4 New 10.4.8 Combo Updates

JaS

244 posts in this topic

just confirming that SSE2. intel only update from Jas is working perfectly

on my machine. (specs below)

also there are no problems with macvidia drivers, and there is no reason why it should be :2cents:

thank you for all the hard work that's been been put on..

post-11488-1161361186_thumb.jpg

I'm running the 10.4.7 JAS version and it works fine. When I run the 10.4.8 combo updater from JAS (same result from either 10.4.6 or 10.4.7) it boots through the grey apple screen and then gets to black screen with normal cursor and then hangs there. Not sure if this is the same issue as the blue screen hang or the GMA issue. My MB has GMA onboard but I'm not using it; using the PCI-E X1600XT instead. Should I try the GMA fix? or any other advice?

ok, thanks to the advice from JAS, got 10.4.8 working. Here's what I did:

- moved the R2D2 kext to the extensions folder

- ran the GMA installer from the 10.4.6 dvd (this resulted in boot to the black screen with red twisty gradient bar at top with movable cursor and hang there)

- booted from alternate partition and restored my hacked ATI x1000 extensions

- repaired permissions

now everything works again...

EDIT: Oops, I spoke too soon. Although the x1600 is working (can change res, etc.) I lost Quartz Extreme and Core Image somewhere along the way. I checked my hacked ATI extensions and they still show the right device and vendor IDs. Any other suggestions for this?

Thanks.

For those of you wondering how the 10.4.8 Combo Update and the GMA900 package affect video, here is a comparison of what they do relative to video:

Tabulation of what each of these packages installs:

JaS.10.4.8.SSE3.Intel.Only		10.4.7.GMA900.Support.pkg
Combo.Update.pkg				

Installs this (1) Extension:	  Installs these (9) Extensions:
  r2d2.kext	
				 				AppleIntel915.kext
								 AppleIntel915GA.plugin
								 AppleIntel915GLDriver.bundle
								 AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext
								 IOGraphicsFamily.kext
								 IONDRVSupport.kext
								 IOPCIFamily.kext
								 IPFirewall.kext
								 System.kext
							  Deletes these (4) Extensions:
								 AppleIntelGMA950.kext
								 AppleIntelGMA950GA.plugin
								 AppleIntelGMA950VADriver.bundle
								 AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver.bundle
Installs these (46) Frameworks:   Installs these (2) Frameworks:
  OpenGL.framework				  OpenGL.framework	   <-- only common item
								 Kernel.framework
  Quartz.framework
  QuartzCore.framework
  (43 other frameworks)
Installs these:
  (bunch of other system files)

So, any file that isn't replaced or deleted by installling the above is still as it was before installing the updates. None of the kexts for ATI 1x00, Callisto or Macvidia are affected.

And, as you can see, the only file that 10.4.7.GMA900.Support.pkg replaces that was installed by the 10.4.8 update is the OpenGL.framework.

Thanks JaS,

Just wanted to report a successful update with the SSE3 Intel Combo update.

I didn't know what 10.4.7 I had, but when the update was finished and asked to reboot, I checked the Exrensions folder and moved the kext to Extensions, rebooted and got real wonky graphics, so booted to safe mode and installed the gma900 package, repaired permissions, rebooted, and all is very well in OSX land.

cheers, nice update

JaS, I don't mean to be just another annoying user, but I tried to install the SSE3 Combo Update (Intel), going up from your .7 DVD (all appropriate patches were selected), the install went through but after reboot, it hung at the screen right after the gray busy screen (the blue one which usually says Starting Mac OS X or something). No HDD activity or anything. .7 works fine though. But great job on your work thus far; donation to your fund has been submitted, you deserve one more so than me :)

JaS, I don't mean to be just another annoying user, but I tried to install the SSE3 Combo Update (Intel), going up from your .7 DVD (all appropriate patches were selected), the install went through but after reboot, it hung at the screen right after the gray busy screen (the blue one which usually says Starting Mac OS X or something). No HDD activity or anything. .7 works fine though. But great job on your work thus far; donation to your fund has been submitted, you deserve one more so than me :)

Follow the guide to fix the hang at blue screen in this subforum :) and thanks for the support.

edit : umm you better check something,because the donation didn't go through.Dont want you to loose your money.

