Workstation 11/12, Player 7/12, Fusion 7/8 and ESXi 6 Mac OS X Unlocker 2

Donk

691 posts in this topic

After installing Unlucker2 on win7 , VMWare11 pro , and create MACOS VM when run this error comes ..

VMware Workstation unrecoverable error: (vcpu-0)

vcpu-0:VERIFY vmcore/vmm/main/physMem_monitor.c:1178

A log file is available in "E:\VMs\VMWares\MAC10\vmware.log".  

i attach log file to this post .

what is it exactly ?!!! 

thanks .

This is documented in the readme file for the unlocker.

If you are using hardware compatibility 11 or higher edit the VMX file and add

smc.version = "0"

Has anyone tested this on ESXi 6.0u1? works great on 6.0, but have to do a reinstall, and figured I upgrade at the same time to fix some other issues.

Awesome work by the way!

Works fine on 6.0u1, unlocker does not need to be re-installed if you do the patch upgrade to 6.0u1, but would require installing if you are doing a new build / reinstall for 6.0u1.

What are you trying to do that makes it lag?

Becuase it only has 128mb of video ram and thats not a lot so if you are doing 3D stuff it of course will lag.

Have you given the VM enough cpu's and ram?

It has absolutely nothing to do with the resources I have allocated to the virtual machine, it's the beam synchronization. I just need to know if there is a way to disable it in 10.11. This exact same problem happens in Yosemite but it can be fixed by disabling beam synchronization (which doesn't work in El Capitan).

Hi all,

up to now I had no luck with unlocker 2.0.8 on ESXi 6, build 3247720. The unlocker was installed successfully, but after reboot of the host a VM which boots from a OS X 10.6 ISO image crashes shortly after displaying the Apple logo. (VM version is 10). What could be wrong here? (Is 10.6 just too old for unlocker 2.0.8? I have no newer DVD available at the moment...)

Thanks for any help!

Chris

Hi all,

up to now I had no luck with unlocker 2.0.8 on ESXi 6, build 3247720. The unlocker was installed successfully, but after reboot of the host a VM which boots from a OS X 10.6 ISO image crashes shortly after displaying the Apple logo. (VM version is 10). What could be wrong here? (Is 10.6 just too old for unlocker 2.0.8? I have no newer DVD available at the moment...)

Thanks for any help!

Chris

Chris,

Snow Leopard Client/Workstation is not currently supported with unlocker 2.0.8, only Snow Leopard Server is supported, due to the Apple EULA and visualization on Snow Leopard, this changed from Lion onward with the Client/Workstation being supported. Donk has been working on an updated workaround, or you could go back to unlocker 2.0.7 which includes a patch to support Snow Leopard Client/Workstation, instructions in the readme.

Please note you will need to add the CPUID mask for current generation CPU's as 10.6.3 does not support i3, i5, i7 or Xeon 5600 Series processors or above until 10.6.8.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Windows 10 and Workstation 12

I try to run Unlocker and it does not find anything:

H5eIh5L.png

For some reason it cannot read the registry. Did you run this from an elevated command prompt?

I am running VMWare Workstation on Ubuntu 15.04 and I get this error when I run lnx-install.sh

./lnx-install.sh 
VMware Unlocker 2.0.7
===============================
Copyright: Dave Parsons 2011-15
Creating backup folder...
‘/usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-vmx’ -> ‘./backup/vmware-vmx’
‘/usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-vmx-debug’ -> ‘./backup/vmware-vmx-debug’
‘/usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-vmx-stats’ -> ‘./backup/vmware-vmx-stats’
‘/usr/lib/vmware/lib/libvmwarebase.so/libvmwarebase.so’ -> ‘./backup/libvmwarebase.so’
Patching...
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./unlocker.py", line 402, in <module>
    main()
  File "./unlocker.py", line 352, in main
    vmx_version = subprocess.check_output(["vmware", "-v"])
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 566, in check_output
    process = Popen(stdout=PIPE, *popenargs, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 710, in __init__
    errread, errwrite)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 1335, in _execute_child
    raise child_exception
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory

I am not too familiar with VMWare products so I apologize if this is a user error.

