HP Z400/Z600/Z800 Workstations OS X 10.10.x/10.11.x Installation

chatdeau

1,131 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, Rocky12 said:

Open Core 0.7.6 EFI Without  Resources Tools Folder 

Archive 2.zip 3.66 MB · 2 downloads

I haven't gotten it to work yet..

I could run the installer but after reboot it crashes before finishing.
It might work for my Catalina Install but that's on an NVME drive that doesn't show at boot so I haven't tried it yet.

On the flip side though..

I found a way to flash the firmware and bios of the SAS3081/1068 controller into IT mode so that I could connect another bunch of drives where I have my ZFS pool. 😃👍

https://andybrown.me.uk/forum/index.php?topic=14.361

Z800_SAS3081E_IT-mode.png

So I decided to clarify this installation debates no matter Big Sur or Monterey you will never be able to install it from USB Installer because of RDRAND instruction our CPUs are not capable to generate those random numbers
so I would say don't try to install Big Sur or Monterey from USB installer, this way you will not get it install on your machine
I never claimed that I was able to install it from USB Installer
The right way is still to prepare Open core USB installer for Catalina because you need proper working system once you have working OS Follow the Guide how to get Emulated NVRAM
Edited by Rocky12
  • Like 2

Oh, sorry you didn't fully understand what I meant, you can install BS or Monterey But Catalina is necessary you have to have a working Catalina system and Emulated NVRAM that's all

What I did first I already got another machine like z800 same specification and Catalina was installed on it, I took the HDD from and connected to the z800 then configure open core bootloader to see if I can boot from after while I was able to boot from after that then  I decide to prepare an Open core Catalina USB Installer for clean install, and then I repeat the whole procedure Catalina clean installation on SSD

Now you are ready for the next step to Generate Emulated NVRAM and you can upgrade from Catalina to BS or Monterey whatever you want

Edited by Rocky12

On 2/9/2022 at 10:06 PM, Rocky12 said:

Oh, sorry you didn't fully understand what I meant, you can install BS or Monterey But Catalina is necessary you have to have a working Catalina system and Emulated NVRAM that's all

What I did first I already got another machine like z800 same specification and Catalina was installed on it, I took the HDD from and connected to the z800 then configure open core bootloader to see if I can boot from after while I was able to boot from after that then  I decide to prepare an Open core Catalina USB Installer for clean install, and then I repeat the whole procedure Catalina clean installation on SSD

Now you are ready for the next step to Generate Emulated NVRAM and you can upgrade from Catalina to BS or Monterey whatever you want

Ah, ok. Thanks.
I'll try to get Emulated NVRAM working when I have time. 🙂👍

2. Add the additional value "msu-product-url" to the "LegacySchema" section under "7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82"

3. Add the necessary value to the NVRAM using following command:

sudo nvram msu-product-url="msu-product-url://$(diskutil info /System/Volumes/Data | grep "Volume UUID" | awk '{print $3}')/macOS%2520Install%2520Data"

4. Upgrade to BigSur from inside Catalina

5. The system restarts now to a working updater

6. After several restarts the system is updated to BigSur

7. Remove NVRAM variable and previous added OC config Entry "msu-product-url"

8. Have Fun with BigSur

oc_config.png.9c82ef03932b9ea18996f279bce9627e.png

EDIT:

I tried installing BigSur on an ssd using my MacBook Pro and it’s running well on the Z800.

(Still can’t get the emulated NVRAM to work or maybe it’s working but gets wiped at shutdown for whatever reason? It retains whatever data I put in it but not after reboot.)
Now I just have to figure out how to shuffle the small ssd’s I have to make a bootable drive that I can then clone onto the NVMe drive. 🤔

EDIT 2:

This msu-product…. variable that needs to be in the Nvram, could it not be put there at boot by editing the OC config.plist?

I have tried this many times now and even verified that the LogoutHook is in place in com.apple.loginwindow but it still will not retain NVRAM variables after rebooting.

