updated to jas 10.4.8 from jas 10.4.7

bgg71

60 posts in this topic

I updated from Jas 10.4.7 to jas 10.4.8 intel sse2 and after did so "about this mac" shows incorrect info. See the pictures attached. Also system profiler shows my CPU as 1.7Ghz instead of 1.4GHz. Everything seems to work otherwise except the regular video card radeon mobility 9000 , PCMCIA, IR. Anyone had a similar problem? Is it worth trying to fix this?

post-58982-1161187273_thumb.jpg

post-58982-1161187290_thumb.jpg

I assume this may be because Apple has removed there own support for P4s (IIRC, the developer machines were P4s since the Core Duo was not being shipped). It isn't like 10.4.6 or 10.4.8 got the speed right for me, anyway.

Cheers.

I wonder why so many people complain about "My Hackintosh shows my CPU XY as XZ". If my Hackintosh will show my Conroe 6400 as a celeron 400 MHz it doenst bother me if it is WORKING.

So why are so many complaining about such unimportant little thingies, when the whole thing WORKS ? Would you better like if it shows your CPU correct, but crashes every minut ????

man sad to see apple being lazy and not actually do something about getting mac os x to work on windows. yea it will be a bug for them but why not, i think Steve JOBS IS LAZY.

He's not lazy, he's CEO that isn't much into helping people steal his company's product.

I figure you were joking...

I wonder why so many people complain about "My Hackintosh shows my CPU XY as XZ". If my Hackintosh will show my Conroe 6400 as a celeron 400 MHz it doenst bother me if it is WORKING.

So why are so many complaining about such unimportant little thingies, when the whole thing WORKS ? Would you better like if it shows your CPU correct, but crashes every minut ????

And how do u know it works? What if indeed it takes the wrong frequency mine deplays as the real one and trys to overclock my CPU?

And how do u know it works? What if indeed it takes the wrong frequency mine deplays as the real one and trys to overclock my CPU?

Oh yeah. there were other issues with 10.4.8. So I wiped it out an dreinstalled 10.4.7 which works alot better on my machine.

I updated from Jas 10.4.7 to jas 10.4.8 intel sse2 and after did so "about this mac" shows incorrect info. See the pictures attached. Also system profiler shows my CPU as 1.7Ghz instead of 1.4GHz. Everything seems to work otherwise except the regular video card radeon mobility 9000 , PCMCIA, IR. Anyone had a similar problem? Is it worth trying to fix this?

I have figured out a way to manually fix your About This Mac window.

Go to /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app

Right click and click "Show Package Contents" on loginwindow.app

Once inside loginwindow.app, go to /Contents/Resources/English.lproj

You should see a file called "AboutThisMac.strings" inside English.lproj, open it up with TextEdit

Depending on weather you have a singe or dual processor, scroll down to one of the following lines of code:

Single Processor scroll down to the following code

/* final UI with a description of the processor (e.g. "600 MHz PowerPC G3") */
//"ABOUT_BOX_SINGLE_PROCESSOR_FIELD_FORMAT" = "Processor: %@";
"ABOUT_BOX_SINGLE_PROCESSOR_FIELD_FORMAT" = "%@";
"ABOUT_BOX_SINGLE_PROCESSOR_L3CACHE_FORMAT" = "%@ L3 cache";

Dual Processor scroll down to the following code

/* final UI with a description of the processors (e.g. "Dual 800 MHz PowerPC G4")
//"ABOUT_BOX_MULTIPLE_PROCESSORS_FIELD_FORMAT" = "Processors: %@";
"ABOUT_BOX_MULTIPLE_PROCESSORS_FIELD_FORMAT" = "%@";
"ABOUT_BOX_MULTIPLE_PROCESSORS_L3CACHE_FORMAT" = "%@ L3 cache per processor";

Edit the fourth line so that it matches your processor. So here's what my Celeron would look like.

"ABOUT_BOX_SINGLE_PROCESSOR_FIELD_FORMAT" = "2.7 GHz Intel Celeron D";

Next, save the file as "AboutThisMac.strings" to your desktop.

Then copy the file back over to your English.lproj folder.

Now, check out your About This Mac and enjoy your no longer unknown processor. :whistle:

Replace /system/library/systemprofiler/SPPlatformReporter.spreporter with an older version to display correct Hardware information in Systemprofiler

Also a perfect fix, OSX86Geek!!!

I'll add this old trick to get the reported names to your liking:

Edit ----->

/System/Library/SystemProfiler/SPPlatformReporter.spreporter/Contents/Resources/SPMachineTypes.plist and /English.lproj/Localizable.strings

in SPMachineTypes.plist:

<key>ADP2,1</key>

<string>AddYourDesiredMachineNameHere</string> <----- change string to suit

in Localizable.strings:

add the following line in where the model names are....

"ADP2,1" = "AddYourDesiredMachineModelHere"; <----- change to suit

I have figured out a way to manually fix your About This Mac window.

Go to /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app

Right click and click "Show Package Contents" on loginwindow.app

Once inside loginwindow.app, go to /Contents/Resources/English.lproj

You should see a file called "AboutThisMac.strings" inside English.lproj, open it up with TextEdit

Depending on weather you have a singe or dual processor, scroll down to one of the following lines of code:

Single Processor scroll down to the following code

"ABOUT_BOX_SINGLE_PROCESSOR_FIELD_FORMAT" = "%@";

Dual Processor scroll down to the following code

/* final UI with a description of the processors (e.g. "Dual 800 MHz PowerPC G4")
//"ABOUT_BOX_MULTIPLE_PROCESSORS_FIELD_FORMAT" = "Processors: %@";
"ABOUT_BOX_MULTIPLE_PROCESSORS_FIELD_FORMAT" = "%@";
"ABOUT_BOX_MULTIPLE_PROCESSORS_L3CACHE_FORMAT" = "%@ L3 cache per processor";

Edit the fourth line so that it matches your processor. So here's what my Celeron would look like.

"ABOUT_BOX_SINGLE_PROCESSOR_FIELD_FORMAT" = "2.7 GHz Intel Celeron D";

Next, save the file as "AboutThisMac.strings" to your desktop.

Then copy the file back over to your English.lproj folder.

Now, check out your About This Mac and enjoy your no longer unknown processor. :D

Yeahh!!! Siple but working. Thank you!

After I replaced SPPlatformReporter.spreporter with the one in 10.4.6 install DVD, the hardware profile became like the attached photo. Even after I reinstalled JaS 10.4.8 update, it remained blank. Does any one have the same problem?

Bruce

did u repair permissions after doing that?

p.s. BTW, are u a HK player? :D

maybe all these ppl

dont really know if the real cpu works

and dont know what is the "correct"

to consider ,ok its working or not

its just panels

and after that you will do benchmarks and tests

but how can you be sure?

p=3.14

did u repair permissions after doing that?

p.s. BTW, are u a HK player? :)

Yes, I did. I have tried to repair permission with Disk Utility, Terminal and install DVD, even in -s and -x mode, but all in vain.

And no, I am a Taiwanese.

Bruce

I've made a patch to fix the System Profiler error. PM me if you'd like to test it out. :)

Thank you so much! I'll be glad to try. Details in PM. Thanks again.

Bruce

I've made a patch to fix the System Profiler error. PM me if you'd like to test it out. ;)

Dear Colonels,

After deleted everything in \System\Library\SystemProfiler, then applied your patch and repaired permission, everything in system profile showed up as it should be. Thanks so much for your help, great work!

Cheers,

P.S. PM was sent to inform you of this result.

Bruce

post-31635-1161524311_thumb.jpg