HP Z400/Z600/Z800 Workstations OS X 10.10.x/10.11.x Installation

chatdeau

1,131 posts in this topic

Well, the imac turned out to be a bit munted and jeez they are horrible to work on inside.  I decided not to sink more time or money into that one.

A good deal on a Z440 came up, and over the weekend I've got OpenCore booting Mojave on that nicely.  Following the excellent guide at https://khronokernel-2.gitbook.io/opencore-vanilla-desktop-guide/ made it pretty easy the second time around.  The concerted effort on solid doco for OpenCore is a huge improvement over scratching one's head with some of the Clover setup.  The Haswell-E setting section works properly with the E5-1650v3.

I started with Catalina, and it was running fine except for waking from sleep - I think the AMD GPU support is still a bit problematic there.  Along with several serious gripes about Catalina from people on factory Macs, I also have some older kit in the studio and wasn't prepared to give up 32 bit support just yet.  Sleep and wake seems ok on Mojave.

After making an SSDT for the USB ports the only issue is the onboard Realtek not being found by the OS.  I'm not fussed by this right now because I'll be using external audio I/O.

If I get time I'll see about backporting my OpenCore efforts to the Z400.

For now I'm attaching my EFI and config for the Z440 in case that helps anyone.  Note you'll need to sort out your own entries in the SMBIOS section.  Mine is running an Asus RX570, 32GB RDIMMs and is booting from an intel 760 512GB NVMe SSD.

Cheers

EFI.zip

config.plist

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for finding the ALC221 patch Rocky12, I appreciate it.  It's actually set up with a MOTU audio interface in the studio which works fine with their drivers.  If I find a use for the onboard sound at all I'll give it a whirl.

I also did the monthly opencore update to 0.5.7 following their manual and everything's still running fine.

Cheers

• 1 month later...
On 2/7/2020 at 10:26 AM, stefanza said:

Hi Rocky12, Thanks for all the great help and support which has helped me considerably since El Capitan.  I have a Z800 Bios 3.91 2*X5690 Quadro 4000 which I have just rebuilt as Mojave with a very simple setup based on guidance from Sierra.  Have attached by Base EFI for anyone who has a Z800 3.91 Bios machine. 

This setup works but I wondered what would you recommend as the best combination of kexts for Mojave?

Thanks.

(Also have a Z820 2*E5-2670v2 Mojave using Lilo etc)

EFI worked with 3.91.zip

Just a simple question about this Post... To my knowledge the most updated bios version for the HP Z800 is the 3.61... Why do you mention the 3.91? (the fact is that this motherboard only has the 3.61 version as the most updated one)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey there, I am trying to install Catalina on my Z800

Specs:

Latest Bios 3.61

2x X5690

48GB RAM

1x 128GB SSD

2x2 TB HDD

Gigabyte RX 570 8GB

What am I doing wrong? Tried several different EFI Folders I've found.

EDIT:

I've managed to install Mac OS Catalina with my older GTX1050ti, but it's not well supported in Catalina so I went back trying with the RX570.

No luck so far. I guess I have to patch my DSDT? But I am very new to this.

Edited by FabianZettl
  • Like 1

On 5/17/2020 at 6:13 AM, YESHUADONAI said:

Just a simple question about this Post... To my knowledge the most updated bios version for the HP Z800 is the 3.61... Why do you mention the 3.91? (the fact is that this motherboard only has the 3.61 version as the most updated one)

Apologies - a typo.

It is 3.61.

14 hours ago, FabianZettl said:

Hey there, I am trying to install Catalina on my Z800

Specs:

Latest Bios 3.61

2x X5690

48GB RAM

1x 128GB SSD

2x2 TB HDD

Gigabyte RX 570 8GB

What am I doing wrong? Tried several different EFI Folders I've found.

EDIT:

I've managed to install Mac OS Catalina with my older GTX1050ti, but it's not well supported in Catalina so I went back trying with the RX570.

No luck so far. I guess I have to patch my DSDT? But I am very new to this.

The EFI I posted is for 3.61 (not 3.91 which was a type). Have you tried using the files from that?

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply Stefanza. I did numerous times now.

Did it right now again.

Installed Catalina to my USB via "create install media" (USB 2.0 16GB Sandisk Stick)

Install Clover to USB, Copied your EFI Folter to USB

Plugged in the back USB port of my Z800.

