Workstation 11/12, Player 7/12, Fusion 7/8 and ESXi 6 Mac OS X Unlocker 2

Donk

691 posts in this topic

I have only had time to test on Workstation Pro 12 oin Windows, but it is all working for me. You still need to do the smc.version = "0" change.

I only use the edition for Windows, nice info bro. Thank you.

Donk, for Linux small change required in unlocker for vm12 due to vmware changed path to one library.

Hi there. Yes can confirm that, just tested on Linux Mint and saw the issue. I will update the BASH script to check for different paths and then patch. Thanks.

can't get any osx version to work with vmware12 and linux (4.1.x), i manually edited the unlocker shell-scripts as well as the python-script underneath, so unlocker-setup seemed to work (so libvmwarebase.so instead of libvmwarebase.so.0 is modified)

however, booting stops right before login, depending on what hardware-version i choose, i get a scrambled screen (looks like four "mini-displays" showing the progress bar arranged side-by-side on top of the screen) or simply a black screen

i then tried to install a fresh yosemite.iso, which beachballed on booting the installer about half the progress bar, sitting there forever

some other problem i noticed is, i can't run any command in single user mode, entering a command and pressing enter simply jumps to the prompt again, doing noting (not even mounting or fsck did work)

Just upgraded from VMware Workstation V11 to VMware Workstation Pro 12 on a Windows 8.1 x64 host.  After running Unlocker 2.0.6 I am still able to boot my OS X Yosemite 10.10.4 VM with no problems.  For those who wondered - it still works.  YMMV.

s1m0ne

I'm also having the issue where a previously-working VM boots to almost exactly 50% of the progress bar, then idles out. No errors that I can find (but not an expert), and I can't figure out how to troubleshoot. The VM never exactly halts or becomes unresponsive, it just touches the disk less and less, and then stops. Verbose doesn't provide a lot of information either, the normal boot process, then the VMware balloon driver, then the VMware FB driver is the last to print anything to the verbose boot, saying that it's setting a resolution. No screen corruption or other problems, it just stops cold.

Only partially related to the unlocker, but I'm not sure where else I'd ask.

I'm running ESXi 6.0.0, unlocker 2.0.6, on a Dell PowerEdge R900 with 4 Xeon E7440s. When I boot any version of OS X (10.8-10.11), as soon as the kernel loads, the system instantly resets. Booting verbose just shows reading the kernel, even with Wait=Yes it instantly resets (leading me to believe something's funny with the CPUs). Not sure where to go from here, I've tried masking the CPU down to a core2duo, booting with FakeSMC instead of the VMWare SMC implementation, and it keeps happening. Tried hardware versions between 8 and 11, no changes anywhere. I'm at a complete loss here. 

Any suggestions? Anything I should grab and post to help?

I've purged vmware completely from my laptop and loaded everything again clean, applied no mods or tricks other than unlocker206, and my OSX VMs just get to 50% progress bar when booting (and much slower than previously) and then grind to a stop. I've reproduced this issue on my laptop and desktop both. Any useful troubleshooting info I can gather for you?

Same thing here, some more info that might be useful to help debug the issue:

The system appears to load as I can access all the network shares I created and it appears as a connected device on my network router's list. But something is going on that is preventing the display from loading.

I was able to access the system.log from a network share and found a bunch of entries like this at the end:

com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.metadata.mds[205]): Service exited due to signal: Segmentation fault: 11
com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.metadata.mds): Service only ran for 1 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 9 seconds.
com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.loginwindow[206]): Service exited due to signal: Illegal instruction: 4
com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.loginwindow): Service only ran for 1 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 9 seconds.

I know this isn't much help, but a confirmation that it can work.

I've been running Workstation 11 for perhaps 9 months, with an OS X 10.10.0 running fine. Unrelated (host) network issues caused me to try Workstation 12 pro. I had unlock 2.0.3, ran it without issue, and the OS X VM's booted normally. I then updated to 10.10.5, booted without any issues. Core i7, Windows 8.1 host. XCode 6.1.1, 6.4 and 7.0 builds targeting iOS run in the simulator with no issues (3D speed is, of course, limited but reasonable).

