Donk

Workstation 11/12, Player 7/12, Fusion 7/8 and ESXi 6 Mac OS X Unlocker 2

679 posts in this topic

Advertisement

Completely removd VMWare Workstaition 11, deleted vmware folder, ran ccleaner, rebooted.

Installed VMWare 11 to default dir c:\program files x86\vmware

Installed Python 2.7.to c:\program files x86\vmware\phython

Ran the win-install.cmd to path vmware

Rebooted

When trying to launch OS X 10.10 Yosemite for vmware for Windows 8.1 x64, it stalls half way though the launch to the desktop.

After inspecting the console window, it cannot find python.  The readme states "The python.exe file must be on the executable PATH. If it is not on PATH please
edit win-install.cmd to point to the installation path", what do i change in the win-install.cmd to reflect the path that python has been installed to ?  I'm not a programmer, and not sure what to change/edit in the .cmd file.

Thanks very much for releasing this update. Will report back once it's working.

The code requires Python 2.7 to work. Most Linux distros and OS X ship with a compatible Python interpreter and should work without requiring any additional software.

Would you expect a Python wrapper such as py2exe to work?  Maybe somebody can confirm if they've had success with this method...

Completely removd VMWare Workstaition 11, deleted vmware folder, ran ccleaner, rebooted.

Installed VMWare 11 to default dir c:\program files x86\vmware

Installed Python 2.7.to c:\program files x86\vmware\phython

Ran the win-install.cmd to path vmware

Rebooted

When trying to launch OS X 10.10 Yosemite for vmware for Windows 8.1 x64, it stalls half way though the launch to the desktop.

After inspecting the console window, it cannot find python.  The readme states "The python.exe file must be on the executable PATH. If it is not on PATH please

edit win-install.cmd to point to the installation path", what do i change in the win-install.cmd to reflect the path that python has been installed to ?  I'm not a programmer, and not sure what to change/edit in the .cmd file.

Thanks very much for releasing this update. Will report back once it's working.

When you install the Python , you can chose the "Entire feature will be installed on local hard driver" in "Add python.exe to Path " . And root your computer . the Python will be OK .

You have two options:

1) Modify win-install.cmd to point to your Python installation - you must edit Line 40 where it says "python.exe vmxsmc.py" to point to the location that you installed Python on your system:

(e.g. change the line to "path\to\python.exe vmxsmc.py")

2) Edit Windows' PATH environment variable to include your Python installation:

Right click on My Computer / This PC -> Properties -> Advanced System Settings -> Environment Variables... -> find "Path" in the top pane and click Edit... -> add the path to python.exe where you installed it on your system, separated from the existing paths by a semicolon. (e.g. "C:\path\to\python\installation\") - but only to the folder containing the executable, don't add python.exe itself to the path.

Would you expect a Python wrapper such as py2exe to work?  Maybe somebody can confirm if they've had success with this method...

I will be looking at this next. There was a decision to release it as-is now to allow some degree of functionality to be available to those who want it. The thread is in this forum on the unlocker status.

hi im on linux , should be newest python availabe, i get errors using the install script

VMware Unlocker 2.0.0
===============================
Copyright: Dave Parsons 2011-14
Creating backup folder...
‘/usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-vmx’ -> ‘./backup/vmware-vmx’
‘/usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-vmx-debug’ -> ‘./backup/vmware-vmx-debug’
‘/usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-vmx-stats’ -> ‘./backup/vmware-vmx-stats’
‘/usr/lib/vmware/lib/libvmwarebase.so.0/libvmwarebase.so.0’ -> ‘./backup/libvmwarebase.so.0’
Patching...
  File "./vmxsmc.py", line 66
    print '+LKS Memcpy: 0x' + lks_cpy.encode('hex')
                          ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

after that, nothing seems to be unlocked

have a nice day to everybody

hi im on linux , should be newest python availabe, i get errors using the install script

VMware Unlocker 2.0.0

‘/usr/lib/vmware/lib/libvmwarebase.so.0/libvmwarebase.so.0’ -> ‘./backup/libvmwarebase.so.0’

Patching...

^

What Linux distro? And what is the output of python -V from the terminal?

It is stop in Boot Manager .

I was used the *.dmg .

VMware Unlocker 2.0.0
Patching...
                          ^

The python version error , you should used the version 2.7.* , not is 3.*

It is stop in Boot Manager .

I was used the *.dmg .

The python version error , you should used the version 2.7.* , not is 3.*

Of course, the encode issue in Python 3. Again something for next release to fix. Hopefully will sort out fixes quickly.

Of course, the encode issue in Python 3. Again something for next release to fix. Hopefully will sort out fixes quickly.