Booted via USB, My RX570 is connected via HDMI.

This time I only get the stop sign...

verbose: This version of Mac OS X is not supported on this platform

EDIT: So I've changed SMBIOS to the trash can MacPro

This time its crashing here, and gives the stop sign soon afterwards

I had an installation earlier today, don't know what I do different all the other times :D

IMG20200605144535.jpg

Edited by FabianZettl

On 6/6/2020 at 4:46 PM, FabianZettl said:

After a lot of work and testing I have a running system.

Here are my specs, and my EFI for everyone with a similar Z800 System.

The Install Stick was created with the macOS Catalina Patcher. (Catalin was also downloaded with the Patcher)

EFI BACKUP Z800.zip

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-06 um 16.44.51.png

@FabianZettl have you used some fix from the patcher? is yes wich one?

tnks

• 2 months later...

hola, algunos de ustedes podrían ayudarme.Tengo una HP Z800 2 * X5677 48Gb RAM Video NVIDIA Quadro FX 5800 y mi BIOS Ver.3.61, no sé nada sobre cómo poner MacOs en mi pc, ¿podría alguien guiarme? Actualmente tengo instalado Win7 pero trabajo con música y siempre es un problema real. Quiero probar lo que has logrado e instalar MacOS Mojave si es posible, ¿qué guía podría usar para instalarlo?

Updating ...
Investigating I learned that my video card is not compatible, and I bought an AMD RADEON 480 MSI to be able to do the Hackintosh, someone who can help me install, Thanks

Edited by luiscnievesm

• 1 month later...

Ok, I need to start from scratch.... HELP!  :help:

I haven't used this HP Z800 for a long time and I honestly don't even remember which MacOS version I used.
I need all necessary kexts and tweaks to get it working on Catalina (or Mojave if Catalina won't work).

I'm so out of the Hackintosh loop now I need all the help I can get.

I got Clover 5122 on a stick but screen goes black right after choosing drive to boot from.

My machine:

Z800

2x xeon X5690

Radeon RX580

96GB RAM (12x8GB)

512GB Samsung NVME SSD on a PCIe adapter that I used to boot from (boot loader on USB stick)

• Like 1

Thanks a lot!
Where is that thread?

Search is not working here at insanelymac so I have a really hard time looking up or finding stuff. :thumbsdown_anim:
Also, would you recommend going with Mojave instead of Catalina?

Edit:

I also understand there's a new boot loader called OpenCore, is that worth looking into?

Edited by robertr

I managed to recover an old EFI that I think was the one working for me.

It still won't work but it feels like I'm closer. :)

It's total {censored} that the search function isn't working on the forum, I could REALLY use it.

Will try to figure out if there any BIOS settings I got wrong.

This is how far I get:

IMG_7649.jpg

Edited by robertr

On 9/21/2020 at 9:47 PM, Rocky12 said:

Thanks for the help.
Clover seems so messy now and with my graphics card there was always a kind of hit & miss .. things that should work just didn't and things that shouldn't work actually did... up until now.
I've been looking into OpenCore and this definitely seems like the way to go so I'm going to give it a shot.

If you have any pointers or tips for the Z800 please feel free to share.

Wish me luck! :)

• Like 1

On 9/25/2020 at 12:24 AM, Rocky12 said:

You have better hardware give open core a try the only thing which can make problem is SATA controller because apple drop support for some older chips

I am still trying to create an Open Core USB Installer for Big Sur but no luck. Wish you good luck 

Thanks!

I'm writing this from my old Mojave install on an NVME drive booted by OpenCore from a SATA SSD.

The correct CPU multipliers aren't fixed so it's running very slow (just over half speed) but still 1000% useable since it's got 2x X5690.

2x ethernet is working.

ASUS RX580 STRIX TOP is working great.

I had to use AHCIPortInjector kext to get the SATA ports working, simple fix.

USB isn't working yet and neither is audio (less important) but I have a USB3 card to connect peripherals after boot.

I was thinking I'd try to fix this before upgrading to Catalina but maybe I'll just go ahead with the upgrade..

Edited by robertr
  • Thanks 1

I just booted a Catalina installation just fine and is writing from it now.
Still have to fix power management and USB.

