(GUIDE) 10.11 full speed USB (series 8/9) keeping vanilla SLE

wegface
497 posts in this topic

Guys please don't fight. You have expressed your views, you should follow the title of the topic now.

regards

I guess you cleaned the argument, as i dont see anything of which you both mention. Seeing as pjalm's posts have to be approved by a moderator, confused as to what possibly could of needed cleaning. As i stated all along, difference of opinion is fine. People remember I posted this thread, and i have argued with nobody in it.

• Like 1

Did a final reinstall before I was about to go back to Windows full time with a fresh USB stick and the latest clover using the injector and everything seems to be working now.

post-6842-0-67179300-1444132638_thumb.jpg

I have removed the USB2 onboard headers from the injector as I don't use them.

• Like 1

Might have been mentioned before, but i'm not going through the whole topic. 

I'm using FakeSMC to accomplish this, same DSDT method, just the plist from FakeSMC. Worked great, until i updated FakeSMC and tried to install the El Capitan release. 

Got the famous "Still waiting for root device", luckily 2 ports where functioning, so switching the usb device to another port solved the issue for the time being.

I might switch to the injector, but for now, since i'm short on time, i reverted back to an old plist file. 

Just wanted to share my experience, something people can look into when running in to problems regarding this. 

So the main problem is the 15 ports limit, and one USB3 port takes 2 ports -- one for usb2 devices one for usb3. For a system with 8 USB2+6 USB3 that's 20 ports total....that's why we need to remove unused ports or even sacrifice some real one.

Is there anyway to remove the 15 limit in the XHCI driver -- perhaps a directly kext patch or clover patch so we can just let the OS grab all ports from DSDT? or at least is it technically possible?

Update:

Finally got it, and I use Windows instead of Yosemite to find port mapping.

My MB is a MSI Z87, the DSDT looks very much like OP's, with HS01-HS15(HS15 is a dummy port) and SSP1-SSP6 under XHC, so thats 21 ports total.

Under Windows, use aida64 or the free MS usbviewer, and I got 21 ports listed.  :D

In my case, port 1-15 map to HS01-HS15 and port16-21 map to SSP1-SSP6. So with a USB2 and a USB3 flash drive, I was able to map all ports correctly.

• Like 1

I created a version of USB_Series9_Injector.kext specific to my motherboard (Asus Maximus VII Impact) and my SMBIOS personality (MacPro3,1). I have also modified my DSDT as per post #1 in this thread. I've noticed the following issues:

1. If I install the injector to S/L/E, it works as expected and I regain the use of all my USB3 ports. If I copy it to Clover in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11/, it does not work. Is there something more I should be doing to make this work from Clover?
  2. With the injector installed to S/L/E, and the USB3 ports working correctly, I can plug in a USB thumb drive and it will mount and work at USB3 speeds. However, if I sleep the computer and then wake it, I find that the thumb drive was been unmounted and the warning message "Disk not ejected properly" comes up. Any ideas why this might be happening?

Thanks!

-Robert

So the main problem is the 15 ports limit, and one USB3 port takes 2 ports -- one for usb2 devices one for usb3. For a system with 8 USB2+6 USB3 that's 20 ports total....that's why we need to remove unused ports or even sacrifice some real one.

Is there anyway to remove the 15 limit in the XHCI driver -- perhaps a directly kext patch or clover patch so we can just let the OS grab all ports from DSDT? or at least is it technically possible?

Update:

My MB is a MSI Z87, the DSDT looks very much like OP's, with HS01-HS15(HS15 is a dummy port) and SSP1-SSP6 under XHC, so thats 21 ports total.

Under Windows, use aida64 or the free MS usbviewer, and I got 21 ports listed.  :D

In my case, port 1-15 map to HS01-HS15 and port16-21 map to SSP1-SSP6. So with a USB2 and a USB3 flash drive, I was able to map all ports correctly.

Are you saying you were able to map the ports such that ALL the USB2 and USB3 ports are working correctly (i.e. more than the 15 port XHC limit), or did you have to sacrifice some USB2 ports to get all of the USB3 ports working correctly?

I created a version of USB_Series9_Injector.kext specific to my motherboard (Asus Maximus VII Impact) and my SMBIOS personality (MacPro3,1). I have also modified my DSDT as per post #1 in this thread. I've noticed the following issues:

1. If I install the injector to S/L/E, it works as expected and I regain the use of all my USB3 ports. If I copy it to Clover in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11/, it does not work. Is there something more I should be doing to make this work from Clover?
  2. With the injector installed to S/L/E, and the USB3 ports working correctly, I can plug in a USB thumb drive and it will mount and work at USB3 speeds. However, if I sleep the computer and then wake it, I find that the thumb drive was been unmounted and the warning message "Disk not ejected properly" comes up. Any ideas why this might be happening?

