Workstation 11/12, Player 7/12, Fusion 7/8 and ESXi 6 Mac OS X Unlocker 2

Donk

691 posts in this topic

@donk: good news, I have been able to fix everything with minor efforts. The NFS mount was still there but it was pointing to a wrong directory. I have recreated the datastore and when you browse the existing machines, you can select "add to inventory" on the .vmx file. All images are back and working again.

I also don't think this was​ caused by your unlocker but either the new firmware 4.2.0 on my QNAP (the ESXi wasn't rebooted since I installed it) or some changes in the latest ESXi patches. Something in the filesystem handling on the QNAP must have changed, for example the Recycle Folders on QNAP are now appearing as a Windows Recycle Bin which was not the case in the old firmware versions.

Whatever, good to know that this can easily be fixed.

I'm still curious ​about the progress of the ESXi unlocker issue.

Just on a side note, the unlocker for Windows isn't working either. I can boot my Apple MacOS image but I do not have the option MacOS when creating new images. If I see correctly, the unlocker for windows just replaces the darwin files.

Sorry for more problems :angel: ​​

@donk: good news, I have been able to fix everything with minor efforts. The NFS mount was still there but it was pointing to a wrong directory. I have recreated the datastore and when you browse the existing machines, you can select "add to inventory" on the .vmx file. All images are back and working again.

I also don't think this was​ caused by your unlocker but either the new firmware 4.2.0 on my QNAP (the ESXi wasn't rebooted since I installed it) or some changes in the latest ESXi patches. Something in the filesystem handling on the QNAP must have changed, for example the Recycle Folders on QNAP are now appearing as a Windows Recycle Bin which was not the case in the old firmware versions.

Whatever, good to know that this can easily be fixed.

I'm still curious ​about the progress of the ESXi unlocker issue.

Just on a side note, the unlocker for Windows isn't working either. I can boot my Apple MacOS image but I do not have the option MacOS when creating new images. If I see correctly, the unlocker for windows just replaces the darwin files.

Sorry for more problems :angel: ​​

That's good, I can imagine the pain when that goes wrong.

On the ESXi side  there seems to be something going wrong when the Python script runs but I cannot see what that is currently as the output from jst68's tests seems to indicate all is OK. One question do you have VMs set to start automatically at start-up of the host? The symptom seems to be a corrupted /unlocker folder which I am guessing is because the vmx executables are already in use.

For Workstation the patches also change the same files as ESXi but also the vmwarebase.dll which enables the dialog box for new guests to have OS X. Can you post the output please from running it on Workstation? I have seen issues when there are other VMware products installed but thought I had caught them in the installer CMD script. Also I have found products such as McAfee Host Intrusion Protection can stop the patching process. So do you have any other VMware installation on the host, and any security products?

I have some news:

Regarding VMware Playe​r and unlocking:

VMware Player has now been unlocked correctly, I can now select MacOS for new images.​ The only error that came up during the unlocker installation was:

~Datei vmware-vmx-stats.exe nicht gefunden (not found) -> this file does not seem to exist. I do have VMware Player and vSphere Client installed on this Windows 8.1 machine.

I cannot boot from the InstallESD.dmg though (Install OS X Mountain Lion.app), I thought this was supposed to be possible. Not sure though. The existing machine still boots but it already did when I didn't have the MacOS option for new machines.

Regarding ESXi:

I shut down all machines and then installed the unlocker 2.0.7 again. Looks good this time, no Errors came up. Yes, I did have images in Paused state when rebooting with the previous attempts.

However, the virtual mac​​​​hine that runs in VMware Player (see above) still does not boot on ESXi. Same error in the log (The CPU has been disabled).

/unlocker now contains the correct files. I cannot copy and paste text here, not even through the menu function (you can't confirm the dialog with OK).

Just to confirm, what exactly do I need to edit in the .vmx of the 10.x image​ and which settings in the client? Different websites are mentioning different things here regarding HWversion, CPU and other points.