Edited by robertr

Is there such a thing as a USB image file that can create a boot USB to boot and reinstall either Mojave or Catalina? After trying to go from Catalina to Big Sur, I can no longer boot to the desktop. My boot USB is corrupted. I have not been able to create one using windows. I have an HP Z400.

I'm on Big Sur now and it seems to be working well.

Still don't have Emulated NVRAM but I used my MacBook Pro to get it installed on an SSD. I'll Clone it to the NVMe drive when I have tested it more.

I get a better Geekbench Metal score now (47,830) but the Final Cut BruceX 5K takes a 👉LOT👈 longer to finish.. over 90sec compared to 14sec before.

The first thing what u really need is to configure open core bootloader for your machine,  you can use my config.plist as reference

what you cannot use from my EFI folder  DSDT.aml - SSDT-1.aml -SSDT-UIAC and the USBPort.kext all the other stuff u can use 

I hope you know how to create open open core legacy USB installer

2 hours ago, Rocky12 said:

The first thing what u really need is to configure open core bootloader for your machine,  you can use my config.plist as reference

what you cannot use from my EFI folder  DSDT.aml - SSDT-1.aml -SSDT-UIAC and the USBPort.kext all the other stuff u can use 

I had been hoping to create a bootable USB in order to access my Catalina installation made using Clover. I no longer have a functioning USB installer so I am locked out .Catalina had worked well from day one until I tried to update to Big Sur. Only this week have I been looking into Open core. I am learning fast

23 hours ago, Rocky12 said:

I have made an open core USB installer, but I am still booting to the Clover Screen the USB fails to boot.

You have to remove clover and some clover related files

Files to delete

• /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/EmuVariableUefi-64.efi
  • /Volumes/EFI/nvram.plist
  • /etc/rc.clover.lib
  • /etc/rc.boot.d/10.save_and_rotate_boot_log.local
  • /etc/rc.boot.d/20.mount_ESP.local
  • /etc/rc.boot.d/70.disable_sleep_proxy_client.local.disabled
  • /etc/rc.shutdown.d/80.save_nvram_plist.local

If folders are empty, then delete them as well

• /etc/rc.boot.d
  • /etc/rc.shutdown.
Edited by Rocky12
  • Thanks 1

On 2/22/2022 at 3:00 PM, Rocky12 said:

You have to remove clover and some clover related files

Files to delete

• /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/EmuVariableUefi-64.efi
  • /Volumes/EFI/nvram.plist
  • /etc/rc.clover.lib
  • /etc/rc.boot.d/10.save_and_rotate_boot_log.local
  • /etc/rc.boot.d/20.mount_ESP.local
  • /etc/rc.boot.d/70.disable_sleep_proxy_client.local.disabled
  • /etc/rc.shutdown.d/80.save_nvram_plist.local

If folders are empty, then delete them as well

• /etc/rc.boot.d
  • /etc/rc.shutdown.

I have been able to create a Catalina install USB without using Opencore. I am getting the message This Version of Mac os x is not supported on this platform. Catalina was installed previously and working. I do not recall how I solved this problem. I had ben using SMBIOS 13,2. It's been 3 years that I have been away from all this so am very rusty.

42 minutes ago, Rocky12 said:

use  boot arg -no_compat_check in your config.plist

Like this?

</dict>
    <key>Boot</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Arguments</key>
        <string>dart=0 darkwake=0</string>
        <string>-no_compat_check</string>
        <key>CustomLogo</key>
        <false/>
        <key>Debug</key>
        <false/>
        <key>DefaultVolume</key>
        <string>hope</string>
        <key>Legacy</key>
        <string>PBR</string>
        <key>Secure</key>
        <false/>
        <key>Timeout</key>

22 hours ago, Rocky12 said:

use  boot arg -no_compat_check in your config.plist

My Boot USB made using Windows 10 is now working, and I can now access my Catalina installation and do not need to reinstall and have no wish to try Big Sur. Everything works except that audio is now using Samsung HDMI as output. I have a SB Audigy installed using the KX drivers which were previously working and the only choice. HDMI sound had not been available. I do not know how to remove HDMI sound,