And audio if possible.

I have not been able to boot with MacPro SMBIOS yet but iMac15,1 is fine and it should work with Big Sur too.

I'll share my EFI folder if anyone is interested.

Now I'll have a look at power management, I'd like to run it at x27 multiplier and 3.59GHz like I did before.

• Like 1

I wrestled with ssdtPRGen for several hours yesterday.

I added the X5690 manually but it still kept complaining about cpu/board incompatibility and throwing up errors. (iMac SMBIOS)

And I get a kernel panic when trying to boot with MacPro SMBIOS.. I tried spoofing the CPU but apparently there are some more patches need, I'll see if I can get it working.

If you have any pointers I'd accept them gladly. 

Will check out Hackintool also! :thanks_speechbubble:

15 hours ago, Rocky12 said:

Can you send the User Defined CPU List and a link  for your Intel CPU

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/52576/intel-xeon-processor-x5690-12m-cache-3-46-ghz-6-40-gt-s-intel-qpi.html

The line I added to User Defined cfg:

X5690,130,1596,3458,3724,6,12,4,133

Maybe there are some parameters I need to change to run ssdtPRGen?

User Defined.cfg.zip

Output from ssdtPRGen:

./ssdtPRGen.sh -p X5690 -cpus 2

ssdtPRGen.sh v0.9  Copyright (c) 2011-2012 by † RevoGirl
             v6.6  Copyright (c) 2013 by † Jeroen
             v21.5 Copyright (c) 2013-2020 by Pike R. Alpha
-----------------------------------------------------------
Bugs > https://github.com/Piker-Alpha/ssdtPRGen.sh/issues <

System information: Mac OS X 10.14.6 (18G1012)
Brandstring: "Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5690 @ 3.47GHz"

Override value: (-p) processor model, now using: X5690!
Override value: (-cpus) number of processors, now using: 2!

Version: models.cfg v171 / User Defined.cfg v-1

Scope (_SB_) {24122 bytes} with ACPI Processor declarations found in DSDT (ACPI 1.0 compliant)
Generating ssdt.dsl for a 'MacPro5,1' with board-id [Mac-F221BEC8]
Intel X5690 processor [0x206C2] setup [0x]
With a maximum TDP of 130 Watt, as specified by Intel
Number logical CPU's: 24 (Core Frequency: 3458 MHz)
Number of Turbo States: 2 (3591-3724 MHz)
Number of P-States: 17 (1596-3724 MHz)
Injected C-States for ._PR (C1,C3,C6)

Warning: 'board-id' [Mac-F221BEC8] is not supported by Unknown power management
Warning: 'system-type' may be set improperly (1 instead of 0)
	 - Clover users should read https://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration/ACPI#acpi_smartups
Compiling: ssdt_pr.dsl
Intel ACPI Component Architecture
ASL Optimizing Compiler version 20140926-64 [Nov  6 2014]
Copyright (c) 2000 - 2014 Intel Corporation

Compiler aborting due to parser-detected syntax error(s)
/Users/robert/Library/ssdtPRGen/ssdt.dsl     21:     External (\_SB_.._PR, DeviceObj)
Error    6126 -                                                    ^ Invalid character (0x2E), expecting ASL keyword or name

/Users/robert/Library/ssdtPRGen/ssdt.dsl     21:     External (\_SB_.._PR, DeviceObj)
Error    6126 -                                                     ^ Invalid character (0x2E), expecting ASL keyword or name

Error    6126 -                                                        ^ syntax error, unexpected PARSEOP_NAMESEG, expecting ')'

/Users/robert/Library/ssdtPRGen/ssdt.dsl     22:     External (\_SB_.._PR, DeviceObj)
Error    6126 -                                                    ^ Invalid character (0x2E), expecting ASL keyword or name

/Users/robert/Library/ssdtPRGen/ssdt.dsl     22:     External (\_SB_.._PR, DeviceObj)
Error    6126 -                                                     ^ Invalid character (0x2E), expecting ASL keyword or name

Error    6126 -                                                        ^ syntax error, unexpected PARSEOP_NAMESEG, expecting ')'

/Users/robert/Library/ssdtPRGen/ssdt.dsl     23:     External (\_SB_.._PR, DeviceObj)

