OS X El Capitan Test Thread

456 posts in this topic

However, if you really want to use those kexts in L/E or S/L/E (although I honestly don't know why would you want that), you can simply copy them using this command:

cp -r -v /path-to-kext/YOURKext.kext /Library/Extensions/YOURKext.kext
That should also set the proper permissions.
You should get out of the habit of using "-r". It is broken, compared to "-R". (See the man page for details, though it's true they're unlikely to impact a kext.) Also this will not preserve permissions or modes.

Cleverly, if you screw it up, ElCap will tell you the second you copy the kext into /L/E that the kext is damaged (I can't think of a reason you'd ever want to copy it into /S/L/E... don't). Fix with

chown -R root:wheel /L/E/whatever

and, if necessary,

chmod go-w /L/E/whatever

Both may be necessary if you're copying from the EFI partition, since it has no permissions or owners (it's DOS format).

• Like 1

You should get out of the habit of using "-r". It is broken, compared to "-R". (See the man page for details, though it's true they're unlikely to impact a kext.) Also this will not preserve permissions or modes.

Cleverly, if you screw it up, ElCap will tell you the second you copy the kext into /L/E that the kext is damaged (I can't think of a reason you'd ever want to copy it into /S/L/E... don't). Fix with

chown -R root:wheel /L/E/whatever

and, if necessary,

chmod go-w /L/E/whatever

Both may be necessary if you're copying from the EFI partition, since it has no permissions or owners (it's DOS format).

For your convenience, and also since you apparently never used this trick before, I attached screenshots of all 3 methods (without terminal command/ terminal command using "-r"/ terminal command "-R"). I also used L/E instead of S/L/E. Though it doesn't make any difference.

And it doesn't "preserve" permissions. It sets permissions automatically. You should really try it sometimes.

Please, take a look.

Simple copy-paste (since this doesn't have the proper permissions for this location, will trigger some errors). Also, it will ask for your sudo password to paste the kext into that location.

post-1303722-0-65359300-1446963376_thumb.png

Copy with terminal command using "-r"

sudo cp -r -v ~/Desktop/FakeSMC.kext/ /Library/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext

post-1303722-0-87848500-1446963511_thumb.png

Copy with terminal command using "-R"

sudo cp -R -v ~/Desktop/FakeSMC.kext/ /Library/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext

post-1303722-0-06912000-1446963566_thumb.png

The only thing I missed, but that didn't seem to bother you as much, is running the command above as superuser, for which I apologize. The command needs to be run as sudo.

There were two points I was making:

1) "-r" is bad- in fact, it's deprecated and nearly undocumented, because it doesn't copy special files. In the bad old days, you'd use cpio instead, but now you can just use "cp -R". It'll also preserve directory modes (even without "-p", another useful flag). The first time you hose your system by messing up /dev, using cp instead of cpio is something you're never likely to forget. :-(

Oh, also, I think -r indirects through symlinks, though I may be mistaken about that. You definitely don't want that.

2) Don't put stuff in /S/L/E...

Admittedly, neither of these points is likely worth the electrons already spent on them.

There were two points I was making:

1) "-r" is bad- in fact, it's deprecated and nearly undocumented, because it doesn't copy special files. In the bad old days, you'd use cpio instead, but now you can just use "cp -R". It'll also preserve directory modes (even without "-p", another useful flag). The first time you hose your system by messing up /dev, using cp instead of cpio is something you're never likely to forget. :-(

Oh, also, I think -r indirects through symlinks, though I may be mistaken about that. You definitely don't want that.

Admittedly, neither of these points is likely worth the electrons already spent on them.

I appreciate your feedback.

Actually, I already corrected the initial post to reflect the two changes. So thank you for that.

And for the second point, I don't use L/E or S/L/E anyway. But I was just trying to help Renard45 in case he really wanted to use that location. For me, Clover kext injection works perfectly, so I don't really need to mess with L/E or S/L/E anyway. :)

And for the second point, I don't use L/E or S/L/E anyway. [...] For me, Clover kext injection works perfectly, so I don't really need to mess with L/E or S/L/E anyway.

Now that you mention that... I've been putting most things in the EFI/kexts tree too, and it works fine. But somewhere along the way I read some documentation that said, if I read it and recall it correctly, that having kexts in the EFI partition would cause the bootloader to NOT use the prelinked kernel. But that doesn't seem right, as I'm pretty sure that I've had a kext in /L/E not load because I didn't rebuild the prelinked kernel, which implies that the prelinked *is* being used.

