... until you install clover (copy and paste from your stick) to the EFI-partition (on the System-Disk) that OS X has built for you. So far you should get.

Double check if the EFI-Partition is on the stick, beside the OS X-install-partition.

Well, I've skipped the part with partitioning the USB drive and installed Clover directly to the UEFI partition of the surface pro. Mainly because I don't have a runing osx nearby. I created the stick using a showroom Macbook at work, the downloaded Sierra app and terminal. Like described in the 1. Post.

That's the iso I used:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/files/Bootable_ISO/

And that's the guide I used to install clover directly to the SSD EFI:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/310038-manually-install-clover-in-windows/

Shouldn't make that much of a difference if i boot clover from the stick or directly from the SSD..?!

At least the stick worked on a real Macbook, an it boots on VMware.

post-1873467-0-78007900-1481063378_thumb.jpg

Shouldn't make that much of a difference if i boot clover from the stick or directly from the SSD..?!

At least the stick worked on a real Macbook, an it boots on VMware.

I am not sure... but OS X is messing with the EFI also... maybe that is your problem. Also from my sight it is inconvenient... how do you access your Clover-files installed on your System-harddisk to make changes???

What did you choose as clover-"additional"? - In one of my posts you can see a picture of my boot sticks EFI - with all installed drivers with clover... do they match with yours?

I assume ... you didn't wipe your disc, left the windows EFI where it was and installed clover there. I am not sure if this is a problem too....how did you mange that under the VM? Booting that baby in yuor VM means that all the (boot)drivers needed for the VM were delivered by your Vmware-dev.

Speaking for me... it worked. CLEAN install. Nothing on the disc. Booted from a stick, installed from this stick to the disc. Booted. Installed (copied) clover. Done. (you would do the same on a mac - without clover)

If you try a "new way"... consider you have new challenges.

You said "you skipped that part" .... think of: "it was already the easiest and straightforward or most functional method". 

Basically that means I'm starting with a pretty basic Clover. It would be a hell of a help if you could upload your clean Clover folder you used on the stick to get Sierra booting and installed so I can project it to my direct SSD way. As I said, I don't have a working copy of osx anywhere to get clover installed like you normally would to on osx. That's where your Clover UEFI folder would kick in.

That's My plan:

- obtaining a working Clover

- Install OSX to its reserved partition

- replace the 2(?) keks drivers noted in this topic

What I've done so far:

- installed Clover (the stock one, coming from the Bootable Iso file)

- placed the files from the 1. Post to the Efi/Clover folder

- read the hell out of the Internet

Seems like I'm only missing a lot drivers and stuff. I now placed "OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi" To the UEFI64 folder and got it booting. Slow as hell..

post-1873467-0-58481300-1481068097_thumb.jpg

Right. My (clean) install was 10.11 but it should work on 10.12 too... i assume you didn't read the whole thread... suggestion: DO IT!!! (then you would know how i got to my working 10.12)

Basically that means I'm starting with a pretty basic Clover. It would be a hell of a help if you could upload your clean Clover folder you used on the stick to get Sierra booting and installed so I can project it to my direct SSD way. As I said, I don't have a working copy of osx anywhere to get clover installed like you normally would to on osx. That's where your Clover UEFI folder would kick in.

That's My plan:
- obtaining a working Clover
- Install OSX to its reserved partition
- replace the 2(?) keks drivers noted in this topic

What I've done so far:
- installed Clover (the stock one, coming from the Bootable Iso file)
- placed the files from the 1. Post to the Efi/Clover folder
- read the hell out of the Internet

Seems like I'm only missing a lot drivers and stuff. I now placed "OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi" To the UEFI64 folder and got it booting. Slow as hell..

Your plan:

- If it boots so far... you got a working clover, just left over the needed drivers. I´d prefer a "install"... you have to click on "change settings" or else during install to get the drivers installed with clover (at last it is just copied in the right folder)

and btw... the install is reaaaaallllyyyy slow.

... and: many ways lead to Rome. All you need for this project IS written down here, or in the first thread from JahStories about multi booting a surfaxe. Other approaches may lead to the same result.

Compared to your directorys I'm missing a lot files. Which sucks as it seems that those are related to the installation of clover trough the pkg file, which I can't do as I don't have a working osx. Ich raste hier gleich noch aus...

And no, the setup is not starting. It just stuck at the empty progress bar.

Also mein Freund... Locker bleiben. ;) Und mach es so wie es gedacht ist. Du musst das Rad hier nicht neu erfinden. 

Am USB-Stick kannst du zur Not deine Files sogar mit Windows rumschieben. So leider nicht.

Und gewöhn Dich schonmal dran... Tu es und tu es wieder. Die Amis sagen: "learningCurve" so sind die Hackies.

Ich kann Dir nur sagen... es lohnt sich hier. ;)

UND:

Lies den Kram hier. Vieles wurde schon tausendmal gefragt und immer wieder falsch gemacht...nach dem Motto:

"Ich mache alles so wie im ersten Post... außer dem, und das, und sell... warum geht es nicht bei mir???"

UND2:

Wenn Du dir die Clover-Files (sollten auf GitHub sein) holst kannst Du bei einhalten der Ordner-Struktur, Dir Deine EFI-Partition selber basteln ... ohne MAC. Ist halt aufwändiger als am Firmen-Mac kurz den Cloverinstaller laufen zu lassen...bei mir ging das übrigens schon öfter schief. Es tat so, hat aber keine EFI-Partition erstellt.

Honestly, I'm starting to think that it's 10.12 and not my Clover configuration. I can't get for God's sake to the Setup. It boots and once the initial loading should be finished I'm stuck at the back screen with the apple logo, spinning wheel mouse pointer and that's it. Left it working the whole night and again, nothing.

I attached the verbose output and a image of the screen when it stuck.

post-1873467-0-83278800-1481098629_thumb.jpg

post-1873467-0-50852400-1481098644_thumb.jpg

I'm giving this {censored} up, sorry. This topic is a mess, the files are mostly outdated and this whole.. argh. Screw it. 

Ernsthaft, das isn Scheiß. Da steht man soll das neueste Clover benutzen, nutzt man das neueste Clover geht die Config plist nicht mehr damit, die ganzen Kext files, alle unsortiert und ohne plan kommt man da nicht weit. Es sollte echt mal jmd der da noch durchsteigt einfach nen Clover ordner zippen, hochladen und gut ists. Der OSX Stick ist schnell gemacht, auch ohne Windows und Clover ist es scheißegal ob es auf dem Stick ist, oder auf der EFI partition, dass ist das einzige was ich aus der Sache gelernt habe. Echt schade. Hab es mit 10.10,11 und 12 probiert.. Nada, es bootet einfach das Setup nicht weil ich 1. zu dämlich bin, 2. ich keinen Schimmer hab welche kext wo hin müssen und 3. ich da nicht mehr durchblicke.