Workstation 11/12, Player 7/12, Fusion 7/8 and ESXi 6 Mac OS X Unlocker 2

Donk

691 posts in this topic

I figured out how to run the local.sh.  There were no errors that i could see.  Here is the vmware.log.

Edit:  Added the screen output of running local.sh also.

Thanks

Edit:  updated vmware log.  it ends at the point when i get the stop screen.  Also attached screenshot of the screen it stops at.

local.sh.txt.zip

vmware.zip

post-1676375-0-68676700-1456546831_thumb.png

only 128 mb graphic memory is detected on my vmware mac el capitan..........anyway to increase it? i have intel hd 4400 & nvidia 820m

No not yet sadly enough i have a 4gb ram graphic card and would be so sweet to be able to use it :)

nobody has found a way to modify the graphical above 128 MB yet either.

No not yet sadly enough i have a 4gb ram graphic card and would be so sweet to be able to use it :)

nobody has found a way to modify the graphical above 128 MB yet either.

the only reason I want to use osx is Affinity Designer? 

Its not working for me on vm mac? could you try it on urs? its not showing canvas for me

the only reason I want to use osx is Affinity Designer? 

Its not working for me on vm mac? could you try it on urs? its not showing canvas for me

This program need QE/CI hardware acceleration. This is not available in an OS X guest running on VMware (or Parallels and VirtualBox). There is a thread in theis forum on using pass-thru graphics using KVM on Linux host.

I figured out how to run the local.sh.  There were no errors that i could see.  Here is the vmware.log.

Edit:  Added the screen output of running local.sh also.

Thanks

Edit:  updated vmware log.  it ends at the point when i get the stop screen.  Also attached screenshot of the screen it stops at.

How did you create the installer ISO image? It does not look like it is bootable.

I used the createinstaller script to create the Bootable volume, then created the Bootable dmg from that.

Edit: I get through about 75% of the boot progress bar below the apple before i get the stop screen.

Edit again: I know the dmg works because I've restored it to a usb drive and i can boot my mac pro up with it.

I used the createinstaller script to create the Bootable volume, then created the Bootable dmg from that.

Edit: I get through about 75% of the boot progress bar below the apple before i get the stop screen.

Can you boot to the VMware EFI shell and then run the boot loader with verbose settings?

Something like:

fs0:\usr\standalone\i386\boot.efi -v

Can you boot to the VMware EFI shell and then run the boot loader with verbose settings?

Something like:

fs0:\usr\standalone\i386\boot.efi -v

I was wondering how to do that.  Thanks.  Also, how can i log whats happening?

As you can see, I get to the bluetooth error and i can't see what the next line is b/c the screen gets all jumbled up.

post-1676375-0-67285800-1456603369_thumb.png

post-1676375-0-00782900-1456603379_thumb.png

hello,

unfortunalely, I'm unable to create a vm from Mac OS X El Capitan V.10.11.3, please see attached zipped log-file and 'unsuccessful.pdf';

my system:

mainboard Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H with Intel i7-4770 cpu and nvidia gtx-750 graphics

vmware Workstation 12 Pro (see attached pdf) and Unlocker 2.08 (also tested with 2.07);

but I've been able yesterday to install Mac OS X El Capitan V.10.11.3 on this system, from a stick with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 6.1.1 and then [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 8.0.1;

please, can you help? what's wrong?

Kind regards,

WolfRedli

vmware.zip

unsuccessful.pdf

VMWare_Workstation_12.pdf

hello,

unfortunalely, I'm unable to create a vm from Mac OS X El Capitan V.10.11.3, please see attached zipped log-file and 'unsuccessful.pdf';

my system:

mainboard Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H with Intel i7-4770 cpu and nvidia gtx-750 graphics

vmware Workstation 12 Pro (see attached pdf) and Unlocker 2.08 (also tested with 2.07);

but I've been able yesterday to install Mac OS X El Capitan V.10.11.3 on this system, from a stick with ##### 6.1.1 and then ##### 8.0.1;

please, can you help? what's wrong?

Kind regards,

WolfRedli

Looks like your ISO isn't bootable. 

2016-02-28T19:12:40.317+01:00| vcpu-0| I125: [msg.Backdoor.OsNotFound] No operating system was found. If you have an operating system installation disc, you can insert the disc into the system's CD-ROM drive and restart the virtual machine.

How did you create it?

Just an update.  I got to work and tried my usb drive and it wasn't bootable on an actual Mac Pro, got the same 'waiting for root device' error.  I know the dmg is good b/c i restored it to an external ssd drive and the Mac Pro booted on it fine.  Since I had restored the dmg to the usb drive via TransMac on my pc, I tried imaging it via the createinstallmedia script in El Capitan.  Still no go. So, it appears my usb drive is incompatible for some reason.  Gonna take the external SSD drive home and try to boot my vm from it.  Crossing my fingers.

Ok, so i finally got El Capitan installed.  Yay!  I couldn't get any usb thumb drive to work.  Just needed to boot off an external hard drive.  Once i did, it loaded right past the 'still waiting for root device' error and installed with no issues.  Thanks again for all the help guys.