Thanks!

-Robert

Are you saying you were able to map the ports such that ALL the USB2 and USB3 ports are working correctly (i.e. more than the 15 port XHC limit), or did you have to sacrifice some USB2 ports to get all of the USB3 ports working correctly?

Hrmm should be no difference putting in SLE or clover injection folder, so that is strange. Put it where it works ;)

when i searched for EHCI i see nothing can anyone help?

Its normal since for 8/9 series MB, all ports, even USB2 ones, are under XHCI now.

Have to sacrifice one port to fit the limit

Injector no longer needed if using 10.11.1 Beta 3, simply edit DSDT and remove EHC1/EHC2 and under XHC > RHUB remove any ports not needed to keep limit to 15. May work on earlier OSX but have not tested.

* This is only for Series 8/9. Do not remove EHC1/EHC2 on other chipsets.

If someone can test this on 10.11.0 i will put it in the first post.

OK I'm so confused...

I am having USB problems on El Cap, but now I'm not sure they're the same problems as everyone else. The problems I'm having for instance, is that the USB3 ports appear to be there, but only work sporadically. For instance, a USB soundbar didn't work, then randomly briefly worked, then never worked again, although it's completely visible in USB/sound prefs, and picks up when i turn the volume control on the soundbar. A USB3 external drive works fine in a USB2 port, but isn't even *seen* on any USB3 ports. (So I'm unable to see if it works at full speed.) Said drive works fine on Yosemite, and on El Cap on a real Mac (2015 retina mbp)

Hardware is as per sig. The important bit: Asus Z87I-Pro. The manual says this has USB via both the Intel Z87 chipset and an ASMedia controller. I'm not using the ASMedia sockets. (Thinking now I should see what happens when I do...)

Everything was working fine in Yosemite, but when I tried the instructions on the OP of this thread, I failed at step 1 because what I was seeing bore no resemblance to what was described. After stumbling around a bit I realised I was still using GenericUSBXHCI.kext (1.2.8d9), presumably because I needed to when I first installed this hackintosh on Mavericks. (My El Cap install is fresh, onto a new disk.)

So I took that out, to find that in Yosemite everything is now happy using AppleUSBXHCI and seems to behave just as before. But *again* when I try step 1 of these instructions I find something completely different.

There is no XHC1 anywhere. If I search for it in IOJones I get an empty window. (BTW typo in the first post: "or XCH1 some green entries...")

It goes Root -> XHC@14 -> AppleUSBXHCI -> <devices> eg: External HDD@14900000, Matias Keyboard@14d41000.

There's no mention of any HSxx ports of SSPx ports. By the way, this is all exactly as GenericUSBXHCI was except for the driver name, and IOJones now actually sees when devices are removed and inserted.

So does what I'm seeing mean I shouldn't be affected by this problem in the first place? There is *something* not right with my USB3 in El Cap (USB2 seems fine), but maybe it's something *else*?

OK I'm so confused...

I am having USB problems on El Cap, but now I'm not sure they're the same problems as everyone else. The problems I'm having for instance, is that the USB3 ports appear to be there, but only work sporadically. For instance, a USB soundbar didn't work, then randomly briefly worked, then never worked again, although it's completely visible in USB/sound prefs, and picks up when i turn the volume control on the soundbar. A USB3 external drive works fine in a USB2 port, but isn't even *seen* on any USB3 ports. (So I'm unable to see if it works at full speed.) Said drive works fine on Yosemite, and on El Cap on a real Mac (2015 retina mbp)

Hardware is as per sig. The important bit: Asus Z87I-Pro. The manual says this has USB via both the Intel Z87 chipset and an ASMedia controller. I'm not using the ASMedia sockets. (Thinking now I should see what happens when I do...)

Everything was working fine in Yosemite, but when I tried the instructions on the OP of this thread, I failed at step 1 because what I was seeing bore no resemblance to what was described. After stumbling around a bit I realised I was still using GenericUSBXHCI.kext (1.2.8d9), presumably because I needed to when I first installed this hackintosh on Mavericks. (My El Cap install is fresh, onto a new disk.)

So I took that out, to find that in Yosemite everything is now happy using AppleUSBXHCI and seems to behave just as before. But *again* when I try step 1 of these instructions I find something completely different.

There is no XHC1 anywhere. If I search for it in IOJones I get an empty window. (BTW typo in the first post: "or XCH1 some green entries...")