Yeap. I got it on Arch Linux where Python defaults 3.4.2 Changing the install script from "python" to "python2" did the trick.

Hey , I meet a  problem about , the unsuccessful.tual SCSI CDROM Drive (0.0) . And the next the VM will going in the Boot Manager .

An the end , I came the Boot Manager ->EFI Internal Shell , I saw blk0 and blk1 is (null) .

What should I do ?

I can confirm it now works perfectly, the trick was to check "Add phython.exe to path" during the install.  Thank you Donk for this, you made my day.

python.jpg

At first I like to thank you for a great Job. I'm only an interested user, not a programmer. This may explain my question. I have a WS11 running on Windows 8.1. I installed python 2.7. The path to python now is

C:\Program Files (x86)\Python27\python.exe

In the next step I tried to change the path in the win-install.cmd to C:\Program Files (x86)\Python27\

When I start the win-install.cmd I always see something like "the command C.\Program is wrong written..."

What is my failure?

Thanks God we have you to play with MacOSX on Windows or Linux.

Edit: v2.0.1 is missing the Darwin.iso file :(

How can I change the VRAM , it is always is 128M ? Maybe it is great number on the Old Mac version , but in  Yosemite it is not enough .

So , what should I do Donk ?

Thanks God we have you to play with MacOSX on Windows or Linux.

Edit: v2.0.1 is missing the Darwin.iso file :(

Oops  - messed up the permissions and didn't compress correctly. I will upload a 2.0.2 later today. Can't do it at the moment as I am not at home.

How can I change the VRAM , it is always is 128M ? Maybe it is great number on the Old Mac version , but in  Yosemite it is not enough .

So , what should I do Donk ?

I don't know what can be done, this is not something the unlocker can fix. I think it is hard coded limit on the VMware SVGA2 virtual GPU. Suggest you start a new topic to dicuss this with others.

Hi, I had the python and unlocker 2 up and working but I face another problem:

when I setup a machine with 10.8/10.9/10.10 ( Darwin14-64 ) the machine stop straight away with this error:

VMware Workstation unrecoverable error: (vcpu-0)

vcpu-0:VERIFY vmcore/vmm/main/physMem_monitor.c:1123

A log file is available in "C:\Users\xxxxx\Documents\Virtual Machines\OS X 10.10\vmware.log".  

You can request support.  

To collect data to submit to VMware support, choose "Collect Support Data" from the Help menu.

You can also run the "vm-support" script in the Workstation folder directly.

We will respond on the basis of your support entitlement.

I have others machine running on 64 bit without errors.....

when I setup a machine with 10.8/10.9/10.10 ( Darwin14-64 ) the machine stop straight away with this error:

A log file is available in "C:\Users\xxxxx\Documents\Virtual Machines\OS X 10.10\vmware.log".  

You can request support.  

To collect data to submit to VMware support, choose "Collect Support Data" from the Help menu.

I tried 10.7 32 bit and it run.......

You can request support.  

I tried 10.7 32 bit and it run.......

Hello, I have the same error as rinegato. I have tried to install 10.10 and I have tried to start a installed 10.8 (I have upgrated from VM Ware Workstation 10 to 11). My host operating system is Ubuntu 14.04. Sorry for my bad english.....

Hello, I have the same error as rinegato. I have tried to install 10.10 and I have tried to start a installed 10.8 (I have upgrated from VM Ware Workstation 10 to 11). My host operating system is Ubuntu 14.04. Sorry for my bad english.....

Yes ...I tried to upgrade a working Maverick on Workstation 10 to 11 and same problem too....on workstation 10 had no problem with unlocker 1.30....

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   1 member

• Similar Content

• By fusion71au
      Run Vanilla OS X El Capitan, Sierra, or High Sierra in VMware Workstation 12 on a Windows Host

I wanted to make a simple guide on how to create a vanilla OS X El Capitan virtual machine running on a Windows host.  The virtual machine should be useful for testing El Capitan and also for creating installers for use on a real machine/hackintosh.

There are many guides and videos on the net about running OS X on Windows machines using pre-made VMWare disk images but you can never guarantee what else is in there….

I’ve gathered info for this guide from various threads in the Multibooting and Virtualisation section of this forum eg

Workstation 11/12, Player 7/12, Fusion 7/8 and ESXi 6 Mac OS X Unlocker 2 by @Donk How to Install OS X 10.x from Snow Leopard to El Capitan in VMware Workstation 10/12, Player 6/8 or ESXi 5/6 by @MSOK HOW TO: Create a bootable El Capitan ISO for VMware Credit and thanks to @Donk, @Albert Nietsnie and @MSOK for all their hard work in creating and testing the VMware Unlocker program.