Whats up with upgrading form .4.6 with GMA950 graphics... Im having issues as well.. I tried, in vain, to copy applegma*.kext from .4.6 distro. This allowed me to boot to login screen, followed by spinning pinwheel. Tried gma support package from .4.6, no good either. Am i missing something here, I normally figure this out on my own, but im just missing something here. Hmmmm.... lol

Thanks for listening, if anyone's got an answer, please help

I am running 10.4.4 (I thought I downloaded .6) and I downloaded the AMD64 SSE3 combo update. I run it, all goes well until it hits the 5% mark and dies and says "Try agian". I try it again to no avail. 1) What more debugging information should I get to provide to you guys? and 2) Are there any other documented cases of this with a fix? A Google and Forum search got me nowhere

I have a question about 10,4,8... i all always have the impression that the system is slower to begin to do some simple task...

It look like network lag or decrypting thinks...

I did not have this problem on 10.4.7

Am i alone with this impression

I am on a amd64 3200+

I have a question about 10,4,8... i all always have the impression that the system is slower to begin to do some simple task...

It look like network lag or decrypting thinks...

I did not have this problem on 10.4.7

Am i alone with this impression

I am on a amd64 3200+

AMD is not using decrypting on the fly,so you are mistaken.

Hi, Just reporting a little problem I encountered after updating from 4.7 to 4.8 with Jas' AMD SSE3 update. After a successful installation, I noticed some PPC apps stoped working, but not all of them.

To be more specific, Office and Adobe Creative Suite 2 still works, but Alias Sketchbook Pro, Google SketchUp Pro 5, World Book 2006, Luxor Wrapped wouldn't open anymore.

All the crash reports include this:

PID: 56*(depends on different apps)

Thread: Unknown

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)

Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000303

Dont know what caused this though

Piece of advice :-

1. Warning - Stuffit might screw everything [For example , sudo might not work , applications would just quit..Internet might not work]

Before installation , go to System Prefs. select Accounts and then remove all the stuffit junk [including MagicMenu] and everything else , just leave iTunes thingy there. After installation , you could restore rest of your junk , but dont restore Stuffit's menubar !

ok, thanks to the advice from JAS, got 10.4.8 working. Here's what I did:

- moved the R2D2 kext to the extensions folder

- ran the GMA installer from the 10.4.6 dvd (this resulted in boot to the black screen with red twisty gradient bar at top with movable cursor and hang there)

- booted from alternate partition and restored my hacked ATI x1000 extensions

- repaired permissions

now everything works again...

EDIT: Oops, I spoke too soon. Although the x1600 is working (can change res, etc.) I lost Quartz Extreme and Core Image somewhere along the way. I checked my hacked ATI extensions and they still show the right device and vendor IDs. Any other suggestions for this?

Thanks.

anybody have a clue where to look for the problem that caused me to lose QE and Core Image?

Installing 10.4.7.GMA900.Support.pkg on the well working JaS 10.4.8 didn't seem to make any difference,

but safe booting in gui (F8 -x or -x -f) is still not possible (red screen)... I thought maybe 10.4.7.GMA900.Support.pkg will sort it out, but nope...

I did the updates to my two laptops this morning, going from 10.4.5, to 10.4.8.

Generally it all seems to work well, I even noticed my broadcom wireless adapter turn up on the desktop, however, I have a couple of issues with Safari (only on one pc - a lenovo 3000 c100) and iMail on both.

Safari on the Lenovo (Celeron M) keeps crashing, not a biggy, as I can use mozilla.

iMail appears to work, but when I try to reply or create an email, the to and cc boxes are only about 1mm in height and impossible to enter any information.

I am guessing this could be because I jumped from 10.4.5 to 10.4.8 using the Intel SSE2 patch?

Any ideas anyone (I can provide a screen grab of iMail if this would help)?

(After a little playing around I can tell you:

1. It's raining here, so the inclination to do anything else is fairly small.

2. iMail works under rosetta, but is painfully slow.

3. I renamed iMail and Safari to iMail-10.4.8 and Safari-10.4.8 and reinstalled the respective programs off the 10.4.6 disk, these work well, I'm not sure what 10.4.8 version give me..)

4. Given that iMail works under rosetta, I am wondering if more programs are coming with these SSE3 commands that aren't working correctly?

)

Rob

Whats up with upgrading form .4.6 with GMA950 graphics... Im having issues as well.. I tried, in vain, to copy applegma*.kext from .4.6 distro. This allowed me to boot to login screen, followed by spinning pinwheel. Tried gma support package from .4.6, no good either. Am i missing something here, I normally figure this out on my own, but im just missing something here. Hmmmm.... lol

Thanks for listening, if anyone's got an answer, please help

I have a similar probelm. I am using Callisto b008. I cannot get past the login screen either.