I can confirm that I do have an existing Mac OS 10.10 machine that works fine in VMware Player but does not work in ESXi 6.0.0 due to the CPU has been disabled issue. If I can get that to work on ESXi, I will be pleased.

Using: Ubuntu 15.04 + Vmware Workstation 12 Player

VMware Unlocker 2.0.7
===============================
Copyright: Dave Parsons 2011-15
Creating backup folder...
‘/usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-vmx’ -> ‘./backup/vmware-vmx’
‘/usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-vmx-debug’ -> ‘./backup/vmware-vmx-debug’
‘/usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-vmx-stats’ -> ‘./backup/vmware-vmx-stats’
‘/usr/lib/vmware/lib/libvmwarebase.so/libvmwarebase.so’ -> ‘./backup/libvmwarebase.so’
Patching...
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "./unlocker.py", line 402, in <module>
main()
File "./unlocker.py", line 352, in main
vmx_version = subprocess.check_output(["vmware", "-v"])
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 566, in check_output
process = Popen(stdout=PIPE, *popenargs, **kwargs)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 710, in __init__
errread, errwrite)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 1335, in _execute_child
raise child_exception
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory

- I'm going to upgrade my vSphere system to version 6.0
- In Unlocker version 2.0.7, can I power-on OSX virtual machine directly using vCenter now or i still have to power-on via ESXi host? And does it support vMotion?

Thank you very much.

OK so points 1 & 2 relate to the host ESXi box. The smcPresent variable is for the host not the guest and enables all the operations for vSphere to be enabled for an OS X guest. It is stable and you should be able to carry out power ops, and anything else you can do from vSphere against the ESXi host which is running OS X guests. The freezes you has with pre 1.3.1 unlocker were due to the way I over-used the ram disks and are resolved now.

- I think this post means I can power-on my OSX VM using vCenter now?  :)

I fix the python code and works. But my VM get error everytime!

VMware Player unrecoverable error: (vcpu-0)
Unexpected signal: 11.
A log file is available in "/home/dcbasso/vmware/OS X 1/vmware.log".  
You can request support.  

I'm got this error when the Mac OS try to emit a sound... 

I'm using ubuntu 15.04. I disable sound at vmware startup and appears to solve the problem...  There is a better way to fix it?

Hi all,

I was getting the same error as in post #232 when trying to install  unlocker 2.0.7;  I have gotten OS X installed on VMplayer on my Thinkpad x220 running Ubuntu 14.  The hack i used was simply to ignore the subprocess check on line 352 as below:

#        vmx_version = subprocess.check_output(["vmware", "-v"])
        vmx_version = 'VMware Workstation 12'

Just thought I'd throw that out there as it worked for me...   Cheers!

Hi all,

I was getting the same error as in post #232 when trying to install  unlocker 2.0.7;  I have gotten OS X installed on VMplayer on my Thinkpad x220 running Ubuntu 14.  The hack i used was simply to ignore the subprocess check on line 352 as below:

#        vmx_version = subprocess.check_output(["vmware", "-v"])

vmx_version = 'VMware Workstation 12'

Just thought I'd throw that out there as it worked for me...   Cheers!

I have fixed it and will release it soon.

Yes, the VMWare Player works but this is of limited interest for me. I am interested in the unlocker for ESXi 6.0.0 but unfortunately it appears that we are stuck here. I was hoping that this would be fixed one day.

Hi I am back on the scene having had to be away for a few weeks. Can you catch me up on where you are with the ESXi system please? There must be something specific to your system causing the issue, and will have to try and find out what that is so I can advise or fix the code.

H​i,

As much as my ESXi ​6.0.0 is concerned, I have been able to install the unlocker 2.0.7 now and it basically appears to be working. For example, vmx is now a link to /unlocker/vmx which wasn't the case before.

However, MacOS images still don't boot up​ as it is still throwing the "cpu has been disabled" error in the logs. The same image works fine in VMware Player.