Requirements
      Intel PC with four or more CPU cores running Windows 7 X64 or later OS (2 or more cores needed for OS X) 4GB or more RAM (2GB or more will be needed for OS X) Hard Disk with at least 40GB free for Virtual Machine VMware Workstation 12 or later VMware Unlocker 2.0.7 or later Install OS X El Capitan app and Mac or Hack to prepare installation iso <-- Now, no longer necessary to have previous access to a Mac or Hack by building the Installer.app from scratch - see post#41 16GB or larger exFAT formatted USB stick to transfer El Capitan iso from Mac/Hack to Host PC Prepare Installation ISO on your Mac or Hack
      1.  On your Mac or Hack, download "Install OS X El Capitan.app" from the App Store into your Applications folder.
      2.  Unmount any attached install image/InstallESD.dmg (if currently mounted) by rebooting the system or running the hdiutil unmount command in terminal eg

3.  Download and unzip the CECI.tool (attached to this post) into your ~/Downloads folder. The commands in this executable script are shown below for informational purposes….

4.  Open OS X terminal, then run the following commands to execute the script:
      cd downloads chmod +x CECI.tool ./CECI.tool 5.  At the end of the process, you will have an El Capitan iso on your desktop - copy this onto an exFAT formatted USB for use on the PC Host later.

Update: @shela has created an ISO generating script compatible with OS X 10.6-10.12: create_osx_iso post #362.

Install and Patch VMware Workstation 12 on your PC
      1.  Download and install VMWare Workstation Player 12 or later
      2.  Download and extract Unlocker 2.0.7 or later to your USB stick…
      3.  Run the win-install.cmd as administrator by right clicking the file in Windows explorer or run it from an Administrative Command Prompt.

Create an El Capitan Virtual Machine
      1.  Double click on the VMware Workstation 12 Player icon on your desktop and click “Create a New Virtual Machine”.  Choose “I will install the operating system later” at the How will you install screen….

2.  Select Apple Mac OS X as the Guest operating system and OS X 10.11 as the version.  By default, an OS X 10.11 folder will be created in your Documents\Virtual Machines folder.

3.  Under Specify Disk Capacity, you can leave the default 40GB or set a larger value.  I personally store the virtual disk as a single file.  Click Finish and you will see OS X 10.11 on the Main Screen of Workstation 12.

4.  Next, we need to edit the virtual machine settings to map the virtual SATA CD/DVD drive to the El Capitan installation iso we created earlier.

5.  To prevent the virtual machine from crashing in Windows, the virtualHW.version set in the vmx configuration file needs to be changed from 12 to 10 (alternatively, the line smc.version = "0" can be added to the file).  The OS X 10.11.vmx file can be edited with the WordPad program (navigate to the OS X 10.11 virtual machine folder with Windows Explorer and right click on the file to open in WordPad).

6.  For HW10, set USB compatibility to USB 2.0, otherwise your mouse and keyboard might not work in the virtual machine.

7.  Finally click “Play virtual machine”

Installation of El Capitan
      Installation should be relatively straight forward, just following the prompts of the OS X installer:
      1.  Select language, agree to legal terms

2.  Use Disk Utility from the Utilities Menu to erase and format the virtual hard drive as a single partition GUID Mac OS X Extended.  I’ve named the drive Macintosh HD but you can enter whatever you like eg El_Capitan.

3.  Quit DU and choose Macintosh HD to install El Capitan on.

4.  After 20-30 min (depending on how fast your system is), the installation will complete and the VM will automatically reboot…

5.  At the welcome screen, choose your country and keyboard layout.  You can skip transfer information, location services and logging in with your Apple ID if you wish…

6.  Create a User Account and select your Time Zone.  You can skip sending diagnostics and usage data to Apple….

7.  Finally, you will arrive at the El Capitan Desktop.  You should eject the Installation iso now by right clicking and selecting “Eject OS X Base System”.  This will allow you to install VMware Tools….

8.  After rebooting, the VM can now be resized or run at full screen resolution.  Audio and network/internet should also work OOB.

SMBIOS Customization and iMessage Vars
      To make the Virtual Machine more "Mac like", you can edit the vmx file to add unique identifiers from a real Mac's SMBIOS -
      eg for an iMac 11,3 SMBIOS, you can enter the following lines....
      smbios.reflectHost = "FALSE" board-id.reflectHost = "FALSE" board-id = "Mac-F2238BAE" hw.model.reflectHost = "FALSE" hw.model = "iMac11,3" serialNumber.reflectHost = "FALSE" serialNumber = "W80#######6" Refer How to spoof real Mac in VMware - Multi-booting and Virtualisation.