It goes Root -> XHC@14 -> AppleUSBXHCI -> <devices> eg: External HDD@14900000, Matias Keyboard@14d41000.

There's no mention of any HSxx ports of SSPx ports. By the way, this is all exactly as GenericUSBXHCI was except for the driver name, and IOJones now actually sees when devices are removed and inserted.

So does what I'm seeing mean I shouldn't be affected by this problem in the first place? There is *something* not right with my USB3 in El Cap (USB2 seems fine), but maybe it's something *else*?

Typo fixed thanks. If i could have a euro for every time i made that typo, i would be a rich man.  :lol:

Try looking in IOJones in the IOACPIPlane section see if you see the HSXX or SSPX section. 

Dont worry about being confused, its a pretty confusing thing ;)

Typo fixed thanks. If i could have a euro for every time i made that typo, i would be a rich man.  :lol:

Try looking in IOJones in the IOACPIPlane section see if you see the HSXX or SSPX section. 

Dont worry about being confused, its a pretty confusing thing ;)

Aha. Well, in IOACPIPlane I see

Root -> acpi -> _SB -> PCI0@0 -> XHC@140000 -> RHUB@0

and under there is HS01@1 thru HS15@f, SPP1@10 thru SPP6@15

None currently have any subsections indicating devices, although keyboard/mouse are plugged in on a USB2 port...

... and nothing changes in that view when I do plug stuff in. (except a refresh/expand-all in response to the event, but no new device showing.)

Aha. Well, in IOACPIPlane I see

Root -> acpi -> _SB -> PCI0@0 -> XHC@140000 -> RHUB@0

and under there is HS01@1 thru HS15@f, SPP1@10 thru SPP6@15

None currently have any subsections indicating devices, although keyboard/mouse are plugged in on a USB2 port...

... and nothing changes in that view when I do plug stuff in. (except a refresh/expand-all in response to the event, but no new device showing.)

Unfortunately, in that view you dont see when things are plugged in. I never understood why the IOJones does not show those HSXX etc for all systems, except for there. I wonder if IOReg would do.  

Injector no longer needed if using 10.11.1 Beta 3, simply edit DSDT and remove EHC1/EHC2 and under XHC > RHUB remove any ports not needed to keep limit to 15. May work on earlier OSX but have not tested.

* This is only for Series 8/9. Do not remove EHC1/EHC2 on other chipsets.

I think this should work on 10.11, but I don't understand why removing EHC1/EHC2 in DSDT, since for 8/9 series MB these two are actually unused?

Edit:

Tested myself on Z87 MB. No need to remove EHC1/EHC2, just removing unwanted ports for XHC and it works without the kext injection.

Unfortunately, in that view you dont see when things are plugged in. I never understood why the IOJones does not show those HSXX etc for all systems, except for there. I wonder if IOReg would do.  

I booted back to El Cap and ran IOJones. This is what I'm seeing, which may be useful:

Root -> XHC@14 -> XHC@14000000

and under that is HS01@14100000 thru HS14@14e00000, and a single lonely SSP1@14f00000

Screenshot:

post-1364814-0-97350000-1444323763_thumb.png

As this was taken, a Matias keyboard was plugged into one of the four USB sockets on the back, which appear to be on an internal hub behind HS13@14d00000, and a mouse RF receiver into the keyboard's integrated hub. A USB 2 external drive is plugged into one of the two USB3 front-panel sockets. A USB 3 external drive is plugged into the second USB3 front panel socket. Only the USB2 drive is showing up, anywhere, on desktop, in disk utility, in system report, in IOJones.

My guess would be that my allotment of 15 USB interfaces is being filled up with USB2 entries, pushing all the USB3 ones but one (which one? even a real one?) off the table. I wonder if all I really need to do is to make some of those USB2 entries disappear. As IOJones *is* showing me this information in El Cap, but not in Yosemite, it looks like I would be able to at least map the USB2 entries to real sockets.

And then I wonder, without the help of Yosemite, if I could do something to make some of them disappear -- those that appear to be not-real, the unused mid-board usb2 header (no usb2 sockets on case), i can decide I'll never need to plug USB2 devices into the six USB3 sockets on the back (as there are 4 perfectly serviceable USB2 sockets there too)... then I wonder if the other USB3 sockets will start to come into the table at the bottom by themselves?

post-1364814-0-97350000-1444323763_thumb.png

OK, I seem to have three functioning USB3 ports. Luckier than some!

One seems to be the single SSP15 that showed up in my previous post, which I identified. Curiously IOJones didn't show it in that place, but it did show up elsewhere, and the location id shown in system report pointed to it being in that same interface 0x14f00000. And the USB3 drive works there.