But then, the requirements for the MacOS image may not be 100% clear. Several websites report different parameters you had to modify, e.g. HWVersion9, memory areas etc. - what are the minimum requirements for the unlocker to work?

I've been waiting to update to esxi6 (el Capitan) since I have everything working well under 5.5 (Yosemite). Now enough early adopters have ironed out the bugs so...

1) does el Capitan work fine using unlocker 2.07?

2) does el Capitan still need beamoff with esxi?

3) what is currently supported esxi6 build or is the unlocker build agnostic?

4) is this combination (esxi6, unlocker 2.07, el Capitan) supported, ready for prime time and a good choice?

Thanks

Keith

I've been waiting to update to esxi6 (el Capitan) since I have everything working well under 5.5 (Yosemite). Now enough early adopters have ironed out the bugs so...

1) does el Capitan work fine using unlocker 2.07?

2) does el Capitan still need beamoff with esxi?

3) what is currently supported esxi6 build or is the unlocker build agnostic?

4) is this combination (esxi6, unlocker 2.07, el Capitan) supported, ready for prime time and a good choice?

Thanks

Keith

I am new here, but I cannot get ESXi 6 working with El Capitan (I've tried many different things and can't get it to work or even get an error that gives me a lead).  It looks like frankmacintosh is in the same situation.

Overall I do like El Capitan.  I'm running it on my MacBook Pro, but my Hackintosh is still on Yosemite.

That's correct, as it stands, I cannot run any MacOS image on ESXI 6.0.0. They don't boot due to the This CPU has been disabled in the logs. In VMware Workstation, the unlocker works fine and runs all MacOS versions I tried so far.

W​hile the first unlocker problems on ESXI were installation problems (links not being created etc.)​ but the unlocker is now properly installed. It just doesn't do what it's supposed to do.

However, I have also qu​estioned the exact requirements for the unlocker as much as the virtual machine settings are concerned. There was no feedback as of yet.

I fix the python code and works. But my VM get error everytime!

VMware Player unrecoverable error: (vcpu-0)
Unexpected signal: 11.
A log file is available in "/home/dcbasso/vmware/OS X 1/vmware.log".  
You can request support.  

I'm got this error when the Mac OS try to emit a sound... 

I'm using ubuntu 15.04. I disable sound at vmware startup and appears to solve the problem...  There is a better way to fix it?

Could u post ur changes to the python code. I am getting the same error

Copyright: Dave Parsons 2011-15
Creating backup folder...
‘/usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-vmx’ -> ‘./backup/vmware-vmx’
‘/usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-vmx-debug’ -> ‘./backup/vmware-vmx-debug’
‘/usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-vmx-stats’ -> ‘./backup/vmware-vmx-stats’
‘/usr/lib/vmware/lib/libvmwarebase.so/libvmwarebase.so’ -> ‘./backup/libvmwarebase.so’
Patching...
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./unlocker.py", line 402, in <module>
    main()
  File "./unlocker.py", line 352, in main
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 566, in check_output
    process = Popen(stdout=PIPE, *popenargs, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 710, in __init__
    errread, errwrite)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 1335, in _execute_child
    raise child_exception
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory

Edit: Fixed it by the following

Remove the following lines from the python code

if vmx_version.startswith('VMware Workstation 12'):

else:
            vmwarebase = '/usr/lib/vmware/lib/libvmwarebase.so.0/libvmwarebase.so.0'

That's correct, as it stands, I cannot run any MacOS image on ESXI 6.0.0. They don't boot due to the This CPU has been disabled in the logs. In VMware Workstation, the unlocker works fine and runs all MacOS versions I tried so far.

W​hile the first unlocker problems on ESXI were installation problems (links not being created etc.)​ but the unlocker is now properly installed. It just doesn't do what it's supposed to do.

However, I have also qu​estioned the exact requirements for the unlocker as much as the virtual machine settings are concerned. There was no feedback as of yet.