I am running VMWare Workstation on Ubuntu 15.04 and I get this error when I run lnx-install.sh

./lnx-install.sh 
VMware Unlocker 2.0.7
Creating backup folder...
‘/usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-vmx’ -> ‘./backup/vmware-vmx’
‘/usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-vmx-debug’ -> ‘./backup/vmware-vmx-debug’
‘/usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-vmx-stats’ -> ‘./backup/vmware-vmx-stats’
‘/usr/lib/vmware/lib/libvmwarebase.so/libvmwarebase.so’ -> ‘./backup/libvmwarebase.so’
Patching...
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./unlocker.py", line 402, in <module>
    main()
  File "./unlocker.py", line 352, in main
    vmx_version = subprocess.check_output(["vmware", "-v"])
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 566, in check_output
    process = Popen(stdout=PIPE, *popenargs, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 710, in __init__
    errread, errwrite)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 1335, in _execute_child
    raise child_exception
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory

I am not too familiar with VMWare products so I apologize if this is a user error.

Hi. It was a bug that was fixed in unlocker 2.0.8. Just get the latest version and try again. 

Just saw a blog posting saying that the entire team responsible for VMWare Workstation, VMWare Fusion, Player, etc. have all been let go by VMWare. These products are now apparently dead.

See here:

http://blog.chipx86.com/2016/01/26/a-tribute-to-vmware-workstation-fusion-and-hosted-ui/

I've stuck with WS11 for running my virtualized OSX. Looks like at some point I'll have to figure out an alternative with VirtualBox or another one. Sheesh... it was working so well too.

Just saw a blog posting saying that the entire team responsible for VMWare Workstation, VMWare Fusion, Player, etc. have all been let go by VMWare. These products are now apparently dead.

See here:

http://blog.chipx86.com/2016/01/26/a-tribute-to-vmware-workstation-fusion-and-hosted-ui/

I've stuck with WS11 for running my virtualized OSX. Looks like at some point I'll have to figure out an alternative with VirtualBox or another one. Sheesh... it was working so well too.

The work has been moved to China, VMware have stated no products are dead and Workstation and Fusion are profitable or them. Feel sorry for those on the teams losing their jobs, some were there almost from the start of VMware back in the late 90's. I remember seeing and getting VMware 1, as it was called, and how it was so useful for my development work back then.

Hi, 

I've ran this tool on ESXi 6.0 build 3380124

The installation seems to have run fine, as using vCenter I can power on a Mac OS X screen, but I hit two issues, 

I get a MKS failure when viewing the console, the process crashes, 

If i look at events for the VM, I can see constant reboots of the VM, with lines logged such as

Message on Mac OS X Server 10.4.7 (Retail-Disc): Click OK to restart the virtual machine or
Cancel to power off the virtual machine.
info
28/01/2016 15:11:55
Mac OS X Server 10.4.7 (Retail-Disc)
User

It's worth noting, I am running Mac OS X 10.4.7 built off the retail disc, and using the CPUID settings found in this forum post

The ESXi CPU is Intel Xeon E5-2680 v3 (Haswell)

Any help would be appreciated

Hi, 

I've ran this tool on ESXi 6.0 build 3380124

The installation seems to have run fine, as using vCenter I can power on a Mac OS X screen, but I hit two issues, 

I get a MKS failure when viewing the console, the process crashes, 

If i look at events for the VM, I can see constant reboots of the VM, with lines logged such as

Message on Mac OS X Server 10.4.7 (Retail-Disc): Click OK to restart the virtual machine or
Cancel to power off the virtual machine.
info
28/01/2016 15:11:55
Mac OS X Server 10.4.7 (Retail-Disc)
User

It's worth noting, I am running Mac OS X 10.4.7 built off the retail disc, and using the CPUID settings found in this forum post

The ESXi CPU is Intel Xeon E5-2680 v3 (Haswell)

Any help would be appreciated

You can only boot the Server versions of Tiger, Leopard and Snow Leopard due to Apple licensing. In the other thread you said it was Server version, is that correct? Can we continue this in the other thread which will become a useful reference pint for Tiger on VMware?

You can only boot the Server versions of Tiger, Leopard and Snow Leopard due to Apple licensing. In the other thread you said it was Server version, is that correct? Can we continue this in the other thread which will become a useful reference pint for Tiger on VMware?

