[Guide] Surface Pro 1st gen El Capitan clean installation

JahStories

220 posts in this topic

@Enzorb

This topic is for the first generation not about the SP2.

@futaris

Why don't you try to replace the clovers files manually from that folder to your efi disk0s1 partition? :)

@coasda

Please don't say things when you are not sure, there isn't any error in the provided files that dozen of people are using.

And please don't suggest different installation methods or it will be a lot harder to help.

@r1c4rd0

So, I've installed the bear extender driver to use it's nice menubar utility and this is the kext but it not signed and requires to disable signature verification as said before.

RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext.zip

• Like 1

@JahStories

I'm pretty sure that with provided DSDT and clover config.plist bluetooth AvastarFwLoader.kext doesn't load. We need to work in this direction - without bluetooth we can't use peripherals like BT mouses, trackpads, keyboards. (Typecover trackpad is a {censored})

better not being too sure, files are ok...

about the kext this is what Jape wrote me:

I've finally installed 10.11.1 on my SP2 and I can confirm that the extension does not work. It seems Apple has changed the USB framework entirely and it may take me a while to fix it. Or, more accurately: rewrite it  :( 

My only idea re your question is that maybe when you upgrade from an older OSX it keeps the older USB framework around. But it's certainly not installed when clean-installing so the kext can't work.

I thought the disk0s2 / disk1 problem was related to 10.11 but my VirtualBox install is in the right place. I think it is related to Clover or the dsdt/ssdt and config.plist.

VirtualBox $ mount
/dev/disk0s2 on / (hfs, local, journaled)

JahStories $ mount
/dev/disk1 on / (hfs, local, journaled)

In any case, running it on a Virtual Machine is a lot more useful for me.  Metal seems to make it responsive enough, even without a real OpenGL card.  It is a lot faster than a 10.10.5 or 10.9 VM.

I don't really want to have to run OS X native, and then run another Virtual Machine for the USB Wifi/BT combo, for connectivity and Bluetooth. Running a Windows VM or Linux VM, with Synergy should be doable, but it is a bit of a pain.

@futaris

There aren't errors on the files  :wacko:

I think your problems related to the installation of clover to the SSD are caused by your multi-boot setup, probably another OS it's using that same partition causing clover installer to fail installing on the wrong one,

many other users had similar problems about the installation of clover to the local drive on the surface, personally I never had any, I suggest you to read the "old" multiboot thread to investigate more... Good luck

P.s.

Metal is not compatible with VMware and there is no way to enable even qe/ci and so have accelleration on it, this topic is about native installations.

@r1c4rd0

Yes I've noticed that sleep is not working and it's usb thats causing the issue, when I'll have some more free time I'll try to see if I can fix it, right now I'm adding it to the not working list :/

• Like 1

We were using genericusbxhci on yosemite and maverick along side some boot flags to fix sleep but its not compatible with 10.11...
I'm trying to fix ehc1 wake issue and have solved the glan one, I'll post a new dsdt when I'll work it out. :)

this is the dsdt that make it wake only with ehc1 and no glan:

dsdt.aml.zip

• Like 1

Have you read what jape said about his kext?

Don't know why it's working on your Installation, you can share your DSDT if you'd like to!

About that issue it's solved by injecting the right ig.platform and using acpibacklight.

Don't forget to check the original multi boot guide, there you can find everything you'd like to know.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

if anyone is interested in audio input, you can try using the patched AppleHDA kext (AppleHDA-272.18.1-ALC280.zip) from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/298663-applehda-for-yosemite/?do=findComment&comment=2027485.

With that kext I see following audio devices:

• Speaker and Internal microphone (without headphones connected) or
  • Headphones and Line in (with headphones connected).

Speaker, Internal microphone and headphones work, but I am not sure if the Line in works. Blowing into the headphones' microphone did not show up in the "VU-meter" in System Preferences (maybe the signal was just too weak). (I would prefer having an external microphone instead of line in. I think it should be achievable by patching layout*.xml.zlib in kext's Resources.)