Well this isn't an unlocker issue but due to CPU requirements of different versions of OS X. It is possible to mask the CPU to match something that a version of OS X likes. Can you supply the details of the CPUs from the 2 hosts you are using?

One thing to know is that if the ESXi box is an AMD CPU you will have to use a 3rd party kernel as OS X does not have any built-in support for AMD CPUs.

• Like 1

Well this isn't an unlocker issue but due to CPU requirements of different versions of OS X. It is possible to mask the CPU to match something that a version of OS X likes. Can you supply the details of the CPUs from the 2 hosts you are using?

One thing to know is that if the ESXi box is an AMD CPU you will have to use a 3rd party kernel as OS X does not have any built-in support for AMD CPUs.

As always, thanks!

I actually don't see the CPU error in wmware.log (I have been hackintoshing for 3 years, but am brand new to ESXi).  However, I am trying to run on a:

Gigabyte GA-787X-UD5 TH Motherboard

Intel Core i-4770K Quad Core 3.5GHZ 8MB Cache Processor (BX80646I74770K)

One thing that is interesting is that if I try to install OSX (tried El Capitan and Yosemite) on ESXi directly then I do get the Apple logo boot screen from booting on the CDROM, but i pinwheel at about 80% of the progress bar and there is nothing written to vmware.log during the last few minutes when it pinwheels.

Edit:  Here are some lines pulled from my vmware.log that might provide insight:

2015-11-08T14:41:13.028Z| vmx| I120: DictionaryLoad: Cannot open file "/usr/lib/vmware/config": No such file or directory.

2015-11-08T14:41:13.028Z| vmx| I120: DictionaryLoad: Cannot open file "//.vmware/config": No such file or directory.

2015-11-08T14:41:13.028Z| vmx| I120: DictionaryLoad: Cannot open file "/usr/lib/vmware/config": No such file or directory.

2015-11-08T14:41:13.029Z| vmx| I120: DictionaryLoad: Cannot open file "//.vmware/config": No such file or directory.

2015-11-08T14:41:13.029Z| vmx| I120: DictionaryLoad: Cannot open file "//.vmware/preferences": No such file or directory.

2015-11-08T14:41:13.053Z| vmx| I120: Vix: [64415 mainDispatch.c:4292]: VMAutomation_ReportPowerOpFinished: statevar=0, newAppState=1870, success=1 additionalError=0

2015-11-08T14:41:13.053Z| vmx| I120: Vix: [64415 mainDispatch.c:4292]: VMAutomation_ReportPowerOpFinished: statevar=1, newAppState=1873, success=1 additionalError=0

2015-11-08T14:41:13.053Z| vmx| I120: Vix: [64415 mainDispatch.c:4292]: VMAutomation_ReportPowerOpFinished: statevar=2, newAppState=1877, success=1 additionalError=0

2015-11-08T14:41:13.053Z| vmx| I120: Vix: [64415 mainDispatch.c:4292]: VMAutomation_ReportPowerOpFinished: statevar=3, newAppState=1881, success=1 additionalError=0

2015-11-08T14:41:13.059Z| vmx| I120: Vix: [64415 mainDispatch.c:4292]: VMAutomation_ReportPowerOpFinished: statevar=1, newAppState=1873, success=1 additionalError=0

2015-11-08T14:41:13.059Z| vmx| I120: Vix: [64415 mainDispatch.c:4292]: VMAutomation_ReportPowerOpFinished: statevar=2, newAppState=1878, success=1 additionalError=0

2015-11-08T14:41:13.092Z| vmx| I120: Vix: [64415 mainDispatch.c:4292]: VMAutomation_ReportPowerOpFinished: statevar=0, newAppState=1871, success=1 additionalError=0

2015-11-08T14:41:13.093Z| vmx| I120: Vix: [64415 mainDispatch.c:4292]: VMAutomation_ReportPowerOpFinished: statevar=1, newAppState=1873, success=1 additionalError=0

2015-11-08T14:41:13.205Z| vmx| I120: OvhdMem OvhdUser_BusError 

As always, thanks!