Can anyone state definitively what the deal is? Will the prelinked kernel always be used (assuming it exists)? Do additional kexts in the EFI partition simply get kextloaded after the kernel first loads?

Now that you mention that... I've been putting most things in the EFI/kexts tree too, and it works fine. But somewhere along the way I read some documentation that said, if I read it and recall it correctly, that having kexts in the EFI partition would cause the bootloader to NOT use the prelinked kernel. But that doesn't seem right, as I'm pretty sure that I've had a kext in /L/E not load because I didn't rebuild the prelinked kernel, which implies that the prelinked *is* being used.

Can anyone state definitively what the deal is? Will the prelinked kernel always be used (assuming it exists)? Do additional kexts in the EFI partition simply get kextloaded after the kernel first loads?

Well, I don't know about that. But I know where we can get some answers. :)Here. The Clover Bootloader thread.

Could you share your DSDT to get USB3 working. It seems that to me it shows all USB as USB2 and not USB3.

I do not observe any graphical glitch.

I just installed El Captain on my Asus Zenbook UX32VD.

Tried it on my Asus ZenBook UX32VD and it works exactly like Yosemite. The only difference was the creating of the USB media where simply using the normal OS X USB creator that is built into the installer app is not enough. I needed to create the USB by mounting BaseSystem.dmg and such. There are guides out there.

USB 2.0 and 3.0 works just fine with my patched DSDT (this is a 7-series Ivy). I do not use GenericUSBXHCI in any way. I just wanted to see if the new kext stuff had solved a serious graphical glitch that the UX3(1/2) seems to have where the screen glitches like crazy after boot until the screen is turned off and on again. Unfortunately it is still not fixed, and will probably never be fixed either. 

Seems like a nice upgrade, the multitask full-screen thing was quite nice on a laptop, but I'll erase the El Capital partition for now until it has become far more stable than what it currently is.  

Why? I put all my kexts in SLE and update my system to 10.11.2 beta 3. I see no alarms with my kexts placed in SLE. They works. They are included into prelinked kernel. System loads fast.

Why? I put all my kexts in SLE and update my system to 10.11.2 beta 3. I see no alarms with my kexts placed in SLE. They works. They are included into prelinked kernel. System loads fast.

Hi Slice,

Nice to see you here, as well. :) In your experience, and with your hardware, is loading 3rd party kexts from L/E or S/L/E faster than letting Clover deal with that from EFI?

And if yes, are there any other advantages for that? Which method would you recommend?

Just curious. :)

Because Apple is now claiming explicit exclusive ownership of /S/L/E. If you want stuff in the prelinked kernel, you can still put it in /L/E. But, even though it works now, it seems likely that Apple will mangle systems using /S/L/E for nonApple kexts in the future, by (for example) not migrating non-apple kexts that are there in the migration tool, or proactively trashing anything not signed by Apple during a major update. They went out of their way to specify that /S/L/E is theirs, and /L/E is ours. I'd advise taking them at their word. It can't hurt, and it might save some pain in the future.

/efi/clover/kext will not make it in prelink kernel

I know. The question is, will it prevent the prelinked kernel from even being used? I don't think so- I think the prelinked kernel loads, and then /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/whatever kexts get kextloaded. But I haven't seen a definitive statement anywhere. And sorry, the clover thread is 444 pages right now, I just can't get through it all. I made an effort, really...

Could you send me your patched DSDT to get USB 3.0 to work, please?

I also have Asus Zenbook UX32VD.

Tried it on my Asus ZenBook UX32VD and it works exactly like Yosemite. The only difference was the creating of the USB media where simply using the normal OS X USB creator that is built into the installer app is not enough. I needed to create the USB by mounting BaseSystem.dmg and such. There are guides out there.

USB 2.0 and 3.0 works just fine with my patched DSDT (this is a 7-series Ivy). I do not use GenericUSBXHCI in any way. I just wanted to see if the new kext stuff had solved a serious graphical glitch that the UX3(1/2) seems to have where the screen glitches like crazy after boot until the screen is turned off and on again. Unfortunately it is still not fixed, and will probably never be fixed either. 

Seems like a nice upgrade, the multitask full-screen thing was quite nice on a laptop, but I'll erase the El Capital partition for now until it has become far more stable than what it currently is.  

• 3 weeks later...

I am interested in your DSDT too, running El Capitan on my UX32VD but I don't get USB3 to work. I have two versions of El Capitan installed, one with kexts in S/L/E and L/E without graphical glitch at boot, and one using Clover kext injection, with graphic glitch on boot up. Try to find out why its happening.

• 2 weeks later...

• GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UP5 TH LGA 1155 Intel Z77 Thunderbolt Motherboard 
  • Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) HD 4000 Graphics
  •  Asus GTX670 Top (GTX670-DC2T-2GD5)
Almost have everything working. Wifi / BT and USB sound work out of the box. The only issue is with my GPU. I can only get it to boot with "nv_disable=1". I attempted to use the  WebDriver-346.01.02f04.pkg drivers via Pacifist with no luck.

Hi, I have the exact configuration as yours, except for the graphics card. Can you tell me how you were able to install el capitan. I am new and am not so experienced. I was able to install yosemite but its all messed up after i tried to install el capitan. I have tried many boot flags. Some time its the bluetooth error, sometimes usb and sometimes cpu error

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday i managed to boot in El capitan with clover loader for the first time !! ( with chameleon was easier and succeeded 2 months ago). 

Specs for my old Hackintosh ( I am using the very same Pc since 10.5.8 and keep going thank god :-) ) :

Ga ex58 ud3r rev1.0 i7920 LGA1366

Nvidia GTX285 with string Nvidia in the plist to /true

Alc888 injected with toleda_audio_cloverALC and AudioID enabled in plist

Corsair 10GB RAM

I just want to ask 2 things : is it better to erase smbios strings from config plist and let the clover decide for my mac or let it as it is now.(smbios strings included in config)

If so what's the best Mac model for those specs. In the past i used Macpro 3,1 i think and now imac 12.2 

How should i write down the correct cpu type - memtype - busspeed-cpu speed in config.plist for this PC. I have some of them in SMbiosplist but i guess it is different for clover.

for example 1793 for i7 etc.

Thanks in advance

Don't set "busspeed-cpu speed" at all. Let Clover calculate the best value.

Same for many other entries in config.plist. Comment all doubtful entries with # sign.

Using Clover assumed other mind then Chameleon. You should switch your brain.

• Like 1

Using Clover assumed other mind then Chameleon. 

So true!

As an ex-user of Chameleon (I didn't know how limited it was until I tried Clover), I can confirm that, even though Clover requires a totally different approach and switching from Chameleon is not easy at all because of that, if you chose to learn and switch your mind to the new environment and way of thinking, it's totally worth it. I never regretted switching to Clover. I wish I knew about it from the very beginning so that I didn't have to try Chameleon first. Or maybe it was a good thing that I did. Cause now I can truly appreciate this nice piece of software.

Thanks, Slice.

R9 290X dual monitors, 10.11.2 full support. Keep DVI Plugged in at boot, when get to login screen plug HDMI in *Dual Screen*

WX1S0qG.jpg

Ayyylmao.Chris  :thumbsup_anim:

Any Kext for GPU or Works OOB ?

When I select Sleep it starts to turn off, but doesn't fully turn itself off. The graphics turn off but normally the blue LED on my computer will flash on and off when in sleeps. and the fans will turn off too,

What did you change in your DSDT? Mind helping me out if you can?

I posted about this last year, where my computer would fall asleep but not actually turn off and it wasn't possible to sleep/wake even though it worked fine on Yosemite.

Has anyone had a similar problem and managed to fix it?

BTW I am using Clover on EFI boot mode to install and boot up El Capitan. everything works fine except the sleep/wake function.

I posted about this last year, where my computer would fall asleep but not actually turn off and it wasn't possible to sleep/wake even though it worked fine on Yosemite.

Has anyone had a similar problem and managed to fix it?

BTW I am using Clover on EFI boot mode to install and boot up El Capitan. everything works fine except the sleep/wake function.

Had issues when my video card won't let my computer fall asleep. Fixed it by installing the Nvidia driver. Now, since you're using an AMD card, I guess that does not apply to you.

However, you might wanna make sure you've got C and P-states checked in Clover (ACPI section) and enable C6.

post-1303722-0-11691500-1453154102_thumb.png

• Like 1

Had issues when my video card won't let my computer fall asleep. Fixed it by installing the Nvidia driver. Now, since you're using an AMD card, I guess that does not apply to you.

However, you might wanna make sure you've got C and P-states checked in Clover (ACPI section) and enable C6.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-01-18 at 11.54.08 PM.png

Thanks for the help. Just checked my config file and I do indeed have those options checked.

Appreciate the reply :)

• 1 month later...

is it just me that is getting graphics glitches and artifacts in the recent 10.11.4 betas with Intel HD 3000 gfx?

the fix was to change CsrActiveConfig from 0x3 to 0x43 (add nvram privledges)

Edited by tluck