It also works in what I believe to be the two ASMedia ports on the back, which therefore seem to be supported out of the box. That actually shows a location id of 0x00200000 and in IOJones only shows up in IODeviceTree.

in either place, it seems to transfer data at the same speed as when plugged into a recent real mac also running El Cap. Speed was somewhat slower than some reviews suggest for that drive, but faster than the USB2 theoretical maximum. And as it's the same on the real mac I declare that whatever issues the drive may have the USB ports seem to be working.

Be nice to have more of them working though!

Hi

I am just getting myself more and more confused so i will reach out for some help - I have a Dell Optiplex 980 which only has USB2 ports however after, and also during but i can work around it, an install of 10.11 i do not have ANY working USB ports. I do not use a DSDT but i have generated one and i do use Chameleon. When i run IOJones my USB ports in 10.10 show up under EHC and when something is plugged in it shows up as indicated in the attachment.

Can anyone offer any advice on what i can do to progress getting this board to see USB in 10.11 as i am well and truly stuck. Due to my limit of 8 USB2 ports i am not sure i even need to create the mapping?

edit: and i thought about ioreg to tell me something about USB ports perhaps - So does this device id for say my port that the keyboard is plugged into need mapping into a kext injector for my board?

imac:~ mick$ ioreg | grep -i usb | grep Keyboard
    | |   |   +-o Keyboard Hub@1d120000  <class IOUSBHubDevice, id 0x1000005b2, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (4 ms), retain 11>
    | |   |   +-o Apple Keyboard@1d122000  <class IOUSBDevice, id 0x1000005cc, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (39 ms), retain 12>
    | |   |   | | +-o AppleUSBHIDKeyboard  <class AppleUSBHIDKeyboard, id 0x1000005d3, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (3 ms), retain 12>
    | |   |   |   +-o AppleUSBHIDKeyboard  <class AppleUSBHIDKeyboard, id 0x1000005df, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (2 ms), retain 12>

I wonder if injectors work for something as old as this?

thanks for any help!!

post-841024-0-76764000-1444339288_thumb.png

Before reading all of my post!! Whatever is at top is pretty much the latest info regarding this situation but the rest of the thread may be useful depending on your situation.

The Ultimate Solution quoted here by arix98. This is the solution I'm currently using. No DSDT needed, no injection, and no dummy kexts.

So far, so good for me, no KP all ports addressed and read properly. My screen shot and confirmation of this method can be found here.

This method will circumvent the the 15 port limit of El Capitan. Port as in the port addresses.

Here's the patch for your clover config.plist

<key>KextsToPatch</key>
		<array>
			<dict>
                                <key>Comment</key>
                                <string>remove usb limit</string>
                                <key>Find</key>
                                <data>
                                g72M/v//EA==
                                </data>
                                <key>Name</key>
                                <string>AppleUSBXHCIPCI</string>
                                <key>Replace</key>
                                <data>
                                g72M/v//Fg==
                                </data>
                       </dict>
		</array>

Here it is to type in Clover Configurator.

post-1364638-0-35052000-1444446613_thumb.png

Previous usage...

Update:

Confirmed with Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 on 10.11. Still currently dual booting Yosemite and El Cap.

No kext injection and vanilla SLE.

DSDT edit required removing unnecessary USB 2.0 ports and sacrificed one to get all my USB 3.0 running (6x).

Ports were already named EHC1,EHC2 and XHC.

Using Yosemite to figure out ports works but not in the way portrayed in the 1st post. USB 3.0 ports I couldn't even get a definite port address as my DSDT for SSP1-6 all said ADR 0.

Guide for my board and possibly others with 9 series / z97 chipset.

Requirements

• Yosemite installed
  • Using DSDT
  • IOReg 2.1 or IOJones
  • macIASL
  • Some patience

A Bit Of Understanding

Below you can see no HSxx and SSPx. I noted the locationID and PortNum in IOreg. Notice how in my DSDT the HS02 address matches. The locationID may be useless but noting them down in your diagram will help you see the bigger picture.

post-1364638-0-05557500-1444358460_thumb.png

You can see here that we can't find a definite way to address USB 3.0. The first screen was of a USB 2.0 flash drive in a USB 3.0 port. This screen shot is that of a USB 3.0 hard drive in the same port. However the location ID is different.

post-1364638-0-75301100-1444359733_thumb.png

My DSDT showing SSP addresses as zero below. In the end we are really just going to hunt for HSxx we don't need to stay within the 15 limit.

post-1364638-0-72705300-1444359969_thumb.png

Plug, Note, Unplug... Repeat!

