Workstation 11/12, Player 7/12, Fusion 7/8 and ESXi 6 Mac OS X Unlocker 2

Donk

691 posts in this topic

Hi,

I run Windows 8.1 and VMware Workstation 11. I wish to be able to create, from scratch, a virtual machine installing Yosemite, latest version.

All I have is Yosemite 10.10.1 file I downloaded from AppleStore "Install OS X Yosemite.app" and Unlocker 2.0.4

I do not want to use an existing vm available on the Internet. I wish to learn how to do from scratch.

I am missing an ISO file, VM Tools and specs for creating a working VM.

Can someone please kindly assist me on this?

I tried to google around but really failed to find a dedicated thread on how to install Yosemite on VMware Workstation 11 from scratch.

Thank you

Hi,

I run Windows 8.1 and VMware Workstation 11. I wish to be able to create, from scratch, a virtual machine installing Yosemite, latest version.

All I have is Yosemite 10.10.1 file I downloaded from AppleStore "Install OS X Yosemite.app" and Unlocker 2.0.4

I do not want to use an existing vm available on the Internet. I wish to learn how to do from scratch.

I am missing an ISO file, VM Tools and specs for creating a working VM.

Can someone please kindly assist me on this?

I tried to google around but really failed to find a dedicated thread on how to install Yosemite on VMware Workstation 11 from scratch.

Also, what is the requirement, in BIOS, for letting VMware Workstation work fine?

Thank you

SAngeli,

Have a look at the first three posts in the following thread, it should have all the support you need.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/290949-how-to-install-os-x-10x-snow-leopard-lion-mountain-lion-mavericks-and-yosemite-in-vmware-workstation-1011-or-player-67/

I wish to report back: I was able to succesfully install, from scratch, Yosemite 10.10.1 creating a brand new VM just as I desired to.

I basically downloaded the full Yosemite app from App Store (from a working Mac), converted it into ISO, installed unlocker, created a new VM, add 'smc.version = 0' to the VMX file in order to resolve the error "VMware Workstation unrecoverable error: (vcpu-0), installed Mac OS X, installed VMware Tools and updated to latest version.

I now need to work on getting it to properly run, like make it going faster, remove small lags when mouse move, speed up boot time, and learn more.

Thanks

I wish to report back: I was able to succesfully install, from scratch, Yosemite 10.10.1 creating a brand new VM just as I desired to.

I basically downloaded the full Yosemite app from App Store (from a working Mac), converted it into ISO, installed unlocker, created a new VM, add 'smc.version = 0' to the VMX file in order to resolve the error "VMware Workstation unrecoverable error: (vcpu-0), installed Mac OS X, installed VMware Tools and updated to latest version.

I now need to work on getting it to properly run, like make it going faster, remove small lags when mouse move, speed up boot time, and learn more.

Thanks

Do you get random freezups, I did not do it from scratch, I made mine in VMware Fusion and copied it over to Windows and opened it in VMWare workstation, I'm thinking this might be the problem.

-Greyy

UPDATE: So I bumped up the VM to 4 cores and 6GB ram and that has seemed clear up the random freezes.

Edited by greyy

For those trying to run Mac OS 10.6 under VMWare 7.1 running in Mac OS 10.9 and seeing the message:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The guest operating system is not Mac OS X Server.

This virtual machine will power off.

The Unlocker does indeed work. But the instructions in the read me offer two additional critical steps:

If you are using a 64-bit installation of OS X:

1. Copy efi64-srvr.rom to guest folder.

2. Edit the vmx file and add:

efi64.filename = "efi64-srvr.rom"

These probably couldn't be less helpful. I eventually figured it out by Googling "What is a vmx file?". Here is how I would write them:

1. Copy firmware/efi64-srvr.rom to "Documents/Virtual Machines/Mac OS X 10.6 64-bit.vmwarevm"
(note that this is a bundle -control-click to open it).
2. Open "Documents/Virtual Machines/Mac OS X 10.6 64-bit.vmwarevm/Mac OS X 10.6 64-bit.vmx" and add
efi64.filename = "efi64-srvr.rom"
as the second line of the file.

Hopefully this will help others who found the read me instructions less than useful.

Apologies if stupid, but which script do I need to run under esxi 5.1 - or is this the wrong version for esx?

Thanks

You need the Unlocker version 1.3.0 or 1.3.1 for ESXi 5.x not version 2.0.4 which is currently only works for Fusion 7, Workstation 11 and Player 7

Don't think this has been asked yet so I'll ask. Upon install I got:

VMware Unlocker 2.0.4
========================
© Dave Parsons 2011-15
The system cannot find the path specified.

in the command prompt. After these errors the installation proceeded like normal with "VMware is installed at: C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\" and so on... Should I be concerned about these errors, will they mess anything up in the future. If not, why did I get them.