Hi yes this will be fine, I am happy to continue in the other thread

it is in deed the server version.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I am running Mac OS 10.75 (Lion) in Windows 10 Pro with Unlocker 2.07 but would like to upgrade to Unlocker 2.08. When I tried to install Unlocker 2.08, there is an error message saying that the latest Darwin file can not be downloaded. Can anyone show me how to download the Darwin file when I install Unlocker 2.08?

Hello, I am running Mac OS 10.75 (Lion) in Windows 10 Pro with Unlocker 2.07 but would like to upgrade to Unlocker 2.08. When I tried to install Unlocker 2.08, there is an error message saying that the latest Darwin file can not be downloaded. Can anyone show me how to download the Darwin file when I install Unlocker 2.08?

Unlocker 2.0.8 attempts to download the VMware Tools for OS X (darwin.iso) from the VMware Repository, so you need internet access during the install. If you cannot access the repository for whatever reason, go to the following link where you can download the latest version.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/31-vmware-tools-for-os-x-darwiniso/

Hello Everone!

First, I wan't to thank you all for this great initiative, and I hope your desire for freedom in IT world will continue.  :yes:

I've been successfully running OSX server on ESXi for few years now, but last November I hit the bump. I migrated to Yosemite, and everything was perfect for the first month, or so. I had to shut down ESXi for the maintenance, and when I brought it back up the OSX VM won't start anymore (below is an image from the esxi console). It starts normally, but shuts down after about 30sec. I've tried tweaking vmx with numerous tries, but nothing helped. What did help was reverting to the snapshot from 3 weeks before. After restoring I've tried rebooting few times, and all seem to be ok. Another month went by I reboot VM and same thing happens again. I figured there must be some autoupdate process going on. So, I made sure the App Store updates are disabled, and VMware Tools updates as well. Then I went for another working snapshot restore, and few weeks later I get same thing all over again.  :wacko: Frustrated, decided to build completely new ESXi 6 (previous was 5.5) wiht the latest unlocker 2.0.8. I've installed Yosemite OS ( no server part) from the scratch including all updates to make sure new platform is problems free... It worked like a charm! The next step was to scratch faulty VM, and create the new one with the old vmdk... After booting in new server I get the same thing!!! The VM shuts down after 30s.  :blowup:

Do you guys have any clue what could that be? Is it Apple injecting some code in OS preventing it from running Server on fake-apple hardware? 

Thanks for any feedback.

BTW

ESXi runs on Asrock H77M-ITX

post-320818-0-04244900-1455800509_thumb.jpg

Has anyone tried this method on ESXi 6.5?  The VM boots on the ISO for a while, says ' waiting on root device ', then there's just a white like 'no smoking' sign. lol.  I converted the dmg to an iso using dmg2iso.  Maybe that's the problem.  Anyone have any ideas?  Would it help if i posted the vmware log?

Edit:  Also, how do i see the output of the python 'print' statements?  Would it be possible to import/create a logger and log the output instead?

Update: Issue Solved

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/303311-workstation-1112-player-712-fusion-78-and-esxi-6-mac-os-x-unlocker-2/page-20?do=findComment&comment=2219642

Has anyone tried this method on ESXi 6.5?  The VM boots on the ISO for a while, then there's just a white like 'no smoking' sign. lol.  I converted the dmg to an iso using dmg2iso.  Maybe that's the problem.  Anyone have any ideas?  Would it help if i posted the vmware log?

Edit:  Also, how do i see the output of the python 'print' statements?  Would it be possible to import/create a logger and log the output instead?

Is this a new beta version? I haven't seen that yet so cannot comment on whether it will work. To see what is hapenning just SSH in to the ESXi host and run the unlocker directly in the /etc/rc.local.d folder.

Thanks so much for the help.  You're right, i am running 6.0.  Not sure why i thought it was 6.5. lol. When i run the script directly, i get :

+ echo VMware ESXi 6.x Unlocker 2.0.8
VMware ESXi 6.x Unlocker 2.0.8
+ echo ===============================
+ echo Copyright: Dave Parsons 2011-15
+ export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin
+ [ -d /unlocker ]
+ logger -t unlocker Removing current patches
+ rm -rfv /unlocker
rm: can't remove '/unlocker': Device or resource busy

again, thanks a bunch for the help.

Thanks so much for the help.  You're right, i am running 6.0.  Not sure why i thought it was 6.5. lol. When i run the script directly, i get :

again, thanks a bunch for the help.

Do you have any guests running? If you do you must shut them down first.