Quoted below, this is clutch to for those who don't have Yosemite installed and are dual booting Windows.

So now that you can kind of see what is going on. While in Yosemite with IORegistry 2.1, your plugging a USB 2.0 device in all of your ports one port at a time. Each time you plug it in, IOReg will show the device in the tree. Referring to my first screenshot also posted below, you can see it on the left side light up green, red when it's unplugged.

Don't worry if it is not under HSxx or SSPx. Record the port address and locationID. Preferably in a some sort of drawn out diagram of your port locations. This will give us all the HSxx we are using when finding them in our DSDT later.

post-1364638-0-05557500-1444358460_thumb.png

Although I did this, it may be a waste of time. For only the USB 3.0 ports I tested with a USB 3.0 device and noted the locationIDs for them. Their port number would be the same as what we did for the USB 2.0 device. It did give me a sense of how the SSP were being numbered so you may want to consider that. It doesn't hurt.

Editing your DSDT

Your DSDT must be fixed and error free for your specific motherboard. Ports for the USB already named EHC1,EHC2 and XHC. I didn't even bother to touch EHC1 or EHC2. Everything on my system was in XHC or XHC hub inside the DSDT. Assuming yours will be too. You can see this in the screenshot below outlined in red on the left side.

See how I initially had HS01-HS14. My system has 10 ports total.

6 are USB 3.0, each count as 2.

(6x2) = 12

leaving me capable of assigning 3 USB 2.0 ports and losing one.

Now that the math is out the way, apply this to your situation. Look through your DSDT, to find all your HSxx and SSPx devices. From your noted diagram look through all the HSxx in your DSDT, deleting the ones that have a ADR that is not on your diagram. Deleting is easy, you just delete the whole method, example is shown in the screen shot below as it's highlighted in blue. Again the SSPx was useless for as the address all said zero.

Edit: Some nice advice from arix98. And fwiw, you can sacrifice the HS port associated with USB3 port, in this way, that USB3 port still works but only accepts USB3 devices with no response to USB2 devices. You can also sacrifice the SS port and making the USB3 port USB2-only.

Save your DSDT drop it in the appropriate folder, for me Clover, in the EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched.

Used Clover Configurator to add "DSDT.aml" to the ACPI tab in the DSDT name box.

Confirmation

Verify USB 3.0 and speed. Boot into El Capitain and open IOReg. Also open About this Mac and System Reports pointing at your USB under hardware. Plug in a USB 3.0 device one by one. After each plug-in you should see it pop up now all as SSPx under XHC. In your System report Window you should see the Speed as Up to 5Gb/sec. Use the screen shot below for guidance.

post-1364638-0-05053400-1444364493_thumb.png

Here is my proof of all ports working as should minus the one USB 2.0 I sacrificed.

post-1364638-0-35166400-1444364553_thumb.png

My Files

Someone has requested my DSDT and Clover config. I really recommend making your own DSDT, it took me literally 10 minutes to do my own and fix it. Consider that you may have different BIOS version and most likely different BIOS settings as I'm a regular Windows user and I have my system adjusted for quick overclocks.

The zip below includes DSDT untouched only fixed of errors with minimal patches and the one I'm currently using. As always create your own SMBIOS with the config file. I'm using iMac15,1 and letting Clover generate my states. It's about as plain as it gets. I also have a GTX970, 16GB 1866 Ram.

Archive.zip

• Like 4

Your ADR address is not zero, its a function with return value ADD(XSPA, one), or XSPA+1.

To get the ADR, another way is to use IORegistryExplorer, check IOACPIPlane...but ADR is completely unnecessary if we go through the DSDT port removal route.

And fwiw, you can sacrifice the HS port associated with USB3 port, in this way, that USB3 port still works but only accepts USB3 devices with no response to USB2 devices. You can also sacrifice the SS port and making the USB3 port USB2-only.

• Like 1

Your ADR address is not zero, its a function with return value ADD(XSPA, one), or XSPA+1.

To get the ADR, another way is to use IORegistryExplorer, check IOACPIPlane...but ADR is completely unnecessary if we go through the DSDT port removal route.

And fwiw, you can sacrifice the HS port associated with USB3 port, in this way, that USB3 port still works but only accepts USB3 devices with no response to USB2 devices. You can also sacrifice the SS port and making the USB3 port USB2-only.

If you don't have the ADR how do you know which HSxx to delete? I had 14 of them, now only using 9 due to 6 SS ports.

Ahh I didn't think of that, but I don't have much USB 3.0 peripherals. The one disabled is in the back, never gets used. I'll keep that in mind though and add it to my post.

• Like 1