Details:
I'm using the latest unlocker (2.0.4) and I'm running VMware 11.0 on Windows 8. If you need any more details, please let me know! =)

Thanks in advance!

-CydiaFan1223

I'm running 10.10.3 in VMware WS11 (On Win8.1x64) and unlocker 2.0.4. I also installed VMware Tools which was included with unlocker. I have everything working well, including iMessage/Facetime but I'm still limited to just 1024x768. I see other people saying they are able to select higher resolutions. Any ideas?

Geez, never mind, I'm an idiot. In VMware, on the menu I had to select View>Autosize>Autofit Guest. I had it on Stretch Guest.

Don't think this has been asked yet so I'll ask. Upon install I got:

VMware Unlocker 2.0.4
========================
© Dave Parsons 2011-15

in the command prompt. After these errors the installation proceeded like normal with "VMware is installed at: C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\" and so on... Should I be concerned about these errors, will they mess anything up in the future. If not, why did I get them.

Details:
I'm using the latest unlocker (2.0.4) and I'm running VMware 11.0 on Windows 8. If you need any more details, please let me know! =)

Thanks in advance!

-CydiaFan1223

Where is VMware installed on your PC? Also can you use the registry editor and find "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\VMware, Inc.\VMware Workstation", and tell me what InstallPath is set to in the value field.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank Donk for all the work on this unlocker.

Is there any plan for the support for esxi6.0? I could be the volunteer for the test:)

I have spent months trying to get it to work and there is something in the code stopping the unlocker for working. At this point I need to debug the VMX process on ESXi and I cannot get that working reliably to move forward. Anyone have any suggestions on using GDBServer on ESXi?

• 4 weeks later...

I am running Ubuntu 14.04 with VmWare Workstation 11 installed. I am able to run Mavericks successfully, but only with the sound card disabled. When I enable it, and OS X tries to make a sound I get

VMware Workstation unrecoverable error: (vcpu-0)

Unexpected signal: 11.

I really need sound on Mavericks, and it works fine without it, but would work better with. Did y'all fix it or do you have any ideas?

I am running Ubuntu 14.04 with VmWare Workstation 11 installed. I am able to run Mavericks successfully, but only with the sound card disabled. When I enable it, and OS X tries to make a sound I get

Unexpected signal: 11.

I really need sound on Mavericks, and it works fine without it, but would work better with. Did y'all fix it or do you have any ideas?

A solution was recently found http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/305667-vmware-workstation-111-for-linux-sound-causes-vcpu-0-unexpected-signal-11-error/

Hi all,

well, maverick worked like a charm on Workstation 10 using the unlocker.

I could upgrade to yosemtite .dmg (app store) by creating a new HFS+ disk, it did install but was very slow and CPU consuming, and with only an small display available.

Uninstalling VMW10 and installing VMW11 and using the 2.0.4 unlocker makes the VMs unable to boot

(either Maverick or Yosemite)

I also created a new VM and tried to install the .dmg Yosemite with it, with 10.10 choices, I guess it's not the good process but anyway, I always get the same kind of "crash"

with a popup window :

vcpu-0:VERIFY vmcore/vmm/main/physMem_monitor.c:1123
A log file is available in "F:\Yosemite VM 10.10 for VMW11\vmware.log".  
You can request support.  
To collect data to submit to VMware support, choose "Collect Support Data" from the Help menu.
You can also run the "vm-support" script in the Workstation folder directly.
We will respond on the basis of your support entitlement.

When I analyze the log files, I see VMW tries to open a config.ini but VMW11 saves preferences.ini files in ...appdata/roaming...

Any Idea of what is wrong ?

Ok sorry, the answer was somewhere in the forum :

Need to add 'smc.version = 0' to the VMX file in order to resolve 'vmcore/vmm/main/physMem_monitor.c:1123'.

Makes it work now :)

• 2 weeks later...

2.0.6 is out and allows the use of vCenter to manage OS X on ESXi hosts. Many thanks again to Sam B. Also note that I am also hosting all the releases of unlocker as well. So you can get it without registering here, which is something I have been asked to do a few times.

ok, total newbian here.  do i need a boot iso for vmware or can i just run the installation iso for os x?

it seeems i am missing something here after i unlock vm7

ok, total newbian here.  do i need a boot iso for vmware or can i just run the installation iso for os x?

it seeems i am missing something here after i unlock vm7

lizbeth,

Have a look at the following How to, it should answer all your questions:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/290949-how-to-install-os-x-10x-snow-leopard-lion-mountain-lion-mavericks-and-yosemite-in-vmware-workstation-1011-or-player-67/

the vmware player even after unlocking, moving the efi file and editing the other it will not run my retail dvd iso

oops i miss your post.  thank you!