In addition to the "new" AppleHDA I use the newest version of EAPDFix.kext (with the same configuration (in "Info.plist") as the one included in the file pack). The modified EAPDFix.kext is attached.

(To install: remove the previous kexts from /System/Library/Extensions/, then install both new kexts with Kext Drop and reboot.)

EAPDFix.kext (v2.0.1), SP1.zip

@JahStories

You are right, but it did not show any audio *input* device on my Surface Pro, only outputs. Maybe it was just my error...

@coasda

Regarding the Bluetooth mystery (working for you while according to jape it technically can not work):

Did you do a "cold boot" or did you just reboot from Windows/Linux/other OS where Bluetooth works (or attached the bluetooth device to a virtual machine with such a system)? It is possible that the firmware has been loaded by another driver in another system, but survived until OS X finished booting...

(An offtopic question for programmers more experienced with EFI: would it be possible (and practical) to implement the AvastarFwLoader as an "EFI application" that would be somehow (as Clover plugin?) executed from Clover during every boot? If yes, we could (hopefully) avoid future problems caused by changes in the OS X API.)

• Like 1

@myr1

Clean install OS X EL CAP , boot from USB thumb without DSDT and I've got bluetooth working (but still had issue with washed out gray screen). Also I dont have problems with my WIFIthumb - I can remove/insert it without switching it off/on- its just works. With Jah's DSDT I often cannot boot in OS X at all.

I think that is BT support  first in TODO list.

USB 3.0 or 2.0 - it doesn't matter.

"Did you do a "cold boot" or did you just reboot from Windows/Linux/other OS where Bluetooth works (or attached the bluetooth device to a virtual machine with such a system)? It is possible that the firmware has been loaded by another driver in another system, but survived until OS X finished booting..." -- lol.

Read more about NVRAM and what is CLOVER EFI.

@coasda

Thank you for the info.

I also dug a little deeper into the bluetooth problem. The Wi-Fi/Bluetooth device has not been even enumerated by OS X, which pointed me to a lower-level problem (a USB controller kext or DSDT).

Booting without DSDT (without audio, video acceleration, ...) indeed worked (the bluetooth device was visible), therefore the error is in DSDT.

So I tried to compare the "vanilla" DSDT and the one linked from the first post by JahStories, but I could not wrap my head around it (the diff of disassembled asl's was too complex for me to understand) so I decided to start from scratch, doing only the necessary edits to the DSDT.

I took the stock DSDT (maybe just autopatched by Clover), fixed graphics, backlight, audio, battery and added NullEthernet. Everything seems to work the same as with the previous DSDT, but the bluetooth device is now visible and AvastarFwLoader successfully loads the firmware to it, so the bluetooth works!

The resulting DSDT (see the attachment) differs from the JahStories' DSDT from the first post in following:

• no IRQ changes
  • no device or variable renamed
  • no unnecessary _DSM method added (there was probably the issue that caused Avastar not to be detected)
  • no smbus device added
  • no ADFU device added (what is it?)
  • used different (simpler?) battery patch

I hope the new DSDT will be a bit easier to maintain since there is nothing that does not have to be there. :)

I have published the process here: https://github.com/myr1/SurfacePro1-DSDT

The resulting DSDT is attached.

Bonus: it has not crashed on boot yet (which happened to me a few times with the older DSDT). Might be just a coincidence though.

dsdt.aml.zip

• Like 3

@ducati996

I don't see any entry, just this text: "This computer doesn't contain any PCI cards or devices. If you installed or connected, a PCI card or device, make sure they’re properly installed."

Is there supposed to be any? (Even my MBP shows the same text.)

@myr1

Thanks for the answer.

So we have 3 different dsdt that works well. ;) I have 4 entries under pci which i think is good!

It is funny that you fix the bluetooth in a different way.i already told that the kext works fine and the problem is the usb.apple change a lot in elcapitan.

Does airplay work in your surface?

• 2 weeks later...