The critical variables for iMessage/Facetime activation are MLB & ROM.  By default, VMware "reflects" the host's MLB and ROM since it assumes you are running the OSX guest on a real Mac host - see post#42 by @Donk.

If the host is a Windows PC, the following lines need to be added to the vmx file (requires virtualHW.version 12 and smc.version = "0")....
      efi.nvram.var.ROM.reflectHost = "FALSE" efi.nvram.var.MLB.reflectHost = "FALSE" system-id.enable = "TRUE" and the MLB, ROM and optionally system-id entered manually eg
      efi.nvram.var.MLB = "W80######BA1A" (MLB can be 13 or 17 characters long, alphanumeric string) efi.nvram.var.ROM = "<=>?@A" (ROM is entered here as a 6 character ASCII string) uuid.bios = "## ## ## ## ## ## ## ##-## ## ## ## ## ## ## ##" <---Optional (if you want to inject a given system-id hexadecimal value) Note the output for ROM from imessage_debug is a 12 character hexadecimal that needs to be entered here as a 6 character ASCII string eg using an Hex to ASCII converter we find that "3c3d3e3f4041" hex is equivalent to   "<=>?@A".

Vanilla Mavericks and Yosemite
      The same VM settings for El Capitan will also boot and run vanilla installations of OS X Mavericks and Yosemite .  Attached to this post are installer scripts to create bootable Mavericks (CMI.tool) and Yosemite (CYI.tool) ISOs for VirtualBox and VMware.

With the respective OS X installer apps in the Applications folder, download and run the installer tools using terminal ie

To create a Mavericks ISO on your desktop
      cd downloads chmod +x CMI.tool ./CMI.tool To create a Yosemite ISO on your desktop
      cd downloads chmod +x CYI.tool ./CYI.tool Here is a screenshot of the VM running Mavericks 10.9.5...

Enjoy

Update for Sierra 10.12
      The above settings still work for macOS Sierra after upgrading to VMware Workstation 12.5 and unlocker 2.0.8 - see post #13.

Update for High Sierra 10.13
      See post#30 & post#41 which describes how to build "Install macOS High Sierra.app" on the fly from installer files downloaded beforehand in /SharedSupport folder.
      CECI.zip
      CYI.tool.zip
      CMI.tool.zip
    • By David-B
      This version of VMware Unlocker is modified to support VMware Workstation 14. It has not undergone extensive testing, but from the little I have used it, it appears to be working properly on VMware Workstation 14.

The original VMware Unlocker is available here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/339-unlocker/

The changes that were made to the code to enable this patcher to work are available here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/303311-workstation-1112-player-712-fusion-78-and-esxi-6-mac-os-x-unlocker-2/?p=2503855. Other than this change, only the install scripts and the patcher exe for Windows was modified.
    • By Donk
      Mac OS X Unlocker for VMware V2.0

Please ask questions in this thread http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/303311-workstation-1112-player-712-fusion-78-and-esxi-6-mac-os-x-unlocker-2/
      1. Introduction

Unlocker 2 is designed for Workstation 11, Player 7, ESXi 6 and Fusion 7.

If you are using an earlier product please continue using Unlocker 1

Version 2 has been tested against:
      Workstation 11/12 on Windows and Linux
      Player 7 & Workstation Player 12 on Windows and Linux
      Fusion 7/8 on Mavericks and Yosemite
      ESXi 6.0

The patch code carries out the following modifications dependent on the product
      being patched:
      Fix vmware-vmx and derivatives to allow Mac OS X to boot
      Fix vmwarebase .dll or .so to allow Apple to be selected during VM creation
      Fix libvmkctl.so on ESXi 6 to allow use with vCenter

Download a copy of the latest VMware Tools for OS X

Note that not all products recognise the darwin.iso via install tools menu item.
      You will have to manually mount the darwin.iso for example on Workstation 11 and Player 7.

The vmwarebase code does not need to be patched on OS X or ESXi so you will see a
      message on those systems telling you that it will not be patched.

In all cases make sure VMware is not running, and any background guests have
      been shutdown.

The code is now Python as it makes the Unlocker easier to run and maintain on ESXi.
      There are some challenges to write the code as ESXi has a subset of Python 2.7 which
      constrains some modules that can be used.

2. Prerequisites

The code requires Python 2.7 to work. Most Linux distros, ESXi and OS X ship with a compatible
      Python interpreter and should work without requiring any additional software.

Windows has a packaged version of the Python script using PyInstaller, and so does not
      require Python to be installed.