/Users/robert/Library/ssdtPRGen/ssdt.dsl     23:     External (\_SB_.._PR, DeviceObj)

/Users/robert/Library/ssdtPRGen/ssdt.dsl     24:     External (\_SB_.._PR, DeviceObj)

/Users/robert/Library/ssdtPRGen/ssdt.dsl     24:     External (\_SB_.._PR, DeviceObj)

/Users/robert/Library/ssdtPRGen/ssdt.dsl     25:     External (\_SB_.._PR, DeviceObj)

/Users/robert/Library/ssdtPRGen/ssdt.dsl     25:     External (\_SB_.._PR, DeviceObj)

/Users/robert/Library/ssdtPRGen/ssdt.dsl     26:     External (\_SB_.._PR, DeviceObj)

/Users/robert/Library/ssdtPRGen/ssdt.dsl     26:     External (\_SB_.._PR, DeviceObj)

/Users/robert/Library/ssdtPRGen/ssdt.dsl     27:     External (\_SB_.._PR, DeviceObj)

/Users/robert/Library/ssdtPRGen/ssdt.dsl     27:     External (\_SB_.._PR, DeviceObj)

/Users/robert/Library/ssdtPRGen/ssdt.dsl     28:     External (\_SB_.._PR, DeviceObj)

/Users/robert/Library/ssdtPRGen/ssdt.dsl     28:     External (\_SB_.._PR, DeviceObj)

/Users/robert/Library/ssdtPRGen/ssdt.dsl     29:     External (\_SB_.._PR, DeviceObj)

/Users/robert/Library/ssdtPRGen/ssdt.dsl     29:     External (\_SB_.._PR, DeviceObj)

/Users/robert/Library/ssdtPRGen/ssdt.dsl     30:     External (\_SB_.._PR, DeviceObj)

/Users/robert/Library/ssdtPRGen/ssdt.dsl     30:     External (\_SB_.._PR, DeviceObj)

/Users/robert/Library/ssdtPRGen/ssdt.dsl     31:     External (\_SB_.._PR, DeviceObj)

/Users/robert/Library/ssdtPRGen/ssdt.dsl     31:     External (\_SB_.._PR, DeviceObj)

/Users/robert/Library/ssdtPRGen/ssdt.dsl     32:     External (\_SB_.._PR, DeviceObj)

/Users/robert/Library/ssdtPRGen/ssdt.dsl     32:     External (\_SB_.._PR, DeviceObj)

/Users/robert/Library/ssdtPRGen/ssdt.dsl     34:     Scope (\_SB_.._PR)
Error    6126 -                                                 ^ Invalid character (0x2E), expecting ASL keyword or name

Error    6126 -                                                  ^ Invalid character (0x2E), expecting ASL keyword or name

Error    6126 -                                                     ^ syntax error, unexpected PARSEOP_NAMESEG, expecting ')'

/Users/robert/Library/ssdtPRGen/ssdt.dsl    139: 
Error    6126 - syntax error, unexpected PARSEOP_SCOPE, expecting $end and premature End-Of-File

ASL Input:     /Users/robert/Library/ssdtPRGen/ssdt.dsl - 139 lines, 4673 bytes, 24 keywords

Compilation complete. 40 Errors, 0 Warnings, 0 Remarks, 0 Optimizations
Error: IASL status: 255 (Failed)

Do you want to open ssdt.dsl (y/n)? n

This is the resulting file:

ssdt.dsl.zip

Edited by robertr
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Rocky12 said:

Hi. Robert r  try to Add this in the User Defined CPU List  X5690,130,1600,3460,3730,6,12,4,133

and about kernel panic this very common when using Mac Pro 6,1 SM Bios to avoid this just use Apple MCE Reporter Disabler.kext 

good luck

1973267088_Screenshot2020-09-28at23_17_45.thumb.png.005f552a17b9c659afafd567a09f4db5.png

User Defined.cfg.zip

Ah, I used the exact multipliers of 133, maybe that caused some problems.. and I'll use this command too.

Thanks a lot! :)
I'm really hoping I can get it to work perfectly (don't care much about audio though) with Open Core.

Gotta get all the USB ports working though.

And I was already using the AppleMCEReporterDisabler.kext .... will see how it goes, maybe there's something else I missed?

AMCERD.png

Edited by robertr