Edit:  I guess just to be more specific, the external drive was an SSD inside a USB 2.0 enclosure I had. (Ultra USB 2.0" Portable Hard Drive Enclosure - 2.5" SATA HDD or SSD)

Final Edit: I figured out what i was doing wrong finally.  When you format a drive GPT in OS X it creates a hidden EFI partition that is required to boot. When i was creating my .dmg backup file for future restores, i was creating it from the El Captian partition b/c it was the only one visible.  When i did a restore, I would restore the usb drive from that .dmg file, and, of course, it was missing the hidden EFI partition.  I have recreated my .dmg backup file from the drive itself instead of the partition, and this includes the hidden EFI partition.  Now I can boot from any of my usb devices, that i have restored my new .dmg file to.

Now that I have an El Capitan VM, can it run on our production esxi server without the patch?

Only if your ESXi Production Server is a Mac Mini or Mac Pro, otherwise you will need the unlocker.

Only if your ESXi Production Server is a Mac Mini or Mac Pro, otherwise you will need the unlocker.

It's ESXi.  So, the patches do things other than just add the OS X options to the OS list?

What would you guys say the level of risk would be to putting unlocker on a production esxi server?  Do you think we'd have issues with getting support?  It seems like it'd be easy enough to uninstall unlocker if we ever had to get support from Vmware.  Our old snow leopard server is on it's last legs.  We want to try to run an El Capitan vm to share files between our Mac users.  Would you guys recommend it?  It sucks that Apple doesn't sell servers any more.

What would you guys say the level of risk would be to putting unlocker on a production esxi server?  Do you think we'd have issues with getting support?  It seems like it'd be easy enough to uninstall unlocker if we ever had to get support from Vmware.  Our old snow leopard server is on it's last legs.  We want to try to run an El Capitan vm to share files between our Mac users.  Would you guys recommend it?  It sucks that Apple doesn't sell servers any more.

If your ESXi environment is on Apple hardware i.e. Mac Pro it is fully supported by VMware, see the VMware Hardware Compatibility list, Mini Mac's are not officially supported, but plenty of people run them in production environments to run ESXi. Running OS X on ESXi on non Apple hardware is definitely NOT supported by VMware and is against the Apple EULA, so we cannot recommend running OS X on non Apple ESXi production servers.

The latest unlocker 2.0.8 does more in ESXi to provide support for OS X at both the Hypervisor and vCenter Server level, previous releases would not support using vCenter to access OS X VM's.

• 2 weeks later...

This program need QE/CI hardware acceleration. This is not available in an OS X guest running on VMware (or Parallels and VirtualBox). There is a thread in theis forum on using pass-thru graphics using KVM on Linux host.

How did you create the installer ISO image? It does not look like it is bootable.

So is it definitively the case, as of now, that KVM on Linux with graphics passthrough is the only way to get accelerated graphics for an OS X guest? What about on ESXi 6? Is there an option to do GPU passthrough? And on a virtual OS X guest, what about installing some custom kexts that will enable accelerated graphics? It seems as of now that not even VMware Fusion running an OS X guest on native Apple hardware provides successful hardware acceleration.  I wonder if this may one day change.  Anyhow I'm interested to know what options are out there now to get accelerated graphics working either on a Yosemite or Mountain Lion OS X guest.

So is it definitively the case, as of now, that KVM on Linux with graphics passthrough is the only way to get accelerated graphics for an OS X guest? What about on ESXi 6? Is there an option to do GPU passthrough? And on a virtual OS X guest, what about installing some custom kexts that will enable accelerated graphics? It seems as of now that not even VMware Fusion running an OS X guest on native Apple hardware provides successful hardware acceleration.  I wonder if this may one day change.  Anyhow I'm interested to know what options are out there now to get accelerated graphics working either on a Yosemite or Mountain Lion OS X guest.

This thread may help. It is for ESXi5 but I would expect much of it to be still useable http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285733-graphics-acceleration-in-esxi-51-and-os-x-mountain-lion-vm/

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everybody

I'm using VMware Player 12.0.0 with Unlocker 2.0.7 to run El Capitan on Windows 10 Pro 64 bit (to be able to use XCode for developping small iPhone apps without Mac). I have installed the darwin.iso on the OS X side and it runs smoothly.

There is one functionality I miss: the "Unity mode" of VMware which would allow me to open OS X apps in "native" windows of Win 10. It doesn't work.

Questions about the new version of Unlocker 2.0.8:

- does ist allow to use the "Unity mode" on VMware Player with OS X on Windows?

- if yes, does it need a new "darwin.iso" file and if yes, where do I find it?

Thanks and Regards

Patrick

Hello everybody

I'm using VMware Player 12.0.0 with Unlocker 2.0.7 to run El Capitan on Windows 10 Pro 64 bit (to be able to use XCode for developping small iPhone apps without Mac). I have installed the darwin.iso on the OS X side and it runs smoothly.

There is one functionality I miss: the "Unity mode" of VMware which would allow me to open OS X apps in "native" windows of Win 10. It doesn't work.

Questions about the new version of Unlocker 2.0.8:

- does ist allow to use the "Unity mode" on VMware Player with OS X on Windows?

- if yes, does it need a new "darwin.iso" file and if yes, where do I find it?

Thanks and Regards

Patrick

The is no support for Unity mode in the VMware products for OS X guests. VMware would have to enable that with the OS X tools and allow the main VMware code to switch the guest into Unity mode..