3. Limitations

If you are using VMware Player or Workstation on Windows you may get a core dump.

Latest Linux and ESXi products are OK and do not show this problem.

IMPORTANT:

If you create a new VM using version 11 hardware VMware will stop and create a core dump.There are two options to work around this issue:
      1. Change the VM to be HW 10 - this does not affect performance.
      2. Edit the VMX file and add:
      smc.version = "0" |
      4. Windows

On Windows you will need to either run cmd.exe as Administrator or using
      Explorer right click on the command file and select "Run as administrator".

win-install.cmd - patches VMware
      win-uninstall.cmd - restores VMware
      win-update-tools.cmd - retrieves latest OS X guest tools

5. Linux

On Linux you will need to be either root or use sudo to run the scripts.

You may need to ensure the Linux scripts have execute permissions
      by running chmod +x against the 2 files.

lnx-install.sh - patches VMware
      lnx-uninstall.sh - restores VMware
      lnx-update-tools.cmd - retrieves latest OS X guest tools

6. Mac OS X

On Mac OS X you will need to be either root or use sudo to run the scripts.
      This is really only needed if you want to use client versions of Mac OS X.

You may need to ensure the OS X scripts have execute permissions

osx-install.sh - patches VMware
      osx-uninstall.sh - restores VMware

7. ESXi

You will need to transfer the zip file to the ESXi host either using vSphere client or SCP.

Once uploaded you will need to either use the ESXi support console or use SSH to
      run the commands. Use the unzip command to extract the files.

<<< WARNING: use a datastore volume to run the scripts >>>

Please note that you will need to reboot the host for the patches to become active.
      The patcher is embbedded in a shell script local.sh which is run at boot from /etc/rc.local.d.

You may need to ensure the ESXi scripts have execute permissions

esxi-install.sh - patches VMware
      esxi-uninstall.sh - restores VMware

Note:
      1. Any changes you have made to local.sh will be lost. If you have made changes to
      that file, you will need to merge them into the supplied local.sh file.
      2. The unlocker runs at boot time to patch the relevant files and it now survives
      an upgrade or patch to ESXi as local.sh is part of the persisted local state.

8. Thanks

Thanks to Zenith432 for originally building the C++ unlocker and Mac Son of Knife
      (MSoK) for all the testing and support.

Thanks also to Sam B for finding the solution for ESXi 6 and helping me with
      debugging expertise. Sam also wrote the code for patching ESXi ELF files.

History

12/12/14 2.0.0
      First release

13/13/14 2.0.1
      Removed need for Python for Windows

13/13/14 2.0.2
      darwin.iso was missing from zip file

02/01/15 2.0.3
      Added EFI firmware files to remove Server check
      Refactored Python code

07/01/15 2.0.4
      Added View USB Service to Windows batch files
      Fixed broken GOS Table patching on Linux

18/06/15 2.0.5
      ESXi 6 working
      Latest tools from Fusion 7.1.2

20/06/15 2.0.6
      ESXi 6 patch for smcPresent vCenter compatibility

16/09/15 2.0.7
      Workstation 12 on Linux fixes

14/11/15 2.0.8
      Player 12 on Linux fixes
      Get latest VMware tools command
      Removed firmware files
      Moved to PyInstaller 3.0

© 2011-2015 Dave Parsons
    • By phantom2000
      I'm tyring to run iATKOS S3 V2 on VMware Fusion 6(on Mavericks). I tried to set up Fusion with the iso file but when I start the VM, it says "The guest operating system is not MacOS X Server". Then I have downloaded the Fusion Unlocker v1.2.0 but I can't seem to get it to work. I have taken the execution permissions for the files install.sh, uninstall.sh and Unlocker.osx file by running the following commands,
      sudo chmod +x /Users/tim/Desktop/VMware/unlock-all-v120/osx/install.sh sudo chmod +x /Users/tim/Desktop/VMware/unlock-all-v120/osx/uninstall.sh sudo chmod +x /Users/tim/Desktop/VMware/unlock-all-v120/osx/unlocker.osx Then I tried to run the install.sh script using the command,
      sudo /Users/tim/Desktop/VMware/unlock-all-v120/osx/install.sh But I get this error message,
      TimBok:~ tim$ sudo /Users/tim/Desktop/VMware/unlock-all-v120/osx/install.sh Password: VMware Unlocker 1.2.0 =============================== Copyright: Dave Parsons 2011-13 Patching... /Users/tim/Desktop/VMware/unlock-all-v120/osx/install.sh: line 12: ./Unlocker.OSX: No such file or directory TimBok:~ tim$ I need to know what I can do here to get rid os this issue and run the VM.