Donk, any hope for unlocker compatible with workstation 12 under linux?

There isn't anything else for me to patch but I do need to change the installation script to deal with a file location change. However at the moment I have a very serious family issue and do not have time to work on this just now. I will get to it when I have time. Sorry to disappoint folks.

There isn't anything else for me to patch but I do need to change the installation script to deal with a file location change. However at the moment I have a very serious family issue and do not have time to work on this just now. I will get to it when I have time. Sorry to disappoint folks.

Spoke too soon there is a change in how VMware built the Linux executables similar to the problem I had with ESXi 6. I have modified the unlocker and will test over the next day or so time permitting.

Donk, best regards, hope all goes well.

Thanks for your kind thoughts. My father has just been diagnosed with cancer and my mother fell and broke her wrist! Not a good couple of weeks.

Thanks for your kind thoughts. My father has just been diagnosed with cancer and my mother fell and broke her wrist! Not a good couple of weeks.

Very sorry to hear about the bad news.  Best wishes, and focus on the family - they're obviously what matters most.

I'm sorry about what happened to the author.

I just upgraded from the 11 to 12 in my Linux Mint and OSX works in VMware worstation 12 too, I would like to find the VMware tool but I don't know where to find the last darwin.iso

Link below to the latest darwin.iso from Fusion 8:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/31-vmware-tools-for-os-x-darwiniso/

Thanks for the supportive messages. The good news is I expect to upload 2.0.7 which fixes the Linux issues tomorrow (UK time).

Excellent, thanks for the continued work under difficult circumstances.

Sorry to hear bad news, hope they recover and get well soon.

How about ESXi 6.0 Update 1, does U1 affect the installation script?

No changes were needed .it works fine. Thanks for your thoughts.

2.0.7 released with fixes for Workstation 12 on Linux and the latest tools for OS X.

• Like 3

just to share for error installing:

VMware-Player-12.0.0-2985596.x86_64.bundle 

installed in Ubuntu 14.04 with python 2.7

IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/usr/lib/vmware/lib/libvmwarebase.so.0/libvmwarebase.so.0'

checked with:

unlocker.py line: 352

vmx_version = 'vmware -v' 

command vmware is not in the places, look that it need change for 'vmplayer -v' or fix char with 'VMware Workstation 12'
it will looks like below:
        vmx_version = 'VMware Workstation 12'
        if vmx_version.startswith('VMware Workstation 12'):
            vmx_so = True
            vmwarebase = '/usr/lib/vmware/lib/libvmwarebase.so/libvmwarebase.so'
        else:
            vmwarebase = '/usr/lib/vmware/lib/libvmwarebase.so.0/libvmwarebase.so.0'

just to share for error installing:

VMware-Player-12.0.0-2985596.x86_64.bundle 

installed in Ubuntu 14.04 with python 2.7

IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/usr/lib/vmware/lib/libvmwarebase.so.0/libvmwarebase.so.0'

checked with:

unlocker.py line: 352

vmx_version = 'vmware -v' 

command vmware is not in the places, look that it need change for 'vmplayer -v' or fix char with 'VMware Workstation 12'
it will looks like below:
        vmx_version = 'VMware Workstation 12'
            vmx_so = True
            vmwarebase = '/usr/lib/vmware/lib/libvmwarebase.so/libvmwarebase.so'
        else:
            vmwarebase = '/usr/lib/vmware/lib/libvmwarebase.so.0/libvmwarebase.so.0'

This is because the phython script is written for VMware Workstation. You can make the following changes in unlocker.py to get it to work.

Change (lines 352, 353)

vmx_version = subprocess.check_output(["vmware", "-v"])

to

vmx_version = subprocess.check_output(["vmplayer", "-v"])
if vmx_version.startswith('VMware Player 12'):

This is because the phython script is written for VMware Workstation. You can make the following changes in unlocker.py to get it to work.

Change (lines 352, 353)

vmx_version = subprocess.check_output(["vmware", "-v"])

to

vmx_version = subprocess.check_output(["vmplayer", "-v"])
if vmx_version.startswith('VMware Player 12'):

My mistake. Guess there is a 2.0.8 in my future.  :)