I actually don't see the CPU error in wmware.log (I have been hackintoshing for 3 years, but am brand new to ESXi).  However, I am trying to run on a:

Gigabyte GA-787X-UD5 TH Motherboard

Intel Core i-4770K Quad Core 3.5GHZ 8MB Cache Processor (BX80646I74770K)

One thing that is interesting is that if I try to install OSX (tried El Capitan and Yosemite) on ESXi directly then I do get the Apple logo boot screen from booting on the CDROM, but i pinwheel at about 80% of the progress bar and there is nothing written to vmware.log during the last few minutes when it pinwheels.

Edit:  Here are some lines pulled from my vmware.log that might provide insight:

Just to check you are using a clean retail copy of El Capitan and Yosemite? No Clover, fakesmc etc?

How exactly did you create the installer image from the installer applications?

Can you attach to a post (not inlne text) the vmx and log files from a failing VM on ESXI?

Just to check you are using a clean retail copy of El Capitan and Yosemite? No Clover, fakesmc etc?

How exactly did you create the installer image from the installer applications?

Can you attach to a post (not inlne text) the vmx and log files from a failing VM on ESXI?

Yes, clean retail copy of El Capitan from the App Store.  I can create the VM on either a real Macbook Pro, or my Hackintosh and it works without any problems.  I can move the VM between my Macbook Pro and Hackintosh and it also works.  It is only when I upload the VM to ESXI that I have problems.

I have attached three files:

- osx.vmx.txt (VMX file - stock, but added smc.version)

- vmware.log-INSTALL.txt (vmware.log when trying to install on ESXi directly)

- vmware.log.OSX.txt (vmware.log when taking a working El Capitan VM and uploading it to ESXi)

osx.vmx.txtvmware.log-INSTALL.txtvmware.log.OSX.txt

Yes, clean retail copy of El Capitan from the App Store.  I can create the VM on either a real Macbook Pro, or my Hackintosh and it works without any problems.  I can move the VM between my Macbook Pro and Hackintosh and it also works.  It is only when I upload the VM to ESXI that I have problems.

I have attached three files:

- osx.vmx.txt (VMX file - stock, but added smc.version)

- vmware.log-INSTALL.txt (vmware.log when trying to install on ESXi directly)

- vmware.log.OSX.txt (vmware.log when taking a working El Capitan VM and uploading it to ESXi)

attachicon.gifosx.vmx.txtattachicon.gifvmware.log-INSTALL.txtattachicon.gifvmware.log.OSX.txt

When you upload the guest to ESXi it changes the guestos parameter to "other". You need to change it to the correct OS X version and then try again.

• Like 1

Very gracious  :drool:

It works!

I went into general settings and selected "OS X 10.11" as the operating system, rebooted and it works fine.

So I am new to ESXi and virtualization of OSX... I read a lot of these threads before I posted, but must have missed the one above.

Is it worth writing a step by step guide of what I did to get it working?  I'd be glad to put that together.

@donk:

Thanks for your efforts regarding this issue.

Yes, my ESXi server is a HP ProLiant MicroServer 2 CPUs AMD Turion II Neo N54L Dual-Core @ 2,196 GHz. I am aware of the AMD issue but I've been experimenting with the UEFI files as well as the CPU masking but no success. I also have the MacOS10.8 Niresh image which is supposed to support AMD out of the box.

What exactly do I have to configure? Do I need the UEFI file​​ efi64-srvr.rom? Which CPU masking and what else in the .vmx? I do have a legal 10.8 Installer from the AppStore as well as I purchased 10.8 some time back. However it needs to be done, I would love to have a working MacOS on my ESXi rather than on my Workstation.

A HowTo for this would indeed be a good idea.​