IntelMausiEthernet.kext for Intel onboard LAN

Mieze
1,013 posts in this topic

Is there some reason to have two separate targets?

Yes, there are several reasons:

• I don't want to give up support for Lion.
  • Version 2.x.x is an experimental fork of the driver.
  • Both forks will be maintained in parallel.

Mieze

Mieze

Would you rather us test v2 or v1?

Any particular focus for testing of either?

As version 1.0.0d6 is quite stable and close to a final release, I suggest to use it for productive systems while version 2.x.x will evolve during the next weeks and was made for testing.

Mieze 

As version 1.0.0d6 is quite stable and close to a final release, I suggest to use it for productive systems while version 2.x.x will evolve during the next weeks and was made for testing.

Mieze

At the moment, using v2 without issue...

@ATIguy123: Please send me your kernel logs showing the issue. Maybe I'll find something that helps to track it down. By the way, which mainboard are you using?

Mieze

• 2 weeks later...

I released version 2.0.0d2 a few minutes ago which changes the tx descriptor write back policy for 82579, I217 and I218 to prevent random tx deadlocks.

Good luck!

Mieze

• Like 3

Hallo Mieze (äh sorry, I mean hello :D  )

your driver (v2.0.0d2) runs perfect with Mavericks 10.9.5 and Intel i217 onboard on GA Z87MX-D3H. Here a screen shot of a 5GB test to a Synology DS1010+ NAS with SynologyRaid (similar Raid5 - with the "slow" WD green drives) over gigabit-ethernet.

post-657179-0-99125800-1428668907_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Is there some reason to have two separate targets?

Mieze

i have compiled v2.0.0d2 targeting sdk10.7 and driver still works in Lion. what feature would i miss if i do it this way?

Edited by calibre

i have compiled v2.0.0d2 targeting sdk10.7 and driver still works in Lion. what feature would i miss if i do it this way?

Although the driver might show version 2.0, you actually built version 1.0.0d7 because 2.0 would fail to load on Lion.

Mieze

I've now experienced two different kernel panics, on an otherwise stable machine, and this driver was the only one mentioned in the kernel backtrace of the crash report. (1 each kernel panic on 2.0.0d1 and 2.0.0d2)

Mieze, I've sent you a PM on the subject. Meanwhile, going back to 1.0.0d6, as I'm not able to tolerate random rebooting on this machine, even if it only happens every few days...

Your driver working very good  :)

This is  the first time in Yosemite My Info About 

this Network is showing properly

Thanks for your great Work  :wink_anim:

Do you have Paypal account?

g10.png

Just wanted to say thanks for this driver! OS X definitely seems to recognise my I217LM better compared to the AppleIntelE1000e.kext, though it's hard to tell if it's giving me better performance or not. However I can at least confirm that I've had no issues thus far, as everything seems to working perfectly, so that's definitely a big plus!

I also wanted to ask; what's the best way to verify that the new features are working or, if some of them aren't supported on all models, how would I go about finding out which features I'm currently benefiting from?

For example, one feature listed is offloaded checksums, however if I look under netstat -s under the IP section I see entries such as "3298032 headers (65961256 bytes) checksummed in software". Does this mean I'm not benefiting from this feature at all, or is that some messages can't have their checksums offloaded? The number isn't the same as total number of packets for that section, so it implies that not all packets required checksumming in software, but is this because the rest were offloaded, or because checksums had already been computed in advance somewhere?

Probably not really important, I'm curious to know which features I'm benefiting from :)

I also wanted to ask; what's the best way to verify that the new features are working or, if some of them aren't supported on all models, how would I go about finding out which features I'm currently benefiting from?

In Terminal type "ifconfig -v" and you will see "TXSTART" under "eflags" and QFQ as the scheduler while using version 2.

The driver enables all offload features for all supported devices, but OS X doesn't support checksum offload of packets with complex IP headers, e.g. any packet with IPv4 header options or IPv6 extension headers will always be checksummed in software. 

Mieze

• Like 1

FYI...

the 2.0.0d2 version has been rock solid for me on my Lenovo T420

Intel 82579LM PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet:

Name: ethernet

Type: Ethernet

Bus: PCI

Slot: PCI Slot 1638400

Vendor ID: 0x8086

Device ID: 0x1502

Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x17aa

Subsystem ID: 0x21ce

Revision ID: 0x0004

BSD name: en0

Kext name: IntelMausiEthernet.kext

Version: 2.0.0d2

So today I included this kext in the T420 Guide thread so it should get a wider audience from that group. 

Thank you.

P.S. I also have been using your other recent kext v2.0.0d2 for RTL8111 (on my gigabyte systems with Realtek 8168) - and it has been working very well for me. 

• Like 2

I just pushed version 2.0.0, which is identical to 2.0.0d2, to GitHub and uploaded a prebuilt binary to the download section of this site a few minutes ago.

Have fun!   :cat:

Mieze

• Like 8